Chemistry reinforcement on box

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Chemistry reinforcement on box

Post by Dax Dupont » #275635

Compared to meta, box chemistry is very unprotected.
It's hella easy to break in, either by all the regular walls or the chemistry fridge.
Meta has shutters that mostly keeps the greytide out and is less exposed on the public sides, way harder to break in.

This is a bit :salt: but almost every round someone breaks in and tries to steal dispensers, especially botanists since that seems the new meta. Nobody bothers asking for stuff anymore, they literally just break in and steal the entire dispenser even when there's two chemists or chemist and cmos doing chemistry. Security almost never bothers to go grab it back and it just leads to escalation.

Rwalls and shutters would be grand, because this is just getting ridiculous.
Also I guess IC it makes sense too because 1. drugs 2. thermite being dangerous.
Feel free to move it if it's better in mapping, I wasn't sure what forum would be best because that one seems less suggest-y.

Other more code based options would be making them longer to unwrench since it literally takes a second, same with the smartfridge.
Takes about 30 seconds to break in and nab a chem dispenser and get out.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Re: Chemistry reinforcement on box

Post by kevinz000 » #275701

>leads to escalation
If someone tries to steal my dispensers they're going to be in for a bad, bad time.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #275708

hugbox
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275725

The botanists need it more than you do
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #275743

Lazengann wrote:The botanists need it more than you do
The people who make meme plants need it more than the people whose job is to use the damn thing?!

Give me a break, reinforce Chemistry.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275744

TrustyGun wrote:
Lazengann wrote:The botanists need it more than you do
The people who make meme plants need it more than the people whose job is to use the damn thing?!
Yeah. Botanists use more chemicals. Chemistry has two dispensers anyway.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #275745

Some forward facing shutters would not be the worst thing. You could still break in from the south entrance or wield in via the normal walls.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #275747

They have two dispensers so two chemists can work fluidly. Two chemists cant work off one.

They arent meant to be stolen by the botanists.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275748

TrustyGun wrote:They have two dispensers so two chemists can work fluidly. Two chemists cant work off one.

I'm sorry I slowed you down from making your morphine syringe gun and carpet grenades so I could mass produce plants that heal every damage type and let you survive space walks with no negative side effects. Potency is capped on the DNA manipulator and science rarely upgrades it to maximum so I'm going to need a shitload of saltpetre if I want any actually potent plants.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #275749

Lazengann wrote:
TrustyGun wrote:They have two dispensers so two chemists can work fluidly. Two chemists cant work off one.

I'm sorry I slowed you down from making your morphine syringe gun and carpet grenades so I could mass produce plants that heal every damage type and let you survive space walks with no negative side effects. Potency is capped on the DNA manipulator and science rarely upgrades it to maximum so I'm going to need a shitload of saltpetre if I want any actually potent plants.
If i see you stealing the dispencer, even if im not a chemist, and there are chemists there I will nuke your department
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275750

calzilla1 wrote:
Lazengann wrote:

If i see you stealing the dispencer, even if im not a chemist, and there are chemists there I will nuke your department
Bring it on

I don't actually steal it if there are two living chemists though.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #275759

Lazengann wrote:

1. Botany never uses them other than to be shitters. Sometimes they do make Gaia for the general public yes. But most of the time it's explosive tomatoes.
2. Chemists don't use morphine, where did you get that idea.
3. Even if there's no 2 chemists, don't forget that good CMOs do chemistry too and that chemists can join 3-4 minutes after round start too.

Why don't you get rnd to make you one or make blumpkins like you're supposed to before you end up getting clf3'd.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275770

AdAstraPerAspera wrote:1. Botany never uses them other than to be imperfect people playing an imperfect game. Sometimes they do make Gaia for the general public yes. But most of the time it's explosive tomatoes.
2. Chemists don't use morphine, where did you get that idea.
3. Even if there's no 2 chemists, don't forget that good CMOs do chemistry too and that chemists can join 3-4 minutes after round start too.

Why don't you get rnd to make you one or make blumpkins like you're supposed to before you end up getting clf3'd.
Gaia sucks by itself, you're supposed to extract the earthsblood and stick it in a plant that also makes mannitol to avoid the brain damage. If a botanist is just making bluespace bananas and glowshrooms and ignoring requests to grief the crew they should get bwoinked or spaced imo.

That being said, if I need 200 saltpetre and the chemist only gives me 30 units at a time and wants me to keep coming back after I've used it, yeah I'm stealing the spare dispenser when he fucks off. If there's a chemist that's unable to do his job because I have a dispenser(this is rare, one of the chemists usually fucks off because he didn't roll antag or whatever) then they'll get it back if they let me know.

Good luck getting R&D to make one or upgrade the DNA manipulator fully before the shuttle comes
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275773

Also if they added plants that produced oxygen and nitrogen or even just straight saltpetre I'd never steal it in the first place.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #275796

use mutagen plants
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275807

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:use mutagen plants
RNG is not fun or convenient
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #275810

Retard botanists are a pretty good reason to move to reinforced chemistry but chem in general is (in my experience) the most tided against department. Clown/mime has to smash up the place for lube/thermite because clowns and mimes don't entertain they "prank" and powergame silently. Botanists have take to just stealing whole dispensers (if you do this while I'm running medbay I would feel vindicated spacing you if sec doesn't want you) because waiting a few seconds in line is apparently the greatest of tortures. There's always that one or two assistant's who want to get hammered on whatever retard pill you put out for them and they're willing to break in if you don't make them.

Chem is defensible but it still only takes about 10 seconds with a wrench to get in and make off with a dispenser.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275826

cedarbridge wrote:Retard botanists are a pretty good reason to move to reinforced chemistry but chem in general is (in my experience) the most tided against department. Clown/mime has to smash up the place for lube/thermite because clowns and mimes don't entertain they "prank" and powergame silently. Botanists have take to just stealing whole dispensers (if you do this while I'm running medbay I would feel vindicated spacing you if sec doesn't want you) because waiting a few seconds in line is apparently the greatest of tortures. There's always that one or two assistant's who want to get hammered on whatever retard pill you put out for them and they're willing to break in if you don't make them.

Chem is defensible but it still only takes about 10 seconds with a wrench to get in and make off with a dispenser.
If you leave Chemistry long enough for someone to get the dispenser you deserve to lose it
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #275832

Lazengann wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Retard botanists are a pretty good reason to move to reinforced chemistry but chem in general is (in my experience) the most tided against department. Clown/mime has to smash up the place for lube/thermite because clowns and mimes don't entertain they "prank" and powergame silently. Botanists have take to just stealing whole dispensers (if you do this while I'm running medbay I would feel vindicated spacing you if sec doesn't want you) because waiting a few seconds in line is apparently the greatest of tortures. There's always that one or two assistant's who want to get hammered on whatever retard pill you put out for them and they're willing to break in if you don't make them.

If you leave Chemistry long enough for someone to get the dispenser you deserve to lose it
t. Greentide
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275835

cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:

t. Greentide
I am an innocent victim of coding induced circumstances
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #275839

Lazengann wrote:I'm entitled to other people's shit for no other reason than because I want it
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275853

Screemonster wrote:
Lazengann wrote:I'm entitled to other people's shit for no other reason than because I want it
I want it and also I'm in Botany
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275883

>job that has windows in order to provide the crew with chemicals
>has a two way storage the let people take chems as needed
>job that is literally designed to create and share chemicals
>"no fuck you your job is useless give me the dispenser you're not allowed to play the game"

??? Just fucking ask the chemists to create chemicals for you as intended, breaking in and stealing the dispenser is just dumb

Why even bother playing a multiplayer game focused on player interaction if you're going to silently break in and steal shit
Limey wrote:its too late.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275912

I want to have fun NOW
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275919

why do I even reply to posts
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #275921

Qbopper wrote:why do I even reply to posts
Because you have no life
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275923

Because you think having to beg a chemist to click 3 times a dozen times per round is fun and a good player interaction
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275929

calzilla1 wrote:
Because you have no life
if you're going to get pissy with me in a thread at least make it about the posts I've made in that thread

on topic: I think it couldn't hurt to help box chem be at least a little more secure, considering how obnoxiously common it is for people to break in at round start

like, the effort you go through to break in withing a minute of the round starting could be used asking "hey can you make me some mutagen/etc. and keep making some beakers when you get the chance", especially since you're also gambling that no one will retaliate when you break in and steal a dispenser
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #275941

Your mistake is assuming you'll have a chemist that will make you enough chemicals more than 1 out of 6 rounds
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #275956

Lazengann wrote:Your mistake is assuming you'll have a chemist that will make you enough chemicals more than 1 out of 6 rounds
maybe the chemists don't like to help botanists because botanists are massive pricks half the time about chems

vicious cycle etc
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #275995

Qbopper wrote:
Lazengann wrote:Your mistake is assuming you'll have a chemist that will make you enough chemicals more than 1 out of 6 rounds
maybe the chemists don't like to help botanists because botanists are massive pricks half the time about chems

vicious cycle etc
They don't even bother to ask anymore.
Last time a botanist asked I made sure to keep 300u of salt peter in the chemfridge.
I used to do the same with mutagen but people keep injecting it in the food, but I generally prepare some and keep it in a spare chembag.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #275997

We let robotics, R&D and the fucking chef shutter slam you for climbing on counters to try to get in when you aren't wanted. Chem should get at least that much protection

Botanists acting like they're entitled to a constant stream of mutagen to the point of stealing a chem dispenser at roundstart should certainly not be upset when cargo steals their seed vendor and sells their seeds back to them.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #276011

Lazengann wrote:
Because you think having to beg a chemist to click 3 times a dozen times per round is fun and a good player interaction

So are we allowed to space guys like this on sight?
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276014

cedarbridge wrote:Botanists acting like they're entitled to a constant stream of mutagen
God forbid someone wants the chemists to do their job
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276018

Lazengann wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Botanists acting like they're entitled to a constant stream of mutagen
God forbid someone wants the chemists to do their job
See, this is what you haven't understood over the course of several threads now. Chemistry's job is not exclusively to provide you memefuel. You have dozens of things you could be doing in botany that aren't powergaming your way to turbo melons and minibomb tomatoes. There are other people and other departments on the station that are not botany and it turns out most of them are more essential to the function of the station than botany is. If you have to wait a couple minutes for mutagen, tough.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276020

So anyway there's no real reason to reinforce Chemistry
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #276021

Lazengann has this strange idea that because the stupid DNA analyzer was a brokenly good way to game botany easily when he started playing the game that he deserves that same level of instant gratification no matter what despite the fact that it was nerfed for this reason
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #276026

God forbid chemistry doesn't produce only mutagen
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276029

Wyzack wrote:Lazengann has this strange idea that because the stupid DNA analyzer was a brokenly good way to game botany easily when he started playing the game that he deserves that same level of instant gratification no matter what despite the fact that it was nerfed for this reason
I started playing literal years ago
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #276030

Daily reminder botanists stealing the chem dispensers are breaking the NAP and you can acid bomb botany until they give it back :pigman:
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276035

iamgoofball wrote:God forbid chemistry doesn't produce only mutagen
seriously holy shit is waiting 30 seconds for them to finish what they're doing to give you memefuel to flood the station with annoying shit that they probably don't want you to grow anyways
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276040

Qbopper wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:God forbid chemistry doesn't produce only mutagen
seriously holy shit is waiting 30 seconds for them to finish what they're doing to give you memefuel to flood the station with annoying shit that they probably don't want you to grow anyways
I don't grow dumb shit I just make medbay virtually obsolete with my healing apples
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276042

then you're in the minority of botanists, and that's not really the point of the discussion anyways
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #276044

Botanists be like:

--Crocodillo

iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #276045

I'm going to reinforce chemistry today
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #276047

if a botanist steals my dispenser am I allowed to inject its entire contents into them when I take it back

edit: make chem dispensers inject all dispensed reagents into anyone who tries to use them if the dispenser is currently in botany :honk:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #276050

Screemonster wrote:if a botanist steals my dispenser am I allowed to inject its entire contents into them when I take it back

edit: make chem dispensers inject all dispensed reagents into anyone who tries to use them if the dispenser is currently in botany :honk:
Yes
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #276051

is that a yes to the question or a yes to the suggestion
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276055

iamgoofball wrote:I'm going to reinforce chemistry today