Cult Rounds Only Trigger If There Are Three+ Security Person

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Cult Rounds Only Trigger If There Are Three+ Security Person

Post by Steelpoint » #298696

One man in security versing a entire cult is a majority of the time a one sided affair. No security is essentially a cult win with no counterplay. There's no way to get reinforcements and you are out of luck as you have to fight an entire cult by yourself by the time you discover it 25 minutes into the round when the AI is subverted and you were busy arresting greytiders killing each other, lord help you if you're a security officer with no access.

It just turns the round into a unfun, unfair, affair. For security it feels like a personal hell, for the crew it feels unfair and for the cult it just gets boring.

My suggestion is that if there is less than three, or so, security personnel (HoS, Warden, Detective, Sec Officer) than a cult round (Clock and Blood) will not occur, however the round start type will still display those rounds as possibilities to avoid meta to an extent.

Without security in a cult round, there's no real counterplay. It becomes a 30 minute match of watching the cultists kill anyone they see and win.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Cult Rounds Only Trigger If There Are Three+ Security Pe

Post by CPTANT » #298701

Losing is part of the game.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #298702

Losing is part of the game.

But having a entire game mode and thirty+ minutes of your time go to group antagonist that cannot be defeated is bad gameplay.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #298704

Personally I feel one of the biggest problems is the lack of incentive for the crew to fight the cult.

Why fight the cult when you can get "accidentally" converted and get to be an antag?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #298707

Biggest issue with fighting the cult with no security is organizing yourselves, the very nature of the cult makes it that unless you have chapel, security and cargo access you can't really tell a cultist apart from a non-cultist.

There are a lot of hurdles you need to pass to start setting up to fight a cult. Security and the Captain start in a good position as they have not only the innate trust that they are all not cultists, but they have the tools, or access to get the tools, to start fighting the cult.

The regular crew are all over the place, they lack the trust, and they lack the effective tools and higher coordination. They can organise themselves but its a much taller order to accomplish with many things needing to turn our right.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #298785

CPTANT wrote:Losing is part of the game.

>Its the "lol just play the shitty game mode, die, and dont enjoy it you pussy" argument again
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #298786

I would rather Sec be prioritized roles like heads are, where if your prefs are set to at least "Low" you have a strong chance of being Sec if there are not enough players. I absolutely do not want to lose out on cult rolls because of insufficient Sec. I would rather we have Steelpoint's Robustin's reinforcement Security thing revived, even if the thing is on requests consoles instead of communications consoles. Even scale back the starting cultist counts similar to Rev, but absolutely do not deny us round types!

Is there a way to make Security more attractive to play without buffing them in combat, or nerfing antags to create the same effect, while also not denying us game-modes?
Last edited by Gun Hog on Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #298788

Its Robustin's idea for the security reinforcements, it only got closed because no one merged it after a few days of inactivity, so anyone can still merge it.

In terms of making security more attractive to play, that's a issue we've been trying to resolve for a long time and there's no clear answer.

Could just give one antag token to a player who plays a lot of security rounds to let them have a increased chance of antag status, but that's not only a old idea, but likely a bad one.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #298789

Gun Hog wrote: Is there a way to make Security more attractive to play without buffing them in combat, or nerfing antags to create the same effect, while also not denying us game-modes?
There are currently 4 roundtypes in the game where security is forced to act like Hitler assholes just to not forfeit their round. They don't know they're coming and if they don't find out fast then it's a loss for them with little they can do about it.

Why should I roll the dice and go sec when the odds are stacked heavily that I'll just get stunned and murdered in maintenance​ or lynched 30 minutes in when the entire crew is cult/rev/gang/clock?
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #298808

What if I win :^)
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #298904

Wyzack wrote:
CPTANT wrote:Losing is part of the game.

>Its the "lol just play the shitty game mode, die, and dont enjoy it you pussy" argument again
change the channel this one is old and a shit episode

I think this is worth trying - (to me) it feels like most rounds where there's few people in sec and it rolls cult/etc. are jsut so completely worthless and unfun for anyone who doesn't get converted that this is worth a shot
Limey wrote:its too late.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #299176

Isn't that the problem with cult rounds, that they either wreck everything because there's no opposition, or get steamrolled early and lose? In fact, that's the problem with all team modes, because traitor is the only good mode.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #299379

Fight the cult yourself. Be the hero.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #299414

ShadowDimentio wrote:Fight the cult yourself. Be the hero.
Of course, why hadn't anyone thought of this before? Truly genius

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #299416

Welp, time to close this thread, genius absolute solution.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #299466

once again shadowdimentio doesn't get what the problem is.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #299478

No/minimal sec vs cult remains a literal form of physical cancer, I would honestly be fine with removing clockcult to at least lessen the horror of this issue.
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #299481

Silly thread. I would much rather fight most conversion antags than any traitor/ling round as "Solosec".

Against conversion antags you can flex your robustness. Put the armory in your bag like the end of Hot Fuzz and go postal on the station.

Lowpop traitor? "Lel I ebowed you in a 1x1 corridor of maint while I had thermals on, GG faget"

Other *robust security can testify that cultists/revs/clockies can effectively be fought even when you're badly outnumbered. Hell I'd rather be lowpop sec than "Sec is full of retarded mouthbreathers and so within 10 minutes the enemy has multiple tasers and sec ID's because of people who couldn't robust their way out of a paper bag signing up for security.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #299500

Oldman Robustin wrote: I would much rather fight most conversion antags than any traitor/ling round as "Solosec". Against conversion antags you can flex your robustness. Put the armory in your bag like the end of Hot Fuzz and go postal on the station.y.
That's because you're one of those fucking wierdos who play this game for combat.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #299586

Oldman Robustin wrote:Against conversion antags you can flex your robustness. Put the armory in your bag like the end of Hot Fuzz and go postal on the station.
okay but you're like in the massive minority here

most of us don't find cult vs no sec to be fun
Limey wrote:its too late.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #299625

Oldman Robustin wrote:Silly thread. I would much rather fight most conversion antags than any traitor/ling round as "Solosec".

Against conversion antags you can flex your robustness. Put the armory in your bag like the end of Hot Fuzz and go postal on the station.

Lowpop traitor? "Lel I ebowed you in a 1x1 corridor of maint while I had thermals on, GG faget"

Other *robust security can testify that cultists/revs/clockies can effectively be fought even when you're badly outnumbered. Hell I'd rather be lowpop sec than "Sec is full of retarded mouthbreathers and so within 10 minutes the enemy has multiple tasers and sec ID's because of people who couldn't robust their way out of a paper bag signing up for security.
Stop posting and quit the server you incredibly stupid tedious little faggot
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #299632

kevinz000 wrote:
once again shadowdimentio doesn't get what the problem is.
Oh I know what the problem is, the problem is that antags are hilariously powerful compared to regular crew, and sec are the only ones able to compete with them on the same level, and without enough sec the crew will almost certainly get dunked.

The solution is to fight the cult yourself. You'll probably lose eventually, but before that you'll take several cultists with you and have fun. Some of my best rounds have been me playing mime or clown and beating some absurdly powerful antags by simply outplaying them.

So yeah, just be the hero. You might not win but you'll have great fun.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #299641

Oldman Robustin wrote:Silly thread. I would much rather fight most conversion antags than any traitor/ling round as "Solosec".

Beating half the server is not difficult but still, it remains that without any conflicting force to oppose the cult in a widespread fashion in is dull and boring. It becomes a waiting game rather than a paranoia laddled anxiety attack of "will sec save me, kill me, or will the cult do it first?"
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #299643

I agree that not having sec makes ANY round a very one-sided fare, but that's just life sometimes and limiting the round variety to how many people want to subject themselves to sec is a terrible idea, especially when sec populations are usually sparse at best and number of heads does not a robust sec department make. After all, it's not like traitor rounds are any more fun or less unfair with no sec than cult or any other round.

So, the only solution is to fight the antags yourself, have fun, and be a hero.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #299646

itt shadowdimentio promotes validhunting to a higher degree than what we already have.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #299666

False, it's the exact degree we already have.

Also congratulations your arguments have successfully degenerated so far that you now equate fighting antags (when no sec are around) with validhunting.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #302165

imo, sec's sway on the round (especially if its just three officers) is overestimated
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: