Let's make hopcurity valid similar to talking mimes

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Let's make hopcurity valid similar to talking mimes

Post by WineAllWine » #682583

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:55 am Let's make hopcurity valid similar to talking mimes. Someone make the policy thread.
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Re: Let's make hopcurity valid similar to talking mimes

Post by Striders13 » #682585

let's make wardens out of brig valid
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #682586

I respect the meme, but no, this is a terrible idea. Bad faith players will use this policy as a justification to murder the hop any time he batons and cuffs anyone, regardless of if it's reasonable for the hop to do so.

Whether or not someone is being hopcurity is something which should only be determined by admins, not players, unless you can come up with an exacting list of requirements you can point to to say "yes, this is hopcurity", and "Well, he arrested someone." is not enough.

Basically, how do you differentiate between hopcurity and hop who decided to go for a walk and arrested someone out of being there, and how should players know this difference?

Or are we going to just see the birth of the "hop not at line" meme like with the warden?
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #682597

Tbh I'm kind of fine with them where they are considering they don't get the same protections security does. It's really really reeeeeaally funny when they get dunked on. It's as dangerous as it is for anyone else in other non-sec roles doing it, and they still get held accountable.
Hugs
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #682619

Is this still a problem? It seems like it is much less important now that they don't have one card all access anymore.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #682654

Not sure if they are valid, but if they barge into the armory they get lasered to death like anyone else.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #682671

I don't think making them valid is the right play here (we shouldn't be solving crew behavioral issues with "just let people kill them", the mime thing is an exception because it's funny) but I think we should emphasize that HoP isn't a member of security, so they don't have metaprotections, nor do their arrests have to be recognized as valid.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #682673

CPTANT wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:46 pm Not sure if they are valid, but if they barge into the armory they get lasered to death like anyone else.
Back when HoPs could give themselves all access, it was so satisfying to gun down the occasional fucker who got too bold and answer the bwoink.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #682677

bandaid solution to generally low expectations for powergaming

a hop with weapons should look antagonistic and the balancing force is pissing off security or making people suspicious
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #682679

I think this should be handled OOC, like a headmin ruling or precedent under rule 12 that forbades "hopcurity" playstyle, especially over multiple rounds. Making an IC solution such as this just incorporates it into the game instead of taking the steps to remove it. Making them valid could also lead to HOPs that just toe the line of hopcurity to escalation bait... as if they dont already do enough of it while hopcurity'ing.

headmins should figure out what exactly constitutes "hopcurity", and then decide if they just want it to be frowned upon like mimes breaking their vow (making hopcurity valid) or if they want it reduced/gone (by a ruling or precedent about OOC punishments for hopcurity)
Last edited by TheLoLSwat on Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #682680

CPTANT wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:46 pm Not sure if they are valid, but if they barge into the armory they get lasered to death like anyone else.
Wholesome thread response.
Hugs
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #682682

Stickymayhem wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:30 pm bandaid solution to generally low expectations for powergaming

a hop with weapons should look antagonistic and the balancing force is pissing off security or making people suspicious
Thread solved
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #682753

It's okay, I solved the policy discussion by banning the HoPcurity in question. Balance is restored.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #682760

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:59 pm It's okay, I solved the policy discussion by banning the HoPcurity in question. Balance is restored.
holy crap a permaban. Based.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #682879

if they act like antagonists treat them like one /shrug just fuckin kill em
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #686903

This was more of a shitpost than an actual request for the policy. In that manner, we have no interest in making hopcurity valid.