Detective with the detective pistol can land critical hits

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Detective with the detective pistol can land critical hits

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #265403

Dedicated gunslinger the detective is, and a crack-shot they should be in much stark contrast to the clown who is most likely to shoot themselves in the face if given the opportunity. The occupation of detective earns the 'crack-shot' trait which allows them score special kinds of critical hits with the detectives pistol and other select group of small firearms.

The detective in a object tab with a quick flick can change their gun from 'lethal' to 'non-lethal' for preference of critical hits. No exact math is set up, but you could say that it has a 40% or so chance of happening so it's quite literally in circumstances 'gun-fu'

Chest
> Lethal = critical shot to the heart or lungs immediately causing oxyloss and slowing the ability to breath naturally

> Non-Lethal = A shot to the gut causing them to drop and inflict some stamina damage

Arms
> lethal, shoot them at the shoulder or break a bone with a passing bullet causing them to drop active hand & large damage

> Non-lethal = Shoot them in the hand disarming them instantly or instantly shoot the grenade.

Legs
> All the same lethal or non lethal, bust their kneecaps and make them fall to the ground in agony with small stamina penalty, enough for you to get in range & baton them to the ground before applying some cable ties.

Head
> Lethal = Cap em between the eyes for a large amount of damage, if they are already damaged or have no armor it has a chance to gib their head into organ parts, ideal for executions. Always triggers when put in the mouth as per usual execution style, is also a suicide verb just to be dark (your brain will be reclaimable, and it can't be done on dead bodies else a message will trigger "Id better not i might need their face for evidence later")

> Non-lethal = Shoot off their hat all cowboy like, this is a special reaction that will trigger all the time on helpful intent though on harmful intent its chances of happening are reduced.
Additional Content

> Summarily nerf the existing damage it does so that critical hits are more sustained and you don't SEVERELY hospitalise people with random shooting on non-lethal mode. It also makes the gun a lot safer to handle in the case that it is stolen away from the detective, since the detective holds its secret power of trickshots.

> Amongst some other little things involves a special "bullseye" trigger that allows any user (this is not equipped in the det gun, they are just good from lots of practice on the firing range) in a handgun at the expense of slowing down the rate of fire with a risk of jamming.

Spoiler:
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Re: Detective with the detective pistol can land critical hi

Post by Kel » #265423

InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #265426

First post best post
Bring back papercult.

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #265427

> Gun doesn't become hand cannon traitorbait

> Valued member of sec that doesn't have permittable license to murder made accountable for over-shooting people

> Can still defend self solo by capping knees or hands for relatively low risk (for both people health wise) at range

This is shitty how? You still haven't explained in comprehensive depth or with any working examples.

Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #265464

Just modify your gun to use .357 bullets.

If you land the critical it shoots, if it doesn't it just blows up in your hand.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #265466

Hahahaha
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #265523

D&B wrote:Just modify your gun to use .357 bullets.

If you land the critical it shoots, if it doesn't it just blows up in your hand.
Heyyy, that's not bad actually. 40% of the time jam and 20% blows up?

Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #265530

Yeah something like that.

Just be aware you can and will get a note for using it modified if the shot goes through.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #265538

That note seems more about just killing someone and putting them in the morgue, the method seems irrelevant.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #265539

imblyings wrote:That note seems more about just killing someone and putting them in the morgue, the method seems irrelevant.
They aren't identifiable if they don't have a face because you destroyed the dental records etc. , can be elaborated as a nessecary detail but its hugboxing them into not abusing their power while in the role of detective, as usually there isn't a good legitimate reason to ever blow apart a corpse (lings just grow it back)

That is without pulling out other evidence, i guess allowances could be made with the bullseye trigger, in such a case that a traitor could buy both a revolver & bullseye trigger with borrowed TC from a friend to blow apart faces of victims so they can't be cloned initially without a new cyborg head & brain insertion.

[youtube]ItvclICnwgI[/youtube]

analysis

> Our 'det' (or straight up subject) has a traitor handgun, which is both compact and small and is using its speed plus a slice of luck with landing critical shots whilst using a bullseye trigger. In the hands of the det themselves without need for such a trigger it is VERY dangerous.

> Is still vunerable to sleeping carp/intense melee, unless you really want to reason that you have a 5% chance with bullseye to have one shot go through the barrier which then still rolls to possibly being a critical shot or a mess up.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #265603

Detective is a chain smoking chronically drunk slob who solves cases through sheer luck with a pinch of experience and grit, not a gunslinger.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #265626

I was thinking more 'Inspector callaghan' rather than 'Columbo', because as the only person beside the norm of having lasers, without making it super powerful (which is what the detective hand-cannon is to compensate) the detective slots into the stations line of defence vs energy weapons (or deflection weapons) without of course cracking out and ordering the meme warden sec rifles.

I actually forgot the groin and the eyes

> Stamina damage when shot in the groin with a critical, moderate damage effect 2 time worse on male lizards.

> Eyes, has a chance to cause sight damage.

Critical hits work on test targets for practice purposes so you don't fill people full of holes (why don't we have a wall mounted shooting poster in the dets office to shoot at?)

> Detective may be a neanderthal using basic brute force of primitive bullet propelled gun, a technology centries of years old in which there is a INTENSE demand for antiques but damn they are good at what they do.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266110

This is a bad idea, detective's revolver is for self defense, if they arrest with it that's fine and dandy but you don't need to encourage using it for lethality.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266155

kevinz000 wrote:This is a bad idea, detective's revolver is for self defense, if they arrest with it that's fine and dandy but you don't need to encourage using it for lethality.
Its the only non laser weapon natively used by sec. In many cases it is the only real line of defence beside calling on the bartender to shoot a esworder in the face.

Downgrading its power for instead adding it to a corruptible (but not traitorous) member of sec makes sense, its for self defence and any reasonable detective will have it in non-lethal mode most of the time. When shit REALLY hits the fan and you need something dead it will shine through, plus if you are disarmed its still a bit of a downgraded gun rather than HAND-CANNON iteration we are currently familiar with, in which deadchat will froth at the mouth for you losing to a antag in the first starting minutes of a round.

> Can you really say you can arrest using the current detective pistol? Mostly it involves shooting them multiple times into crit and stablising them with a epi-pen praying you don't get bwoinked and they bleed out/deathgasp and moan over admin pm that you didn't even attempt to arrest them.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266198

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:This is a bad idea, detective's revolver is for self defense, if they arrest with it that's fine and dandy but you don't need to encourage using it for lethality.
Its the only non laser weapon natively used by sec. In many cases it is the only real line of defence beside calling on the bartender to shoot a esworder in the face.

Downgrading its power for instead adding it to a corruptible (but not traitorous) member of sec makes sense, its for self defence and any reasonable detective will have it in non-lethal mode most of the time. When shit REALLY hits the fan and you need something dead it will shine through, plus if you are disarmed its still a bit of a downgraded gun rather than HAND-CANNON iteration we are currently familiar with, in which deadchat will froth at the mouth for you losing to a antag in the first starting minutes of a round.

> Can you really say you can arrest using the current detective pistol? Mostly it involves shooting them multiple times into crit and stablising them with a epi-pen praying you don't get bwoinked and they bleed out/deathgasp and moan over admin pm that you didn't even attempt to arrest them.
Have you ever considered that it's for balance? And yes, they can, as it stuns long enough to cuff [Stun(3)]. If you get it disarmed, your fault and your problem. Security has ballistics in the armory, you don't need to make the most overpowered security roundstart gun even more overpowered!
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #266215

The detective's job should be to do just what his name suggests, detect. I'd rather see more emphasis on that aspect. I liked the idea someone had of giving him a bloodhound that can sniff out prints and shit. I'd you wanted to toy with the chain smoking alcoholic bit maybe you could incorporate those into the job. Taking swigs of whiskey could help the detective focus and highlight objects with fingerprints and shit on them for example. Maybe smoking might let them see some form of trail that would help them figure out where a suspect might have come in from and where they might have gone.

Plus the idea of a detective being called to a scene where his first instinct is to pull out a flask of whiskey and start chugging and smoking like a chimney sounds like it could have some entertaining aspects.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266352

It is not because its a ranged weapon, you would need to stand 1 or two spaces, have the cableties in your pocket (and even then they could have a small window to crawl away if they themselves have nicotine or any kind of drug in their system) plus the fact if it misses, you damage them and make them bleed, without a epi-pen (which you are given one of) or anti oxyloss treatment they will bleed out on the way to brig/medbay. If you don't connect the baton you've just shot a crim to death.

> What kind of dumbass det has to go to medbay first with a suspect rather than just haul them to brig? In my system even if you miss you have a good chance to stun or otherwise deal some non-lethal effect to them.

> And i hear you, but the bloodhound is in another thread, this is specifically for the detectives pistol, not as central focus but polishing up their security response

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266393

Come the fuck on man it's the most op round start weapon give it up.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266396

kevinz000 wrote:Come the fuck on man it's the most op round start weapon give it up.
Are you reading anything im saying? I want to massively downgrade its power and make it only usable to its full capacity, you're assuming i want to keep the det pistol as it is which is monsterously strong.

> I still want esworders to get fucked, because if the det in security is not going to do it, the bartender will beanbag shoot them two times = esworder falls on the floor and gets dragged & bludgeoned to death.

Pff, you could even put in rubber bullets/soft ammo alternative and the det will still kick ass with it in a effective manner. infact that's what we should do, outlaw lethal bullets and give the det rubber bullets with this criticals system so that criminals don't bleed out and is instead pretty beat up. Alter the text just a little bit for each critical based on lethal/non lethal bullets.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #266405

"defense weapon" = best gun in the game?????

Honestly the det gun should be all bark no real bite, to fit with the "YOU SHOULD NOT BE SEC+" playstyle it often sees.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266422

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:"defense weapon" = best gun in the game?????

Honestly the det gun should be all bark no real bite, to fit with the "YOU SHOULD NOT BE SEC+" playstyle it often sees.
Typical mekhi, i agree with your statement which is why for (what is it the fifth or something) time on this thread i've mentioned in no uncertain terms that it should be nerfed for the purpose of self security if it gets taken off you, but still be effective in the hands of the det via criticals.

Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266426

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:"defense weapon" = best gun in the game?????

Typical mekhi, i agree with your statement which is why for (what is it the fifth or something) time on this thread i've mentioned in no uncertain terms that it should be nerfed for the purpose of self security if it gets taken off you, but still be effective in the hands of the det via criticals.
did you completely ignore his second sentence? The point is the detective shouldn't have a good gun

Hell, the fact that it's a 1 hit down makes it absurdly good considering the way combat works - the last thing the det's revolver needs is a buff
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266433

All im hearing is that the gun itself is too powerful (and i've already addressed that), if there's a actualy problem with the critical hits (which are percentage chance so you can bust off a bunch of bullets and still get nothing and even still miss) then that can be totally revised for some alternatives.

Im struggling to pick apart your arguements, since its as nonsensical to me as I might be to you.

Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #266460

The gun being not as good the person disarmed it seems a bit silly when everyone has surgical knowledge, combat knowledge, etc.
FantasticFwoosh wrote:All im hearing is that the gun itself is too powerful (and i've already addressed that), if there's a actualy problem with the critical hits (which are percentage chance so you can bust off a bunch of bullets and still get nothing and even still miss) then that can be totally revised for some alternatives.

Im struggling to pick apart your arguements, since its as nonsensical to me as I might be to you.
Perhaps you should look at your OP where you suggest the gun has extremely lethal bonuses, but only for the det. That and you keep shilling Revolver Ocelot, so it's coming off as you're trying to simply move the direction towards "badass with gun" as opposed to actually striking down the power of the gun.

The gun should never be lethal, in terms of stunning or damage. It should be a slightly more powerful disabler that looks cool.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266468

Fair point, initially each functional critical hit has a effect lethally & non lethally and as i mentioned before that can be tweaked and downgraded. Assuming you are using the standard (and then use the other caliber bullets for increased damage) bullets, and then as i mentioned before some kind of rubber bullet replacement for the det pistol so it becomes a pea shooter, a effective one at that.

> Just change the effects if you think they are too strong. Are you actually protesting about the core feature or just moaning about damage? The principle that the detective can pull off critical hits innately.

The crackshot trait is also inferred into the bullseye pin, which could be special loot or a traitorous item (you can't buy the bullseye & the revolver without additional TC but you could buy the syndi pistol and supply 10 mm bullets yourself)

> I know you cucks won't buy anything unless its branded with your ego fanboy material so i threw revolver ocelot in there to make it sell better, a character who's already been cosplayed by the SS13 tg server many times.

But the gun is lethal as it is, it is VERY lethal so currently det needs this change to stop being a void bwoink magnet when people actually attack them.

Spoiler: