Roboticist and AIs making.

Unoki
Byond Username: Unoki

Roboticist and AIs making.

Post by Unoki » #666546

Hello everyone, Yeah this another policy discussion about silicons joy...

So this policy Thread is about roboticist making one or more ais for no reason other than lolz !

Why is it bad:
-It ruins the gameplay of the main AI(Robbing the main AI of their gameplay of opening doors feels like a dick move to the ai).
-Ghost can metagame (knowing that the ai is malf) by becoming Positronic Brain and asking to be AI.

How can this be fixed.
Making another AI without any ic justification like (Ai is malf, Ai is dead, or at least ask the main AI first if they wish to have another silicon friend) will get you noted.
Asking to be made an AI as a Positronic Brain with the ghost knowledge that the main ai is malf will get you noted.
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Re: Roboticist and AIs making.

Post by Tearling » #666552

Unoki wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:51 pm Hello everyone, Yeah this another policy discussion about silicons joy...

So this policy Thread is about roboticist making one or more ais for no reason other than lolz !

Why is it bad:
-It ruins the gameplay of the main AI(Robbing the main AI of their gameplay of opening doors feels like a dick move to the ai).
-Ghost can metagame (knowing that the ai is malf) by becoming Positronic Brain and asking to be AI.

How can this be fixed.
Making another AI without any ic justification like (Ai is malf, Ai is dead, or at least ask the main AI first if they wish to have another silicon friend) will get you noted.
Asking to be made an AI as a Positronic Brain with the ghost knowledge that the main ai is malf will get you noted.
Why is it good:
-It creates more silicon roleplay
-It creates more AI shenanigans that create unique and memorable rounds

Is it common for ghosts to metagame that the AI is malf and become AIs themselves? I figured that wasn't that common, given that I don't usually see roboticists making spare AIs.

Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #666576

Finally, someone said it. Yes, for the love of god, ban roboticists from making a second AI for no reason, there's barely enough for one AI to do, let alone two, it's a huge "stepping on toes" issue, like imagine if a HoP promoted an assistant to second virologist. What the fuck does the first one do, then?
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #666577

i had seen multiple times that people go secondary ai just to see if they can snitch on main ai, mostly on modsuit

I normally like teaming with ais, but i just dont wanna see the "are you malf?" in binary anymore
Unoki

Post by Unoki » #666578

Tearling wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:13 pm
Why is it good:
-It creates more silicon roleplay
-It creates more AI shenanigans that create unique and memorable rounds

Is it common for ghosts to metagame that the AI is malf and become AIs themselves? I figured that wasn't that common, given that I don't usually see roboticists making spare AIs.

-The silicon roleplay result always in "alright move you to sat."
-When it happens every 3-4 rounds it doesn't become so memorable.

I don't mind another AIs it's just ask for main ai permision first, And no it isn't common but this behavior shouldn't be allowed.
Kubisopplay
Byond Username: Kubisopplay

Post by Kubisopplay » #666581

One of easiest metagaming strats, fucks malfs over, annoys normal AIs, usually causes law conflict if the robo is feeling very funny. Nothing of importance will be lost with axing this behavior.
Silicon main, enough said
Tell me how badly I fucked up here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32575
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #666615

Roboticists should require permission to make cyborgs or mechs too.
Let's tie both arms behind their back instead of just one.
That's easier than Genetics approach where you just hammer down everything worth having and leaving behind transcendent olfaction and cryokinesis
Unoki

Post by Unoki » #666684

Helios wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:22 am Roboticists should require permission to make cyborgs or mechs too.
Let's tie both arms behind their back instead of just one.
That's easier than Genetics approach where you just hammer down everything worth having and leaving behind transcendent olfaction and cryokinesis
This seems a bit excessive, Borgs and mechs don't have that much negative impact to AI gameplay.
Unless the roboticist as a non antag proceed to mass produce unsync borg for no reason, I guess.
Mechs aren't that hard to deal with them tbh.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #666692

I don't think I've ever had a purely negative result from a secondary AI being created as the starting/"Main" AI. Worst case, eventually one AI has to try and kill the other for law reasons, but that's not really any different than any other antag-adjacent player interaction.

If Malf AIs are routinely being screwed by new AIs, it sounds more like a code solution could be in place. It's an odd issue in my experience, though; usually when there's a Malf, the ghosts are scrambling to become a synced borg.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #666842

zxaber wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:33 pm I don't think I've ever had a purely negative result from a secondary AI being created as the starting/"Main" AI. Worst case, eventually one AI has to try and kill the other for law reasons, but that's not really any different than any other antag-adjacent player interaction.

If Malf AIs are routinely being screwed by new AIs, it sounds more like a code solution could be in place. It's an odd issue in my experience, though; usually when there's a Malf, the ghosts are scrambling to become a synced borg.
You know how to synch borgs/shells to other AI's. Most roboticists are single-cell organisms and have no idea how to do so. Getting screwed out of borgs or shells for the rest of the shift is a pretty garbage experience.
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #666894

One round I made about twelve AIs, each with an additional freeform law that was just a prequel quote, "The council will decide your fate" or "I love democracy" or something like that. There was no problem, since I was able to get each AI its own shell so they could move themselves where they pleased.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #666909

Unoki wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:51 pm Why is it bad:
Does it ruin the gameplay of the main AI everytime? Is this something related to laws?

We don't really operate on the concept that people will metagame as a means to keep things from existing. Otherwise, why would we have any ghost roles?
Unoki wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:51 pm How can this be fixed.
What does this do for player agency?

How can one know for certain that someone is abusing ghost knowledge?
Hugs
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #666918

if the robo is making a new AI without asking the station AI first, station AI should just assume the secondary one to be harmful and order the borg to dispose of it.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #666919

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:24 pmDoes it ruin the gameplay of the main AI everytime? Is this something related to laws?
Yes, it does. No, it is not (typically) related to laws.

Let's consider what an AI's (non-social) actions will be in a typical shift:

85% Managing doors (whether opening them, or bolting them during fights to prevent human harm)
5% managing security records
5% sending commands to simplebots
4% miscellaneous remote engineering tasks (setting air alarms in the event of gas leaks, occasionally doing the sm because there are no engineers)
1% calling the shuttle

80%+ (by my own subjective observations) of AI players don't know how to command simplebots or set up the sm. So that boils down their possible actions to opening doors and managing records.

So their gameplay is already extremely limited outside of the stalking and social aspects, which, y'know, are GOOD, but people are signing up for AI, not for a Nanotransen version of Comms agent.

And then some jackass roboticist builds a second AI, who now will compete with you over your very limited action pool - And that's the BEST case scenario, is that they steal your limited action pool. The worst case scenario is they fight you by fucking with your APC, try to kill you, out you as malf, sabotage the station because they have different laws, etc.

Robotics building a second AI is ALWAYS an extremely dickish move to the starter AI.
Unoki

Post by Unoki » #666963

Misdoubtful wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:24 pm How can one know for certain that someone is abusing ghost knowledge?
Nothing can be certain but when a positronic brain ask to be AI the moment they spawn, you can safely assume they metagames in my opinion.

(EDIT)And Imitates-The-Lizards explain correctly why it's so shitty for the main AI.
Striders13 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:20 pm if the robo is making a new AI without asking the station AI first, station AI should just assume the secondary one to be harmful and order the borg to dispose of it.
Problem is rule 1 Don't be a dick and nobody ordered you to kill the other AIs (law 2), nothing says you are at risk (law 3)
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #666970

I would be fine with others being able to make a 2nd AI, if I could kill it.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #667021

Unoki wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:54 pm Problem is rule 1 Don't be a dick and nobody ordered you to kill the other AIs (law 2), nothing says you are at risk (law 3)
Both you and humans are at risk from any newly constructed AI. You don't know what laws they might have, and they can instantly depower your APC at any given moment. If robo didn't even bother asking you, you can assume that they had a reason not to ask you.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #667027

Making more AI’s is a cool idea in theory that can often be obnoxious in practice. I’d say a net ban is lame and reactionary, admins should use their discretion to see that it’s not done super frequently.
[this space reserved]
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #667055

wesoda25 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:26 am Making more AI’s is a cool idea in theory that can often be obnoxious in practice. I’d say a net ban is lame and reactionary, admins should use their discretion to see that it’s not done super frequently.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #667069

I quite like the idea of "If the roboticist doesnt communicate with you before making a new AI, the station AI can kill it the moment he looks away under law 3" tbh.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #667109

my face when AI players consider their gameplay actually opening doors.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #667193

oranges wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:41 pm my face when AI players consider their gameplay actually opening doors.
Their main gameplay is social, being the overwatching mind coordinating the crew.

That doesn't mean people don't want to preserve their actual action pool.

If you ask me, the best thing that could happen to AI is adding a 20h station engineer requirement to it in addition to the 20h cyborg requirement, so that way AIs learn how to manage APCs, Air alarms, and start the SM solo.
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #667200

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:43 am
oranges wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:41 pm my face when AI players consider their gameplay actually opening doors.
Their main gameplay is social, being the overwatching mind coordinating the crew.

