Cybernetic ears - (radio & radioscopic)

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Cybernetic ears - (radio & radioscopic)

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #279961

Just a handful of ear organ ideas if we are eventually moving down that system for hearing aids.

> Radio integrated ears are specially made ear organs that broadcast via verbs what you are going to say without the nessecity of a earpiece without obstructing the actual ear slot or (ideally) double broadcasting when you have a piece equipped. Adding the special channel chips to the ear can alter the broadcast, it comes with a special ear verb screen so you can manage the earpieces radio settings as not to create annoyance for the user.

> Radioscopic is simply a x-ray variant, the sensitivity of these ear implants lets you hear things moving and conversations & outside your usual range, and also highlight them if you are currently wearing mesons every time they MOVE, creating a silhouette in sight range (invisible or not) when they speak or every tile they cross over.

Basically if you omitted eyes or are fully/partially blind, radioscopic ears would be a very adequate replacement, be like a bat or a mole.

Both of these service as replacement ears if in the circumstance you can't find a natural and organic ear such as a monkey ear to use. Also vunerable to EMP for causing temporary blackouts and much harsher stuns to sound weaponry. I haven't added any sound blockers to this list (just make a ear-plug item or something) because we already have welding shield eyes and i think it would be overkill to make a noise proof variation too.

Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Re: Cybernetic ears - (radio & radioscopic)

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #279995

I liked it up until you said the word 'double broadcasting', in which case, no, I don't want a Greytide Implant that allows you to spam radio twice as much fnr.

There's virtually no reason for ear implants anyway as the only non-radio item that's useful in the ear slot are headphones, and those are objectively harmful to wear unless you're fighting a HONK.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #280033

I would encourage you to stop skim reading, in my statement i said to AVOID double broadcasting.

Perhaps a rule could be that the earpiece you are wearing takes priority, and when it is exposed to another channel (etc lets say command ) it will switch to your inner ear cybernetic to relay the message.

But we are getting ear organs Yakumo_Chen, which means that ears can be surgically removed and replaced with other organic ears, this is just R&D better alternatives with upsides & downsides instead of harvesting dead bodies with intact ears.

Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #280102

I would want to give cat ears a small hearing advantage, but of course that would be destroyed by SLIPPERY SLOPE memes.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #280165

Gun Hog wrote:I would want to give cat ears a small hearing advantage, but of course that would be destroyed by SLIPPERY SLOPE memes.
...You hear something about...A-AI S-ST-STOP S-SH-SH-OCK-KING D-DOORS C-CAT-TPEOPLE A-ARE H-HUM-MAN

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #280212

Cat ears can hear sihouettes of small creatures like mice, larva and drones moving about if they wear mesons. Reasonable? Just really downscaled radioscopic ears.

Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #280221

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Cat ears can hear sihouettes of small creatures like mice, larva and drones moving about if they wear mesons. Reasonable? Just really downscaled radioscopic ears.
not larva, dont want people getting cat ears to powergame what is basically a flavor thing.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #280232

Yes larva, because if you can powergame versus killing mice/drones, then larva are probably also on the table. Only when the larva move.

Unless you're saying you want to dismiss your slippery slope overlords.

Spoiler:
Cherrypone
Byond Username: Cherrypone

Post by Cherrypone » #281109

woah good job fwoosh out of your 30 ideas you finally found a good one
though this would probably fit in minor suggestions
Though maybe make them implants instead of having a unique ear organ(?)
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #281110

Cherrypone wrote:woah good job fwoosh out of your 30 ideas you finally found a good one
though this would probably fit in minor suggestions
Though maybe make them implants instead of having a unique ear organ(?)
If you are as convinced as i am on the topics and issues then that raises up to about 15 good ideas for every 30, but thank you for your support on this one non-theless. It sort of made sense to just add them as a cybernetic organ (R&D producable) because just upgrading with implants gets a bit tacky when we have other full organ replacement cybernetics such as the new welder eyeballs.

Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #285426

This is actually a good idea and I'll try coding it but I have no clue how to beyond copy and paste/changing numbers. Along with radio/radioscopic ears, maybe these:

Universal Translator Ear: Allows you to hear and understand all languages. Possibly overpowered, would take incredibly high levels and maybe illegal.
Radioscopic Ears would work as thermals kinda except you can hear their footsteps and while they're moving you see them plus you hear them talking on the other side of the wall. Can be disabled. Probably should be able to be turned off.
Radio Ears would work as regular radios. Encryption keys would be added before implantation.
Ear Protection Implants: Prevent ear damage/deafening.

All ear implants when EMPed stop working for a good amount of time plus deafen you.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #285567

Well we have full ear organs now so go nuts.

Universal translator ear & the radio ear could be the same thing really, kind of a rosetta stone kind of deal where you hear a voice & it gets translated for you and allows you transmit in a particular voice if you want to, how languages are panning out it could be a bit experimental though.

Togglable ear shutoffs (like welding eyes), that pull down soundproof earmuffs without obscuring your radio piece i guess.

Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #285912

Ears should not let you speak other languages.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #285978

Armhulen wrote:Ears should not let you speak other languages.
Allow you to hear other languages then, good point. Unless you want to make a neural implant let you know different languages.

Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #286061

A universal translator implant for the mouth could be good for letting you be understood by anyone who hears you speaking, Star Trek style.