Cross-Server ERT

A place to record your ideas for the game.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Cross-Server ERT

Post by WarbossLincoln » #274159

I had an idea for cross server erts. This would be where if an ERT is called on Sybil, admins could opt to pull from ghosts on Bagil, and vice versa.

I think the benefit would be the ERT entering a station with no idea what's going on. They don't know who to trust, etc. It's kind of lame when an ERT gears up thinking "welp, SpaceMan1 and SpaceMan2 are lings. Spaceman3 is a traitor. And Spacemen 4-6 were eaten by the ling so kill on sight". I know it's OOC knowledge they shouldn't be using but there's no way to completely separate yourself from it.

I don't think that's really a huge problem most of the time but I think this might still be a neat idea. Instead of knowing it's revs and killing everyone without an implant the ERT would have to figure out what's going on and make the best of it.
--Crocodillo

kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Cross-Server ERT

Post by kevinz000 » #274181

This isn't going to help if someone wanted to meta. They can just stay connected to both.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #274206

kevinz000 wrote:This isn't going to help if someone wanted to meta. They can just stay connected to both.
Yeah but realistically players are rarely that autistic
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #274208

Armhulen wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:This isn't going to help if someone wanted to meta. They can just stay connected to both.
Nice meme
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #274214

kevinz000 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Nice meme
The forums have the most autistic people save klara and I don't think anyone here would do that.
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #274217

Well, the idea was mostly about the experience. I didn't mean meta in that they're spying on the round while playing as an ERT, I meant that they had been watching the game as ghosts and then got to be an ERT. So just by being dead they already know the round type and what's going on. It's less of an idea to stop metagamers and more of an idea to allow an ERT to have less knowledge of the round so it could be more interesting for them. I think most players aren't going to go out of their way to meta an ERT.
--Crocodillo

John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #274231

>not playing on both servers at the same time as the same charcter

pfft fucking peasants
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #274238

John_Oxford wrote:>not playing on both servers at the same time as the same charcter

pfft fucking peasants
OXFORD DOESNT COUNT
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #274271

Yes
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #274315

ckey + cid + IP check. Sure, you can get around it using an alt on a laptop, connected to the neighbor's unsecured wifi, or more easily with a metafriend, but that requires friends/effort, and our players are lazy (except for the powergamers).
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #274404

I wish you the best of luck in your implementation.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #274411

Yeah, as long as we can avoid metashittery this solves the only major problem I have with ERT. The ghosts that take ERT slots generally are the sort that were sitting around watching the antags run around doing antag things and might even have been a victim. Obviously the RP rule stands that you can't take past life into next life, but that's a lot of mental gymnastics to jump through.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #274415

Not to mention the fact that a couple turbo autists might dual log for hours in an attempt to metagame as an ert does not at all invalidate the idea when literally anyone can do it now
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #274572

Wyzack wrote:Not to mention the fact that a couple turbo autists might dual log for hours in an attempt to metagame as an ert does not at all invalidate the idea when literally anyone can do it now
Anyone doing that is unstoppable with anything short of a ban if it goes too far though.
--Crocodillo

Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #274580

But i mean really at the end of the day who even gives a shit? ERTs come up so rarely that the only way this would be possible is to ghost on both servers and constantly switch between the two windows scanning for threats at all times so that you can have a SLIGHT EDGE as an ERT should one get called and should you be the one to win the roll over any given large span of hours. This is in contrast to right now where you have a pretty high chance of grabbing a salty ghost who has been stalking his killer.

I just think, unless i am missing something, that the minuscule potential for grief use is so absurdly narrow compared to right now that it is not even worth considering
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #275518

the miniscule use of the ERT already precludes bothering to code all this extra effort to switch people across servers and the communication protocol to trigger alerts/gather ckeys