Let us put bodies in curator displays

A place to record your ideas for the game.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Let us put bodies in curator displays

Post by DrPillzRedux » #289131

title
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Re: Let us put bodies in curator displays

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #289158

They should be seperate full size displays or skeleton racks. I want to show people my taxidermied ashwalker.

Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #289166

Wouldnt work. Humans are built out of overlays visually and since we use dummy objects for the displays they dont have the code to rebuild that image. It'd just be an empty standard torso.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #289172

Kor wrote:Wouldnt work. Humans are built out of overlays visually and since we use dummy objects for the displays they dont have the code to rebuild that image. It'd just be an empty standard torso.
False.

it uses getFlatIcon() which combines an object's sprite + underlays + overlays into one /Icon object, that can be used itself as an overlay/underlay on the display case.
私は完璧
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #289174

Remie Richards wrote:
Kor wrote:Wouldnt work. Humans are built out of overlays visually and since we use dummy objects for the displays they dont have the code to rebuild that image. It'd just be an empty standard torso.
False.

it uses getFlatIcon() which combines an object's sprite + underlays + overlays into one /Icon object, that can be used itself as an overlay/underlay on the display case.
But these are persistent display cases. It wouldnt work the next round when loading from the save file to create a dummy object and setting an icon state, at least not as it is set up currently.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #289175

Kor wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
False.

But these are persistent display cases. It wouldnt work the next round when loading from the save file to create a dummy object and setting an icon state, at least not as it is set up currently.
It's simple.
You take the human mob and put them inside.
You clean out their Ckey/Key/Client refs, etc.
You put the ENTIRE HUMAN in the save file (yes this works) and then next round you load the entire human.
私は完璧
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #289177

Remie Richards wrote:
Kor wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
False.

It's simple.
You put the ENTIRE HUMAN in the save file (yes this works) and then next round you load the entire human.
What if you raised the glass higher to support a entire human, and could pose them while they were already in there, like a terracotta warrior the person would crumble to dust in the next round if removed.

Spoiler:
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #289187

no people will kill me and put me on display for the memes :(
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #289188

You're already on display on the table.
私は完璧
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #289194

correct me if I'm wrong but this would be a way to permanently kill people with no chance of cloning. of course only librarians can do it and i guess they'd get bwoinked if they did it as a nonantagonist
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #289213

That would be pretty awesome, especially if lings could burst out of their glass coffin
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #289219

It doesn't actually store the item though, it's a dummy item. The original idea was to store the actual item, but it was pointed out that could be dangerous with some items.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #289335

> HoS requisitions a new art piece for his office
> It's a dead mime in a display case with its tongue cut out.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #321021

Just to contribute while im passing over looking for other threads, it'd be nice if we could have consistent body storage
  • For example having a human corpse pre-loaded in map maker containers in order to populate contents by being held inside the display case (disguised as a sarcophagus?) with ashen skeletons and the like on lavaland ruins, perhaps throw a few into the necropolis temple.
  • Also would apply i guess to putting ckeyless bodies inside of ghost role spawners etc, so that the occupants burst out when the container is broken.
  • To the above point, feasibly this would also render saving the state of a ckey between rounds if like on bay-features people want to eject their ckey for the current round as a IC ghost by entering a sleeper, use our existing blackbox system and have them be able to pop back into their body (with relevant omissions/changes) the next round

Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #321023

Fwoosh that's literally the 'corpse' system we already have (atleast the first two points, the third point is just nonsense fwoosh-speak)
Almost (most ghost roles are a human mob, even if they're lizards, ie: a swarmer shell isn't a corpse, but a sleeper or a ash lizard egg) Anything you can click as a ghost that turns you into a 'ghost role' is a corpse object (even sleepers in the plant ruin are 'corpses')
Their ORIGINAL purpose was to just be corpses, ie: 'dead sec officer' spawns a human body, pre-dead, and attaches a security outfit to them.
私は完璧
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #321027

But to my original point, once the spawning object is destroyed (say you bash it with a toolbox till it breaks) the object vanishes without a trace along with the ghost role's slot and actually putting the corpse inside and locking the 'container' rather than prompting the object would be a more immersive use of the corpse system.

In simple speak, something silly as the corpse dropping out without a ckey because its held physically inside (removing the need for the spawner object except to prompt ghosts to get inside the occupant) would be more immersive. I meant my second point literally.
  • ok fair enough, my memory slipped on the corpse systems functionality on the first point but using case like containers for bodies like other discussion on the thread may yet be amusing for keeping it without clutter and maintain form rather than spill out on the floor without changing the container to be bucklable. (upright mummies wrapped in bandages standing upright in a sarcophagus on display)

Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #321035

Right, see, the first post was Fwooshspeak.
The second post, says you want the bodies to fall out of these things REGARDLESS (in english), ie: if you smash a plant person sleeper (corpse) you actually get a dead plant person.

Which yes I agree with, that makes good sense.
私は完璧
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #322965

Remie Richards wrote:
Kor wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
False.

It's simple.
You can do that, but you can also just save the mutable appearance directly (I think, I'll test this if you want to confirm). At the very least I would suggest a basic /obj with appearance = mob instead of the actual human. The best part is that saving an object flattens the icon automatically, so the issue Kor mentioned about how loading wouldn't work isn't true as far as I know.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter