Gentrify the HOS, they are now a police commisioner

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Gentrify the HOS, they are now a police commisioner

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266068

Im going to say it out loud, the HOS looks like a Nazi. With the big long black trenchcoat, i can guess its sort of a nod to it but the perception of power and extreme ideals i think sometimes is additive to HOS's that really push their defined authority and creates a negative influence inherent with shitcurity being backed by this militant figure.

What we need is a senior statesman, someone who with years of experience can still crack skulls but can also run their department effectively, we need a commissioner (not a high commisioner because we are still property of centcomm) of our private police force of secway mall cops who munch on doughnuts and represent the station's interests as a firm force of central power.

> The captain is the only person on the station allowed to wear a cool armor suit because they are the captain. duh!

> Makes the other heads look normal, the MD, RD & HOP all look within the realms of reason but the HOS looks exaggerated, like it was drawn by a bunch of fan-artists or warhammer 40k geeks

"The Most Robust Men Award for Robustness"

"To be Robust is not an action or a way of life, but a mental state. Only those with the force of Will strong enough to act during a crisis, saving friend from foe, are truly Robust. Stay Robust my friends."

Spoiler:
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: Gentrify the HOS, they are now a police commisioner

Post by Scott » #266082

He doesn't look enough of a Nazi tbh, needs a red armband.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #266084

HoS has red armbands in his office if he fancies.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266091

He looks fine .
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #266094

Lumbermancer wrote:HoS has red armbands in his office if he fancies.
Then he needs a cyborg german shephard for a pet.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #266100

pai can be a cyborg corgi.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #266138

is this sec sprites?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #266142

MAKE HIS BOWMAN NOT SHOW THROUGH THE SWAT MASK REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266152

kevinz000 wrote:He looks fine .
If you've got a inflated ego and enjoy hitting people rather than filing security warrants neatly on your desk drinking a cup of joe. The HOS themselves is too frontline as a form of defence raring to go and scrap, scaling them back to be a 'possibly very powerful' but restrained head of staff who better utilities their security force is more constructive than a totalitatian leader that behaviorally could be compared to a nazi in both aesthetics and subsequent roleplaying appeal.

> Two jobs, HOS either suicidally patrols & gets dunked, or protects the security for atleast 1 of these jobs their presence is required (guarding brig, never ever patrol) and they aren't usually called in to use the resources they have anyway, so having a militant HOS is out of place.

In the OP is the plaque enscribed with the ROBUST mantra. HOS has lost their way, in looking robust and over compensating with fanboy bravado but having no actual substance of competency or coming across immensely harsh. The gentrified cardigan wearing silver fox of the inner commisioner shines through with years of RP experience, able to shoot down arguements as well as dissidents if needed. A more civil HOS for a more civil age.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266197

How long have you played HoS?
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #266199

If you've got a inflated ego and enjoy hitting people rather than filing security warrants neatly on your desk drinking a cup of joe.
> play space cop, chasing criminals and killing bad guys and evil aliens
Or
> Play space office and sit in front of a computer filling out paper work

Why don't you just go get a job sitting in a cubicle filling out spreadsheets all day if you really want to do that for fun? At least then you'd be getting paid.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266201

FantasticFwoosh wrote:If you've got a inflated ego and enjoy hitting people rather than filing security warrants neatly on your desk drinking a cup of joe.
As someone who plays HoS making a sprite change is not going to make me play the job that's about literally that and being the one who spearheads security (in my opinion) the way you feel like it which is a space desk job tapping on security records all day.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266360

kevinz000 wrote:How long have you played HoS?
I had a good stint with back to back rounds of HOS with my other character, i don't play it that often anymore but i've had a lot of success with it. I prefer detective but i got ousted over a disagreement over a note which has ruined my experience playing security since i know i have a massive target on my back for admins.
kevinz000 wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:If you've got a inflated ego and enjoy hitting people rather than filing security warrants neatly on your desk drinking a cup of joe.
As someone who plays HoS making a sprite change is not going to make me play the job that's about literally that and being the one who spearheads security (in my opinion) the way you feel like it which is a space desk job tapping on security records all day.
The fact of the matter is that the HOS shouldn't put themselves at risk, you can spearhead security without being there unless totally nessecary. If you're playing a HOS that makes regular arrests solo, you're playing it wrong as one water slip or ambush and you jeopardize the station's stability for being unrobust, rather than surrounding yourself with officers. You're in charge of your officers, in both management co-operatively with the warden in co-ordination & disciplining them.

> I also want all the HOS armor removed, resprited & downgraded in power. The detective & Commisioner should look like they come from atleast the same kind of universe rather than the HOS from some dystopian future and the detective from the past. The black kevlar trenchcoat becomes a brownish 'worn armored greatcoat'.

> Remove those dumb gar glasses, and riot mask from the HOS's locker since they only purport the totalitarian aesthetic, telescopic riot shield & HOS's personal gun is ok, we do still live in the future.

> Im sterilising and conducting a vasectomy on "Boss" culture too by making the HOS less 1 man army heroic, contrary to them being a massive liability if they are incompetent on the frontline, other heads have had their most powerful and outlandish tools removed over time and the HOS is no different. The HOS should represent the interests of sec, and be a strong but guiding hand.

As departmental defence, the warden & the HOS are both desk jobs where you should co-ordinate and pool the information that the detective & officers give you, primary difference is that the HOS colludes with the greater command structure.

Spoiler:
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266389

Honestly even if you somehow do that and get it merged it's not going to change mine or anyone else's playstyle in the least. Armor isn't the reason how goes out to be a cop. Also since I don't screw up ninety five percent of the time I really don't give a fuck.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266408

I can see the logic behind "look like a nazi, play like a nazi", but it's such a retarded idea I really can't sympathize beyond "I see the train of thought"
Limey wrote:its too late.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266622

Qbopper wrote:I can see the logic behind "look like a nazi, play like a nazi", but it's such a retarded idea I really can't sympathize beyond "I see the train of thought"
I couldn't even tell and frankly I don't think I or any other person who likes playing hos cares about clothing appearances. Hitler hoses will still be Hitler . Luke Cox will be Luke Cox. Won't change a thing.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #266624

kevinz000 wrote:
Qbopper wrote:I can see the logic behind "look like a nazi, play like a nazi", but it's such a retarded idea I really can't sympathize beyond "I see the train of thought"
I couldn't even tell and frankly I don't think I or any other person who likes playing hos cares about clothing appearances. Hitler hoses will still be Hitler . Luke Cox will be Luke Cox. Won't change a thing.
luke cox licks cocks

non hut post: yeah pretty much
Limey wrote:its too late.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #266665

I actually like this idea. Part of the problem with giving heads of staff better and cooler looking gear is it attracts power-gamers to what should be a manager role. A robust HoS is nice to have but an HoS who manages his officers well is much more valuable.

I honestly disagree with Steelpoints Ideas to increase HoS and warden armor values, the special toy should be the gun and authority, if we give HoS the tools to supercop then it will attract people who only want combat, and those people should be regular officers and not heads of staff, who are supposed to lead the team.

If anything I would like the costume to be a police chief, "YOU ARE A LOOSE CANNON DETECTIVE!"
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #266671

Dr_bee wrote:I actually like this idea. Part of the problem with giving heads of staff better and cooler looking gear is it attracts power-gamers to what should be a manager role. A robust HoS is nice to have but an HoS who manages his officers well is much more valuable.

I honestly disagree with Steelpoints Ideas to increase HoS and warden armor values, the special toy should be the gun and authority, if we give HoS the tools to supercop then it will attract people who only want combat, and those people should be regular officers and not heads of staff, who are supposed to lead the team.

If anything I would like the costume to be a police chief, "YOU ARE A LOOSE CANNON DETECTIVE!"
I think this boils down to what Heads are in relation to their underlings.

I've always considered them the best version of the department they're managing, like a unit on a RTS who has max experience [think C&C].

This thread sees heads as basically the manager of the department, doing the "paper" work while the underlings do their jobs.

My only problem with that opinion is that being the paperwork guy isn't fun, and rarely does paperwork actually become anything noteworthy in a round [IE I don't think someone has ever caught a changeling by maintaining medical records].
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #266707

But what if I like the HoS because he's a Nazi?

But for real, "space fascism" seems to be the aesthetic that Security is going for. It would be sad to see the department stripped of its character.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #266733

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote: I've always considered them the best version of the department they're managing, like a unit on a RTS who has max experience [think C&C].
all of this. ive literally only ever thought of the heads of staff to be the best of what they oversee, the crème de la crème of their field. security is a combative role by design, lore, and nature.
the HoS is the grizzled veteran, he's been here for years. he's seen the worst of the worst and lived to tell the tale. thus he has weapons & armor superior to that of his peers.
if science wasnt boiled down to... well... a science, the RD would have an advantage at doing R&D with all their basically useless circuits that noone ever EVER grabs out of their office (i guess they have the RTA...).
the CMO is the best at all healing in the game with an always-on MedHUD, a belt defib, and a instant inject syringe with double capacity.
CE has equipment that is just normal engineering equipment but objectively better in every way.
HoP is a bit of an oddball because he, in title, oversees basically anything not in a specific department, but in reality noone expects him to manage the service and civilian departments, nor will he ever. He's more of a mini-captain and every HoP player definitely acts like it, although its not really a bad thing.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #266736

The Head of Security, like any other head role, in theory is meant to represent the very 'best' that department has to offer.

In the past, the reason why the Head of Security is so easily identifiable was because the Head of Security was the most powerful (combat related) character on station, his armour was leaps and bounds better than anything else on station, and he had access to a armoury's worth of old Energy Guns (pre-nerf) and other powerful tools.

That still holds true to a extent today, he's made to be easily identified because he is in a far better position to get shit done than a normal Security Officer. A Head of Security has a lot of leeyway to act and do as they want in a round, whereas a Security Officer is far more constrained in what they can do, both in their equipment and authority.

I don't see any real issue with the Head of Security's uniform, every Head has a unique uniform that makes them stand out from their subordinates.

Edit

Also, anyone who claims the Head of Security is a 'pencil pusher' has a very warped view of the real role of the Head of Security.

He is either leading from the front, because he has better tools and (sometimes) experience, or he's coordinating the larger effort behind the front lines. Usually its the former duing Traitor/Ops whereas its the latter during any crew conversion game mode.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #266753

every time I play HoS i have to wage a brutal and bloody ground war against greytide defacing my brig so no i'll don the long coat if needed
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #266754

I'll be really surprised if HoS players decide to play differently just because they get new clothing sprites.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #266756

having a police commissioner outfit isn't going to stop greytide from spraypainting dicks on my brig windows before smashing them

and it isn't going to stop them from roundstart raiding the HoP's office and beating him to an inch of his life screaming VIVA because last round was a rev round.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #266760

HoS has alternative outfits if you're that worried.
This. Or alternatively go snatch one of the lawyers' suits and sit your sorry fat ass in your office all shift if you're really that intent on playing a pencil pusher who just updates the records and yells at the rest of security. Pretty sure there's no rule saying you're not allowed to do that and the HoS uniform isn't permanently attached to your character. Don't try to force that play style on everyone else though.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #266764

Jacough wrote:
HoS has alternative outfits if you're that worried.
This. Or alternatively go snatch one of the lawyers' suits and sit your sorry fat ass in your office all shift if you're really that intent on playing a pencil pusher who just updates the records and yells at the rest of security. Pretty sure there's no rule saying you're not allowed to do that and the HoS uniform isn't permanently attached to your character. Don't try to force that play style on everyone else though.
you'll get ahelped for not validhunting enough
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #266765

also
<Iamgoofball> kevinz000, there was this one round I was HoS
<Iamgoofball> i made an announcement that I was going to punish tide harshly
<Iamgoofball> >greyshits start fucking with the brig, steal officer equipment
<Iamgoofball> >stole a laser gun off an officer
<Iamgoofball> >inform them they're going to die painfully
<Iamgoofball> >ahelp and let admins know grey tide is punishable by death from here on out
<Iamgoofball> >'tider had all access, stole my officer's laser gun
<Iamgoofball> >we find and laser his ass
<Iamgoofball> >AI gets it's feelies hurt
<Iamgoofball> >sends a borg
<Iamgoofball> >trying to uncuff and save a violent prisoner
<Iamgoofball> >i flash/laser it and hand it off to the roboticist outside the door for repairs
<Iamgoofball> >execute grey tide scum
<Iamgoofball> >continue this for 30 minutes
<Iamgoofball> >we catch the guy who stole the hand tele
<Iamgoofball> >i'm feeling nice so I gulag him for 1000 points because fuck you grand theft
<Iamgoofball> >at least he has a chance of escape
<Iamgoofball> >he ghosted and ahelped about being maxpoint gulag'd for stealing a traitor objective/somethig specifically listed as grand theft item
<Iamgoofball> >he gets shitcanned
<Iamgoofball> >continue massacring grey tiders
<Iamgoofball> >bodycount 10 or so
<Iamgoofball> >the station cheers
<Iamgoofball> >the AI is furious
<Iamgoofball> >tried to lock me down about 5 times, i keep escaping
<Iamgoofball> >my officers take down any and all tiders they find, i execute the extra-shit ones onn the spot
<Iamgoofball> >we took over cloning, no tiders allowed
<Iamgoofball> >earlier that round the HoP's office got completely shitfaced because lol fake revs
<Iamgoofball> >execute everyone involved except one asshole who escaped
<Iamgoofball> >he later finds and kills me
<Iamgoofball> >round end
<Iamgoofball> >none of the tiders who stole shit like all access, guns, officer IDs and equipment or general douchebaggery were antags
<Iamgoofball> >they bitched about how I was a shitty HoS
<Iamgoofball> >they apparently all ahelped
<Iamgoofball> >got out of it scot free
<Iamgoofball> >dont grey tide
and thats why an outfit change wont do anything

also why i only play every few months
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266801

Steelpoint wrote:The Head of Security, like any other head role, in theory is meant to represent the very 'best' that department has to offer.

In the past, the reason why the Head of Security is so easily identifiable was because the Head of Security was is* the most powerful (combat related) character on station, his armour was leaps and bounds better than anything else on station, and he had access to a armoury's worth of old Energy Guns (pre-nerf) and other powerful tools.

That still holds true to a extent today, he's made to be easily identified because he is in a far better position to get shit done than a normal Security Officer. A Head of Security has a lot of leeyway to act and do as they want in a round, whereas a Security Officer is far more constrained in what they can do, both in their equipment and authority.
*Cough* Final Boss *Cough*

He shouldn't be getting shit done firsthand without actually committing to a operation where they are flanked with officers, without first understanding what is at stake to lose. If you are not first going to over-prepare the HOS with a counter to everything, then scale them back and refocus like this suggestion puts forward, you talk like nothing in the armory (since the HOS has unlimited access to it) would be even of use to a HOS so instead all the best stuff is shoved into a largely unsecure locker.

> I applaud HOS's who are hands on with dealing with revs in a situation of helping out a operation to take cargo, i don't approve of HOS's walking randomly down the halls fully equipped or running through maintenance. A solo HOS is the most vunerable person on the station for giving out the keys to have everything go to shit and should take heavy responsibility in league with the captain (who's loss can literally end the round with the nuke disk/unlimited access)

Also mekhi, how you play is a edge case, im thinking about those without 'established characters' who would be dipping into the role for the first time (or first chance to play in a while) etc. rather than your whitelist setting to high BS back to back round meme head.

> Iamgoofball if you rise to the aggro you're no better than the tiders, you could use a lesson in slight of hand to stop drawing aggro to yourself immediately in the starting minutes of a round. I also highly doubt that anybody would get ahelped for not valid hunting 'enough' and that highlights a issue with security having no depth other than to mindlessly patrol (obviously something a highly armed but not infallable HOS shouldn't be doing because once they drop, captain & command are as good as GG as shitters flood the armory)

Next time i get HOS i might just do that Jacough.
iamgoofball wrote:having a police commissioner outfit isn't going to stop minor IC crime from spraypainting dicks on my brig windows before smashing them

and it isn't going to stop them from roundstart raiding the HoP's office and beating him to an inch of his life screaming VIVA because last round was a rev round.
Its another barrier to tackle, but if you don't smell of loot drop (= the best combat gear on the station / they taste the all-access on the HOP) then the horde flitters right past you unless they want your ID, and then there's plenty of secuity knick-knacks without having to go LITERALLY over the top to ensure your personal survival

Editing Disclaimer - I am still processing caffiene.

Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #266806

kevinz000 wrote:I'll be really surprised if HoS players decide to play differently just because they get new clothing sprites.
I'll be even more brutal because the irony would be funny
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266808

Well obviously in that case that's just you being self concious of the fact, and probably end up getting a note to stop being shitsec in the process.

Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #266809

Point in case, changing clothes isn't going to do shit.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #266815

>itt fwoosh revels in finding out just how fertile a field tg is for baiting people
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266816

You're a wolf in sheeps clothing is your entire point here, how edgy. Its not for already hardened shitsec, its for everyone else because you're the "role model", what we need are actually respectable HOS's that aren't based entirely on power. This is one step towards that.

>> itt you don't spend enough time in the hut, i already know.

Spoiler:
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #266817

Well it spilled over from the hut to here we can't have you riling up our local sec players can we
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #266842

the officer who got killed for his gear was asking for it he was dressed so provocatively!!!!!
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #267079

iamgoofball wrote:also
amazing story that deserves a medal of heroic acts of security
and thats why an outfit change wont do anything

also why i only play every few months
Goof you're amazing

fwoosh this idea is dumb, the HoS is a grizzled veteran, paperwork faggotry is for the HoP
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #267102

can i please selfquote and say that once again the majority of us won't give a shit about your sprite changes and in reality no one's going to get bwoinked because they didn't suddenly start playing deskjobs?