Sec Department special camera console

A place to record your ideas for the game.
DarkFNC
Byond Username: DarkFNC

Sec Department special camera console

Post by DarkFNC » #273808

So instead of the HOS wandering off into maint to get themselves killed, they could be useful and man this special camera console located in their office.

This console would basically offer the same type of view that the AI/blob/abductors currently have while playing, allowing them to see areas covered by cameras. If an extra piece of usefulness were to be added to this, it would be in the form of allowing the user to mark individuals to arrest while using the console or to whatever status the user deems necessary.

Key gameplay elements

-The console can be emagged to allow unauthorised personnel to use it without a card.

-A spare board for this computer exists in the secure board storage area near engineering / singularity weapons development site

- now we get sec officers who are actually willing to use the cameras

- status marking and the ability to access viewing upgrades in cameras could be locked behind a tech upgrade barrier so sci traitors could volunteer to take an upgrade into the HOS office

-would be a possible target for autisticate infiltrators during OPS as a second pair of what are essentially AI eyes could be roaming the station

EDIT: AI eyes meaning an all seeing individual with the ability to scream loudly over comms when they see a red suit outside, not the individual who can then go on to bolt most exterior air locks

Please post ideas / shitposting below
Last edited by DarkFNC on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Sec Department special camera console

Post by DemonFiren » #273811

Bad, already existed, made Sec way too powerful.

Allegedly.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DarkFNC

Post by DarkFNC » #273813

DemonFiren wrote:Bad, already existed, made Sec way too powerful.

Allegedly.
Do you think there is a possibility of finding an inbetween? The current camera consoles suffer from extreme neglect. I've only seen someone manning it once or twice, let alone the one time I myself used it to watch permabrig.
DarkFNC

Post by DarkFNC » #273815

Maybe disable the ability to examine individuals and see their names while using the console, even if they aren't wearing a mask?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273839

DemonFiren wrote:Bad, already existed, made Sec way too powerful.

Allegedly.
I thought the only console sec ever got was the one that merely jumped between cameras but didn't free float. The only problem that had was it was way too easy to sus out a malf AI by just camera camping the borgs all shift.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273842

Make borg cams inaccessible to sec when?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273843

It wasn't always bad. You could use the borg as a reliable way to scout areas where humans can't safely go or to accompany sec officers to places. Could even supervise their expeditions to lavaland to find lost miners that way.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273844

Could make console access a toggle for borgs.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #273851

DemonFiren wrote:Could make console access a toggle for borgs.
You can disable a borg's camera via its wires interface.

The camera console's interface could indeed be improved. You could go the way Xhuis did with his remote APC console: Give all the cameras on the list, but allow searches and filtering. This would make using the console better without replacing the AI with the Warden.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273854

I meant: whether or not a borg's camera can be viewed over console should be up to the borg.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
DarkFNC

Post by DarkFNC » #273866

Gun Hog wrote: You can disable a borg's camera via its wires interface.

The camera console's interface could indeed be improved. You could go the way Xhuis did with his remote APC console: Give all the cameras on the list, but allow searches and filtering. This would make using the console better without replacing the AI with the Warden.
That would make a much better camera console (if this proposed change isn't realised, and would make the hours of scrolling I have to do go away)no doubt, but in no way would the user of this console be able to manipulate objects or systems through the console (save the possibility of setting people to arrest).

Oh hey, are these emojis!? :honkman: :revolver:
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #273886

Personally I like the idea because security cameras as they are now kind of suck. First you gotta pull up a menu, try to figure out which camera you want, and then when do get the one you want you have to wait out several seconds of lag until your view changes. Kind of makes it shitty for tracking people.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #273923

No.
Even as a security player I can say this is too overpowered.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #273926

The only improvement I would suggest to the security cameras is to do what some maps do and labal the camera first by the department it is in, followed by where it is looking.

So instead of Robotics being under 'R', it would be 'Science - Robotics' or something akin. This would make it much easier to go through a department in the list instead of having to remember the area name and look for it in a giant jumble.

I would do this but the feature freeze is on so blergh.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #273929

cedarbridge wrote:I thought the only console sec ever got was the one that merely jumped between cameras but didn't free float.
It was free float AI eye. I remember sitting whole shift in front of the camera and reporting crime, coordinating officers and and giving them warning and guidance. It was broken like a motherfucker.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #273938

How about the ability to AI-track anyone with suit sensors on?
Oh wait, no, Medical is gonna throw a fucking fit.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #273940

Lumbermancer wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:I thought the only console sec ever got was the one that merely jumped between cameras but didn't free float.
It was free float AI eye. I remember sitting whole shift in front of the camera and reporting crime, coordinating officers and and giving them warning and guidance. It was broken like a motherfucker.
Yeah, I don't know how something like that got merged when we couldn't even get security chest cameras on sec jumpsuits merged
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #273942

I mean we did have helmet cams for a while and they were understandably overpowered as well
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #274127

Wyzack wrote:I mean we did have helmet cams for a while and they were understandably overpowered as well
yeah, me and steelpoint did this, OP as heck.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #274129

More like I came up with the concept and initial code before I realised it was well beyond my capabilities.

The idea was sound in theory but it turned out to be way too powerful of a feature when used by a half competent Warden/HoS/AI.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #274131

Steelpoint wrote:More like I came up with the concept and initial code before I realised it was well beyond my capabilities.
Yes... hence "Me and steelpoint"...
私は完璧
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #274139

Remie Richards wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:More like I came up with the concept and initial code before I realised it was well beyond my capabilities.
Yes... hence "Me and steelpoint"...
That sad feeling when both Steelpoint and RR do not mention you at all... :(
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/8439
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #274141

2 years is a long time ago.
I forget things.
私は完璧
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #274279

I removed this
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #274290

This sounds retardedly overpowered, but regardless if the AI is being a good boy they'll frequently keep sec posted on potential sec incidents.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #274300

As a security player, this would be overpowered. And the HoS is not meant to sit in his office, he leads from the front. This is more of the warden's job
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #274378

>everyone agreeing on something that was already agreed to be OP two years ago and has not been in the game for two years
One Seven One
Byond Username: OneSevenOne

Post by One Seven One » #274406

I'm glad we're all agreeing that we're in agreement.

The closest you'll get is replacing your Warden with an AI.
Please don't do this
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #274410

Wyzack wrote:I mean we did have helmet cams for a while and they were understandably overpowered as well

I had no ideal helmet cames were a thing, I'd like to have them back. Have it special ordered from cargo and restrict the view to the facing direction of the wearer with a dissipating view after 3 tiles.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #274430

srifenbyxp wrote:

I had no ideal helmet cames were a thing, I'd like to have them back. Have it special ordered from cargo and restrict the view to the facing direction of the wearer with a dissipating view after 3 tiles.
cant restrict the directions, its too costly to do vision cones + everything else we do.
私は完璧