Mining Changes?

A place to record your ideas for the game.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Mining Changes?

Post by datorangebottle » #620789

Mining, in its current state, kinda sucks. It has some problems!
Powergaming
Currently, mining is incentivized by giving miners cool powergaming gear to grab that they can only get if they do at least a little bit of mining. That, and their main medical supplies and gear rely on points they get from bringing in ores. Problem being, they don't have many practical uses on lavaland for the things they do find- most of it is either useless, or only good for validhunting on the station, with very few cool and unique items in between.
Ash Storms
Ash storms suck. There are four outcomes to ash storms and they all suck.
  • You have a capsule. You get to sit in the capsule and tab out until the storm is over.
  • You don't have a capsule, but there's a nearby ruin. You chill out in the ruin and tab out until the storm is over.
  • You don't have a capsule or a ruin. You run around frantically and blindly and probably die.
  • You're ash storm immune. You stand in the same spot and tab out until the storm is over because you can't see anything and don't want to run into a chasm.
See a running theme? The solution to an ash storm is to find a safe place and sit there for several minutes. The game is deliberately wasting your time.
They also conflict with mining's loot-centric design because you have to either plan around the ash storm or get fucked because one came up in the middle of a boss/tendril fight, being forced to disengage or die.
Finally, there's the difference with Icebox- namely, it doesn't have any storms on the second or third levels, which is where most miners do their work, so you end up not needing capsule pods except if you want a quick breather to AFK/heal or track where exactly a location is; this is great gameplay niche for them.
Solo-gameplay
As it is, mining encourages going alone. You get less powergamer loot if you're sharing it with another miner. You cover half the ground and get less minerals and points because you're splitting with other miners. People just tend to leg it around on their own unless they're new and learning. Miners just carry GPSes and scream on the radio if they're about to die, sometimes getting rescued and sometimes not. Oranges has gone on record that he doesn't want to support solo gameplay- so why is mining in its current state?
Inflated numbers
Why are PKAs a heavy laser cannon with infinite ammo?
Why are station weapons so arbitrarily impractical on lavaland?
Why don't proto-kinetic crushers work on some mobs?
These things don't make sense. Lavaland mobs are arbitrarily resistant to station weapons to the point of silliness. This causes a problem with certain mobs- for example, when elites or megafauna get on the station and wreak immense havoc and destruction. We no longer have the incredible burst damage of buckshot combat shotgun, so I don't see why the numbers on lavaland are still so ridiculous besides 'nobody has pushed through a PR to nerf them'.

I do have a couple solutions to put forth; i'm not just here to bitch about how current mining is kinda shit.
► Show Spoiler
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Re: Mining Changes?

Post by bastardblaster » #620790

Lavaland mobs, and by extension megafauna, have inflated HP values because Kor didn't want people being able to go to lavaland and just kill shit with their normal lasgun for that sweet gamer loot, and to preserve sancticity of megafauna leaderboards.

datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #620795

ardentarclight wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:19 am Lavaland mobs, and by extension megafauna, have inflated HP values because Kor didn't want people being able to go to lavaland and just kill shit with their normal lasgun for that sweet gamer loot, and to preserve sancticity of megafauna leaderboards.
This is why I mentioned making the mobs more based on swarms of enemies instead of singular really tough ones, so that the people with station guns would just run out of ammo if they tried to take on enough of lavaland to get to the megafauna.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #620815

datorangebottle wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:45 am
ardentarclight wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:19 am Lavaland mobs, and by extension megafauna, have inflated HP values because Kor didn't want people being able to go to lavaland and just kill shit with their normal lasgun for that sweet gamer loot, and to preserve sancticity of megafauna leaderboards.
This is why I mentioned making the mobs more based on swarms of enemies instead of singular really tough ones, so that the people with station guns would just run out of ammo if they tried to take on enough of lavaland to get to the megafauna.
That would probably kill performance.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #620823

Mining as it is could get some incremental improvements.
At first, I would suggest building auto turrets outside the main entrance. This means that if miners are having trouble with mobs, they can run home and have the turrets take care of the rest. These also could get emagged for shenanigans.
The next would be an ore collector. Instead of only collecting minerals underneath you, with this item in your pocket it checks the adjacent 8 tiles for minerals, picks them up and puts them in your bag. Like the bolt collector in Ratchet and Clank, it would be a minor QoL upgrade
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #620824

Helios wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am The next would be an ore collector. Instead of only collecting minerals underneath you, with this item in your pocket it checks the adjacent 8 tiles for minerals, picks them up and puts them in your bag. Like the bolt collector in Ratchet and Clank, it would be a minor QoL upgrade
This would make it trivial to lag the server to death.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #620825

In terms of solo mining being more efficient, a potential idea is to switch mineral collection to be based on ore drill installations; the miners would have to explore with their local scanners until they find promising veins, then call down a drill with a beacon, from a station-shared pool of ore drills that recharges over time. While it does not remove all incentives to split up, the limited pool means that ore gain no longer depends on miners covering separate areas and they can manage the same by grouping together for safety.
Extensions to this formula could include monsters infrequently attacking drills, and requiring an organized defense; special ore veins found under tendrils or dangerous ruins to clear out; ore drills functioning as fast travel hotspots for miners after a certain tech level.

Ideally by pairing this with a generally increased danger level (even better if it scales with player pop) it might give an extra push towards group mining, which would be nice since player interaction is the main element that gives variety to rounds.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #620846

XDTM wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 pm In terms of solo mining being more efficient, a potential idea is to switch mineral collection to be based on ore drill installations; the miners would have to explore with their local scanners until they find promising veins, then call down a drill with a beacon, from a station-shared pool of ore drills that recharges over time. While it does not remove all incentives to split up, the limited pool means that ore gain no longer depends on miners covering separate areas and they can manage the same by grouping together for safety.
Extensions to this formula could include monsters infrequently attacking drills, and requiring an organized defense; special ore veins found under tendrils or dangerous ruins to clear out; ore drills functioning as fast travel hotspots for miners after a certain tech level.

Ideally by pairing this with a generally increased danger level (even better if it scales with player pop) it might give an extra push towards group mining, which would be nice since player interaction is the main element that gives variety to rounds.
I like this idea.

Lavaland Wave Defense Mode would be very epic. + It'd also give Cargo more to do, as they'd constantly be trying to make money to send up more limited resource filled weapons to lavaland to give the miners a boost.
► Show Spoiler
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #620851

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:34 am That would probably kill performance.
The server can already handle miners on icebox fighting multiple mobs at once.
Helios wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am At first, I would suggest building auto turrets outside the main entrance. This means that if miners are having trouble with mobs, they can run home and have the turrets take care of the rest. These also could get emagged for shenanigans.
+1. Would be a huge boon to newbie miners so they can run and let the wildlife turrets take care of the mobs if they get overwhelmed. Only issue I can see is if bubblegum starts too close to the base and the turrets shoot at him.
XDTM wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:22 pm In terms of solo mining being more efficient, a potential idea is to switch mineral collection to be based on ore drill installations; the miners would have to explore with their local scanners until they find promising veins, then call down a drill with a beacon, from a station-shared pool of ore drills that recharges over time. While it does not remove all incentives to split up, the limited pool means that ore gain no longer depends on miners covering separate areas and they can manage the same by grouping together for safety.

I love everything about this, especially the idea that cargo can load special drills that are more efficient / have more features, like fast travel spots(built-in fulton beacon?).

EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #620922

Solution to all 4 problems: remove mining and allow cargo to order the minerals directly.
I remade the beach away mission
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #620946

A "Core Drill" or something like that where the miners (and perhaps engineers and medics they can shenanigan into helping) get mineral income that ramps up in an S curve for defending a static Thing would be incredibly fucking cool. Make sandbags and other defensive emplacements matter, bring a bunch of monster loot to one place, etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #620956

Pandarsenic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:46 pm A "Core Drill" or something like that where the miners (and perhaps engineers and medics they can shenanigan into helping) get mineral income that ramps up in an S curve for defending a static Thing would be incredibly fucking cool. Make sandbags and other defensive emplacements matter, bring a bunch of monster loot to one place, etc.
I feel like it may have an added benefit of making the powergamer miner loot useful.

By the time you get the loot, you've pretty much cheesed and slaughtered everything on lavaland and it's null and void. But if it's wave defense and you need that cursed heart regeneration/cursed katana damage, or a power-miner holoparasite to support you to survive waves and waves of enemies. It actually gives it a central lavaland use.
► Show Spoiler
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #621033

The problem with focusing on "group mining" (which I think is a good idea, but...) is that it basically kills low-pop mining. Oh? There's a whole one Shaft Miner signed up for this shift, when their work is designed for groups of 2-3? Oh? They died in ten minutes because they got swarmed by a horde of goliaths that stunlocked them to death? Oh? Now the entire station is starved for materials because just one Assistant getting a PKA isn't going to cut it anymore? Uh oh!

Miners dying early and causing material starvation is a prevalent enough issue, even without a massively more dangerous Lavaland. Punishing people for playing low-pop is a poor idea.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #621043

The ideal way to counterbalance that would be to scale the encounter frequency and difficulty (and loot?) to the amount of active miners, but calculating that without leaving room for powergaming would take some forethought.

Additionally the station should start with some basic limited supply material drills already set up in close proximity to the mining station, along with more basic deposits in close safe locations, so the station's needs are met to a minimum. They'd be the equivalent of initial power supply and wiring the solars for the station power network.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #621048

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #621052

Valorium wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:41 pm The problem with focusing on "group mining" (which I think is a good idea, but...) is that it basically kills low-pop mining. Oh? There's a whole one Shaft Miner signed up for this shift, when their work is designed for groups of 2-3? Oh? They died in ten minutes because they got swarmed by a horde of goliaths that stunlocked them to death? Oh? Now the entire station is starved for materials because just one Assistant getting a PKA isn't going to cut it anymore? Uh oh!

Miners dying early and causing material starvation is a prevalent enough issue, even without a massively more dangerous Lavaland. Punishing people for playing low-pop is a poor idea.

Ask the HoS to let you into the armory because your the only miner lol
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #621100

The Core Drill sort of thing wouldn't have to be the only method, just a more efficient one (if people work together) in theory? You could still have deposits and tendrils and such as-is for lowpop, but once you have some upgraded PKAs and armored plates and plasma cutters, you can gather up and go for the big, high-efficiency looting group activity.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #621139

XDTM wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:08 pm The ideal way to counterbalance that would be to scale the encounter frequency and difficulty (and loot?) to the amount of active miners, but calculating that without leaving room for powergaming would take some forethought.
This is why I suggested making minebots not suck. If you have a team of miners, things would get too crowded and annoying, but if you only have one, then having a swarm of minebots helping you out is livable.

Kel-the-Oblivious
Byond Username: Kel the Oblivious

Post by Kel-the-Oblivious » #621353

Helios wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am Mining as it is could get some incremental improvements.
At first, I would suggest building auto turrets outside the main entrance. This means that if miners are having trouble with mobs, they can run home and have the turrets take care of the rest. These also could get emagged for shenanigans.
The next would be an ore collector. Instead of only collecting minerals underneath you, with this item in your pocket it checks the adjacent 8 tiles for minerals, picks them up and puts them in your bag. Like the bolt collector in Ratchet and Clank, it would be a minor QoL upgrade
The idea of base defenses would be fucking ideal, and maybe a way to ensure megafauna don't spawn within a certain distance, like 30 or so tiles. Nothing kills a mining run like touching down for the first time ash side, only to see an ash drake or colossus chilling in the lava river right outside the dock. Another QoL for miners would be a low cost emergency distress implant from the vendor. All it does it broadcast a "Urist McNewbie in critical condition at GPS coordinate X,Y,Z" over medical channel. Has a secondary use of giving them to high priority crew members to make sure they aren't randomly ganked in maint while no one is looking at the crew monitor
The master splicer, the bitch queen of mining, and some crazy ligger peddling you medicinal marijuana.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Kel is a genuine Cool Oldfag
Korusho
Byond Username: Korusho

Post by Korusho » #623134

Helios wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 am Mining as it is could get some incremental improvements.
Bay uses a heavy mining drill that you deploy on a space with ore beneath it. Then you must lock the drill in place with braces, install a power cell, and ensure it's emptying box has enough capacity. A simplified version of this (RNG on the ore created from whatever spot, based on a richness value of the rock beneath it, over time) would make a great alternative for non-fauna-killing miners, like myself. I like digging and search out for ore, I just don't like having to deal with the BIG BOYS that can snap me in a second. I want to mine, not necessarily become the most decorated slayer of dragons.

This would also function for Research and Cargo when all the miners die and they just want a stream of resources, but can't fight fauna effectively.