Space tether to lavaland.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Space tether to lavaland.

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282016

The concept is that that there are tethering chains firmly rooted into the grounds of the main lavaland station that help keep the station in stable and static orbit, if any of these chains are loosened (unbreakable the only way to do it is tools), the station will be hit with events in which the entire station will rock around, the more tethers that are removed the worse it gets.

Removing all the tethers (including disconnecting the air & power sharing) will make the entire station periodically spin, throwing objects and people around, even more violently with no gravity.

Amongst two of these tethers is a unbreakable atmos & electricity pipeline, the concept is that via engineering you can effectively share resources via this pipeline & disconnect from either end (though not destroy the line) disconnecting them unless there are more than half of the tethers already disconnected will not contribute to the station spinning around.

So you could create a lava geothermal engine on lavaland and then port power back to the station after storing it in SMES's, or use Mekhi's gas miners on lavaland (rather than space which is the same dumb concept that works because VG lore, why not just mine gases from the planet for TG?) and port it over to the station to simplify atmos. Might be a excuse to give engineering a small shuttle (which also makes engineering projects more probable there plus given room) and also a reason for engineers to use the blueprints & their permits to complete rooms, & wire into the shared grid besides from the auxiliary base (which is a free permit for science).

Two big long pipes in a cental machine that go down to the planet, and on the planet a machine with two big long pipes seems to go through the ceiling.

energy comes in/out this side to the machine -> [ ] <- Oxygen (from a ideal setup with atmos) is ported through here, given that everything else is transported in bulk canisters via shuttles, without oxygen (CO2 etc natively pumped into mining waste atmos and vented outside) both stations fail to function so this is its primary purpose.

The station & planet base are expanded and also intrinsically connected until someone deliberately severs them.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Space tether to lavaland.

Post by D&B » #282017

Wrong subforum
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282020

Que?

Spoiler:
D&B

Post by D&B » #282045

Isn't this for the planet station?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #282047

D&B wrote:Isn't this for the planet station?
>space teather that keeps station in orbit
>planetstation
You what
D&B

Post by D&B » #282054

Soz, I am half asleep rn
Spoiler:
fuck you
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #282057

The station is not orbiting lavaland
#notcanon
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #282069

do you even know what an orbit is?
Apparently I was an director or something.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282125

Does it matter? We can just write lore so its closer, closer enough to make a 'space anchor' to keep it completely still and then splice in the mechanics (that nobody is paying attention to, you must either not want them or are too triggered by this lore)
- I guess if you need a deeper explanation, we can argue that the local sun and configuration of micro planets far apart in the sector are gravitationally unstable so anything as large as the space station would be periodically disturbed (hence no tethers = wobbling) with the described effects. Things in the solar system wobbling towards each other because of strong or parallel strong-weak gravity is common science, alternatively we could say the sun is weak and has loose control of things in system.

Because it requires to be perfectly still with no correcting position mechanism, the station is orbiting the planet rather than the sun from a very far distance firstly to keep out of its direct gravitational pull (that will jangle around with the station's size or when another object is affected by gravity) and secondly to stop it crashing into the planet (along with space junk like sand, asteroids pulled in by the wonky gravity, organic matter like meaty-ores etc.) but is kept entirely still and firm on the planets sun facing side where mining is specially picked so as the planet cycles around the solar system they can additionally gather solar energy without (like in regular orbit) swinging around away from the sun and out of reach of ash storms on the planet below

Saying that the station is far away enough to constantly see the sun's light around the planet to harvest all the time, and/or that the planet itself has a side that always faces the sun but moves about rather than a stupid galleio mechanic we have now and you're actively defending where the sun orbits US.
Mining ships though they do whizz along in space only have a conveniently short trip, also, that's very rude of you D&B. I actually read to keep up to date on planetstation, and there actually isn't even a workable space station in it, so your comment is a load of baloney. Ok this series of events might be a flawed lore explanation but you're willing to believe pretty much anything at this moment if there's a planet with plasma, demons, huge monsters and shit.

We got any science majors or perhaps Brian Cox in the audience to tell me how i am grossly wrong? Or perhaps you are overthinking the silly premise you could chain a space station to a volcanic rock to stop it firstly floating away and spinning around uncontrollably.
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #282127

it kind of does because matter that you have no idea what an orbit is when you're suggesting something that completely breaks the basic fundamental concept of an orbit

so to make it simple for you:

an orbit is where you're moving sideways fast enough that you perpetually miss the planet. you do not need an anchor, you can literally sit there for millions of years and never hit the ground because nothing is affecting your trajectory. the slightly more sane (yet still retarded) version of your idea would be that a station is NOT going at orbital velocities, instead matching a location on the ground at a sub-orbital, sub-geostationary speed and height, requiring you to continuously burn fuel towards the ground to keep yourself from crashing.

or you could just be high up enough to be in geostationary orbit so you still appear to be unmoving relative to the ground, while spending no fuel whatsoever and not having that GIGANTIC STUPID LIABILITY USED IN EVERY SCI FI SHOW AND GAME HOLY SHIT
Apparently I was an director or something.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282133

I laid down the parameters why you might need a tether in the first place, ok you threw it back at me claiming i don't know the science but as far as your current setup which is completely non-Newtonian to even respect gravity, and before i opened my mouth none of you didn't give a shit that a SUN was circling you in a orbit. And there is a planet down there FULL OF DEMONS, and a MAGICAL ORE THAT MAKES FLAMMABLE POSION GAS.

You don't need to miss the planet if all the gravity is weak and unstable enough to not matter, the tether just keeps you firm. Mmm, well we're in space so we cleared the atmosphere which is probably thin and shitty (good point no regular atmosphere so you could get close) im not suggesting we are actually in the planets atmosphere, the tethers are REALLY REALLY long but also tight, more to stop the station floating away like everything else in space if there is stronger gravity presences outside the solar system or playing solar ping pong with other bodies.

Eh, just run with geostationary orbit, literally who cares at this point unless we want to argue that belching atmos waste distribution like vast amounts of CO2 or the incinerator acts as a sort of "engine" to just insure the station stays in orbit by working against the strong tethers that can take the pressure.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #282140

WJohnston wrote:it kind of does because matter that you have no idea what an orbit is when you're suggesting something that completely breaks the basic fundamental concept of an orbit
You're saying this as if ss13 followed the laws of physics in the first place.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #282184

IIRC lore says the space station is orbiting a gas giant, but we also have lavaland planet close by, which therefore must be a moon orbiting the aforementioned gas giant. If you want a space elevator going to the surface, just pretend it's in geostationary orbit above the moon. It wouldn't even be too high of an orbit if the moon is small enough. Unless it's tidally locked. You can easily calculate orbit altitude, just ask Kor (since he created lavaland) for the planet's specifics like mass and orbital period.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282188

Grazyn wrote:IIRC lore says the space station is orbiting a gas giant, but we also have lavaland planet close by, which therefore must be a moon orbiting the aforementioned gas giant. If you want a space elevator going to the surface, just pretend it's in geostationary orbit above the moon. It wouldn't even be too high of an orbit if the moon is small enough. Unless it's tidally locked. You can easily calculate orbit altitude, just ask Kor (since he created lavaland) for the planet's specifics like mass and orbital period.
The huge gas giant is at risk of rocking the station all around therefore it needs to be tethered to the moon. Ta-da!

Spoiler:
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #282458

How do I physics.
The Ultimate Chimera
Byond Username: The Ultimate Chimera

Post by The Ultimate Chimera » #282488

FantasticFwoosh wrote:The huge gas giant is at risk of rocking the station all around therefore it needs to be tethered to the moon. Ta-da!
what
Your sins are not to be forgiven. Pain and regrets are waiting for you.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #282531

I know a guy who's making an actual straight-up space-elevator map with the station split over planetside (plasma-atmosphere) and orbital counterweight (space) but it's not a "tether" for holding the station in orbit, it's replacement for shuttles in classic sci-fi style. But no, a space elevator does not rely on the cable to keep the space end in orbit, it's already in a geostationary orbit in order to function.

There's a whole lot of fluff to go with it about atmospheric composition and such for why they can't just use shuttles to regularly travel from planetside to orbit (tl;dr lower atmosphere is mostly plasma, upper atmosphere has some oxygen but is too cold to ignite unless some dipshit shows up with a heat source like, say, a shuttle engine)
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #282580

scree you had me excited then, when you said plasma-atmosphere for the planet, my first thought was the map being set directly above the plasma gas giant (its in the lore dangit), meaning you could take an elevator to the bottom deck and just see howling plasma winds as you kick the clown off into the abyss.

somebody make THAT map.
私は完璧
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282581

Something a bit like dead space 2?

Mmm floating sky island mining map replacement for the asteroid mining station, probably full of annoying flying crab things and a very good reason for bringing a jetpack or a jaunter. *cogs in my mind begin whirring*
Spoiler:
> Its full of space sharks (flying nonatmos goliath replacements) and giant worms that fly through the atmosphere (reusing space worm assets) probably a pterodactyl somewhere. Corpses falling into the abyss probably mean that loot drops shouldn't matter too much.

> Bridge between islands using catwalks or fly at risk of falling into the cavernous abyss, fultons work fine here.

> You fight a space-sharkplasmanado as a boss, leviathan worm/monster as another, that's about as uncreatively thinking as i can get off the top of my head for distinct bosses in this environment.

> Has a eagle/bat-man/pterodactyl ashwalker-esque "Native" ghost role (ashwalkers with wings and conical heads?), other ghost roles can just adapt to the enviroment
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #282586

a bespin-map would probably work with a multi-Z map where the bottom level is just "every turf is chasms". Do jetpacks maintain altitude in multi-z?
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #282588

Screemonster wrote:a bespin-map would probably work with a multi-Z map where the bottom level is just "every turf is chasms". Do jetpacks maintain altitude in multi-z?
they do.
私は完璧
FantasticFwoosh

Re: Bespin Map?

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #282634

I really think that idea Remie should go solo. I already have a minor suggestion idea about a piece of new miner equipment relevant to a mob you could introduce there.

Q-terradon mobs, tamable (with lots of miner points) mounts converted into pets from monsters on the outside edges of the lowest mining area with those described floating islands

I wonder if you could parallax plasma clouds? It'd be nice to get some plasma cloud island fake floor tiles to give the impression of a glass bottom floor.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #282640

FantasticFwoosh wrote:, and before i opened my mouth none of you didn't give a shit that a SUN was circling you in a orbit.
fixed that for you