Kinetic accelerator for Ripley

A place to record your ideas for the game.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Kinetic accelerator for Ripley

Post by InsaneHyena » #297369

Right now Ripley is basically useless - a specialized mining mech is worse than a roundstart miner at all aspects. It's less mobile, it doesn't have a ranged option, it needs charging, repairing a mech is more difficult than healing yourself, and most importantly, you have to bug science to make it.
It does not feel right to me. My first memories of SS13 are playing as a roboticist and making Ripleys, and then playing as a miner and piloting them. Sure, it wasn't that exciting on baycode, since the asteroid didn't have any monsters, but piloting a mech still felt like the best thing in the world. Ripley will always have a special place in my heart. I think we need to make some changes to make Ripley great again.

I think what it needs most is a kinetic accelerator. It would make fighting lavaland monsters less of a pain in the ass.
Bring back papercult.

InsaneHyena

Re: Kinetic accelerator for Ripley

Post by InsaneHyena » #297370

Spoiler:
Ripley is a cute. Cute!
Bring back papercult.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #297380

There already is a ka addon I think
InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #297382

Really? What are the requirements?
Bring back papercult.

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #297390

I was half right.

No ka addin, but a giant plasma cutter addon

Eng 3 mats 3 plas 4
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #297391

No thanks.

Keep the utility mech for utility.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #297394

>make it fast as fuck on lavaland
>give it fast 3x1 drill that auto pickups ore
>normal variant made immune to ash storms
>firefighter variant made immune to lava as well

>not intended for mining
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #297396

I fell for the bait
D&B

Post by D&B » #297433

Yeah, it has all that because it is meant to mine.

Giving it a module exclusively to fight shit makes it combat oriented. This not even accounting for how broken it would be on station.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #297446

D&B wrote:Yeah, it has all that because it is meant to mine.

Giving it a module exclusively to fight shit makes it combat oriented. This not even accounting for how broken it would be on station.
No it doesn't because the ripley has the lowest health and deflect chance of all the mechs*

*most likely i spent way too long searching for the ripley ka and i will not be codediving again
D&B

Post by D&B » #297449

When you move as fast as a miner in lavaland, reflect chance doesn't matter. Giving them ka would just make them a cheap mass produce extra health bar.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #297463

InsaneHyena wrote:It's less mobile, it doesn't have a ranged option, it needs charging, repairing a mech is more difficult than healing yourself, and most importantly, you have to bug science to make it.
Responses in order:
1. Strafing mode + Faster in low pressure. 2. Plasma cutter. 3. Well, it IS a mech; Make sure you have at least a super-cap installed. 4. A fair point, but repair droids do help. 5.You have access to their channel, and you bring them minerals; Ask for a mech and tell them to put a plasma cutter on it; The Robo/RD will do it if he has some sense.

EDIT:
Get yourself a plasma cutter and learn how to handle Strafing mode properly, and you will DESTROY the roid. You have several advantages: Immune to tentacle rape (Goliath), Watcher beams, Ash Storms, Lava (Firefighter only), and Ash Drake 4-way fire breath.

Given that you did not know that Ripley had access to a plasma cutter, I strongly urge you to try it out one round. Clear out an area and you can take down an Ash Drake in one (I tested this on a local server, but I do not ever seem to get the chance live).
Last edited by Gun Hog on Tue May 23, 2017 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #297465

>you finally get out there with your cool ass ripley

>your fellow miner flies past you in drake armor with his double plasma cutter flying through the map

sigh
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #297467

Armhulen wrote:>you finally get out there with your cool ass ripley

>your fellow miner flies past you in drake armor with his double plasma cutter flying through the map

sigh
WELP.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #297468

Just let the Ripley KA have way more mods, like a 300 capacity for them and some unique ones such as an ore vaccum or knockback on hit. Your buddy in the lavaland gear might be able to run real fast but he can't do some of the stuff you can!
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #297470

Sometimes you write the stupidest shit and I worry because I can't figure out if you're being ironic or not.
Spoiler:
fuck you
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #297473

Says the man who believes that giving a Ripley a KA module suddenly turns it into a combat mech and that there possibly being people actually using it is bad.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #297475

But the Ripley's been buffed, in many ways it is better than being non meched, and it does its job (mining) just fine.

But apparently I'm in the wrong because adding a 300 module space ka to a Ripley's will apparently not make it imba as fuck. Sure
Spoiler:
fuck you
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #297477

If it's as good as you say, why does nobody ever use them? Ripleys are god fucking awful at combat, and combat is a fact of life on lavaland that you inevitably encounter when mining. Every time you get in a fight you have to hop out of your mech and fight whatever it is off by hand, or you have to terribly fight while in the mech. Either way your mech takes an assload of damage and you have to fix it, and that's if it doesn't get totally scrapped because you had the misfortune of running into a legion tendril.

A Ripley needs a serious edge given to it if they want to be relevant at all, otherwise they'll continue to never be used.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #297494

You being bad at handling a Ripley doesn't mean they need a buff. They're pretty strong with the plasma cutter, and the only thing that can give you trouble at all are legions.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #297496

@ShadowDimentio, have you used a Ripley equipped with a plasma cutter? They have the same damage as a KA but at longer range. Are you saying that the Ripley, being only one speed level slower than a human (in low pressure), immunity to ash, tentacles, freeze bolts, and fire breath, are awful at combat? I myself find Ripleys quite decent at fighting. They even hold their own against Drakes, especially when the cutter can clear the path ahead to allow you to continue moving. It takes some skill with toggling strafing mode, but once you master it, you will be quite well off. I have even managed to take down tendrils and loot the crates 1-2 seconds before a chasm forms.

Ripleys are clunky to use at times, but the are certainly not awful. You MUST install a plasma cutter else your Ripley WILL be awful. As to your original question, I am thinking that "no one" uses them because like the OP, not that many miners have given them much consideration. The OP himself did not know that there was a ranged option for the Ripley! Also, the Ripley is not roundstart gear, it requires a moderate effort on the part of a Roboticist, and people in this game not in the same department/team tend not to like relying on each other.

It is because a miner would have to wait several minutes for a Robo to answer the call and construct the mech. By the time the Robo finishes the mech, the other miners will have returned with the first haul. So, TL;DR: Miners rarely think about a Ripley, and the ones that do have to wait too long to get one.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #297505

i like adding a ka with 300 modding cap idea
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #297526

Armhulen wrote:i like adding a ka with 300 modding cap idea
300 modding cap would make it possible to have it do 150 damage. No, just no. The plasma cutter is fine, I got my first megafauna kill thanks to a firefighter ripley.
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #297531

That's it. I'm sick of all this "dual-wielding plasma cutters" bullshit that's going on in the /tg/ system right now. Ripleys deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine Ripley on Boxstation for 2,400,000 credits (that's about 500 plasma sheets) and have been practising with it for almost 2 minutes now. I can even cut slabs of solid rock with my Ripley.
Roboticists spend years working on a single Ripley and weld it up to a million times to produce the finest mechs known to mankind.
Ripleys are thrice as fast as plasma cutter miners and thrice as hard too. Anything a plasma cutter can cut through, a Ripley can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a Ripley could easily bisect a miner wearing full drake armour with a simple vertical drill.
Ever wonder why the Syndicate never bothered conquering the station? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Roboticists and their Ripleys of destruction. Even in War Ops, the ops targeted the men with the Ripleys first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Ripleys are simply the best mech the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the /tg/ system.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #297551

factoryman942 wrote:That's it. I'm sick of all this "dual-wielding plasma cutters" bullshit that's going on in the /tg/ system right now. Ripleys deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine Ripley on Boxstation for 2,400,000 credits (that's about 500 plasma sheets) and have been practising with it for almost 2 minutes now. I can even cut slabs of solid rock with my Ripley.
Roboticists spend years working on a single Ripley and weld it up to a million times to produce the finest mechs known to mankind.
Ripleys are thrice as fast as plasma cutter miners and thrice as hard too. Anything a plasma cutter can cut through, a Ripley can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a Ripley could easily bisect a miner wearing full drake armour with a simple vertical drill.
Ever wonder why the Syndicate never bothered conquering the station? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Roboticists and their Ripleys of destruction. Even in War Ops, the ops targeted the men with the Ripleys first because their killing power was feared and respected.
So what am I saying? Ripleys are simply the best mech the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the /tg/ system.
Katana attachment for Ripley's 2017.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #297710

Ripleys are better on station because they can haul cargo and use an RCD attatchment.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #298024

Dr_bee wrote:
Armhulen wrote:i like adding a ka with 300 modding cap idea
300 modding cap would make it possible to have it do 150 damage. No, just no. The plasma cutter is fine, I got my first megafauna kill thanks to a firefighter ripley.
Quick someone look up how much a meatshot with a mech shotgun does.

I looked it up myself and supposedly the mech scattergun fires 40 pellets that deal 20 brute and 65 stamina each, so in a theoretically perfect shot you could deal 800 damage in one shot.

The mech scattergun also doesn't require perfect aim, a shitload of time spent gathering 10 damage modules doing mining or R&D, or a vaccum to deal all that damage.

So yeah my idea is fair and balanced and should be merged ASAP

:^)
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #298028

Just because mech numbers are a mess and not maintained doesn't mean more broken shit should be added. Keep your shitposts in the hut please.
Last edited by D&B on Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
fuck you
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #298029

D&B wrote:Just because nech numbers are a mess and not maintained doesn't mean more broken shit should be added. Keep your shitposts in the hut please.
hahahah nibba please nech numbers hahaha hooo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #298030

D&B wrote:Just because nech numbers are a mess and not maintained doesn't mean more broken shit should be added. Keep your shitposts in the hut please.
okay serious reply this isn't broken shit, mining can get wayyyyyyyy more in the time you spend getting a mech. the massive amount of time and resources put into just never pays off
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #298032

Yeah, in the time it'd take you to get a mech and the KA fully modded your fellow miners will have fully kitted themselves out too in crazy gear that you can't use at all. In many regards a Ripley miner will be inferior to a regular one, but they'll be fucking godlike at mining and structured combat against AI in their mech.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
D&B

Post by D&B » #298046

>300 module space
>Stack 3 cooldown, 3 range and rest damage
>Make a one shotter with huge range.
>This is in addition to the person sitting inside
>And non accounting for the self repair module

As soon as the first back is done you can get miners and the mech fully modded. The ones that become God like as you so say are also the ones that spend the most time in lavaland working to get the drops. Pushing an utility mech into combat territory under the guise of "it'll always be inferior to normal miners!" Is factually false when Ripley's by themselves have a lot of advantages above miners and have been buffed recently to not be shit.
Spoiler:
fuck you
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #298081

if repukan says a mining buff is too overpowered, it must be pretty fucking broken
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #298812

Mechs aught to be able to turn so they can shoot in a wider radius, even while in strafe mode. Here's a mock up quickly made of a mech turning its upper half on a 180% radius.
Its shitty, but sidesprites for mechs weren't art in the first place especially with wonky angles like this.
Its shitty, but sidesprites for mechs weren't art in the first place especially with wonky angles like this.
Mech southeast.dmi (548 Bytes) Viewed 8413 times

Spoiler:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #298828

I feel that would make them more difficult to use. This would be great for players with a controller sporting at least two directional button sets/sticks, but rather clunky for a keyboard and mouse user (which would be nearly all of us). What buttons would you use to turn the mech's torso? Would it be a torso/legs toggle instead? Or, would the mech's torso turn automatically based on where you are shooting?
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #298847

Gun Hog wrote:I feel that would make them more difficult to use. This would be great for players with a controller sporting at least two directional button sets/sticks, but rather clunky for a keyboard and mouse user (which would be nearly all of us). What buttons would you use to turn the mech's torso? Would it be a torso/legs toggle instead? Or, would the mech's torso turn automatically based on where you are shooting?
One thought was to have the fire key be completely seperate to where the mech is clicking with the current active module, with hotkeys it would be a lot like throwing with a keyclick to shift between the two but continues to fire until the fire mode key is disabled, wherever you click your mech will snap to that broad direction and your firing range adjusts.

Obviously through UI buttons its a little more convoluted unless you put explicit mech button verbs & modes to the side

- One suggestion is to replace the activehands of the user UI at the bottom for the firing/moving mode, so that they can cycle & activate them with our existing hand verbs.

- There's also the possibility of using mekhis dragging clicks or mouse tracking in order to have the mech automatically follow your mouse (in which case you can then verb out of that preference) in order to move, turn & shoot at the same time.

Spoiler: