Split Alien Infestation event in two

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Split Alien Infestation event in two

Post by Slignerd » #279525

This an idea I had as a result of a few discussions I had about playing as aliens. Rather than have a single Alien Infestation, I recommend we split it in two - Alien Infestation and Alien Hunt.

Base events remain the same as always, but with some small changes. Alien Infestation would work the same as usual, but instead of spawning alien larvas, it would spawn alien drones - guaranteeing that the event would actually start an infestation. Alien Hunt, on the other hand, would do the opposite - instead of spawning alien larvas, it would spawn alien hunters, making an infestation impossible - but satisfying those who would wish to take the crew out one by one as hunters, without the use of facehuggers.

Ultimately, the way I would see probabilities, the probability of xenos appearing would be a little higher, but the probability of an infestation would be halved - with the other half and the difference granted to hunters, making them the more likely variant.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Split Alien Infestation event in two

Post by Dr_bee » #279558

Sligneris wrote:This an idea I had as a result of a few discussions I had about playing as aliens. Rather than have a single Alien Infestation, I recommend we split it in two - Alien Infestation and Alien Hunt.

Base events remain the same as always, but with some small changes. Alien Infestation would work the same as usual, but instead of spawning alien larvas, it would spawn alien drones - guaranteeing that the event would actually start an infestation. Alien Hunt, on the other hand, would do the opposite - instead of spawning alien larvas, it would spawn alien hunters, making an infestation impossible - but satisfying those who would wish to take the crew out one by one as hunters, without the use of facehuggers.

Ultimately, the way I would see probabilities, the probability of xenos appearing would be a little higher, but the probability of an infestation would be halved - with the other half and the difference granted to hunters, making them the more likely variant.
So, "Alien" mode where it is one or a few extremely deadly monsters, and "Aliens" mode where it is a whole hive. I like it.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #279640

Pod Sentinels.

Basically slightly bigger, beefer, hunters with spit, just use them so its more of a "OH FUCK LOOK AT THAT BIG ASS ALIUM HOLY FUCK" instead of "oh look its a hunter get the grenades"
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #279641

Pod Sentinels.

Basically slightly bigger, beefer, hunters with spit, just use them so its more of a "OH FUCK LOOK AT THAT BIG ASS ALIUM HOLY FUCK" instead of "oh look its a hunter get the grenades"

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #279642

Pod Sentinels.

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #279647

Whoa tripple post damn
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #279669

Dumb Oxford, go read a dictionary!
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #279691

I'm okay with this idea. Of course, alien hunt should be limited to ONE SINGLE hunter. Hunters without a hive to drag hosts back to and no need to keep them alive are LUDICROUSLY dangerous. Having multiple of these that can coordinate and communicate would be nightmare fuel for the crew, easily as deadly as a wizard.
Apparently I was an director or something.
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #279699

Sure, but multiple hunters. Maybe 3 max?
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #279766

I already have yet to see Alien Infestation spawn more than three larvae - and it's usually only one anyway. So personally, I would be fine with a possibility of multiple hunters, as long as the odds are the same as they currently are with larvae.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #279811

Gives me an Alien Isolation vibe, sounds fun.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #279966

Did you not hear what I said? Hunters with NO HIVE to report to, and no reason NOT to kill hosts are *insanely* dangerous. They can leap the INSTANT they exit ventcrawl, followed by disarm and harm spam until death, and due to their thermals are fully aware who and how many they're up against WHILE IN THE VENTS. A single half decent hunter could easily clear half the crew, I'm not even joking. They're unstoppably powerful, unless the crew sticks together or fill the pipes with super hot mixes.

I have personally PLAYED as a lone hunter, it did not end well for the crew each time that has happened. Keep it to ONE SINGLE hunter, if alien hunt is chosen.
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #279982

Well, not everyone who clicks "Yes" is really that competent - if we go with a lone hunter, it's really going to be more common to just see their dead corpse brought to Robotics, with a huge amount of disappointed ghosts. That's not exactly fun.

If aliens are meant to be a round ender either way, just how much of a difference would a rare chance of two or three hunters instead of one make? It's already more common to see only a single larva, and the way I see it, these odds would stay unchanged. In the rare event there's more than one hunter... If they're competent, that simply means more than one player is going to have the satisfaction of fighting the crew that way. If not, that means the crew gets to kill one more hunter after the first one gets fried by three laser shots from security. I see no issue here.

To me it feels like your insistence on one hunter and no more stems mostly from not wanting any other hunters getting in the way of your personal lone hunter run. :?
Last edited by Slignerd on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #279992

I agree with WJohn, A Hunter in the vents has complete control over a situation, as they have thermals, making it easy to pick off lone crew members one by one. Like the Wizard, the Hunter is meant to excell in 1v1 combat situations, and has the element of surprise. Since they don't have to drag living crew back to the nest (which is much more difficult then killing on the spot), they're free to murderbone to hearts content.

WJohnson does a lot of the code and art for aliens, so he knows what he's talking about.

If the ghost chosen for Hunter isn't competent, then them's the breaks. Same as the first swarmer getting caught and killed. One swarmer is a threat crew can fight. Two swarmers is a shuttle call if they have an ounce of competence. This is the same thing.

Having two does make a huge difference, since Two hunters coordinating, who were competent and didn't have a nest or reason to leave crew alive, would be incredibly deadly.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #279994

I do have some small ideas in mind to make the hunters less deadly (and xenos in general), but for RIGHT NOW it's best to have only one hunter.

WITH the nerfs in mind, those being the hunter's movespeed nerfed to human levels, and to have thermals removed from all xenos (this is counterbalanced by the queen effectively acting like eyes for you once THAT code mess is ready to go), hunters would be much less capable of picking their battles. I'd be okay with upping their numbers to two, MAYBE three.