The test for ling.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

The test for ling.

Post by Lumbermancer » #299865

Every time a ling uses his steng or proboscis, it leaves behind a trace amounts of unique enzyme in the body of the victim. It doesn't stay for long, and will dissipate eventually. But if you manage to take a blood sample before that happens, and scan it with detectives scanner (the enzymes will disappear even when in syringe or beaker), you can isolate the enzyme. Upon printing the scanners readout, a special sample item will pop out with that specific enzyme code.

Now let's say you caught a person you suspect is a ling, you can then take his blood sample, scan it with scanner, then take the enzyme sample you got earlier, scan it too, and if your guy is the ling (specific ling that you got enzyme from), you will get a match.
Spoiler:
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Re: The test for ling.

Post by Luke Cox » #299873

Clicked on this thread ready to reeee out about how lings are supposed to be difficult to detect, but this is actually pretty reasonable.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #299933

The enzyme should be single use only and you can only ever get one from a corpse.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #299940

It would counter random cryo and transform stings.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #300264

Heating their blood should make it scream like the frog does.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #300283

Just make heating their blood scream like in the move, lings are already fucking awful to capture they don't need to also be undetectable.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #300323

It would be too easy to powergame.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #300325

Lumbermancer have you ever tried catching a ling as sec? They laugh off everything you throw at them-- damage, stuns, restraints, everything, and that's when you somehow manage to catch and attack them before they hide, change faces and walk away.

If you've somehow managed to grab a ling and don't know for certain they are one you should absolutely be able to easily test them because that ling has fucked up catastrophically to manage to get caught.

Lings have no weaknesses, this would at least make sec's life marginally easier.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #300327

Get good?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #300331

>Huge armor
>Spaceproof
>Regenerates everything
>Ignores stuns
>Shapeshifts
>Can use guns
>Arm turns into an esword
>Melts restrains
>EMP burst
>Has 2-3 friends
>Self-revives
>Undetectable

>Just git gud lmao

Go fuck yourself, lings are bullshit and everyone knows it.

Just to jog your nog, here's a comparison between ling (a "team" antag there are 2-4 of in their round) and wizard (a solo antag with 1 of in their round).
ShadowDimentio wrote:>AoE attacks
>EMP bursts
>Crazy damage
>Self-healing
>Revives from death at practically no penalty
>Impossible to hold down
Spoiler:
>Loud as fuck
>One decent shot and they're dead
>There's one of them
>AoE attacks
>EMP bursts
>Crazy damage
>Self-healing
>Revives from death at practically no penalty
>Impossible to hold down
Spoiler:
>Impossible to track unless they fuck up catastrophically
>Ten decent shots and they escape anyways
>There's 2-4 of them
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #300340

The two shrieks, tentacle and arm blade are basically the GG no re time to get fucked combo.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #300511

If you think Lings are too strong, then nerf them directly. Arms race is a bad design.
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #301497

I really liked the PR that made ling blood smoke acridly or whatever when heated.
Too bad it led to extreme metagaming where sec and/or the captain would demand blood from all crewmembers at roundstart.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)