[POLL]Should the Assistant role have reduced Antag status?

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should the Assistant role be ineligible or less eligible for Antag roles?

No, Assistants should not be eligible for Antag roles.
5%
5%
5%
Yes, Assistants should have a significantly decreased eligibility chance for Antag roles.
13%
Yes, Assistants should have a significantly decreased eligibility chance for Antag roles.
13%
13%
Assistants are fine as they are.
16%
16%
16%
Abstain.
No votes
Abstain.
No votes
Abstain.
No votes

Total votes: 312

Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: [POLL]Should the Assistant role have reduced Antag statu

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24447

Bottom post of the previous page:

bandit wrote:If I disconnect in the middle of setting up the singularity or being a security officer or the AI, that's bad news for everyone else. (A few rounds ago I was lagging like fuck as AI, and it ended up making the captain think I was rogue and bad stuff happen.) If I disconnect in the middle of antagging, then it really only screws me over.
Okay, can you clarify this part please? I really didn't get it. Are you saying that you cannot play anything but assistant because you can disconnect or what?
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24449

Kelenius wrote:you'll be surrounded by a fuckton of incompetent players
Kelenius wrote:A lot of experienced players don't want to get real jobs
Oh jee, I wonder if those are connected somehow?

And could you stop implying that you'll never play antag? MisterPerson suggested a pretty good way of doing it, with players who have jobs getting preference over those who play assistant, so everyone will be antags, however players with jobs will get preference.

I mean, as a silicon player, you deal with less antag already, how is that a problem for you?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #24450

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
bandit wrote:If I disconnect in the middle of setting up the singularity or being a security officer or the AI, that's bad news for everyone else. (A few rounds ago I was lagging like fuck as AI, and it ended up making the captain think I was rogue and bad stuff happen.) If I disconnect in the middle of antagging, then it really only screws me over.
Okay, can you clarify this part please? I really didn't get it. Are you saying that you cannot play anything but assistant because you can disconnect or what?
My internet connection is a piece of shit, and a lot of times I'll lag and/or disconnect randomly (actually, it's down right now and I'm typing this from phone tethering, fun times.) This is a large part of the reason why I rarely play heads of staff, because disconnecting without warning is bannable. But even when it's not bannable it can be dickish to other players. Nothing sucks more to go to the chemist because you need, say, alkysine and find the chemist braindead. Or to have a gaping hull breach and engineers not respond. Or to be in crit outside medbay when the doctor has fucked off to the dorm. Or to be a braindead security officer who quickly gets looted by shitlers. Et cetera. If you're an assistant nobody gives a shit if you're braindead or if you disconnect. It doesn't fuck up anyone else's round. The same can be said of jobs that get boring. Most jobs get boring and/or tedious after several repetitions. This is just fact. The thing is, for many jobs, even if you're bored, you're inconveniencing the crew by not slogging through the boredom. Assistant doesn't have that.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #24452

Steelpoint wrote:An Assistant Antag is essentially a Assistant that can legally grey tide.

Anyway, all you did was further reinforce the point that Assistants contribute very little to the round and that their main call to arms is their chance of being selected for antag status.

The proposed system simply shifts the antag rolls away from assistants and gives it to non-assistants. Assistants would get antag status if all eligible rolls are filled.
No, I didn't say assistants don't contribute anything, you did. I only said that even if that were true, it's still a bad idea to make them not to be able to roll for antag, because if they are antag they are definitely useful then.

>An Assistant Antag is essentially a Assistant that can legally grey tide.

Is there a problem with that?

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Kelenius wrote:you'll be surrounded by a fuckton of incompetent players
Kelenius wrote:A lot of experienced players don't want to get real jobs
Oh jee, I wonder if those are connected somehow?

And could you stop implying that you'll never play antag? MisterPerson suggested a pretty good way of doing it, with players who have jobs getting preference over those who play assistant, so everyone will be antags, however players with jobs will get preference.

I mean, as a silicon player, you deal with less antag already, how is that a problem for you?
Doing the same shit over and over is not fun. If the Tesla engine is added, I will play engineer again just to set it up and explore it, but until then I am not playing engineer because fuck setting up the singulo one more single time.

