Pool's closed - Channelled tiles

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Pool's closed - Channelled tiles

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271022

With the advent of Xhuis's prospective plumbing system, this pool will soon be open for business.

Basically the suggestive idea is that like tiny fans, we create channelled tiles that do not leak water (unless adjacent to another open channel, but are stopped by the borders), but smoothly clip to edges of the tile (and then port this over to lavaland lava) and in the station's pool there are special decorative channeled pool tiles (perhaps some no traction tiles around the edges after you emerge dripping wet) for us to experience a pool at swimming depth safely without it turning into a fish tank.

- Make channelled metal tiles out of plasteel, or the PCD (pool construction device), you can also make natural channelled tiles out of further dug up basalt by re-digging a already dug tile, add reagent down to fill a pool up, though without filtration it won't remain very clean.

- Lavaproof golems can have a swimming pool full of lava, i guess its technically a spa treatment for them.

- Acid baths, fun for the entire crew.

If you have infectious diseases in your blood, please steer away from the pool, same goes for if somebody throws a traitor plushy in there with you and then you have to escape by using the pool ladder slowly while it bites you to death.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Pool's closed - Channelled tiles

Post by kevinz000 » #271042

i was about to say not that shit of an idea
but >plasteel
>meme image
shed
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271052

What's your affront to plasteel? It needs to be robust to handle all of the chemicals that could be dumped into it such as said acid/lava, i was lead into a assumption that it was the prime alternative building material other than sheet metal (too much of it everywhere), and also it would be shiny and clean like a pool should. How many pieces 1 sheet of plasteel should give is a argument of its own.

Not backwards compatible into plasteel, pops off into parts (though you could put that in a grinder for small gains but nothing much), pool ladders for faster crawling out of channelled tiles (A chasm is a channelled tile with no bottom) rather than slowly hauling yourself up the edges while said traitor carp plushies rip the skin off your back.

- Makes boats on the water stay on the water border until hauled onto land, miners can paddle in the station pool with their goliath plate boat, only difference between a wooden boat is that its lava/fireproof. Hopefully mobs (such as annoying tendrils that spawn in lava on lavaland) will move slower in liquid and then also stay away from lava.

- Also fishing this can accommodate with a fishing rod and large and deep enough source of non-bordered central water in your pool (think the sims physics of unseen but present fish) not to mention mining activity of lava fishing.

Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271271

not commenting on the rest of the idea but you could have regular metal for channeled tiles and plasteel for "reinforced" tiles that can resist stuff you described
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271287

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Qbopper wrote:not commenting on the rest of the idea but you could have regular metal for channeled tiles and plasteel for "reinforced" tiles that can resist stuff you described
What's your affront to plasteel? It needs to be robust to handle all of the chemicals that could be dumped into it such as said acid/lava
If a channelled metal floor tile melts under acid, it will spill out but that defies the natural laws of the game and summarily will put a hole into floorspace. Basalt/Organic Dirt & Plasteel are chosen specifically because they would be robust enough to not be melted and cause this issue. Whether that is intentional or not, it defeats the purpose of any kind of spillover of chemicals (because it just falls into a void of space/chasm) and just makes a hole to repair.

Plasteel is not hard to get anyway if miners actually work or science co-operates to create plasma out of slimes. PCD just eats matter to make it, so its a valuable tool for that function anyway, what's the issue?

Spoiler:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #271302

kevinz000 wrote:i was about to say not that shit of an idea
but >plasteel
>meme image
shed
Are Habbo raids even a thing anymore? I think the last time I did shit like that was with a bunch of other guys who closed the bus stop as Rosa Parks back in like 2010
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271311

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Qbopper wrote:not commenting on the rest of the idea but you could have regular metal for channeled tiles and plasteel for "reinforced" tiles that can resist stuff you described
What's your affront to plasteel? It needs to be robust to handle all of the chemicals that could be dumped into it such as said acid/lava
If a channelled metal floor tile melts under acid, it will spill out but that defies the natural laws of the game and summarily will put a hole into floorspace. Basalt/Organic Dirt & Plasteel are chosen specifically because they would be robust enough to not be melted and cause this issue. Whether that is intentional or not, it defeats the purpose of any kind of spillover of chemicals (because it just falls into a void of space/chasm) and just makes a hole to repair.

Plasteel is not hard to get anyway if miners actually work or science co-operates to create plasma out of slimes. PCD just eats matter to make it, so its a valuable tool for that function anyway, what's the issue?
The acid could melt the floor tile but not penetrate the hull?

I don't see the issue I guess
Limey wrote:its too late.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271353

Eitherway it would be really messy, but i see your counter arguement. I forget if the hull can be damaged so much into (it can) exposed lattices (which then space will disperse the liquid into dissappearing along with the rest of the air in the room) but currently we can't deliberately (xenomorphs can) melt the floor.

Another thing to consider is that we don't know precisely how the liquid mechanics may work, it may be a case that a acid reagent liquid will actively apply to everything it touches, in which case burning through the hull with enough time and acidity strength after dissolving the floor tiles may only be a matter of time where it is more concentrated.

- Plasteel (in walls) is strong enough to ward off crumbling under the acid of xenomorphs, to stop acid message spam there will probably have to be something set up like gases checking the acidity resistance of objects before attempting to crumble it.

Spoiler: