Sanity

A place to record your ideas for the game.
LifeReign
Byond Username: LifeReign

Sanity

Post by LifeReign » #271398

I'm having trouble sleeping so I'm going to put this here to get it out of my mind.

What if we had sanity in this game? As your sanity drops, you start hallucinating with worse hallucinations as you go gradually insane. If you reach rock bottom for sanity, there are two things that can happen. If you're alone in a poorly lit area, the lights start to flicker and you get a warning to find a brighter area or a buddy before you are devoured. Otherwise, you can randomly start to attempt suicide, and if you don't resist out of suicide in time, you are made to go through with it.

You lose sanity when:
  • in poorly lit areas (more when alone and even more when there's no light at all)
  • around a lot of blood
  • around gibs
  • around dead bodies, especially mutilated ones
  • when covered in blood or when you can see someone covered in blood
  • when you're around someone else who is insane that isn't wearing a muzzle
  • you're suffering from withdrawal for an addiction
  • looking at a zombie, changeling with obvious changeling traits, morph in morph form, revenant, nar'sie constructs
  • attacked by one of the above
  • you take large amounts of damage at once (oh the pain!)
Sanity gains:
  • You eat hot food such as hot donk pockets (small sanity gain) or food from the chef (good sanity gain)
  • You sleep on a bed/in a sleeper/in a cryotube
  • Randomly whenever you're near certain growing plants (sunflower?) These would have to be in a tray/pile of dirt
  • Be a podman in good light
  • Consume drugs such as space drugs or meth, but chems like meth would give you a massive boost to sanity that will fade once you're off of meth
  • The chaplain could be given a channeled ability that lets them give a sermon to heal sanity to everybody in the area
  • Drink hot chocolate/consume chocolate
Being drunk could make you immune to sanity changes.

Antags could be somewhat resistant to sanity loss, with horror based antags such as blood cult (they're already insane!), changelings, morphs, and zombies immune to sanity loss while also dealing sanity damage to those they attack. Mindshield implants could also protect from sanity loss. If possible, certain jobs could also have resistance to certain sanity loss sources such as the Janitor towards blood and gibs (he's cleaned up worse messes), medical crew towards blood and corpses (they have to deal with these things), and the clown/mime to everything.

Blood cult could be altered to deal with sanity more. Blood cultists are immune to all sanity losses, and they gain tools to deal sanity damage. Conversion runes could convert people with low sanity that look at them (might need to take out stun talismans though), and almost every form of obvious blood cult stuff could deal sanity damage just by looking at them. Looking at Nar'Sie is instant insanity, of course.

This will probably be a lot of stuff to implement, but it could answer issues with people never eating the chef's food, station cleanliness being largely irrelevant (the janitor can be a true hero!), botany not having much helpful stuff to do, and staying forever alone being the best option for safety. Also, it could be interesting if people killed others by driving them insane instead of just clicking until the sprite was horizontal. A chemist could inject the crew with enough drugs to get everybody addicted so that the sanity drain from withdrawal would kill them. Theoretically, you could kill someone by RCDing them into a dark room and letting darkness slowly drive them insane until they committed suicide or got devoured.
Bagil- Eats-Shoots-and-Leaves: Probably the botanist
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Sanity

Post by confused rock » #271402

For what purpose
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #271404

TG lovecraft now
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271408

I don't like it because its a typically unnecessary and trivialises the current hallucination effects we have which are harmless into being lethal unless you literally run around with a embroided hat of flowers in bright lights all the time. A juggling act to not die, when you currently can't starve from hunger, via a not very well explained medical condition, not to mention buffs (that and nobody LOOK at a ling, this isn't first person game where you're punished for passively observing a object) antagonists fairly so you're constantly popping happy pills or have a uncounterable attack on your system during certain rounds.

- Sounds like you ripped it directly from 'don't starve' or call of cuthulu, i see what you were trying to do.

Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #271413

it's not really happening
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271433

At least you thought through the "what does this add to the game" angle even if I'm not sure the idea is so great

there's a lot of ideas posted here that don't really add anything if at all to how the game is played
Limey wrote:its too late.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #271441

I think this is an interesting concept but i dont know that it would fit with this game. At the very least it would provide a concrete incentive to at least attempt to act like a normal person rather than pump yourself with nutriment and run around in a blood soaked grey jumpsuit and gasmask to hunt valids.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #271442

Actually I have a better idea, have a new check in place where anytime anyone says "ITS (ROUNDTYPE)" they instantly get 200 brain damage
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271449

Wyzack wrote:Actually I have a better idea, have a new check in place where anytime anyone says "ITS (ROUNDTYPE)" they instantly get 200 brain damage
i thought this was our job
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271460

Its not said what type of damage sanity would conflict to become 'devoured' (ambigious), so we're flying in the assumption its brain damaged and if you're going to get brain damaged over literally nothing harmful then id mark that up as not great.

Especially with how much advanced brain damage can limit your abilities to function and with further sanity problems, throw you into a death sprial of not being fit enough to resolve the issue (headbutting the door dividing you between a dark and a light room)

Spoiler:
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #271476

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Its not said what type of damage sanity would conflict to become 'devoured' (ambigious), so we're flying in the assumption its brain damaged and if you're going to get brain damaged over literally nothing harmful then id mark that up as not great.
> lose all sanity
> go to vorestation as a result
> get devoured
seems logical
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #271479

I'll give credit, its not a bad idea, and to be honest this suggestions seems to be the best variant on the 'sanity' suggestions we sometimes get.

Buuut, this kind of sanity system doesn't seem like it would go well with our version of SS13. Its the kind of system I would expect out of a Lovecraftian game.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #271486

Fund this.
Bring back papercult.

cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #271524

I'll only support this when half negative sanity lets you flip a weighted coin to either lose the negative sanity and gain some perk or gain a negative perk and max negative sanity kills you.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #271549

cedarbridge wrote:I'll only support this when half negative sanity lets you flip a weighted coin to either lose the negative sanity and gain some perk or gain a negative perk and max negative sanity kills you.
Gee I don't know where you got this from

oh wait I do, and I love it!
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #271602

Armhulen wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:I'll only support this when half negative sanity lets you flip a weighted coin to either lose the negative sanity and gain some perk or gain a negative perk and max negative sanity kills you.

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.
Last edited by cedarbridge on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #271605

cedarbridge wrote:
Armhulen wrote:

Remind yourself that overconfidence is a low and insidious killer.
Confidence surges as the enemy crumbles!
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #271757

always thought this was a super interesting mechanic in other games but never thought of putting it here
fund it, it could be its own damage type
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #271767

If it's botched i will legit quit the game because it will screw up literally so many systems as well as cause braindeads/afk people to die from ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

- "But aaaadmmiin my sanity level is below 25! im legally insane enough to valid that person because im CraaZy!!"

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271790

PKPenguin321 wrote:always thought this was a super interesting mechanic in other games but never thought of putting it here
fund it, it could be its own damage type
If it does happen please don't make the negative effects retarded, it would be so easy to mess up
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #271798

Make miners have resistance to sanity loss.

They fight and butcher stuff on the reg, and I'm pretty sure you'll go crazy at the third legion you kill.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #271826

D&B wrote:Make miners have resistance to sanity loss.

They fight and butcher stuff on the reg, and I'm pretty sure you'll go crazy at the third legion you kill.
Maybe have an implant for that?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #271830

Last time this was suggested, years ago, the general idea was that antagonists and station roles that oft come into contact with gore and unsettling things would have greater resistance to said effects.

So essentially The Captain, Head of Security, The Chief Medical Officer, Warden, Security Officers, Detective, Medical Doctors, Shaft Miners and Chaplains would have greater immunity to gore related negative effects than anyone else.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #271915

welcome to don't starve together.
now with laser guns and griefers.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #271987

hos should never be able to go insane.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #271990

Armhulen wrote:hos should never be able to go insane.
They'd have to start that way to pick that thankless job in the first place :honk:
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #272313

It seems redundant.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #272395

Make it so that if you spent enough time close to another player, you get a worse sanity hit when you see them die
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #273222

I posted an idea in the shitty ideas thread for a short of claustrophobia mechanic for maintenance tunnels. Basically being in maint for prolonged periods of time causes your character to start freaking out and setting things. It'd start off mild, maybe seeing a rat, a crate, or something that you normally wouldn't pay much attention to. The longer you stay though, the worse it gets. Your character might start seeing corpses, hearing voices, maybe even see traitors or xenos charging out of the dark to attack him. If it gets REALLY bad, your character goes into a full psychosis. You start seeing faces in the walls, spiders and insects crawling all over everything, and walls that just seem to come out of nowhere to block your path in addition to the other stuff.
Certain jobs and antags would be resistant or immune to the effects. Engineers and the clown would be immune because the former are trained to operate in such close environments and the latter because he's already fucking insaneof jolly and upbeat personality. Cultists would be immune because well, they've already been exposed to twisted mind rending cosmic horrors, what's a little claustrophobia to them? Strictly alien antags like abductors and changelings would also be immune because they're fucking mysterious space monsters.

The HoS would be resistant because his experience makes him harder to shake. Assistants would also be resistant because well, they're fucking space hobos and maint is their main domain.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273252

Extend immunity to atmos techs, obviously.
Maybe also extend resistance to supply crew, I don't want my crateslaves to go insane over checking the crusher.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273255

DemonFiren wrote:Extend immunity to atmos techs, obviously.
Maybe also extend resistance to supply crew, I don't want my crateslaves to go insane over checking the crusher.
Slopes
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #273257

you know what why don't we just make EVERYONE IMMUNE. then we'll ALL BE HAPPY.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273258

cedarbridge wrote:
Slopes
Lizards, due to being filthy tunnel crawlers, also deserve resistance.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #273263

Well you wouldn't instantly start hallucinating and shit the second you step into a maintenance corridor. It'd be a gradual thing that progressively gets worse but clears up once you leave maint. A quick trip to the crusher and back? Yeah you wouldn't experience anything. Longer around there a bit? You might see some mice, containers, or whispering that aren't really there. Not very disruptive but possibly a bit disorienting or confusing. If you spend a lot of time combing through maint then yeah, you're gonna see some freaky shit. If you decide to become a hermit and live in maint, you're probably going to see some really freaky shit like the faces in the walls and floors, spiders all over the place like you're tripping on benadryl, blood soaked tunnel clowns and xenos coming out of the darkness, and some other crazy shit.

And yeah by engineers I meant both station and atmos.
DemonFiren wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Slopes
Lizards, due to being filthy tunnel crawlers, also deserve resistance.
Liggers are overtly sensitive faggots so they should be even more vulnerable to the effects.