The players club and the attack of the non players policy discussion

TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

The players club and the attack of the non players policy discussion

Post by TheLoLSwat » #683076

someone mentioned it in page 3 of (viewtopic.php?f=83&t=33915), so i figured we can start an actual thread

should the players club be restricted to the more active players? If so, how much time before a terragovinian is tossed out of the club due to not connecting to the servers? 30 days? 60? 90?

sent from my iphone
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Re: The players club and the attack of the non players policy discussion

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #683087

Unfortunately not practical, as half of the administration would no longer be allowed to post there, unless it was a requirement which was actually meaningless like "Literally just connect once", in which case they would just skirt it by connecting to the server for 5 seconds and then disconnecting.
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #683096

Disagree, if somebody doesn't play for 90 minutes in a month, they really don't need to be in the *players* club.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #683147

It’s honestly fucked that it allows me to post in there
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #683151

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:55 am Unfortunately not practical, as half of the administration would no longer be allowed to post there, unless it was a requirement which was actually meaningless like "Literally just connect once", in which case they would just skirt it by connecting to the server for 5 seconds and then disconnecting.
Admins bypass the activity requirements by default.
Hugs
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #683158

Misdoubtful wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:54 pm
Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:55 am Unfortunately not practical, as half of the administration would no longer be allowed to post there, unless it was a requirement which was actually meaningless like "Literally just connect once", in which case they would just skirt it by connecting to the server for 5 seconds and then disconnecting.
Admins bypass the activity requirements by default.
Why?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #683159

One of the few actual perks of being an admin to complement all the time spent volunteering in a community service role.

Maintainers also bypass it, but historically didn't until a very recent change to allow oranges to shitpost.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #683168

I don’t see a reason why admins should be able to bypass a simple “Play a single shift at least once a month” check. The bar is so low it’s practically on the ground. Admins are just volunteers afterall.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #683169

I mean, is that really an issue? There is little to no administrative requirement to be able to post in the club. People can admin just as well if they don’t have the ability to shitpost.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #683223

Timberpoes wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:36 pm One of the few actual perks of being an admin to complement all the time spent volunteering in a community service role.

Maintainers also bypass it, but historically didn't until a very recent change to allow oranges to shitpost.
I didn't have anything to do with the change, it was done by the headadmins in san's term
TheSmallBlue
Byond Username: SmallBlue

Post by TheSmallBlue » #683242

Delete it all, first the hut now the nut
When human I go by Bluti Kabooti, when AI I go by Azure
Comm from
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684062

I also think it’s a bit backwards for people who never play to be able to post in the Players’ Club. Perhaps admins should be able to read it for moderation purposes, and peanuts I guess, but it kind of starts to defeat its purpose as a “PLAYERS” Club if everyone and their mum who doesn’t touch the game can post there. Because, like, they were made an admin 3 months ago I guess?
Spoiler:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #684072

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:50 pm I also think it’s a bit backwards for people who never play to be able to post in the Players’ Club. Perhaps admins should be able to read it for moderation purposes, and peanuts I guess, but it kind of starts to defeat its purpose as a “PLAYERS” Club if everyone and their mum who doesn’t touch the game can post there. Because, like, they were made an admin 3 months ago I guess?
I know you're being hyperbolic but someone that was made an admin 3 months ago and then didn't play for those 3 months probably isn't going to be an admin much longer (obviously there's gonna be exceptions)

What do you think the harm is for inactive admins being able to use the players club?

Also, "everyone and their mum"? There's not that many admins, and they've been specifically chosen for being players that make the game better
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #684078

This thread sucks.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684083

WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:20 pm
sinfulbliss wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:50 pm I also think it’s a bit backwards for people who never play to be able to post in the Players’ Club. Perhaps admins should be able to read it for moderation purposes, and peanuts I guess, but it kind of starts to defeat its purpose as a “PLAYERS” Club if everyone and their mum who doesn’t touch the game can post there. Because, like, they were made an admin 3 months ago I guess?
What do you think the harm is for inactive admins being able to use the players club?
Shifts the dialogue in a way that doesn’t reflect the views of the people who are actually playing the game they’re commenting on.
WineAllWine wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:20 pmAlso, "everyone and their mum"? There's not that many admins, and they've been specifically chosen for being players that make the game better
Around 100 right? That seems like a lot to me. People could have been great players that made the game better but after months of not touching the game fall completely out of touch with what the community cares about or what they find fun, and inserting those views into a discussion which is supposed to be among the PLAYERS feels a bit off.

And yeah this would apply to coders too, actually coders are pretty great examples since most of them don’t play. There’s nothing wrong with not playing but like I said it really defeats the purpose of having an exclusive “PLAYERS ONLY” club.
Spoiler:
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #684084

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:37 pm [said things
I think you've raised some good points. I still don't think I agree with you. I'm not sure one needs to have an entirely up-to-date view to be able to comment meaningfully. But then i get to the conclusion of "why do we even have a players club time limit for Players?" and I don't really have a good answer. I don't know what problem it's trying to solve
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #684091

Perhaps we can have a true player's club subforum of the players club subforum which has further restrictions on those who could post.
Last edited by Indie-ana Jones on Thu May 04, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684093

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:10 pm Perhaps we can have a true player's club subforum of this subforum which has further restrictions on those who could post.
Or perhaps we can stop obsessing over who can and can't post where and just leave things how they are now?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #684104

Vekter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:22 pm Or perhaps we can stop obsessing over who can and can't post where and just leave things how they are now?
Nonsense, I'd love to see a discussion area solely for people who actively play the game. If the discourse was about the game itself, you could filter the takes to only people who have actively been playing the game without having to do the background checks yourself. It could provide invaluable feedback for how our current player base views certain topics.
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684105

Indie-ana Jones wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:52 pm
Vekter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:22 pm Or perhaps we can stop obsessing over who can and can't post where and just leave things how they are now?
Nonsense, I'd love to see a discussion area solely for people who actively play the game. If the discourse was about the game itself, you could filter the takes to only people who have actively been playing the game without having to do the background checks yourself. It could provide invaluable feedback for how our current player base views certain topics.
Right, but we don't have that now. Right now we have a forum we do peanut and counting threads in.

E: To illustrate my point, here's every thread I could get in a screenshot right now with any thread that isn't directly related to the game or its players, is a peanut thread, or is a meme thread crossed out:

4 out of 14 threads are actually about the game. We could be generous and include the oranges and Armhulen thread but those are obvious memes and not actual discussion.
Spoiler:

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #684118

I don't really mind if I lose posting perms but if you take my access away can you stop having development discussions in a place where I can't post.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684120

Players club is the best place for shooting the shit with other forumites and I dont think it needs to be touched at all...

...Admittedly, it pretty much became an off-topic 2 after the peanuts shifted there. Where the peanuts go, the forum-goers follow.
respect (let him do his thing)
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684192

This is what the current Players’ Club should be.
Spoiler:
TheLoLSwat
Byond Username: TheLoLSwat

Post by TheLoLSwat » #684225

Vekter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:58 pm
Right, but we don't have that now. Right now we have a forum we do peanut and counting threads in.

E: To illustrate my point, here's every thread I could get in a screenshot right now with any thread that isn't directly related to the game or its players, is a peanut thread, or is a meme thread crossed out:

4 out of 14 threads are actually about the game. We could be generous and include the oranges and Armhulen thread but those are obvious memes and not actual discussion.

the issue is not the content of the threads, but people that dont play the game posting in the section for people that play the game
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684228

TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:21 pm the issue is not the content of the threads, but people that dont play the game posting in the section for people that play the game
Then I'd argue if the point of it isn't actually discussing the game, then it's just pointless, thinly-veiled elitism.

I don't really care about it existing or there being a playtime limiter on it, but we shouldn't be discussing raising that limit out of some imaginary desire to improve the quality of discussion if that discussion isn't even happening to begin with.
Spoiler:

vect0r

Post by vect0r » #684234

Vekter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:32 pm
TheLoLSwat wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:21 pm the issue is not the content of the threads, but people that dont play the game posting in the section for people that play the game
Then I'd argue if the point of it isn't actually discussing the game, then it's just pointless, thinly-veiled elitism.

I don't really care about it existing or there being a playtime limiter on it, but we shouldn't be discussing raising that limit out of some imaginary desire to improve the quality of discussion if that discussion isn't even happening to begin with.
The fact is it DOES have a playtime limiter on it, but some people get to bypass it, such as admins and maintainers. If I don't play for like a month, I don't get to post, but if a maintainer doesn't play for 6 months, they still can.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684239

vect0r wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:04 pm

The fact is it DOES have a playtime limiter on it, but some people get to bypass it, such as admins and maintainers. If I don't play for like a month, I don't get to post, but if a maintainer doesn't play for 6 months, they still can.
I mean, I don't want to be an asshole, but considering that we're volunteering our time to improve the game, I think it shouldn't be an issue for us to bypass the requirement.
Spoiler:

Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #684255

I would say personally I feel like it makes sense for admins to be able to post (as long as they’re actively adminning they are going to have some sense of the pulse of the game) but I don’t really know why Maintainers need it.
It’s good to be able to read stuff posted in there but it’s hardly a hotbed of useful coding back-and-forth.
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #684261

Vekter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 pm
vect0r wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:04 pm

I mean, I don't want to be an asshole, but considering that we're volunteering our time to improve the game, I think it shouldn't be an issue for us to bypass the requirement.
Nono, I don't care at all, I am just clarifying what it does say, and what I think other people are arguing for. (correct me if I am wrong everybody)
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #684265

Emptyposting should ban you from the hut for a day. Its gotten so bad toronto the wise must be rolling in his grave smh.
Also ban kidneybean or whatever his name is he should be making threads in the roleplay subforum
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684268

Vekter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 pm I mean, I don't want to be an asshole, but considering that we're volunteering our time to improve the game, I think it shouldn't be an issue for us to bypass the requirement.
If players don't connect for a month, they're not allowed to post in the Players' Club. The reason for this is because the Players' Club is designed as a discussion space for people who actively play the game. If gamemasters, coders, or admins don't meet those requirements, I see no reason why they should have a special privilege to post in the players' club over someone like imsxz who has 8000 hours yet can't post.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684270

sinfulbliss wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:58 am
Vekter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 pm I mean, I don't want to be an asshole, but considering that we're volunteering our time to improve the game, I think it shouldn't be an issue for us to bypass the requirement.
If players don't connect for a month, they're not allowed to post in the Players' Club. The reason for this is because the Players' Club is designed as a discussion space for people who actively play the game. If gamemasters, coders, or admins don't meet those requirements, I see no reason why they should have a special privilege to post in the players' club over someone like imsxz who has 8000 hours yet can't post.
If an admin doesn't connect for a month, there's grounds to remove them from the .txt for inactivity. I don't know a single game master that doesn't at least launch the game and observe from time to time.

I can't speak for coders.
Spoiler:

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #684386

Vekter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:20 am
If an admin doesn't connect for a month, there's grounds to remove them from the .txt for inactivity. I don't know a single game master that doesn't at least launch the game and observe from time to time.

Then surely it won't be a problem to apply the standard to admins too!
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684393

sinfulbliss wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:01 am
Vekter wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:20 am

Then surely it won't be a problem to apply the standard to admins too!
I said "connect", not play. Right now the forum requires you to play a few rounds a month.
Spoiler:

conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #684396

This thread is bad, 2/10. Nobody talks about the game in the players club anyway. Chatting about the game actual happens on the tg-general discord, which doesn't have the same restriction as the player's club.

Y'all should be embarrassed about applying restrictions to something that doesn't need it.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #684398

In truth, I'm against a players club even existing. I really did enjoy when everything was free so there isn't much of a chance of me wanting to extend restrictions when in my ideal world I'd lift them.

Do you have an example of the inactive admins posting? (Other than like timber.)
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #684401

Wow.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #684414

Vekter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:23 am I said "connect", not play. Right now the forum requires you to play a few rounds a month.
Is this factual or are you just guessing? I haven't played a round in well over a month (I've just been observing) yet I can still post.
It keeps getting worse!?
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #684423

Mice World wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:31 pm
Vekter wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 7:23 am I said "connect", not play. Right now the forum requires you to play a few rounds a month.
Is this factual or are you just guessing? I haven't played a round in well over a month (I've just been observing) yet I can still post.
I have always been under the impression that you have to actively play two hours a month, but I could be wrong.
Spoiler:

WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #684490

In my experience, more senior admins tend to not really play that much anymore instead observing and adminning. I think the players club would be worse off for excluding the most senior admins
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #684492

Timberpoes wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:34 amWow.
Let's play a game! The game is called "when was the last time timber played space station 13" (what the title lacks in brevity it makes up for in comprehensiveness)

Please genuinely make a guess before unspoilering the answer. Maybe even post your guess! It's a fun game.
► Show Spoiler
(for the avoidance of doubt this is not a criticism of timber as an admin)
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #684493

WineAllWine wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:04 pm
Let's play a game! The game is called "when was the last time timber played space station 13" (what the title lacks in brevity it makes up for in comprehensiveness)

Please genuinely make a guess before unspoilering the answer. Maybe even post your guess! It's a fun game.
► Show Spoiler
I really really want to see timber's playtime panel
respect (let him do his thing)
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer

Post by WineAllWine » #684494

kinnebian wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:17 pm
WineAllWine wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:04 pm

► Show Spoiler
I really really want to see timber's playtime panel
Then do so, no one is stopping you.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #684519

The presupposes that the forum userbase is representative of the playerbase and I can guarantee you those two are no longer the same given most actionable feedback now comes through the discord.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #686864

The headmin team are not interested in further restricting Player's Club access at this time.

Timberpoes: The goal of the Player's Club was to create a space devoid of permabanned shitters and other odious players not attached to the tgstation community anymore. I'm content to keep it with this generally broad scope.
Kieth4: I already am not a fan of players club existing in the first place so like - I don't want to add further restrictions to admins when I'd rather kill it.
Misdoubtful: No additional comments.