Chemistry reinforcement on box

A place to record your ideas for the game.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Chemistry reinforcement on box

Post by iamgoofball » #276059

Bottom post of the previous page:

who am i
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276060

If you actually want to reinforce it though all you have to do is put the fridge on a wall or replace the glass table behind it with a reinforced one. Right now I just move the fridge and deconstruct the table and I'm out of there with the prize in like six seconds.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #276074

Isn't constantly smashing into a department just to steal shit round after round considered being a massive dick?
As in a bannable offense?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #276078

Jacough wrote:Isn't constantly smashing into a department just to steal shit round after round considered being a massive dick?
As in a bannable offense?
Why yes, yes it is...

hmm....
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #276093

Defend your own department, casual. You're fucking chemistry, throw acid in their faces like an arab wife and you'll be fine.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #276112

Lazengann wrote:If you actually want to reinforce it though all you have to do is put the fridge on a wall or replace the glass table behind it with a reinforced one. Right now I just move the fridge and deconstruct the table and I'm out of there with the prize in like six seconds.
People like Obsolence often tear out the walls instead, so walls need to be reinforced.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276124

I suck at this game coders please help!!
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276129

Lazengann wrote:I suck at this game coders please help!!
Limey wrote:its too late.
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #276137

ShadowDimentio wrote:Defend your own department, casual. You're fucking chemistry, throw acid in their faces like an arab wife and you'll be fine.
> Guy who complained about chasms because he kept dying from falling in holes calling other people casuals

Laughinganimegirls.jpg
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276146

Qbopper wrote:
strawman
No strawman here, there are two possible scenarios that led to this thread: First, they're taking a dispenser while you're in chemistry. If you don't stop them, you suck because they can't even retaliate without a bwoink for banbaiting. Second, they're taking it while you're not in chemistry. If you're leaving chemistry unoccupied you suck, the clown needs his space lube.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #276148

Box of hugs

Botanists who steal the thingy do suck though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276172

PKPenguin321 wrote:Box of hugs
Those are in the med vendor, not chem.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276189

Lazengann wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
strawman
No strawman here, there are two possible scenarios that led to this thread: First, they're taking a dispenser while you're in chemistry. If you don't stop them, you suck because they can't even retaliate without a bwoink for banbaiting. Second, they're taking it while you're not in chemistry. If you're leaving chemistry unoccupied you suck, the clown needs his space lube.
fair enough, but it's hard to take you seriously when your original post is like that
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276193

Lazengann wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
strawman
>if you ever leave your department for any reason its contents are mine
lolno
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276194

cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
strawman
lolno
you're not wrong but let's be real what reason do chemists have to leave the chemistry department beyond putting stuff in cryo mix
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276198

Qbopper wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
Lazengann wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
strawman
lolno
you're not wrong but let's be real what reason do chemists have to leave the chemistry department beyond putting stuff in cryo mix
Grenade casings, deliveries, specialized beakers/casings from R&D.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276201

I rarely see those things, but I'll concede the point

I mainly meant "why are you leaving chemistry at roundstart" though
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276243

Qbopper wrote:I rarely see those things, but I'll concede the point

To flash the medbay staff and lynch the CMO, obviously.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #276246

On lowpop, probably to grab a medical belt and supplies from medical storage since chemists have the additional ID perms for it.
Personally I tend to stay till I at least get clonex/mannitol ready for cryo.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #276247

Jacough wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:Defend your own department, casual. You're fucking chemistry, throw acid in their faces like an arab wife and you'll be fine.
> Guy who complained about chasms because he kept dying from falling in holes calling other people casuals

Laughinganimegirls.jpg
Yeah man my eyes just need to git guud and start seeing black on black better. Asshole.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276255

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Jacough wrote:

Laughinganimegirls.jpg
Yeah man my eyes just need to git guud and start seeing black on black better. Asshole.
he's clearly trying to poke fun, there's no need to start flinging shit
AdAstraPerAspera wrote:

On lowpop, probably to grab a medical belt and supplies from medical storage since chemists have the additional ID perms for it.
Personally I tend to stay till I at least get clonex/mannitol ready for cryo.
That's reasonable, I'm mainly speaking towards the people who disappear from medbay for a good 5 minutes or something, it happens almost every time I'm in a medbay role and I don't know why
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276256

I swear that chasm that always spawns to the right of the clown ruins is invisible
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #276275

The title of this thread should be "Why Box is still the best mapped map compared to the rest"
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276280

Qbopper wrote:That's reasonable, I'm mainly speaking towards the people who disappear from medbay for a good 5 minutes or something, it happens almost every time I'm in a medbay role and I don't know why
Then you haven't trained yourself to the meta of "he rolled antag" yet. That's a good thing. Don't let it happen to you.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #276294

I'll just give the botanists a chemmaster so they don't have to steal it anymore then everyone'll be happy
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #276301

Cheridan wrote:I'll just give the botanists a chemmaster so they don't have to steal it anymore then everyone'll be happy
Please no, this interaction is fun, some conflict is good and being 100% self sufficent makes the game boring.
Botany already has the ability to make its own mutagen with blumpkins and glowshrooms and some work, so a chem dispenser is just redundant, and this is coming from someone who enjoys botany.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276309

cedarbridge wrote:
Qbopper wrote:That's reasonable, I'm mainly speaking towards the people who disappear from medbay for a good 5 minutes or something, it happens almost every time I'm in a medbay role and I don't know why
Then you haven't trained yourself to the meta of "he rolled antag" yet. That's a good thing. Don't let it happen to you.
It usually occurs to me but I just ignore it anyways

easier to RP "where the fuck were you you fucking useless shitstain"

also HALF THE TIME THEY AREN'T ANTAG
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276313

Dr_bee wrote:
Cheridan wrote:I'll just give the botanists a chemmaster so they don't have to steal it anymore then everyone'll be happy
Please no, this interaction is fun, some conflict is good and being 100% self sufficent makes the game boring.
Botany already has the ability to make its own mutagen with blumpkins and glowshrooms and some work, so a chem dispenser is just redundant, and this is coming from someone who enjoys botany.
Add that sometimes chem being able to tell botany to fuck off is ok and totally as within reason as cargo refusing to order something requested because they think the person ordering it will end up doing something stupid with it.

The bartender can tell you to get out of his bar because you've "had enough" and the chemist can see the shadowshrooms creeping up and say "you've had enough."
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #276335

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Jacough wrote:

Laughinganimegirls.jpg
Woah bro, my bad I didn't realize I was striking a massive nerve there. Didn't realize you were that sensitive about your skill level in a 2D spaceman simulator.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #276376

>botany used to be a chill job where you could never worry about plant stats and you'd be ok since you were mainly growing food for the chef and maybe some deathnettles or bananas on the side

>now it's GOTTA HAVE MUTAGEN GOTTA GET PLANT-BASED WMDS NOW!!!
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276421

imblyings wrote:>botany used to be a chill job where you could never worry about plant stats and you'd be ok since you were mainly growing food for the chef and maybe some deathnettles or bananas on the side

That's what I'm saying. What happened to that?
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276423

The job was made more fun
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #276425

cedarbridge wrote:
imblyings wrote:>botany used to be a chill job where you could never worry about plant stats and you'd be ok since you were mainly growing food for the chef and maybe some deathnettles or bananas on the side

That's what I'm saying. What happened to that?
It can still be that, if you focus on making helpful plants or making chem-farms with bees for medbay, or the occasional toy plant like laughter smoke melons.

but not to derail the thread any further, I have a related topic.

The damn privacy shutters on meta and delta station. Nothing is more annoying than having RnD or chem wall itself off from the rest of the station and refuse to hand out goodies when requested. The damn shutters prevent even YELLING at people as they cant hear through them, and they are a pain in the ass to destroy. In a game about player interaction, these "fuck you I got mine" shutters serve no place, and if you want to stop people from breaking into your department, you have a departmental security officer right freaking there.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #276426

>you have a departmental officer

hehe
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #276431

imblyings wrote:>you have a departmental officer

hehe
Yup, they never do shit, nor do they stick around in medbay.
Also on low pop they don't exist generally.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #276434

The departmental security you will see is cargo and maybe science. No one does medical or engineering
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276488

Chemistry vendors made unwrenchable but also significantly stronger/explosion proof, use a spray bottle to ward off looters.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276588

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Chemistry vendors made unwrenchable but also significantly stronger/explosion proof, use a spray bottle to ward off looters.
A wall and shutters solves this just fine without snowflaking the fridge.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276593

Cut the power to chemistry after mapping out the wiring and crowbar the shutter up. Shutters aren't scary at all.

These people are demented, they have been noted to cut through R-walls to get into there, and probe the perimeter for weak spots.

Spoiler:
Jacough

Post by Jacough » #276615

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Cut the power to chemistry after mapping out the wiring and crowbar the shutter up. Shutters aren't scary at all.

These people are demented, they have been noted to cut through R-walls to get into there, and probe the perimeter for weak spots.
Cutting through R-walls just gives you more time to prepare a nasty surprise for them.

