AI uploading easiness.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

AI uploading easiness.

Post by mstachife » #620336

Don't think there are many who would disagree that this is an issue, given that having access to the circuit printer enables you to to subvert/unsubvert the AI in a matter of about a minute tops. Team antag rounds often get in a battle with competing uploads slapping boards on them as fast as they can click until a admin has mercy and malfs the AI. Potential ideas to make it more difficult / dynamic:

1. Make it take some time to upload a law, and give the AI the "Network Intrusion detected" message.

2. Restrict the law uploading to a specific area, or make it a unique/hard to build machine that does it.

3. Remove upload consoles entirely and require slapping boards on the core. Would severely limit antags, but would make it harder to "fix" the AI as well.

4. Put restrictions on "maint uploads" printed elsewhere, but leave the actual upload alone.

Thoughts?
Last edited by mstachife on Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Re: AI uploading easiness.

Post by Helios » #620349

I disagree. Being able to upload AIs as is has been around for a long long time, and offers a great meta as it is.
If you can steal an AI upload board from secure storage, and pay the telecrystals, you can subvert the AI. If you can get into the upload and disable the turrets with all access/emag, you can subvert the AI.

If there were to be a change, it would be consolidating AI and Cyborg upload into a single computer, that allows changes to AIs and all borgs under them, or individual borgs.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #620354

I would like something done about the ai upload tug of war, can law boards be single use?
mstachife

Post by mstachife » #620356

Helios wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:59 am I disagree. Being able to upload AIs as is has been around for a long long time, and offers a great meta as it is.
If you can steal an AI upload board from secure storage, and pay the telecrystals, you can subvert the AI. If you can get into the upload and disable the turrets with all access/emag, you can subvert the AI.

If there were to be a change, it would be consolidating AI and Cyborg upload into a single computer, that allows changes to AIs and all borgs under them, or individual borgs.
None of those things are issues I have with the current system. The issue I have is the ability to print an upload, purge, and freeform board from the circuit printer, built a console, and subvert the AI in a span of a minute from anywhere on the station. Or "unsubvert" it just as easily.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #620359

JusticeGoat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 am I would like something done about the ai upload tug of war, can law boards be single use?

Maybe not law boards, freeforms can require you to upload multiple laws to get a working custom lawset.
Purge boards being a 1 time use would be an interesting change. Give it a different sprite, and say it's a purge emergency reset board
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #620403

make more freeform boards! I think all upload boards should be single use
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #620445

Helios wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:13 am Maybe not law boards, freeforms can require you to upload multiple laws to get a working custom lawset.
Purge boards being a 1 time use would be an interesting change. Give it a different sprite, and say it's a purge emergency reset board
Maybe, as a compromise, the boards inside the upload itself are multi-use, and you can only print off emergency boards. Traitor boards should be multi-use or have their cost reduced.
mstachife

Post by mstachife » #620447

datorangebottle wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:35 am Maybe, as a compromise, the boards inside the upload itself are multi-use, and you can only print off emergency boards. Traitor boards should be multi-use or have their cost reduced.
Yeah, something like that would actually make the upload marginally more valuable. The upload boards could even be considered high-risk items as a new objective.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #620653

JusticeGoat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 am I would like something done about the ai upload tug of war, can law boards be single use?
This is the solution I've always been fond of
Mothblocks on Bagil/Sybil - Say nice things about me
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #620681

blech, only for printed boards. Make the actual AI upload boards Premium Boards or something so command staff can futz about with the AI if they please
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
mstachife

Post by mstachife » #620873

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm blech, only for printed boards. Make the actual AI upload boards Premium Boards or something so command staff can futz about with the AI if they please
Doing something like this would have a new hisk-risk item with the premium boards, and could potentially be a new objective.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #620874

mstachife wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:36 pm
Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm blech, only for printed boards. Make the actual AI upload boards Premium Boards or something so command staff can futz about with the AI if they please
Doing something like this would have a new hisk-risk item with the premium boards, and could potentially be a new objective.
Darn skippy it would
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.