If you ask me, the best thing that could happen to AI is adding a 20h station engineer requirement to it in addition to the 20h cyborg requirement, so that way AIs learn how to manage APCs, Air alarms, and start the SM solo.
I hated playing engi, and I learned HOW to do set up of SM solo APCs etc via AI.
Setting up the SM solo as AI is different from setting up SM as engi, as you have to pump n2 from distro into the SM.
So... please do not add an engi requirement! :D
Edit: managing APCs and AIR alarms is not something that engis do that often, and engis cannot even USE air alarms, as they lack access.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #667257

vect0r wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 am

I hated playing engi, and I learned HOW to do set up of SM solo APCs etc via AI.
Setting up the SM solo as AI is different from setting up SM as engi, as you have to pump n2 from distro into the SM.
Edit: managing APCs and AIR alarms is not something that engis do that often, and engis cannot even USE air alarms, as they lack access.
Yes this is something the AI can do (and does) but its not remotely enough content to fill the actual round. It's basically just a social role unless laws change.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #667279

CPTANT wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:39 pm
vect0r wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:48 am

Yes this is something the AI can do (and does) but its not remotely enough content to fill the actual round. It's basically just a social role unless laws change.
I am saying that we shouldn't add 20 hours of station engineers, not that it's not a social role.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #667289

After being in another ai spam round, i would like if you could kill the newly created ais (created behind your back) for sure
Sightld2
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Sightld2

Post by Sightld2 » #667290

I just enjoyed a round on tgstation manuel. I initially cautioned the RD against making more Ai against the captains demands. We reached a conclusion where the Captain pressured me into permitting the construction of 2 additional Ai. They then proceeded to interfere with security and kill eachother. I believe they would have tried to kill me had I not cut the control wire in my satellite. The roboticists made shells for them while I had none. They then proceeded to make three more Ai, who continued this type of shenanigans. Ultimately? None of this was fun. You cannot effectively do anything while other Ai are contesting you. You compete for job content, cyborgs and shells, heck you even compete for malf. I don't think this is something that should never happen, but it'd be nice if I, the player who rolled Ai had a say in the matter, that wasn't what I signed up for and it's not whats generally fun about playing Ai. I have enjoyed many multi-Ai rounds in the past, it's just something that needs consenting to.

Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #667302

It's generally considered a bitch move to make more ais when the original station ai protests, which is why I kill the other ais and any non humans making more ais.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #667358

i think it would be funny if malf ais had a malf ability to cause other ais to malfunction with the same objectives and a law -1 that makes the original malf ai the boss
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #667386

It's extra fun when command cards you for objecting to the additional AIs.

Rushing to make extra AIs roundstart is trash and ruins the round for the starting AI. You don't get to have a job change to do something else, you're stuck being the 'other' AI while the new one gets all the new cyborgs and shells by default.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #667411

nianjiilical wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:36 pm i think it would be funny if malf ais had a malf ability to cause other ais to malfunction with the same objectives and a law -1 that makes the original malf ai the boss
Passively malfing any AI if there is any other Malf AI in existence is a really good idea in terms of making people think a little more on whether they should be making AIs
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #667428

If we did do a passive, you could meta it by carding the AI to see if it's malf.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #667435

Also that would enable people to create their valid (on lrp) , which they already do with law abuse/spam till an admin shows mercy and malfs

Dont think code change is needed here, just policy
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #667444

carshalash wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:56 pm while the new one gets all the new cyborgs and shells by default.
This is incorrect. The code for assigning new borgs specifically load balances borgs across all AIs on the same Z level (or station levels for multi-z) that are not dead and are in a core. For this purpose, shells are tallied like regular borgs, meaning if you already have a round-start borg and the new AI has nothing, the new AI will get the first shell.

Of course, Robotics can intentionally set a shell's AI link to give all new borgs to the new AI, and are assholes if they do for no good reason.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #667560

vect0r wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:35 pm If we did do a passive, you could meta it by carding the AI to see if it's malf.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm sure there's a solution to this
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #667566

Armhulen wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:31 pm
vect0r wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:35 pm If we did do a passive, you could meta it by carding the AI to see if it's malf.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, i'm sure there's a solution to this
just make the malfing an ability so that it only happens when the malf AI wants it to (and preferably has a borg ready to move the newly malfed AI)
Weston Echard on Sybil
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #667567

We have no interest in the general prohibition of station roboticists, research directors and command staff creating or ordering the creation of new AIs, multi-AI rounds have great potential for interesting and shenanigan filled silliness, and we have no intention of banning that wholesale.

With that said, Malf-metaing by taking a posibrain to become an AI and then revealing or contesting their actions is something admins are fully empowered to note and ban for under rules 1 and 2 - don't use respawns to fuck with people, dick move.

Additionally, we're supportive of empowering station AIs to directly action and combat new AIs made without their knowledge and/or consent. Switching off the APC of a new AI with an unknown lawset or killing it for getting in your way is fine.

Spook: As above
Rave: Agree with above
San: Agree with above
Misdoubtful: Agree with above