Me personally, I don't spend rounds as chemists doing nothing but stock piling deadly chems all round. I usually start with healing chems, cryo mix, unstable mutagen for the virologist and botanists, and acid for R&D before I start making the fun stuff. Having to blow off all that stuff which, you know, I'm supposed to be making in the first place as a chemist to stock pile a shit ton of weaponized chems from the very start of the round seems kind of shit. A way to at least slow people trying to break in down so I can quickly whip up something defensive real quick or possibly give security time to respond before it's too late would be nice.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #276621

It takes five seconds to make a spray bottle of acid. You have no excuse if you can't do that, at least.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #276622

Botanists: Consider PDA'ing the RD for a chem dispenser and upgrades. While you are at it, PDA both chemists for mutagen. No, you will not always get mutagen, Science might not get you a chem dispenser or upgrades (there are lots of good reasons for this, such as antags, no one doing R&D, too many requests, greyscum infestation, etc), at which time you may become more aggressive, just do not ahelp when you get dunked or thrown out.

Chemistry players: Yes, I do support shutters and a bit more security, because people do LOVE to try and loot chem. That being said, try to communicate with the thieves and find out if they would be satisfied if you made them a mix. From experience, I know that a determined thief will not be deterred by shutters, airlocks, or r-walls. But, if you catch him in the act and ask what he wants (after you throw him out), he might not bother you again if you can supply it.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #276624

Gun Hog wrote:Botanists: Consider PDA'ing the RD for a chem dispenser and upgrades. While you are at it, PDA both chemists for mutagen. No, you will not always get mutagen, Science might not get you a chem dispenser or upgrades (there are lots of good reasons for this, such as antags, no one doing R&D, too many requests, greyscum infestation, etc), at which time you may become more aggressive, just do not ahelp when you get dunked or thrown out.
This is going to end up unsatisfactory because the feeling is they must start the mutation RNG pinwheel as close to roundstart as possible.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276627

Just hit the botanists with a fire extinguisher, they're not allowed to hit you back.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #276649

ShadowDimentio wrote:It takes five seconds to make a spray bottle of acid. You have no excuse if you can't do that, at least.
5 units of sulfanol and a syringe gun works wonders. nothing quite like handing out free naps.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #276704

Lazengann wrote:The job was made more fun
It's very weird that people can't seem to enjoy a job anymore unless they have some large effect on the round, even for seemingly very laid back jobs [like botany]. It's like everyone is arms racing to be the biggest protagonist yet don't want to go security where they can just directly fight with tools that are for being the protagonist.

The job was much more enjoyable when I could be a peaceful gardener and the extent of my power was deathnettle and the Angel mushroom. Now it seems like botany/seed vaulter powergamers have found the equivalent to Duke's and either be medbay+ or a weapons factory. It's just stupid at this point, really, and it's a shame because I used to play botany exclusively due to the laid back nature of being one.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276707

Yeah, I liked how it was a job that was still providing a use to the station via food/weed/whatever, and you got to interact with people thanks to the prominent position of the department, but it was still very relaxed and you could fuck up without screwing things up for others, which was nice for new players imo

you could argue that new botany still works this way, but I don't know if I could agree with that
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #276714

You can still kick your feet up and just grow shit for the chef and get that exciting "I put tomatoes in the fridge" "thanks" interaction
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #276717

Snarky "you're having fun doing something that I don't find fun? haha ok kiddo" style comments are not helping you here
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #276724

Lazengann wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:God forbid chemistry doesn't produce only mutagen
seriously holy shit is waiting 30 seconds for them to finish what they're doing to give you memefuel to flood the station with annoying shit that they probably don't want you to grow anyways
I don't grow dumb shit I just make medbay virtually obsolete with my healing apples
How the fuck would you feel if a chef or chemist broke into botany roundstart because they needed plants and didn't want to wait for you to grow them or even ask, because 'botanists never do their job anyways'?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #276735

Its no better when after 10 minutes of digging minerals miners do the same thing to science but instead break in usually taking the minerals with them and forcing the scientists to stop what they are doing immediately as to make boss killing weapons when evidently they just digged all those minerals before relatively unaided and have plenty of tools in the mining vendor? (or somehow steal boards to build R&D in cargo) lots of workspace invaders, its a universal problem.
Cherrypone wrote:
Lazengann wrote:
Qbopper wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:God forbid chemistry doesn't produce only mutagen
seriously holy shit is waiting 30 seconds for them to finish what they're doing to give you memefuel to flood the station with annoying shit that they probably don't want you to grow anyways
I don't grow dumb shit I just make medbay virtually obsolete with my healing apples
How the fuck would you feel if a chef or chemist broke into botany roundstart because they needed plants and didn't want to wait for you to grow them or even ask, because 'botanists never do their job anyways'?
"How the fuck would you feel if a greyshirt broke into Engineering roundstart because they needed gloves & mats and didn't want to wait for you to start building shit or ask because engineers never do their job anyway?"

Spoiler: