lets brainstorm interesting races that aren't furries

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

lets brainstorm interesting races that aren't furries

Post by Smoopadoop » #290971

or they can be furries if they're interesting and not blatant yiff shit
step 1come up with ideas
step 2 put in thread

my ideas:
single-cell organism that can only digest simple sugars

something with a different system of limbs to humans. maybe no legs + levitation, maybe they're a blob of flesh with one arm, etc

something which needs a constant supply of a special mix of drugs or they die or they go berzerk validmode or something idfk. maybe they melt

race that melts when they touch water

race that can only walk sideways

sign language race. their words come out as hand emojis, and humans can learn sign language to interpret. or if nobody learns then they just have to be mimes without mime magic

race that eats bugs

race that eats dirt or something

race that can only digest alcohol, or other similar reagents

if you come up with visual designs for races i'll try draw them
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: lets brainstorm interesting races that aren't furries

Post by DemonFiren » #290981

race that is composed of flat, but never horizontal or vertical surfaces and constantly secretes lube
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #291043

Smoopadoop wrote: single-cell organism that can only digest simple sugars

maybe they're a blob of flesh with one arm, etc
Those are too much of a stretch even for NT to hire.
Smoopadoop wrote: can only walk sideways
Lamest super power ever.

We gotta be careful about how many xenos we add. Eventually all the sickening multiculturalism will make the server feel like a damn star trek episode.
--Crocodillo

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #291090

Humans rool, Xenos drool
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #291103

@Iamgoofball

SPACE ELVES

KLINGOFFS
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #291123

Space Dorfs just so I can call the space elves "knife-eared bastards"
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #291137

Snailiens. They have eyestalks and a shell instead of a backpack. Salt hurts them and if they take off their shoes they gain traction but move even slower and leave a slime trail so janitor lynch.

SPACECLOPS. One eyed pointy eared spacefoll who can't wear regular eyewear and have to order special monocular goggles. Lack of depth perception means they whiff throws a lot.

Deep Space Ones. Carplike gill-men that wear fishbowls on their heads that need to be filled with water or they start to suffocate.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291145

Crab People.

aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #291147

I'm happy crab people are STILL brought up
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291149

Crab People.

aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #291152

Lumbermancer wrote:Crab People.

engi crab
more pls
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #291293

Super Aggro Crag wrote:snel
when are they gonna add my slug/snel race
Mains:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #291296

literally any race from star control

skeksis

goblins

weedulons from the snoop-420 system

sasquatch
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #291360

i want lanius from FTL
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #291363

Snailiens plz
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #291396

I coded some aliums for an April Fool's project I never finished:
  • amphibians that can breathe water vapor and need to stay hydrated
  • protohumans that heal from bananas and can't fire guns like monkeys
  • icy guys that like cold and can produce cold air
  • hot guys that like heat and heat people by touching them
  • mudmen that move slowly and can excrete slime to purge reagents and move faster temporarily
  • guys that heal from sleeping and die from brain damage
  • guys that heal from eating and are damaged by medicine and hunger
  • guys with 4 hands
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #291458

Swindly wrote:I coded some aliums for an April Fool's project I never finished:
  • amphibians that can breathe water vapor and need to stay hydrated
  • protohumans that heal from bananas and can't fire guns like monkeys
  • icy guys that like cold and can produce cold air
  • hot guys that like heat and heat people by touching them
  • mudmen that move slowly and can excrete slime to purge reagents and move faster temporarily
  • guys that heal from sleeping and die from brain damage
  • guys that heal from eating and are damaged by medicine and hunger
  • guys with 4 hands
an amphibian or fish species that required water vapor to breath and didnt slip on water floors would be a cool species actually, give them a few good downsides and they would make a good addition, plus give a legitimate use for water vapor besides griefing.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291536

Crab people were mentioned before in a thread somewhere. However i've gone to the extra measure & acturally drew you a greyscale face if you wanted for a prawn/shrimp person as sort of a intermediary. Antennae, (wasn't sure if i was overdoing the mouth with two darkened bits but i didn't want it look like a nose) and stalk eyes.

The most darkened bits of the stalk & mouth bits are accents i suppose, which are supposed to contrast with the arthropod persons eye & shell (skin) color

The basic idea is that these shrimp people have edged weapon hands that are not dexterous enough to use guns etc, (claws) and also because thy don't have fingers (to make a flat palm) cannot properly push to disarm people, however they have strong grip & good offensive hand weapons so they are basically hand to hand experts. They have a poor resistance to heat weapons however (because lobsters/shrimp)

> They are banned from science & security because of a inability to handle ranged weapons, banned from engineering because they cant wear safety gloves as well as command because obviously non-human. Generally inhibiting medical, service & cargo roles. They can use their hands in the place of a scalpel or a saw for a very low success rate chance and are lore-wise the best doctors in the known galaxy.

- They speak in rasps, like the comb like utterings of a lobster.

- Cannot wear gloves, but can wirecut at their own risk of having a near lethal amplified electric shock by cutting the wires with their claws raw, the race is also immune to nettle piercing because of their tightly knit exoskeletons.

They also have freaky prawn tails. Delicious delicious freaky prawn tails & steak-meat.

Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #291544

Fungal people, instead of cloning, you have to find a place with no light and inject their body with blood, then they will form a spore pod which will hatch into a new fungal person
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291555

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Crab people
Crab people have 4 hands, so they can hold 4 items.They cannot use complex items (guns and such), and switch active hand has a delay. If they grab you with pincers you will have to resist out. They have carapace which is a natural armor, which is quite hefty but can be broken and has to be surgerized to fix it. You could use some metal and welder to fix it up in the field but it would lower your maximum health. Carapace is space-proof too. Crabs have natural regeneration as well (of health, not carapace). They are pretty slow, they move at the speed of human dragging someone, but they can strafe like Durand, they can't be pushed around and dragged.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291563

I can't say im very hyped for your version lumbermancer, it seems like too many positives (space proof for one, not even plasmemes get full) & regen even with all the other minor disadvantages to just make playing them feel more crummy than it is.

Without meaning to be wholly biased, i do think my shrimp/ giant mutated sea-monkey person idea is more well rounded for the game for not straying too far from humanoid carbon mobs while still retaining some uniqueness about the race. For instance until hand pseudo organs are in, crustacean arms will be unique in their function, and all thier body parts will have a particular exoskeleton shinyness to them for aesthetic difference, the heat weakness & weakness to lasers is not too different from xenos i suppose and make actually BEING the race unique without totally alienating the user.

- Mix mutation toxin with some carpotoxin to make shrimpman mutation juice,

I guess we're going for one niche below lizards & flymen while life as a xeno is sometimes impractical because of your racial limits and you're discriminated a lot, but not the (permadead) hardgame of plasma people who have it the hardest.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291564

FantasticFwoosh wrote:minor disadvantages
Only if by minor you mean being a free kill when in the open for anyone with at least one working arm.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291566

No they sound like murder in close combat if you can pin a guy up into a 1x1 hole and toolbox them to death and they way you describe is literally a worse diamond golem (those guys are really tough)

Its just a endless murder train of carrying 4 toolboxes and hitting X on your keyboard to swap hands slowly (like anybody cares) or carrying 4 stun batons at all times.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291568

I forgot to add it Crab People turn like mechs as well, so you can basically run around them hitting with toolbox.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291569

Do you know how bullshit mechs are when they box you in? Its literally fighting a brick wall, only a crab person as you describe has 4 weapons out at once, can actually be punched but is going to outright outtank you. Its trash mechanics tbh.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291570

Don't get boxed. Crab people can't use ranged weapons. You can just avoid them. You don't have to kill everything on your path. Because this mentality we can't have any unique playable races, and everyone is just differently coloured human.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #291571

Mantis men with compound vision and antennae that let them detect all antags in a fifty foot radius
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291581

Lumbermancer wrote:Don't get boxed. Crab people can't use ranged weapons. You can just avoid them. You don't have to kill everything on your path. Because this mentality we can't have any unique playable races, and everyone is just differently coloured human.
Dont make races that are spaceproof & have armor then, as shitty as they might be, you're breaking your own ruling there no matter how vunerable they will be, the boxed in situaton is easy to worm yourself into and you're going to be unfairly abused in that situation.

My shrimp people die to lasers easily and also cannot use guns, but are otherwise as capable as other beings if not having a slight extra edge with cutting tools with the obvious drawbacks they have to convenience (dying cutting wires, or screwing up procedures where they improve cut & drill using their claws with sterilizine)
captain sawrge wrote:Mantis men with compound vision and antennae that let them detect all antags in a fifty foot radius
Those are a planned antagonist type on Europa station, im not sure how purely antagonistic races would go down though. How would they even arrive onto the station & what do they want?

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291585

FantasticFwoosh wrote:My shrimp people die to lasers easily and also cannot use guns, but are otherwise as capable as other beings
Then what is the point?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #291586

DemonFiren wrote:race that is composed of flat, but never horizontal or vertical surfaces and constantly secretes lube

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291590

Lumbermancer wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote:My shrimp people die to lasers easily and also cannot use guns, but are otherwise as capable as other beings
Then what is the point?
What do you mean it has to have a point? I don't get how you get so pumped up about this wildly different crab race that is essentially a carbon mech but both fiddly & annoying for no reason when instead you can pick apart the best bits and try to think about it in a balanced way that alters HOW you play without it being overbloated, and keep it familiar.

If you want to make a race to powergame as a 4 armed tanky freak be my guest but nobody not invested into it wants to play a slow tanky race unless they were actively expecting combat. Golems are a pain in the ass because they are slow but they have the benefit of stun-punches and spaceworthyness which i see you are trying to create but its too close a copy and you're just making crab people worse for the sake of it, nobody forces people to play completely optional golems and as a roundstart race it'd really blow hard.

Its functionally better, less snowflakey to just have a humanoid race with a altered set of rules, as example in the prescient with good races like vox (not on tg obviously but they have shoetype restrictions & breath No2), plasmapeople (HAVE to wear suits & breathe plasma) and obviously without recycling the content, adding either gameplay changing or minor features onto other races.

If you want to kill a shrimp person, just welder them, they are lower on the pecking order and sufficiently harder than playing a lizard with the prospect of actually being cloned & recovered and a few balanced advantages to having sharp object hands. Not rocket science difference to a race that is both different, but generally physiologically similar to the carbon template.

Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #291604

FantasticFwoosh wrote: don't get how you get so pumped up about this wildly different crab race
Because it's wildly different.
FantasticFwoosh wrote:less snowflakey to just have a humanoid race with a altered set of rules
But that's not what snowflake means. Snowflake means superficial uniqueness, for its own - vanity, sake. i.e. lizards who are just humans who can *wag, hiss and are all dirty and shit.
FantasticFwoosh wrote:nobody not invested into it wants to play a slow tanky race unless they were actively expecting combat
Nobody? How many jobs stick to their departments? Chemists, Scientists, Roboticists, Botanists, Chefs, Bartenders, Wardens.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #291622

>lizards
>dirty

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #291648

But your 'thats radical' changes don't actually do anything because as you've pointed out it'll be dead within a matter of minutes in open space, thats not even a restriction of any sort, you've made it tough, space proof, worthless for anything except pinching people in 1x1 close combat hoping to outtank someone attacking with fists and also slow as fuck with the crappiest movement controls in the game. If all of these are to make it "balanced" then you are highly mistaken as to the definition of snowflake when you code in such a irregular and terribly (on paper) designed abnormality to a otherwise normal lineup.

Its literally all or nothing up front bad features rather than a incremental buildup. My shrimp people are different in their own way but its muted by the fact they are humanoid carbons like any other race to date, so they are different enough for people to pick up without thinking ("This is complete bullshit how does this play?") and instead think ideally ("oh cool my hands can snip things, oh wait i can't wear gloves & snipped something i didn't mean to, oh rats i guess ill have to be more careful")

Exercise a little subtlety before you get into the real wacky shit i guess.

> Your crab people will literally space themselves with a airtank within the opening moments of the game looking for loot or going REEE I DONT WANT TO DIE, because they are that painful to play.
Lumbermancer wrote:Nobody? How many jobs stick to their departments? Chemists, Scientists, Roboticists, Botanists, Chefs, Bartenders, Wardens.
Yeah sure catch the traitor with adrenals Police Captain Krab Man, go get em, nobody in these departments unless its seditary will want the crab people for any purpose because RP roles too atleast have bare minimum requirement for it shouldn't take a week to get 1 drink served even with your four fancy arms or the customer is going to lose interest in RP'ing with you and not bother.

Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292007

crab people is good idea

single celled organism is a cool idea actually - probably makes zero fucking sense at all if you think about it but I like the idea
Limey wrote:its too late.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #292010

single celled organism is stupid

lets make a playable race 1 trillionth the size of a person which would actually be unable to think or achieve sentience really
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #292015

PKPenguin321 wrote:i want lanius from FTL
Idea sounds cool, but I feel like Plasmamen are already our "fucks with oxygen" race
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #292071

Qbopper wrote:crab people is good idea
I can't discern whether you mean out of the two arthropod races discussed (my shrimp people) or lumbermancers crab people, which one you think.

Hmm, what did he mean by this?

Spoiler:
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292150

Nilons wrote:single celled organism is stupid

lets make a playable race 1 trillionth the size of a person which would actually be unable to think or achieve sentience really
obviously it's a big fuckin' dude and I already addressed this

does it make sense? no

does it need to be technically single celled? no

it could just be a big blorble dude who can only digest sugars or something, it's a neat idea, don't get hung up on semantics
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #292155

Qbopper wrote:
Nilons wrote:single celled organism is stupid

obviously it's a big fuckin' dude and I already addressed this

does it make sense? no

does it need to be technically single celled? no

it could just be a big blorble dude who can only digest sugars or something, it's a neat idea, don't get hung up on semantics
Then just make it a magic slime person who can only digest simple sugars instead of forcing pseudoscience on it.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #292170

Real talk tho dawgs comment and critique on my ideas pleas
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #292172

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Snailiens. They have eyestalks and a shell instead of a backpack. Salt hurts them and if they take off their shoes they gain traction but move even slower and leave a slime trail so janitor lynch.

SPACECLOPS. One eyed pointy eared spacefoll who can't wear regular eyewear and have to order special monocular goggles. Lack of depth perception means they whiff throws a lot.

Deep Space Ones. Carplike gill-men that wear fishbowls on their heads that need to be filled with water or they start to suffocate.
I like snailians and Carmen because they sound fun while being dumb enough to deter furfaggotry
Signature Memes

TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #292173

Fishmen sound fun

When you take their helmet off they should star flopping around, stunning them
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #292196

Reagent based breathing like a seperate kind of blood system sounds interesting, but just pour potassium into the bowl and they explode would make it too cheap.

But x breathes y is kind of boring if you overuse it for every race suggestion with any bit of variety.

> Crag did you mean spacetroll? Thats sort of furryish in a fantastical kind of way because its a big hairy monsters, If this was non furry opposed i might have suggested goatmen.

Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #292305

Cyclopes are not furry
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #292992

TrustyGun wrote:Fishmen sound fun

When you take their helmet off they should star flopping around, stunning them
blub
Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #293030

would fishe people need to change their bowl water every now and then or can they just dunk their head in the bowl and leave it on
can we fill the bowl with other reagents too
"hey fish got you some new water"
"oh thanks man oh fuck that's acid you cunt"
Mains:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #293035

Yea

Liquor bowls
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #293042

can I steal the fishpeople concept + reagent bowls so I can try to learn how to work with races code

what I figure is it'd be similar to plasmamen in that you have "internals" (a sealed bowl of water), but not a full on pressure suit - you can take off the bowl but you'll begin to suffocate without H20 to breathe
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #293048