There is no reason for assistants being less eligible for antagonist than the other jobs. Zero. You want to fix greytiding, this is not the solution.
Last edited by Scott on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24453

Well, you guys said it yourself - jobs can get boring. It's only appropriate that people who do them anyway for a round to actually go on to have a little bonus in terms of increased antag chances.

Look, guys, let's just agree on what we want assistant to be. Clearly assistant is a job for newcomers and people who want to relax. Reducing antag chances will hurt this definition of assistant in this many ways: 0.
bandit

Post by bandit » #24456

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Well, you guys said it yourself - jobs can get boring. It's only appropriate that people who do them anyway for a round to actually go on to have a little bonus in terms of increased antag chances.

Look, guys, let's just agree on what we want assistant to be. Clearly assistant is a job for newcomers and people who want to relax. Reducing antag chances will hurt this definition of assistant in this many ways: 0.
Assistant is for people who do not want responsibilities during their current round. This is completely separate from antag. Newbies can not enable antag chance, which solves that method entirely. So can people who want to relax.

As for graytiders, here is a novel idea: JUST FUCKING BAN THEM.

admin feedback pls
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #24462

Disconnecting as antag doesn't only hurt yourself. It also makes the round more boring for everyone else because there are fewer antags mixing things up. If you want to play a game without responsibility, you shouldn't have antag turned on.
tunderchief

Post by tunderchief » #24464

bandit wrote:
tunderchief wrote:The only people defending it are those who partake in the greytide and don't want the party to end.
Citation very fucking much needed. I'm defending it. Am I one of those people? Name names or shut up.
>implying you don't play as Fortune Ray
>implying I don't see you breaking into EVA and Tech Storage, being tased and cuffed for breaking into EVA or Tech Storage, or in the Brig for breaking into EVA or Tech Storage on a regular basis
>implying you don't greytide frequently

I've even checked post round to see if you're antag, and that's never the case when you do this shit. So yes, as a matter of fact, you are a pro-Assistant greytider, and one of the people I was referencing.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #24513

Implying you don't bomb the station occasionally. Why should you be more eligible to be antag if you act like an antag all the time?

If you want to fix greytiding, ban greytiders/make them valid.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #24516

Let's avoid bringing history into this. We're all shit for whatever reason. Doesn't change the fact that this change is stupid.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24517

It's not about greytiding. Greytiding sort of comes from many people playing assistants, but it's a derivative issue, it's not really related to this.

Like, you people yourself say that doing jobs is tedious and boring. Then tell me, why do you not want to reward people who do them, thus allowing you to play the game.

Let me put it this way. You want to do what you want, you want station to have power, not be burning in plasma or freezing from space, be relatively safe to walk around in, you want to be healed when injured and you want cool items when they are available. You just expect that others will do all that for you while you validhunt, loot maintenance, build autism fortress and roll for antags so you can go on murderboner.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #24518

Reward them for what, having fun in their own way? Are you playing this to be rewarded? You're not a special snowflake for setting up the singularity. If there's an AI and a cyborg, there will be power for certain, if the engineers decide not to do their job or just don't exist.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24524

Scott wrote:Reward them for what, having fun in their own way?
Kelenius wrote:A lot of experienced players don't want to get real jobs because it's tedious as fuck and annoying, because most of the time you'll be surrounded by a fuckton of incompetent players, and worse, you'll be relying on them.
bandit wrote:Most jobs get boring and/or tedious after several repetitions. This is just fact.
bandit wrote:This is just fact.
Oh, jee, I guess others don't agree with you.
Scott wrote:Are you playing this to be rewarded?
I don't see how this answers my question.
Scott wrote:You're not a special snowflake for setting up the singularity.
It's more than you ever do, apparently. It's like saying "oh you're not a special snowflake because you are a good shot" in first-person shooter. May be not, but certainly a better player than you are.
Scott wrote:If there's an AI and a cyborg, there will be power for certain, if the engineers decide not to do their job or just don't exist.
This just confirms everything I said earlier. Furthermore, cyborgs cannot physically set up collectors.

May be you haven't seen rounds where no power is set up, but I have. It's pretty terrible.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #24525

Okay son, you're so special because you set up the singulo.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #24528

The gist of it is that since most station personal contribute something tangible to the station's operation, they should be rewarded with a antag chance.

Since the assistant has no responsibilities, and more importantly they don't actually do anything to the station's benefit or operation, they should not have the same antag privilege as normal station roles. Or more effectively as earlier suggested that they are given second priority on antag roles after everyone else.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #24533

well the poll indicates people don't want it so it won't get in

i mean unless the /tg/ coders just slap it in anyway
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24534

43 for it, 42 against.

It's not like polls matter anyway though.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #24542

Scott wrote:Are you playing this to be rewarded?
Yes. It's called fun.
This isn't really an argument, it's you being belligerent under the guise of arguing.
Man_Shroom wrote:i mean unless the /tg/ coders just slap it in anyway
There's precedent enough.

For the record, I didn't vote.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #24548

Scott wrote:Okay son, you're so special because you set up the singulo.
It's a job that really nobody wants to do. It deserves some credit.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #24555

It is actively contributing to the station as a whole. Which you signing up to greyshirt sure isn't doing.
bandit

Post by bandit » #24557

tunderchief wrote:
bandit wrote:
tunderchief wrote:The only people defending it are those who partake in the greytide and don't want the party to end.
Citation very fucking much needed. I'm defending it. Am I one of those people? Name names or shut up.
>implying you don't play as Fortune Ray
>implying I don't see you breaking into EVA and Tech Storage, being tased and cuffed for breaking into EVA or Tech Storage, or in the Brig for breaking into EVA or Tech Storage on a regular basis
>implying you don't greytide frequently

I've even checked post round to see if you're antag, and that's never the case when you do this shit. So yes, as a matter of fact, you are a pro-Assistant greytider, and one of the people I was referencing.
The fuck? The only times I ever try to get into EVA it's to either take a sheet of metal or a mechanical toolbox from the foyer (i.e. the shit everyone always forgets is there and never uses), and I get the AI to let me in. The only times I break into Tech Storage it's when I'm an antag who wants to get into secure tech. I literally have no idea what you are talking about. Most of the time when I'm assistant I actually try to help other people, like dragging them to cloning or fixing lights or shit like that.

admin feedback pls
omnitricks

Post by omnitricks » #24588

Prepare yourselves for people that pick actual jobs to get that antag chance but don't actually do anything :D
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24598

That's up there with "This game is only about antags" on the stupidity scale.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #24639

Scott wrote:If there's an AI and a cyborg, there will be power for certain
>implying the borg is going to waste time setting up the solars if there is anything even remotely more interesting to do

Sitting like useless lumps in the dark is not harmful to humans and the AI SMES is self-contained.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #24810

bandit wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Well, you guys said it yourself - jobs can get boring. It's only appropriate that people who do them anyway for a round to actually go on to have a little bonus in terms of increased antag chances.

Assistant is for people who do not want responsibilities during their current round. This is completely separate from antag. Newbies can not enable antag chance, which solves that method entirely. So can people who want to relax.

As for graytiders, here is a novel idea: JUST FUCKING BAN THEM.
Being an antag gives you the reponsibility to make the round fun.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #24827

Intresting, not fun.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #24828

Being a antag gives you the opportunity to make the round fun. There is no obligation. But this is off topic.

If someone was able to rewrite the antag assignment system to assign antag status before your job was selected, then we could freely remove assistant antag since your antag opportunity would remain unchanged. Of course you would still have a slightly lower antag chance since players playing Security or Captain actually have a chance to be selected for antag.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #24840

Spoiler:
I don't think Antag assignment needs a rewrite for that. A Variable exists, "pre_setup_before_jobs" Which allows a Gamemode to run pre_setup() before the job controller does it's stuff.
this variable is only on for Nuke ops, Malf and Wizard.

Just turn it on for Traitors/Other modes.

Gameticker:

Code: Select all

//Configure mode and assign player to special mode stuff
	var/can_continue = 0
	if (src.mode.pre_setup_before_jobs)	can_continue = src.mode.pre_setup()
	job_master.DivideOccupations() 				//Distribute jobs
	if (!src.mode.pre_setup_before_jobs)	can_continue = src.mode.pre_setup()
Gamemodes:

Code: Select all

/datum/game_mode
	-snip-
	var/pre_setup_before_jobs = 0
    -snip-

EDIT: and now PR: all gamemodes choose antag before Jobs are distributed https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/4507
Edit: Nope, this is waaay more complicated.
私は完璧
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #24846

Steelpoint wrote:Being a antag gives you the opportunity to make the round fun. There is no obligation. But this is off topic.

If someone was able to rewrite the antag assignment system to assign antag status before your job was selected, then we could freely remove assistant antag since your antag opportunity would remain unchanged. Of course you would still have a slightly lower antag chance since players playing Security or Captain actually have a chance to be selected for antag.
This would defeat the whole point of having less assistants and add huge amounts of meta.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #24941

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Being a antag gives you the opportunity to make the round fun. There is no obligation. But this is off topic.

This would defeat the whole point of having less assistants and add huge amounts of meta.
On the flip side it would also probably decrease the number of greyshirts in the first place. Probably not back down where it belongs (newer players/overflow) but probably at least to a significant level.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #24997

There is very much an obligation, even if it is just an implied one.

Why have antags at all if they don't make the round more fun?
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #25100

The goal is they make things more fun, but antagonists aren't required to do so. They could all just dick off without consequence.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #25141

People whine when you provide them with too much "fun".
Reviire
Byond Username: Reviire

Post by Reviire » #25207

My 2 cents after reading a page of the thread

Automatically jobban people from assistant after say, 2 weeks of playing. It will force people into job slots, and the only time they will get around said jobban (I believe it can happen if you're forced into the role), is if there are no more job slots at all
Quote from: Gizogin on March 17, 2012, 01:59:01 pm
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #25335

TheVinylScratch wrote:My 2 cents after reading a page of the thread

Automatically jobban people from assistant after say, 2 weeks of playing. It will force people into job slots, and the only time they will get around said jobban (I believe it can happen if you're forced into the role), is if there are no more job slots at all
Unfortunately, the ban system is all or nothing. If you're jobbanned from assistant, and there are no other job slots, you're boned.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #25354

The other day I was rolling for Cyborg and Atmos Tech and I ended up an assistant. A couple minutes after round start I see someone joining as Atmos Tech. I was made Assistant even though there were slots for the jobs I wanted.

Let assistants be. ;)
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #25359

Scott wrote:The other day I was rolling for Cyborg and Atmos Tech and I ended up an assistant. A couple minutes after round start I see someone joining as Atmos Tech. I was made Assistant even though there were slots for the jobs I wanted.

Let assistants be. ;)
That is because there only exists one roundstart slot for that job. The same as roboticist and (I think) chemist and botany. There are other slots but they're reserved for second wave joins.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #25361

i dont think that's how it works
roundstart code is just shit.

also, i want to be able to join as assistant if i don't get borg so i can be borged anyway.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #25373

cedarbridge wrote:
Scott wrote:The other day I was rolling for Cyborg and Atmos Tech and I ended up an assistant. A couple minutes after round start I see someone joining as Atmos Tech. I was made Assistant even though there were slots for the jobs I wanted.

Let assistants be. ;)
That is because there only exists one roundstart slot for that job. The same as roboticist and (I think) chemist and botany. There are other slots but they're reserved for second wave joins.
That's not true at all. I have started as Atmos Tech paired with another Atmos Tech before, same as Roboticist, same as Chemist, same as Botanist.
Miauw wrote:also, i want to be able to join as assistant if i don't get borg so i can be borged anyway.
This.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #25377

Why would you care about antag chances if you want to get borged?
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #25383

If I get antag I won't get myself borged, obviously.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #25394

I think Miauw was referring to the suggestion to ban veteran players from assistant until all other roles were filled.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #25395

Forcing people into a role they don't want?

Congratulations, you just made a suggestion that is even worse.