Remove Greentext

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Remove Greentext

Post by Dr_bee » #304697

Look, one of the biggest problems with /tg/ is this idea that security and and antags need to "win" the round. It doesnt matter if there was a good story or not it just matters that my side "won." To be perfectly honest this gets in the way of good roleplay, as security has to be hard-asses about any traitorous activity if they want to "win" and traitors cant run gimmicks because of this culture of "gotta get dat greentext" or "gotta deny dat greentext."

My suggestion would be to simply no longer track objectives at the round end screen. You see who is a traitor, what they bought, and thats it, no location or status of the traitor and no greentext to gloat about.

this would only really apply to traitor and traitor/lings but still. It may tone down the level of power-gaming on both sides if rolling traitor was just an open ended license to griff and shutting them down as security if they are harmless does literally nothing but make the round boring. no green-text denial to make you feel good about yourself.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Remove Greentext

Post by PKPenguin321 » #304699

Discussion has been had before, and it boils down to:

Pros:
No more GOTTA GET THAT GREEN/REDTEXT

Cons:
No more oriented goals for antagonists, leading to even more LOL RANDOM MURDER
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #304700

Solves nothing, very very shortsighted and ill informed viewpoint of the problems with the game.

D, see me after class.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #304702

PKPenguin321 wrote:Discussion has been had before, and it boils down to:

Pros:

Cons:
Well I am not suggesting we get rid of giving them goals to begin with, just have them be the reason why they were sent there as a roleplay prompt.

and there is literally nothing stopping traitors from LOL RANDOM MURDER now, Traitor is a free licence to griff. The problem is how that griff is done is somewhat limited by need to win.

We may get more random murder, but it quite possibly could be creative, more gimmicky murder. Basically give some breathing room for gimmicks.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #304704

captain sawrge wrote:Solves nothing, very very shortsighted and ill informed viewpoint of the problems with the game.

D, see me after class.
What does greentext add to the game right now sawrge besides justification for shitty behavior?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #304705

Dr_bee wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
Well I am not suggesting we get rid of giving them goals to begin with, just have them be the reason why they were sent there as a roleplay prompt.

and there is literally nothing stopping traitors from LOL RANDOM MURDER now, Traitor is a free licence to griff. The problem is how that griff is done is somewhat limited by need to win.

We may get more random murder, but it quite possibly could be creative, more gimmicky murder. Basically give some breathing room for gimmicks.
On the other hand, there is literally nothing stopping traitors from ignoring their objectives and doing gimmicks as it is.
Spoiler:
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #304712

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

On the other hand, there is literally nothing stopping traitors from ignoring their objectives and doing gimmicks as it is.
Except the glaring incentive for security to shit on them for being antagonists just because they are antagonists and not because they have killed anyone or something.

The only thing I can think of to change that behavior outside of admins actually enforcing some sort of "Space Law" (which we know is a bad idea) is to remove the incentive for sec to blanket murder/perma traitors for being traitors instead of treating the crimes they commit like crimes. If the only thing they get out of permaing a traitor who was only caught with non-lethal contraband is a more boring round, maybe they will stop it.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #304713

Dr_bee wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

Except the glaring incentive for security to shit on them for being antagonists just because they are antagonists and not because they have killed anyone or something.
in what way does removing greentext fix this
Spoiler:
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #304714

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

in what way does removing greentext fix this
It gives them nothing extra for doing it, which is the only thing I can think to do about it outside of policy changes
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #304874

I'd think they can get "soft" objectives (Do you feel like you've accomplished this? Do you feel like you've met expectations? For more simple things we can have code to track how well they did it.) instead of "hard" objectives (WIN/LOSS BINARY).
Better than no objectives at all which would, like PK said, probably lead to "LOL LICENSE TO GRIEF TIME TO REMOVE EVERYONE FROM THE ROUND!!"
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #304881

Dude if I kill an antagonist as security it's not because of cucking them out of greentext, it's because they're a threat to the station and they need to die for whatever crimes they've done, if none then I perma them or tracker/chem/release.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #304885

kevinz000 wrote:I'd think they can get "soft" objectives (Do you feel like you've accomplished this? Do you feel like you've met expectations? For more simple things we can have code to track how well they did it.) instead of "hard" objectives (WIN/LOSS BINARY).
Better than no objectives at all which would, like PK said, probably lead to "LOL LICENSE TO GRIEF TIME TO REMOVE EVERYONE FROM THE ROUND!!"
That is what I am going for, use objectives as a roleplay prompt and not something to gloat over.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #304922

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #304933

What a stupid fucking idea

Peoole like you should be put in a porta potty and rolled down a steep incline.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #305009

Super Aggro Crag wrote:What a stupid fucking idea

Peoole like you should be put in a porta potty and rolled down a steep incline.
What a completely useless post.

Maybe tell me why it is such a bad idea and change my mind about it instead.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #305020

A good portion of tators/lings ignore objectives and just murderbone/do random cuck shit anyway.

The only time having objectives isn't is the (relatively) small group of players that will do their objective with zero player interaction then braindead/do nothing else antagonistic for the rest of the round.

Murderboning memesters are far worse than afking plebs - and if you don't have some sort of objective you're left with just doing random shit to amuse yourself, which for an alarming number of players, is shitting on everyone else as hard as possible.
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #305021

Half the time as a tator I just ignore my objective and fuck about. Even doing stuff like emagging all doors or fucking with people in (NON EROTIC) ways that would otherwise get me banned.

Greentext is only as valuable as you make it.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #305176

Greentext is a fun way for new players to get direction and rewarding feeling of success
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #305195

BeeSting12 wrote:Dude if I kill an antagonist as security it's not because of cucking them out of greentext, it's because they're a threat to the station and they need to die for whatever crimes they've done, if none then I perma them or tracker/chem/release.

To add to this, security needs to kill known antagonists for the meta reason that they know these players have free reign to kill whomever they want. Failing in this regard opens you up to getting shit on in OOC/having admins mock you through CentComm announcements. This is all a systemic problem with no easy solution.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #305198

Nobody really cares about greentext, though.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #305207

Make the actual objectives hidden only to the player, just display if the Traitor succeeded in finishing all their objectives.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #305214

Steelpoint wrote:Make the actual objectives hidden only to the player, just display if the Traitor succeeded in finishing all their objectives.
fixes literally nothing
Lumbermancer wrote:Nobody really cares about greentext, though.
Armhulen wrote:Greentext is a fun way for new players to get direction and rewarding feeling of success
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #305215

You're implying there's anything to fix.

I really don't think anything needs changing, my suggestion is a minor off the cuff one.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #305218

Steelpoint wrote:You're implying there's anything to fix.

I really don't think anything needs changing, my suggestion is a minor off the cuff one.
Good! We should keep greentext.
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

Post by Smoopadoop » #305695

If you're looking for roleplay prompt objectives, how about:

You are a traitor!
You have been deployed to the station with orders to [objective goes here]
With the possible objectives being:
  • Ruin the station's power supply, disrupting their mission.
  • Cause unrest among the crew, undermining their trust in authority.
  • Evacuate the station, and [do something] once the crew has escaped.
  • Take control of the station by any means (take captaincy, political coup, etc) and [do something].
  • Make a statement, and make sure the crew hears it.
  • Release a sickness among the crew.
  • [do something bad], prompting the crew to take the shuttle. Once on it, change its route to the syndicate HQ.
  • Get away with as much valuable items as you can.
  • Convince the crew that [crewmember] is out to get them.
  • Stop the station from fulfilling their mission
  • idk man there's a lot of shit you could do, get creative
They aren't so rigid like our current objectives. I feel there's a lot more room for gimmick or rp or whatever you want.
I also agree with "softer objectives" (do you feel you have fulfilled your duty, etc etc)
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)