Food, Nutrition, and a Balanced Diet

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Food, Nutrition, and a Balanced Diet

Post by cedarbridge » #269450

As it exists right now, cooking has somewhat stagnated. While the variance in nutrition values between cooked or grown goods has made them more desirable than vending machine junk food, there's a lot of concern that the advent of deepfrying has made creative cooking something that a chef doesn't really need or care to do most of the time apart from some RP gimmick. In turn this means that botany has nothing to do but autism up weaponry or spam shrooms all over the station.

In this thread we contemplate:

-minor buffs from consumed foods
-bonuses or penalties for stages of hunger/overeating
-foods you'd like to see added to the roster of cookables
-more interesting and different ways to make cooking fun not already on this list
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Food, Nutrition, and a Balanced Diet

Post by PKPenguin321 » #269453

In the future, all nutrition is obtained via "deep frying" random objects such as shoes in a vat filled with water from the sink (which mysteriously has infinite water), then eating the "water crust," leaving the object intact. World hunger is solved through this, and food is simply a cheap luxury, hence its presence (and lack of real impact) on the station.

This is canon.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #269457

Foods should have more of a presence than eat 1 thing till your overweight and your good for the next 3 hour round.

Overweight should slow you down more than it does.
Also you shouldn't be able to put yourself in crates, lockers, suit storages, etc. Stupid fatties!

Unweighted should give others that hit you a higher chance to weaken. Do you even lift you stick?

Keeping yourself within that 3rd level of nutrition should increase your healing rate, make you stay at max speed through minor speed debuffs, a la dufflebag. A fit spessman won't be slowed by a bag but a hardsuit or spesswind will.

Food to metabolize slower or higher depending on hunger level. (Perhaps a hidden metabolizing stat each round like blood type.) And foods should give small buffs depending on how complex the food is and what ingredients were used to make them.

I believe these would be a good addition to the current food situation.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #269460

I think botany plants should provide buffs to food - I can't think of any specific examples, but say Recipe A gives you a slight speed boost or regen powers for a limited time, maybe?

Deepfried foods should make you fat much quicker and maybe lessen buffs
Limey wrote:its too late.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #269462

Alipheese wrote:Foods should have more of a presence than eat 1 thing till your overweight and your good for the next 3 hour round.

Overweight should slow you down more than it does.
Also you shouldn't be able to put yourself in crates, lockers, suit storages, etc. Stupid fatties!

Unweighted should give others that hit you a higher chance to weaken. Do you even lift you stick?

Keeping yourself within that 3rd level of nutrition should increase your healing rate, make you stay at max speed through minor speed debuffs, a la dufflebag. A fit spessman won't be slowed by a bag but a hardsuit or spesswind will.

Food to metabolize slower or higher depending on hunger level. (Perhaps a hidden metabolizing stat each round like blood type.) And foods should give small buffs depending on how complex the food is and what ingredients were used to make them.

I believe these would be a good addition to the current food situation.
Edit: missed the part for a balanced diet.
So split hunger into like 3 sets that combine for an overall diet.
Meats
Grains
Vegetables/fruits
Filling them all up to 100 you become maximum overweight.
Having them all at 0 your maximum underweight.
Balancing them to be around the middle point for the overall diet balance stat to be:
0-20 underweight
21-40 undernourished
41-60 balanced
61-80 chubby/slightly overweight
81-100 overweight
Meat balance ?/100
Grains balance ?/100
Veg/fruit balance ?/100
Nutrition level = (meat+grain+veg/fruit)/3
Slamming yourself full with just meat you'd be undernourished. Some grains and veg/fruit you'd be undernourished. A decent bit of all and youre good.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #269476

Give people random tastes in their memories at round start, and give them tastes they absolutely hate. 60% of tastes they will love, 40% they will hate. It will list what foods you like in your memories based off of this, so you know what to ask when the chef comes up.

Additionally, the chefs book will now have to be updated with a formatted page of all the recipes.

Eating something that you like will along with the nutriment it gives you, give you 2 units of omni and increase your metabolism by 30% for the next two minutes, and make you VERY VERY VERY slightly faster

Eating something that you don't like will cause you to vomit, become dizzy, take minor toxins damage, and pass out every one to two minutes.

