Bee smoker item

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Bee smoker item

Post by Lazengann » #287553

I've been playing around with bees, and they're INCREDIBLY useful for Botany and anyone who wants more of any chemical. For those unfamiliar with bees, they increase potency and yield of plants they visit, and they can produce any chemical the queen is injected with. The problem is, they turn Hydroponics into a death chamber for everybody except the guy with the suit. Entering and leaving has a risk of the bees escaping into the main hallways, and late arriving Botanists are locked out of their department until they can beg Cargo for a new beekeeping suit or get a space suit.

The smoker would make the bees docile, allowing others to enter and exit safely. The drawback is that while it's lit, bees would stop visiting the plants and stop producing honey/chemicals. This would make bees safer for everyone while potentially allowing others to harvest the honeycombs.

THE PROS OF BEES
  1. •Encourages more positive interactions with Chemistry, Cargo, the Chef, Bartender, and other departments.

-Chemists often have a problem with Botanists smashing in and stealing the chem dispenser for easy access to mutagen and saltpetre. With bees, botanists are able to produce mutagen and increase potency on their own. This doesn't make them independent from Chemistry, as they'll still need mutagen to start and they'll still need it if they don't make mutagen bees, and they'll still want to ask Chemistry for saltpetre if they want a plant at max potency fast. Currently, Botany wants a LOT of chemicals from Chemistry to the point of stealing the chem dispenser(I'm guilty), while Chemistry gets nothing in return. With bees, Chemistry can ask Botany to produce certain chemicals that are rare or hard to produce. Maybe they'll ask for earthsblood bees so they can make earthsblood+mannitol patches or pills, or more realistically they'll ask for methamphetamine bees. A smoker would allow Chemists to harvest the honeycombs themselves safely because asking people for things in this game is really hard and inconvenient.

-Bee crates come from Cargo. When a botanist is raising bees, it encourages the Botanists to grow a lot of wood to make new apiaries and honey frames. With bees, Botany can end up with absurd amounts of wood from just a few tower cap trays, which they can flush down disposals for Cargo to sell for easy points.

-Due to how bees work, they encourage botany to fill EVERY SINGLE tray with plants. This means the chef's smartfridge is going to get extremely full with a ton of different things.

•Bees are cool
CONS
  • •There is currently no way to stop bees from stinging the other crewmembers.
Please note: A smoker would NOT be a buff to Botany. Bees are already in the game and the botanists can already reap the benefits without caring about others because their bee suits make them immune. This would simply make life better for the crew at large and let bees be a more viable option for botanists who want to be considerate of the rest of the crew.

P.S. bzzzz
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Bee smoker item

Post by Cobby » #287571

bees getting released is funny though and it would be a shame if there was a 1click wonder to stop it.

Just give them your bee suit after becoming a pod man.

Also bee suit is actually safe from bees :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #287572

Podmen are immune? Oh shit
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #287573

Saying something that's powercreep is QoL doesn't make it less powercreep.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #287576

Saying something is powercreep doesn't make it powercreep
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #287582

good luck arresting me I'm behind five thousand bees

Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #287614

Mate I'd just use a laser and kill you in that shit.

But real talk. Smoker sounds cool.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #287641

Lazengann wrote:Podmen are immune? Oh shit
yes, podmen are the best

edit: much better than dumb slime girls
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287643

kevinz000 wrote:Saying something that's powercreep is QoL doesn't make it less powercreep.
Is it really powercreep though? Its giving something that realistically should have a player control, a player control. We don't require the supermatter containment doors to close in a certain order to protect the engineers working on it from roasting themselves in eternal hellfire because we presume players are capable of using the tools they have to contain the engine properly. Botany doesn't have a good way to access and leave their department when using bees who were designed for use with their department. Giving them a usable safety tool to contain something normally useful but dangerous if not contained is not creep. Its adding something that should have been in the first place.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #287644

>Slimes aren't the best

Have fun killing me with bees I'm immune to poison fuckboy
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #287645

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:
Lazengann wrote:Podmen are immune? Oh shit
yes, podmen are the best

edit: much better than dumb slime girls
NSFW:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #287646

A bee smoker that uses plants to calm bees wouldnt be power creep, it would be accurate, give it downsides and a fuel cost, along with a construction cost and it is just a neat feature.

I typically would use the Fast food restaurant paper drink holders as smoker fuel back when I kept bees IRL, though you use handheld smokers to examine hives and not some sort of giant machine.

I do love that the costume vendor bee costume counts as a beekeeper's suit, it is just the kind of silly that fits the station.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #287648

Bee's dont smoke
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #287650

Lazengann wrote:good luck arresting me I'm behind five thousand bees

*Smashes ur window and lobs in a CF3 grenade*
Hope your beekeeper suit is fire and space proof
Toroic
Byond Username: Toroic

Post by Toroic » #287740

I think it's a neat idea, but tbh botany doesn't need chemistry for more than 5 minutes and mass-producing chems is something botany can already do to an incredible degree.

Bees mass producing chems is convenient but not necessary. The amount of damage a botanist can do once they are established, along with the massive supply of healing/murder chems makes them second only to chemist in destructive potential and a troll botanist will spread cancer kudzu in just a few minutes.
Unprofessional Catgirl and Straightboy Supreme.