Bring back tactical resting

A place to record your ideas for the game.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Bring back tactical resting

Post by sinfulbliss » #651764

Although this was a misfeature initially, I think tactical resting adds depth to combat and makes a lot of sense as a feature of its own.

Previously resting targets had to be clicked in order to be hit, even from afar with guns. It was a tradeoff, though, since resting severely restricted your movement speed. It was its own unique mechanic as a method of dodging and it's a shame to see it gone as this simplifies combat.

It also made sense realistically - laying down on the ground makes you a harder target to hit in a gunfight. The fact someone can, without even seeing a target, fire shots in their general direction across the halls and hit them, even while they're prone on the ground, doesn't make much sense.

The way it's treated now, shots won't hit prone targets if they're in crit unless they're clicked. This is counterintuitive and it doesn't make much sense why the bullets would somehow "know" to avoid targets in crit.
Spoiler:
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Re: Bring back tactical resting

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #651767

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/61768

Heres a PR I made A while ago to do something with this and mothblocks says that it can come back if something that I don't understand is implemented.
sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:38 am
The way it's treated now, shots won't hit prone targets if they're in crit unless they're clicked. This is counterintuitive and it doesn't make much sense why the bullets would somehow "know" to avoid targets in crit.
This is my biggest problem with the current state of resting, arbitrary bullet avoidance. And plus its flavorful to go prone in a fire fight.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #651768

wavedashing is not coming back, full stop
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #651772

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/61768

Heres a PR I made A while ago to do something with this and mothblocks says that it can come back if something that I don't understand is implemented.
"A solution that forces mouse opacity to tile while resting"

Not 100% what they meant by this but maybe they want it so that if you click the tile the resting person is on it hits them instead of needing to hunt their sprite down.
Spoiler:
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #651778

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:50 am
Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:42 am https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/61768

Not 100% what they meant by this but maybe they want it so that if you click the tile the resting person is on it hits them instead of needing to hunt their sprite down.
I talked in discord at that seems like what they are trying to say. But in my eyes the main issue with tactical resting was that at a certain distance you would be unhittable, because you would be able to crawl out of the way by the time the bullet would have hit the space you were.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #651779

iamgoofball wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:05 am wavedashing is not coming back, full stop
Few things are without repair, my good ball.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #651794

Itseasytosee2me wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:01 am But in my eyes the main issue with tactical resting was that at a certain distance you would be unhittable, because you would be able to crawl out of the way by the time the bullet would have hit the space you were.
Yeah if my memory serves correct that was definitely the case, but I believe it was a pretty significant distance (like a few more tiles and they wouldn't be visible). That seemed intuitive to me - if the opponent is further from you, it's harder to shoot them (both standing and resting).

The downside of removing it is now someone can spray lasers down a maint corridor blindly and hit every single shot with perfect accuracy, because you can't dodge them anymore.
Spoiler:
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #651803

Sleeping people dodging shots like people in crit would be great.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #652009

I think a compromise would be good, like having a certain percentage chance to hit someone prone, to simulate being a smaller target.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #652065

lol fuck off you spoon
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #652105

sinfulbliss wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:50 am

I don't understand why sprite hunt would be removed for project weapons but not from melee weapons. Sprite hunt combat kinda sucks.
EmpressMaia
Byond Username: EmpressMaia

Post by EmpressMaia » #653317

oranges wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:12 am lol fuck off you spoon
Most valuable comment of the year
Kolinko
Byond Username: LMoore

Post by Kolinko » #653324

Makes sense to me. You drop to the ground to avoid projectiles and they have to focus their aim on you to start hitting again.

It being a 100% chance to hit if they're clicked on and 0% chance to hit if they're not is pretty bland, though. How about throwing more RNG at it too?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #653443

dodging bullets by getting on the ground was kinda epic, its wont be like times of old since we have made it pretty impossible to do it reliably (theres a delay on getting back up so youre slow aka freekill)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #653448

This would be more feasible if we buffed the negative effects of being grounded.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #653482

being slow is already ruining, if you're rest-weaving you're making a last ditch effort.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Itseasytosee2me

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #653490

Cobby wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:47 pm being slow is already ruining, if you're rest-weaving you're making a last ditch effort.
Not enough. Add being instantly decapitated by fire axes while grounded.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later