The result of this will cause people to ask the chef to cook things to order. Each food item will have a certain tastes it gives. Here's a list.

Types of flavor:
+SWEET
+SAVORY (any kind of meat and anything that's made or contains any form of meat)
+SALTY (applying ten units of salt to something)
+VERY SALTY ( applying more than 30 units of salt to something)
+CURED ( cooking meat with 60 units of salt then letting it sit for five minutes give this, it will never go bad)
+PEPPERY (applying pepper to anything gives it this flag)
+CITRUS (lemon pie, key lime pie, anything containing or made with citrus fruits)
+MILDLY HOT (certain sauces and american foods, like hot wings)
+MEDIUM HOT (certain sauces and american foods, like hot wings)
+SPICY (generic mexican or cajun food)
+VERY SPICY (pepperspray + any diluting flavor like salt, sugar, milk, or flour)
+EXTREMELY SPICY (basically pepperspray)
+SWEET (anything that contains sugar or non expired chocolate)
+BITTER (expired chocolate)
+STRONG (cooked with booze)
+CHOCOLATE (certain cakes, pies, cookies, chocolate bars, cocoa plants, and chocolate itself)
+BLAND (under cooked or has no assigned flags, EVERYONE hates bland food)
+FLAVORLESS (tofu and otherwise non edible items)
+RAW ALIEN (gives you a random non-spreadable disease, dumps toxins into you, knocks you out)
+ALIEN (gives you a random non-spreadable disease)

Food now expires after 15 minutes of being left in the open when between 20 degrees F and 120 degrees F.
The chef's coat and apron are now insulated, and will protect from cold.
The freezer is now set to 20 degrees F, whatever that is in C.
Pete does not freeze and is one of the few temp immune mobs.

The chef now receives heated tables, climbing on these gives you 10 burn for every tick that you are on them. Placing food on them keeps it from expiring.
Keeping food in closed freezers keeps them from expiring
Keeping food anywhere where its below 20 degrees, including space, keeps it from expiring.

Hibatchi (or however the fuck you spell that) coming soon.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #269493

the likes/dislikes is interesting but having people vomit/literally become closer to death because they ate shit they didn't like is an awful idea

make it allergies or osmething, not "dislikes"
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #269499

we don't even need the kitchen
watermeloans full of nutriment
I play Boris Pepper.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #269505

Qbopper wrote:the likes/dislikes is interesting but having people vomit/literally become closer to death because they ate shit they didn't like is an awful idea

I honestly think its enough to just have eating stuff you don't like not give you the benefit of eating something you do. Similarly, I think the system should prioritize the more complicated or unusual food types. The idea is to make sure that botany is included in this process so they have incentive to provide the best quality fruits and veggies to the chef.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #269520

This isn't just a good oxford idea. It's the best oxford idea.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #269527

Qbopper wrote:the likes/dislikes is interesting but having people vomit/literally become closer to death because they ate shit they didn't like is an awful idea

I dunno, I hate baloney. If I had to eat a slice I doubt I'd be puking but if you made me eat a pack of the stuff I'd probably puke in disgust. Maybe if you eat to much of something your character hates he vomits? Might make for some hilarity when the grey tide inevitably decide to stuff their faces with food they hate so they can turn the bar into a janitorial nightmare. Then again an assistant deliberately shoving an entire vending machine worth of cheetos down his throat so he can puke himself to death in the HoP line could be even funnier
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #269542

Jacough wrote:

I dunno, I hate baloney. If I had to eat a slice I doubt I'd be puking but if you made me eat a pack of the stuff I'd probably puke in disgust. Maybe if you eat to much of something your character hates he vomits? Might make for some hilarity when the grey tide inevitably decide to stuff their faces with food they hate so they can turn the bar into a janitorial nightmare. Then again an assistant deliberately shoving an entire vending machine worth of cheetos down his throat so he can puke himself to death in the HoP line could be even funnier
You could have slowdown if you eat stuff you don't like, but overdosing on shit you don't like is vomit tier
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #269546

Different buffs from different kinds of food could work
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #269575

all that needs to happen right now is raising the threshold when you overeat, it's sad seeing the food that a good chef makes go to waste because my spessmen can't eat much despite doing extreme cardio constantly
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #269577

imblyings wrote:all that needs to happen right now is raising the threshold when you overeat, it's sad seeing the food that a good chef makes go to waste because my spessmen can't eat much despite doing extreme cardio constantly
Exercise machines need to actually burn weight off too. Or at least add +1 force to your unarmed attacks.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #269579

The crafting menu is the clunkiest shit.
Between navigating it and the crafting time, making actual food in large quantities is a pain.
I wish you could just add ingredients to a plate and it would automagically turn into a recipe if filled with the correct stuff.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #269583

cedarbridge wrote:
imblyings wrote:all that needs to happen right now is raising the threshold when you overeat, it's sad seeing the food that a good chef makes go to waste because my spessmen can't eat much despite doing extreme cardio constantly
Exercise machines need to actually burn weight off too. Or at least add +1 force to your unarmed attacks.
would actually be pretty cool if an assistant who's been chugging meat and working out will kick your ass with his hyperpunches
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #269584

I like cooking as the chef from an RP sense,but it does need some buffs.
I also like the paperbags because it lets me make a NT themed burger takeaway.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #269585

Food allergies could open up the doors to some really nasty admin buttons. Like the admins could have a button that gives someone such a bad allergy that it causes their head to explode if they eat that food
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #269601

Make food have Carbs, Protein, and Fats. Carbs will speed you up but get metabolized quickly. Protein will heal you, maybe give you slight regeneration, and metabolize normally. Fats will fill you up a LOT and metabolize very slowly but otherwise give you no positive effects. Deep fried foods will be very fatty which will make it a less desirable option.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #269658

I just make a chem dispenser and chug sugar till the hunger stops.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #269671

ALright

we'd have to rework how nutrition works, similar to CDDA.

your body needs x ammount of protien, carbs, sugar, ect ect.
having a surplus of any of these will give you buffs and debuffs, there will be a signifigant range between very little and very high that will give you none.

lots of protien = you move slightly slower because you got dem gains but you punch slightly harder because you got them gains
lots of carbs = your metabolism runs slightly faster but you have slightly less feeling in your arms or something idk im not a doctor

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #269689

John_Oxford wrote:ALright

we'd have to rework how nutrition works, similar to CDDA.

your body needs x ammount of protien, carbs, sugar, ect ect.
having a surplus of any of these will give you buffs and debuffs, there will be a signifigant range between very little and very high that will give you none.

lots of protien = you move slightly slower because you got dem gains but you punch slightly harder because you got them gains
lots of carbs = your metabolism runs slightly faster but you have slightly less feeling in your arms or something idk im not a doctor
Sugar should stay its own thing too but serve a similar role. We can make energy drinks (kinda like how nukacola works now) that load you up on sugar and you get to zip around on a sugar rush but then you get some slowdown after when you run it off. Same for stuff like candies and things. Stuff your face with candy, sugar rush, get a slight speed increase for the duration.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #269710

Holy shit fuck you Oxford, you made one of the best ideas i've heard from you and then you dumbed it down on the SAME PAGE.
Spoiler:
John_Oxford wrote:Give people random tastes in their memories at round start, and give them tastes they absolutely hate. 60% of tastes they will love, 40% they will hate. It will list what foods you like in your memories based off of this, so you know what to ask when the chef comes up.

Additionally, the chefs book will now have to be updated with a formatted page of all the recipes.

Eating something that you like will along with the nutriment it gives you, give you 2 units of omni and increase your metabolism by 30% for the next two minutes, and make you VERY VERY VERY slightly faster

Eating something that you don't like will cause you to vomit, become dizzy, take minor toxins damage, and pass out every one to two minutes.

The result of this will cause people to ask the chef to cook things to order. Each food item will have a certain tastes it gives. Here's a list.

