What can Cooks Death Kwan Do or Don’t?

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

What can Cooks Death Kwan Do or Don’t?

Post by The Wrench » #686171

So here’s a funny little worm that has been buzzing in the back of my head.

What are the restrictions on cooks exclusively making deadly food as a non-antagonist if they exist at all? Should the based culinary extraordinaire be punished for making exclusively Arnold pizza or the Death sandwich? How about the more “Walter-esk” cooks putting the blue angel into their pasta.
Long story short, are cooks required to make edible food?

This is less of a policy proposal and more of a discussion on this topic.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: What can Cooks Death Kwan Do or Don’t?

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #686186

I think it's fine for cooks to make obviously dangerous or useless food as long as they don't try to stop other cooks or crew from making *actual* food.

I think the times this has actually ended up in a ban were when the chef used people hopping the counter to make their own Actually Edible burgers as a chance to "kitchen defense" them
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #686234

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:22 pm I think it's fine for cooks to make obviously dangerous or useless food as long as they don't try to stop other cooks or crew from making *actual* food.

I think the times this has actually ended up in a ban were when the chef used people hopping the counter to make their own Actually Edible burgers as a chance to "kitchen defense" them
This is an extremely reasonable take.
Chefs deliberately making awful food should not be allowed to defend their workplace from people trying to make food they can actually eat.
The only problem that arises with this idea is when several races can't eat the foods, but some can- what then, if the chef specifically refuses to accommodate moths or lizards, but is making food that humans can eat?
The food isn't objectively useless or dangerous. It's useful, just not to those specific people.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #686312

It's okay as long as:

1) There's other food that's available to the crew,
2) The cook doesn't do anything to obfuscate that the food is dangerous, and
3) The cook tells people what it does if asked.
datorangebottle wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:18 pm The only problem that arises with this idea is when several races can't eat the foods, but some can- what then, if the chef specifically refuses to accommodate moths or lizards, but is making food that humans can eat?
I feel like it's not out of pocket for a cook to not make anything for other races unless he insists on making it an issue. If someone comes and asks for food for that race, they should be willing to make it. If not, it can probably be treated like IC species-ism.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #686315

No one's entitled to having a chef, much less a competent chef.
If you want to do nothing but make wish soup and add ketchup to it, you go king.
I've done nothing but make asscakes filled with organic slurry so it'd make you projectile vomit, urinal cake cakes, made nothing but moffins...
There's a tons of fun in innovating cursed cookery and the interactions that can come up from it, but like many other forms of non-antag driven crew conflict- don't be a dick.

It's actually pretty simple to meet that, really. If what you're cooking up is harmful enough that someone's going to beat your ass for it, don't explicitly fight back, you're the instigator.
Don't be surprised if you're making something that leaves people hungry that they're going to try to get food. I can't imagine your precious shit mountain burgers take up so much space that people can't nuke their donkies.
Finally, make it pretty clear that you're fucking around as chef, no one wants to be surprised by death nettle soup.

Vekter wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:00 pm If someone comes and asks for food for that race, they should be willing to make it. If not, it can probably be treated like IC species-ism.
I made moffins inedible for everyone but moths and gave it a different description if you can or can't eat it to support a bit of being a clueless chef that is trying to expand their culinary horizons while being too dumb to realize that sprinkling shredding uniforms on a muffin isn't food.
There's lots of ways this encounter could go, but as long as the meme chef isn't obstructing others it shouldn't be much different practically speaking than there simply being no cook in the kitchen.
Obviously they could be a dickhead though, and in that case- skill issue.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #686318

ArcaneDefence wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:37 pm I made moffins inedible for everyone but moths and gave it a different description if you can or can't eat it to support a bit of being a clueless chef that is trying to expand their culinary horizons while being too dumb to realize that sprinkling shredding uniforms on a muffin isn't food.
There's lots of ways this encounter could go, but as long as the meme chef isn't obstructing others it shouldn't be much different practically speaking than there simply being no cook in the kitchen.
Obviously they could be a dickhead though, and in that case- skill issue.
I'm more talking about a situation where a cook outright refuses to make food for moths/lizards based on the fact that they're moths/lizards. Being unaware that they can or can't eat a food is one thing, but if the cook is explicitly saying "I'm not making any food for no damn moth", they're fair game.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #686944

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:22 pm I think it's fine for cooks to make obviously dangerous or useless food as long as they don't try to stop other cooks or crew from making *actual* food.

In short, we agree with this.

Dangerous foods tend to not directly kill, and even eating Arnold Pizza is something that can be fixed with a few minutes of effort.

As long as the cook isn't baiting people into situations for 'kitchen defense', or preventing people from being able to access alternatives (unless they are an antag), we don't see this as a problem, nor do we see it as actionable grief.

In many ways this is classic chef gameplay, like a chemist leaving pills on the floor labeled as 'THIS WILL KILL YOU'.
Hugs