Space Ruins

A place to record your ideas for the game.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Space Ruins

Post by cedarbridge » #278389

As it exists right now, space is mostly empty and boring. With some luck you might crash into one of a handful of ruins. We need more of them

Goals for new ruins
1) May have good/much/unique loot but should not really just be a giant loot pinata
2) Should probably not contain antag gear like emags/uplink weaponry
3) Maybe have some useful replayablity. Nobody likes thinking "oh, its that boring ruin again" so maybe make the site useable in some way for an interesting purpose
4) This space reserved for me to change the goals and rules as I see fitting.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Space Ruins

Post by Saegrimr » #278390

I liked the "puzzle" shit, like the abandoned teleporter you had to use the tools in the room to fix up the APC to get it working again to get home.

Granted theres no way to make these fun again beyond the first time you figure the puzzle out but that's just the nature of the content.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #278396

Saegrimr wrote:I liked the "puzzle" shit, like the abandoned teleporter you had to use the tools in the room to fix up the APC to get it working again to get home.

Granted theres no way to make these fun again beyond the first time you figure the puzzle out but that's just the nature of the content.
Yeah, but designs like that have merit in that at least the first time (and maybe a couple times before it) you actively had to solve something. It will be, at the very least, interesting and fun for the player on their first contact. Might not get much replayability out of it, but with enough ruins you may not have to worry about seeing the same ruin too many times. Additionally, you get that feeling of being robust because "I solved this before so now I can call on that knowledge now." which feels nice.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #278398

Tbh telescience should be re-added, but, you can only transport people. And add machines, that disrupt telesci, to critical areas so no roundstart armoury memes - you gotta get someone to turn off those if you want in (maybe bribe an engineer to remotely turn off the APC with the power flow console).

If you want to telesci for your space loot, you better have someone on the station ready to beam you back ( or they can simply, not, and leave you stranded in space - extra points if they transport you into space without a spacesuit).
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #278418

Anonmare wrote:Tbh telescience should be re-added, but, you can only transport people. And add machines, that disrupt telesci, to critical areas so no roundstart armoury memes - you gotta get someone to turn off those if you want in (maybe bribe an engineer to remotely turn off the APC with the power flow console).

If you want to telesci for your space loot, you better have someone on the station ready to beam you back ( or they can simply, not, and leave you stranded in space - extra points if they transport you into space without a spacesuit).
IIRC Other servers have telesci protections or inhibitors. We still have telesci but now we have to go through about half the song and dance in R&D before it can be built with any worth. I really do miss using telesci as a super tool though. We'd build containments around the pad to catch lings in maint eating people. We'd use it remotely via the AI to teleport onto the shuttle bridge.

The most fun was what you describe. We'd send exploration teams off on the pad with a GPS and a signaler instead of throwing them out the airlock. A beep on the matching signaler meant "bring me back."
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278489

On the one hand, sure, space is empty and could use some more unique stuff

On the other - do we want to encourage people to leave the round and do whatever off in space? I already have a dislike of lavaland since it's almost like you're playing a different game than the rest of the crew, and I don't think I want to encourage people to continue to go off and do things in space, leaving the round behind

If you had a snowball's chance in hell of finding someone in space it might be different, but unless you know where they're going good luck

This is just my opinion though and considering how positively lavaland has been received I'm likely going to be ignored
Limey wrote:its too late.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #278558

Qbopper wrote:On the one hand, sure, space is empty and could use some more unique stuff

On the other - do we want to encourage people to leave the round and do whatever off in space? I already have a dislike of lavaland since it's almost like you're playing a different game than the rest of the crew, and I don't think I want to encourage people to continue to go off and do things in space, leaving the round behind

If you had a snowball's chance in hell of finding someone in space it might be different, but unless you know where they're going good luck

This is just my opinion though and considering how positively lavaland has been received I'm likely going to be ignored
I don't have a problem with space exploration. The station is the hub where all jobs meet. That includes miners on lavaland. Everyone makes contact with the station at some point and the majority of the round's storyline takes place on the station. Space explorers who don't get merked by space mobs or their own inability to manage internals pressure eventually arrive back on the station as returning adventurers with a sack of loot that they either share with the station or jealously horde against it. Its important to have the focus remain on the station, but we write ourselves into a corner if we ignore the space aspect of the space station.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #278565

That's a fair perspective
Limey wrote:its too late.
Haevacht
Byond Username: Capital_H

Post by Haevacht » #278595

Remove the tomb cheridan won't let me chenge the lance name reeeeee.
1% of a coder, 2% of a spriter, 97% >:3c

Random name on Bagel, usually assistant.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #278877

Puzzles should be mechanical or non-conventional item keys is my input on approaching puzzles because non-convential puzzles such as (step on this pressure plate in a sequence) will be learnt too fast, and done in their sleep.
Insert the Rupees into the slot to open the door, thing is you only have 3 rupees from exploring ruin X,Y,Z and if you mess this up and not enter the rooms with additional rupees already in them, you will be locked out from completing the ruin 100% so it stretches out the experience.

Haevacht wrote:Remove the tomb cheridan won't let me chenge the lance name reeeeee.
Whats the matter you don't like it when i wave my SKY - BULGE infront of you?

Spoiler:
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #279114

cedarbridge wrote:As it exists right now, space is mostly empty and boring. With some luck you might crash into one of a handful of ruins. We need more of them

Goals for new ruins
1) May have good/much/unique loot but should not really just be a giant loot pinata
2) Should probably not contain antag gear like emags/uplink weaponry
3) Maybe have some useful replayablity. Nobody likes thinking "oh, its that boring ruin again" so maybe make the site useable in some way for an interesting purpose
4) This space reserved for me to change the goals and rules as I see fitting.
Having space ruins that could be repaired and made into a backup station like the derelict would be cool. Maybe making the emergency shuttle go to them if they're in a good enough state.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #279238

I'd like to see some items that need other conditions to be used, rather than being gimmick items like the spear or most lavaland stuff. For example, machine boards for unique experimental machinery, weird seeds, unique cyborg upgrades, mech tools, cybernetic parts, chem dispenser modules, T5 stock parts, and so on.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #279240

Add a "Sphynx" or other form of riddle master. Make a bank of questions that is designed in such a way that a simple search on Github won't turn up the answer.

Offer high-end rewards for correct answers, potent penalties for wrong ones (lose a limb, damaged vision, lose your tongue, develop a cough, etc.)
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #279265

Oldman Robustin wrote:designed in such a way that a simple search on Github won't turn up the answer
Like what, math problems?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #279270

DemonFiren wrote:
Oldman Robustin wrote:designed in such a way that a simple search on Github won't turn up the answer
Like what, math problems?
Something like that would require databasing probably. Like the library code.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #279338

I'm gonna leave kor's """design document""" on what he stated he wanted out of space ruins or ruins in general so:

1. Keep the loot sane.
2. Try and have it be original, don't recycle assets when possible.
3. Kind of like 2, but don't make it redundant with other ruins we already have.
4. Limit the damage it can do to the station. The ghost roles should be at a severe disadvantage when fighting the station, or restricted from finding them.

So yeah you will most likely need to redo existing ruins due to #2 and #3 being in your way almost always.
Apparently I was an director or something.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #279359

Apart from the idea we had about moving the Lifebringers to space and off of Lavaland I don't really think space needs more ghost roles. There's plenty of ways to automate interesting ruins/encounters without resorting to ghost roles that would either go unused or just be used to find some way to get back to the station.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #279432

cedarbridge wrote:Apart from the idea we had about moving the Lifebringers to space and off of Lavaland I don't really think space needs more ghost roles. There's plenty of ways to automate interesting ruins/encounters without resorting to ghost roles that would either go unused or just be used to find some way to get back to the station.
It doesn't have any ghost roles already, and i refuse to acknowledge the misguided attempts taken in comparison to the (general) quality of lavaland roles.

Though explicitly, the space roles need to be atmos dependent (as not to float away) so the lifebringers fit the bill nicely, in saying that they are stranded and unlike Space Bar & Hotel which both have exploitable and PUNISHABLE ways of getting 'back' to the station because they are migrant ghost roles in disguise.

Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #279446

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Apart from the idea we had about moving the Lifebringers to space and off of Lavaland I don't really think space needs more ghost roles. There's plenty of ways to automate interesting ruins/encounters without resorting to ghost roles that would either go unused or just be used to find some way to get back to the station.
It doesn't have any ghost roles already,
Yes, you're catching on to what I said. I'd rather that it stay that way since there's very little need for ghost roles in space. If Lifebringers are moved to space that would be the only ghost role (apart from Derelict Drones) that should probably get space in space. All other ruins can much better be automated and serve the same general purpose of adding interesting things to do in space.