Types of flavor:
+SWEET
+SAVORY (any kind of meat and anything that's made or contains any form of meat)
+CURED ( cooking meat with 60 units of salt then letting it sit for five minutes give this, it will never go bad)
+CITRUS (lemon pie, key lime pie, anything containing or made with citrus fruits)
+VERY SPICY (pepperspray + any diluting flavor like salt, sugar, milk, or flour)
+CHOCOLATE (certain cakes, pies, cookies, chocolate bars, cocoa plants, and chocolate itself)
+RAW ALIEN (gives you a random non-spreadable disease, dumps toxins into you, knocks you out)

Food now expires after 15 minutes of being left in the open when between 20 degrees F and 120 degrees F.

The chef now receives heated tables, climbing on these gives you 10 burn for every tick that you are on them. Placing food on them keeps it from expiring.
Keeping food anywhere where its below 20 degrees, including space, keeps it from expiring.

FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #270026

Armhulen wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
would actually be pretty cool if an assistant who's been chugging meat and working out will kick your ass with his hyperpunches
Chugging goliath steaks, bacon strips, drinking amasec/dwarf ale/ale based drinks, cream etc. should help elate you up to a greater state of SWOLE combined with exercise.

- Ashwalkers and androids (static swole) are already swole as a base body type into stage 1 swole, can lose swole by not working out, plasmamen/skeletons & flypeople are lean and can't put on weight or lose weight.

- End result of super swole super saiyan spessman that can function at 1/2 of a hulk.

Spoiler:
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #270580

Put buffs on plants like their genetic abilities. Botanists could save some buffs and move them to other plants. Not all buffs should be transferable though. If you can transfer every buff you'd end up with a very boring and simple to make super food. X buff is only ever available on Corn, it would force you to make corn based recipes and increase variety. Eaten raw has a reduced effect, or no effect, though. Cooked food will always transfer the buff. This would build in some cooperation so the botanists can't just hand out the buffs themselves. More complex and varied food would be encouraged. You might have a good buff on some tomatoes and soybeans. Make the tomatoes into ketchup and make cans of beans with both buffs. When was the last time someone made canned beans in SS13?

Potential buffs:

Reduced Damage: while in your system you take less burn or brute damage. gives you a small armor rating against the damage basically.
Increased Melee Damage: makes you stronger for a little while. Adds a minor amount to damage of your fists or any held object.
Steady Footing: no slip for a little while
Hauling: someone else's suggestion: duffel bags won't slow you down
Better Hauling(more rare): Hardsuits won't slow you down.

The main difficulties:

Balance
Coding would be tedious and have some bloat. You would have to have all intermediate food items carry the buffs. Corn->Tortilla->Enchilada

Things to consider:

My version here is still mostly on the botanist's shoulders. The chef needs to make the actual food but doesn't have much impact in creating the buffs to begin with. Maybe there's some way to work buffs into butchering animals and people. Maybe a corpse can be injected with various chemicals to randomly create buffs. Then when butchered they would have meat with the buffs. The chef is the one stealing and gibbing bodies, raiding genetics for monkeys, bugging cargo for monkey cube crates, etc. If we also gave something special to meat it would give the chef something extra to do.
--Crocodillo

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #270589

Diabetes existing and starving killing you when
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #270590

Armhulen wrote:Holy shit fuck you Oxford, you made one of the best ideas i've heard from you and then you dumbed it down on the SAME PAGE.
Spoiler:
John_Oxford wrote:Give people random tastes in their memories at round start, and give them tastes they absolutely hate. 60% of tastes they will love, 40% they will hate. It will list what foods you like in your memories based off of this, so you know what to ask when the chef comes up.

Types of flavor:
+SWEET

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #270600

cmspano wrote:snip
I like this a lot, but I'd probably just remove or STRONGLY limit the splicing of traits. As seen already, botany is a nightmare of crossbread super plants. We're trying to encourage both cooking and diversity of good food choices.

>this puts it too much on botany
Not entirely. Give recipes that use combinations of healthy or high quality ingredients a shared combination of the food benefits. This way, the cooked foods are the super foods by combining the benefits of the quality grown and cooked components.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #270624

something like stew, which requires like 5 different crop plants and some meat should probably give some kind of small buff other than satiety.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #270653

cedarbridge wrote:
I like this a lot, but I'd probably just remove or STRONGLY limit the splicing of traits. As seen already, botany is a nightmare of crossbread super plants. We're trying to encourage both cooking and diversity of good food choices.

Not entirely. Give recipes that use combinations of healthy or high quality ingredients a shared combination of the food benefits. This way, the cooked foods are the super foods by combining the benefits of the quality grown and cooked components.
That's true, you can only eat so much so trying to eat tons of raw food for bonuses would limit how many you could get.
--Crocodillo

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #270656

cmspano wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

That's true, you can only eat so much so trying to eat tons of raw food for bonuses would limit how many you could get.
Or we could even move the buffs to a special category where they only "come out" when cooked so eating a bunch of raw corn or potatoes makes you full but tastes like crap so you don't get any buffs out of it without the chef's magic microwave touch.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #270687

Ill make a fourm post with all the shit i said fleshed out over the week am.

It's not super complicated but ill show all the items and shit, basically adding nutrition and swoleness. Working out should give you a slightly different sprite (more defined abs and heavier shading on the arms) Doing this will give you say like +3 health on all limbs and +4 brute when you punch someone with like a additional 10% chance to knock them out. Maybe less slow downs in hardsuits and heavy armor to encourage people to immediately run at the start of the round to a work out room and min-max their swoleness. Chef would serve high protein food at the start of the round, all the greytiders, security, and engineers would run up, eat it, get lots of protein and other vits. then run to the work out room and spam e for five minutes.

swoleness sprites don't go away, the buffs just go away when the level of protein in your system drops below normal and when its been like 10 minutes since you last worked out.

maybe working certain muscle groups will give certain buffs. legs for speed, chest for damage resistance, arms for damage increase, and head for i don't know so you can look like goldberg i guess.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #270694

I need this so I can run around in the hallways with boxing gloves and athlete shorts and punch everyone I see with Rocky music playing

cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #271176

why no just make it so food have chemical?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #271187

cocothegogo wrote:why no just make it so food have chemical?
Because that's the sort of shortcutting that created the current botany nightmare.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #271210

cedarbridge wrote:
cocothegogo wrote:why no just make it so food have chemical?
Because that's the sort of shortcutting that created the current botany nightmare.
The imaginary Botany nightmare
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271259

One day if you wear a red shirt and eat five dozen eggs you might end up being a spaceman the size of a barge.

Spoiler:
Swagbringer
Byond Username: Swagbringer

Post by Swagbringer » #271415

I think making food buffs be conditional on the foods ingredients would be a nice change for cooking and botany. Chickens are currently never utilised even though making a large amount of them is very easy, making it that chicken meat provided better buffs than monkey meat which can be spammed from the biogenerator would be a good idea. You could do the same with vegetables and fruit. Banana pie just fills you up, bluespace banana pie, funny effects like the rd's televest.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271427

Paraphrasing my point from another thread
FantasticFwoosh wrote:Bartender & chef needs the botany to work much more than botany has ANY reliance on them. They basically kiss botany's ass all the time.
Snip ~ The above comment, in that nothing is enforced, so making service EVEN MORE about buffing and detracting a small amount from the plants indivudally (cooking gives more refined effects etc.) then botany is incentivised to fund

Snip ~ Use goof-farm or farming variant with a mixture of xenbio slime management esque activities to help differentiate botany into a different sub-department, botany and barnyard work off each other = Feed the animals with plants etc.

Snip ~ Goof farm was a success during test merge with incubators & eggs, goof said he wanted to create expansion of the concept. And we can order animal stock from cargo
A growing spacexer (did you just assume my space gender?) needs a good source of protien, i support chicken, beef, pork & lizardman dino chops to be top of the line in food produce. And getting a regular supply of animals to butcher requires breeding or otherwise buying the animal stock. In short

Fund goof-farm for massive gains.

[youtube]mdw3OPEk0hQ[/youtube]

Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #271429

Plus one on other types of meat being better for you, I usually only serve goat and cow just to be a food snob but it would be nice to give it a tangible benefit
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271430

W H E N I W A S A L A D I A T E 4 D O S E N E G G S E V E R Y M O R N I N G T O H E L P M E G E T L A R G E

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #271432

Armhulen wrote:
Armhulen wrote:Holy shit fuck you Oxford, you made one of the best ideas i've heard from you and then you dumbed it down on the SAME PAGE.
Spoiler:

Types of flavor:
+SWEET

STILL THE BEST IDEA.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271453

I mean im not keen on the flavour thing since we already have a flavour system in drinks we could port over to food, but the last two paragraphs about spoilage i would like very much, packaged food like jerkey (and baked beans) doesn't go off at all and is basically trash tier rations. Omni is strong, maybe extra vitamin (not nutriment) content.

- Flypeople automatically like and consume rotting food without vomiting

- Heated table (or just a ability to activate the table heating with the button) would discourage assistants climbing over and allow you to grill food infront of you

- Pete is a woolly goat, im sure that and long haired animals would have some resistance to cold.

- All officers would need to like sweet things to injest doughnuts and release the healing and said benefits (and a range of basic non-expirable package junk foods to cater to tastes)

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #271459

FantasticFwoosh wrote:I mean im not keen on the flavour thing since we already have a flavour system in drinks we could port over to food, but the last two paragraphs about spoilage i would like very much, packaged food like jerkey (and baked beans) doesn't go off at all and is basically trash tier rations. Omni is strong, maybe extra vitamin (not nutriment) content.

- Flypeople automatically like and consume rotting food without vomiting

- Heated table (or just a ability to activate the table heating with the button) would discourage assistants climbing over and allow you to grill food infront of you

- Pete is a woolly goat, im sure that and long haired animals would have some resistance to cold.

- All officers would need to like sweet things to injest doughnuts and release the healing and said benefits (and a range of basic non-expirable package junk foods to cater to tastes)
Flypeople should only be able to eat rotten food, and instead of eating nice food, they will vomit on it which turns it rotten in 15 seconds
but vomitting makes them hungrier, so...

The chef chooses between either a heated table which makes it harder to cross and can cook food, a cooled table which slows down expiration and makes it harder to cross or an electric table which is obviously the best at stopping moonlighting but it's an electric table
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271464

Remove (or severely nerf) microwaves, replace with a oven and heated tables and make people manage the heat blind without testing with a thermometer.

I want to beat a assistant to death with a wok pan while i cook my special noodles over the oven, trying not to burn them with the reagents in the pan.

- Actually give the chef tools to cook with, rather than all the emphasis on preparing the food in knives etc. Pie trays, cookie cutters, pots, pans.

- People have already said that they dislike the current crafting system's food because its too clunky, ditch the recipies and go with the prescedent here of adding materials into a mix.

Spoiler:
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #271637

Microwaves should just make the item you put in it 3 degrees hotter for every second its inside.

It doesn't cook it, it just makes it hot, meaning you can't just throw meat in the microwave and cook it for two minutes and say "yeah this half a cow now has perfect char lines and is cooked to perfection all through the power of this wonderful microwave"

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #271643

John_Oxford wrote:Microwaves should just make the item you put in it 3 degrees hotter for every second its inside.

It doesn't cook it, it just makes it hot, meaning you can't just throw meat in the microwave and cook it for two minutes and say "yeah this half a cow now has perfect char lines and is cooked to perfection all through the power of this wonderful microwave"
Mircowaves aren't really mircrowaves. They're just magic cooking boxes because we don't have the kitchen space currently mapped to allow for a full food assembly line and there's no reason for that because we haven't implemented anything that this thread was started to discuss. I'd be cool with turning microwaves into grills/stoves/ovens but then you have several machines to do the same thing where one works perfectly fine. Instead of dreaming up a million sideshow machines and sub-functions, lets keep this thread to making the food itself worthwhile while also working interaction back into the service department sections (botany, bartender, chef.)
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271661

I mean, we literally cook steaks on lava like savages, managing heat cooking can be done in a chem heater. Microwaves currently heat reagents to a 1000 degrees in the short span of 30 seconds which is infitely abusable by chemistry.

We're just emulating a controlled bonfire, but on a stove or hot table. Forgetting to micromanage and take food out of the over/off the boil should have consequences.

- I see your point, back on nutrition.

Spoiler: