The limits of clown names

vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

The limits of clown names

Post by vect0r » #686160

What is an acceptable name for a clown?
Last night I was playing a shift on Manuel, and I named my clown 'Ted Kaczynski'. I had a whole gimmick where I got the hop to title me 'unibomber', and get toxins access. I then walked around and talked about technology and how I was going to make some bombs. Everybody seemed to enjoy it; I asked OOC chat afterwards and the response was that it was a fun gimmick. I was bwoinked by Harricross, and told that next shift I should name my clown after that.

I understand why, and fully accept that picking somebody like Ted Kaczynski would be seen as trying to get outrage, and I would have different feelings about a clown named 'Osama Bin Laden' or something else like that, but I think that naming a clown something along the lines of "Ted Kaczynski" should be ok as long as you have a gimmick, and people are enjoying it.
What do you guys think?
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Re: The limits of clown names

Post by datorangebottle » #686163

I'm divided on this. On one hand, clowns should have leeway to impersonate historical figures. On the other hand, I really don't want to see 'adolf hitler' running around in my 2d space station game because edgy shitlords think it's a funny joke, and it's unreasonable to expect the administration to maintain a blacklist/whitelist of names that clowns are allowed to impersonate.

I think the second point weighs more. I'd rather not change policy and allow it, personally.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #686165

datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:59 pm I'm divided on this. On one hand, clowns should have leeway to impersonate historical figures. On the other hand, I really don't want to see 'adolf hitler' running around in my 2d space station game because edgy shitlords think it's a funny joke, and it's unreasonable to expect the administration to maintain a blacklist/whitelist of names that clowns are allowed to impersonate.

I think the second point weighs more. I'd rather not change policy and allow it, personally.
Yeah, fuck clown ‘adopt hitlers’, go to town on those guys.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #686166

I don't think naming your clown after a terrorist who killed 3 people with mailbombs would be a good idea.
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #686182

The unabomber? Poor taste.
respect (let him do his thing)
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #686184

Clowns get some leeway but I think we should be maintaining our ban on naming after controversial figures.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #686185

1: Shock humour is only really funny once. A clown pretending to be a serial killer / terrorist might make people laugh for one round, after that the cringe factor catches up fast. Good call by the admin.
2: The general rule against famous people and especially controversial figures lives for a reason.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
HeyHey
Byond Username: Heyhey69

Post by HeyHey » #686187

Lol, Lmao even. Should be fine as long the figure isn't literally (or equivalently) Hitler.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #686196

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:20 pm 2: The general rule against famous people and especially controversial figures lives for a reason.
I wouldn't have much of an issue with a clown named like Bill Clinton or Nicholas Cage. I might chrono legionnaire one of them once out of funny but nothing past that.

If I see a clown named John Wayne Gacy, they're getting gibbed.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
vect0r

Post by vect0r » #686198

Yeah, I made this thread when I was tired, and I still am, just thought about this and agree w/everybody. I’ll keep this open for discussion, but I honestly agree it was a good call.
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic
BlueMemesauce
Byond Username: BlueMemesauce

Post by BlueMemesauce » #686215

Archie700 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:08 pm I don't think naming your clown after a terrorist who killed 3 people with mailbombs would be a good idea.
We have a in game crate themed around the Cosa Nostra which is a literal terrorist organization that committed many bombings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_D%27Amelio_bombing
Why can't we name ourselves after terrorists if the game itself does it?
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #686230

BlueMemesauce wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:09 pm
Archie700 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:08 pm I don't think naming your clown after a terrorist who killed 3 people with mailbombs would be a good idea.
We have a in game crate themed around the Cosa Nostra which is a literal terrorist organization that committed many bombings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_D%27Amelio_bombing
Why can't we name ourselves after terrorists if the game itself does it?
Coders and the administration clearly have a very different sense of humor.
Just because the coders think 'irish car bomb' is a funny joke and made an interaction with the clown car by having it blow up if you pick up someone who's been drinking that specific drink, doesn't mean you can larp as one of the IRA's many leaders.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
kinnebian
Byond Username: Kinnebian

Post by kinnebian » #686238

if youre gonna larp irish, go larp patrick pearse at the least
respect (let him do his thing)
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #687029

We're pretty happy where the clown name rules stand at the moment. Going to post what timber said as I believe it encapsulates our feelings well.

"Really dumb names fall under existing rules. Dumb names can always be given discretionary passes to be used for a limited number of shifts, especially when linked to gimmicks."