Specifically define the term "Low population round"

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Specifically define the term "Low population round"

Post by Vekter » #686636

As much as I appreciate the ruling on my last policy thread, it didn't actually do what I wanted it to do - we removed "murderbone" from the wordings, which is good, but we didn't actually get around to defining what is and isn't a low population round.

As it is right now, I intend on enforcing this ruling based on whether or not extended access was given at roundstart. If it was, it's lowpop. If it wasn't, it's not. I stand by the idea that we need to be explicitly telling people when it is and isn't okay to kill a bunch of people or they aren't going to know when that is.

I propose that we set the number at 25 players. This gives a specific line for people to know exactly when they can or can't kill people.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Specifically define the term "Low population round"

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #686646

I think dynamic uses 20 as a number for its lowpop scaling
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Post by warbluke » #686648

I've been on Bagil so long that I consider 25 players to be highpop, and less than 10 to be lowpop
Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #686651

25 seems to be a good number to call it lowpop for most rounds (and servers), though i dont think we should put a hard number on this

We have to keep in mind map size and department staffing (especially security)
Northstar with 30 pop would still feel very lowpop, while on meta it would feel like a normal round

Also antags cant really know current pop, biggest indicators are:
- Comms chatter (Can give an inaccurate estimate)
- PDA list (Best way to check pop, pretty out of the way)
- General Encounters (Busy Halls?)
- Crew Manifest (Command and Silicon Only)
- who in ooc (worst one: counts connections, not pop )

In my opinion, i think it would be better to leave it to admin discretion since they (maybe) have the better view of the round
Antags shouldnt be expected to go through pop checks just to get to murdering in the first place

BUT, if this will have to happen, i would say a codechange would be a better idea
Something to give antags a "notice" once the murderpop has been reached and which cant be "recalled"
conrad
Byond Username: Conrad Thunderbunch

Post by conrad » #686653

I'll parrot what I said on the previous thread. ~25 is better than 25. I don't like a number set in stone.
I normally go by Ricky. Tell me how'd I do here. :hug::beer: 𝒯𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝒶𝒷𝒶𝓉𝒾𝒸𝒶𝓁. :faggot::heart:
And now a word from our sponsors:
dendydoom wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:51 am conrad is a badass
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 pm
The Spessmen Times wrote:Prohibition agent Sam Salamander bragged that he could find a metacord in any server in under 30 minutes. In Bagil it took him 21 minutes. In Sybil 17 minutes, and Manuel just 11 minutes. But Terry set the record of 35 seconds. Sam asked an assistant on the arrivals shuttle where to get a discord invite, and the assistant linked him one.
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 pm
Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am
kayozz wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:24 am
conrad wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:47 am I'm with Gupta on this one you only ever get two eyeballs.
Speak for yourself two-eyes.
With love,
A genuine cyclops.
absolutely based, do you wear an eyepatch?
That would render a cyclops blind.
RedBaronFlyer wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:52 pm
Drag wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:51 pm We should do a weighted random headmins vote, let God decide
It would somehow manage to pick Birdshot Station for headmin if we did that
Lacran wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:02 pm If you can't do the time, don't play a mime
kayozz wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:04 pm Don't wanna get beat? Keep your clown shoes on your feet.
kieth4 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:03 pm I have clapped women with cat ears but I would not clap a cat fr kinda a flarped up connection
Vekter wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:13 pm I don't care if you disagree, you're wrong.
yttriums wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am borg players shouldn't be able to ahelp. you signed up to play as a piece of equipment. this is like a table ahelping you for wrenching it
dendydoom wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:02 pm basically what we learned from this is that i continue to be right about everything
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #686654

what metric are we going by? OOC tab who, crew manifest, or what? players shouldnt have to manually count how many ppl are on the manifest.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #686666

I think the easiest solution here is "If you get skeleton crew access at the start of the shift or when you arrived on the shuttle, you can't indiscriminately murder people.". Will probably suck in that 1/100k shift where 30 people late join and it goes from lowpop to normal or even highpop, but it removes all ambiguity and is by far the easiest policy to enforce.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #686677

We decided on 'blatant and noticeable depopulation of the station' due to the flexibility it provides.

The figuring is that any real definition here could backfire, and that we wanted to target a specific behavior of choosing to turn servers into ghost towns.

Killing four people on a seven person round being different then killing four on a twenty-five pop round.

We're obviously open to another way of doing it, but strayed from having a hard and fast number or percentage attached to things.

I hope that clears up our reasoning on this as the thread progresses.
Hugs
Richie9999
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Richie9999

Post by Richie9999 » #686680

I may only be a simple bagilmin, but my rule of thumb regarding what is lowpop is generally 20 or fewer, and for the most part I bwoink folks if I see 'em doing the ol' murderbone at 20 or lower pop. Of course that can also be situational. 21 pop and someone is trying to plasmaflood the whole station or walk around murdering everyone they can? They might pick up a bwoink.

Mind you the 21 player threshold to put you out of lowpop means 21 actual players in the station's crew. Not counting observers, not counting off station ghost roles
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #686710

Misdoubtful wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:33 pm We decided on 'blatant and noticeable depopulation of the station' due to the flexibility it provides.

The figuring is that any real definition here could backfire, and that we wanted to target a specific behavior of choosing to turn servers into ghost towns.

Killing four people on a seven person round being different then killing four on a twenty-five pop round.

We're obviously open to another way of doing it, but strayed from having a hard and fast number or percentage attached to things.

I hope that clears up our reasoning on this as the thread progresses.
This has nothing to do with defining how many people constitutes a break of the rules, it has to do with how many people need to be on the server and playing before the indiscriminate murder rules kick in.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #686726

I don't really want to set a hard and fast number.

The only numbers that matter are the number of living players, numbers of living sec-likes and the duration of the shift. I'm hesitant to set a number that only admins will be able to see (like living players/number of sec/ratio of player to sec). It feels like setting up players for failure by taking something incredibly subjective and carving one single and rigid interpretation into stone.

It's best just being a discretionary thing admins can do if their combined experience leads them to believe that the fish squad is reporting to barrel.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #686727

Doing a hard and fast number is a huge mistake - lowpop is wiggly depending not just on how many people are connected, but how many are alive, how many of those living people are still connected, how many are on station (vs. mining or in space bases, for example), how many are actually doing their jobs vs. jacking off, how many are real jobs vs. assistants, etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #686730

Timberpoes wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:06 pm I don't really want to set a hard and fast number.

The only numbers that matter are the number of living players, numbers of living sec-likes and the duration of the shift. I'm hesitant to set a number that only admins will be able to see (like living players/number of sec/ratio of player to sec). It feels like setting up players for failure by taking something incredibly subjective and carving one single and rigid interpretation into stone.

It's best just being a discretionary thing admins can do if their combined experience leads them to believe that the fish squad is reporting to barrel.
I'm okay with this, but you guys need to know that there's going to come a time someone will cop a ban for this and appeal on the grounds that it wasn't actually a lop population round.
Spoiler:

Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #686733

Yes, that's fine.

An alternative is us overturning a ban because the admin applied the rules by rote when, despite the pop being under the arbitrary limit, the murderbone was fine and should not have been noted.

Another alternative is having admins complaining they can't do anything because the pop number we set is too low.

The only winning move is to check with other admins before dropping lowpop bone notes and bans, which is probably the best general approach.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #686735

Wasn't it already known that admins could note lowpop bone? Checking in with other admins before noting/banning doesn't solve the issue of players not knowing what constitutes a lowpop bone precisely.
Misdoubtful wrote:We decided on 'blatant and noticeable depopulation of the station' due to the flexibility it provides.
This issue with this is it's so flexible that it also includes medpop and highpop.

I guess I don't understand the hesitance to use a hard and fixed number like <25. Sure, maybe someone bones at 26pop, and that's seen as quite lame and an admin wants to note it. Maybe someone bones at 35pop and it's seen as blatant and noticeable depopulation of the station and an admin wants to note it. Maybe half the server is dead on 50pop, making it 25pop, and someone bones, which an admin then wants to note because it's blatant and noticeable depopulation of the station. It's way too flexible.

It really doesn't tell players anything about what is and what isn't lowpop bone IMO. A hard number would be good, but maybe it could be a soft number like "around 25pop" so that it could potentially include up to 30~ pop for some flexibility.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin

Post by Vekter » #686746

Timberpoes wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:13 am Yes, that's fine.

An alternative is us overturning a ban because the admin applied the rules by rote when, despite the pop being under the arbitrary limit, the murderbone was fine and should not have been noted.

Another alternative is having admins complaining they can't do anything because the pop number we set is too low.

The only winning move is to check with other admins before dropping lowpop bone notes and bans, which is probably the best general approach.
I still don't like this because I'd rather players be able to know if what they're doing is going to get them noted before doing it, but I can't exactly force you three to do something, so I'm just going to lock this.
Spoiler: