Ability to dissasemble the floor

A place to record your ideas for the game.
burts
Byond Username: Burts

Ability to dissasemble the floor

Post by burts » #308246

So, we can pretty much manually construct and deconstruct everything in this game. From walls to machines to piping to computers. All can be manually deconstructed or constructed.

Except one thing, and that is the floor. Outside of RCDs, borgs, bombs and really hot fires and emmaged floor bots theres no manual way to remove the floor. Why is this a thing? Considering how piss easy it is to build lattice + floor tiles it really shouldn't be a big balance issue. Make it a long process similar to dissasembling a r-wall. There's really no reason to not be able to dissasemble the floor.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Ability to dissasemble the floor

Post by CPTANT » #308283

burts wrote:So, we can pretty much manually construct and deconstruct everything in this game. From walls to machines to piping to computers. All can be manually deconstructed or constructed.

Except one thing, and that is the floor. Outside of RCDs, borgs, bombs and really hot fires and emmaged floor bots theres no manual way to remove the floor. Why is this a thing? Considering how piss easy it is to build lattice + floor tiles it really shouldn't be a big balance issue. Make it a long process similar to dissasembling a r-wall. There's really no reason to not be able to dissasemble the floor.
It is pretty random yes that an RCD does it in seconds.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #308286

The reason put out in the past is balance- if all it took to disassemble the floor was common tools, it would be very easy to create a hole to space, which is very problematic.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #308287

burts i missed you so much
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #308292

Drynwyn wrote:The reason put out in the past is balance- if all it took to disassemble the floor was common tools, it would be very easy to create a hole to space, which is very problematic.

If it takes a while it would be ok.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #308297

you rarely need to decon a floor and those who do likely can get their hands on an rcd so its fine
burts
Byond Username: Burts

Post by burts » #308315

Drynwyn wrote:The reason put out in the past is balance- if all it took to disassemble the floor was common tools, it would be very easy to create a hole to space, which is very problematic.

Really? It's piss easy to fix a hole like that, it literally takes 1 second to use rods + floor tile and you are done. If we go by the idea that dissasembling a floor tile would still leave the lattice intact, only a crowbar is needed to pry off a neighbouring tile and seal the breach.

You can always make it take alot of time with many steps, perhaps even more than a R-WALL, and require it to use the welding tool 3-4 times so you cant really do it without a welding helmet. I really dont see the issue here.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #308332

How about no...
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #308333

burts wrote:

Really? It's piss easy to fix a hole like that, it literally takes 1 second to use rods + floor tile and you are done. If we go by the idea that dissasembling a floor tile would still leave the lattice intact, only a crowbar is needed to pry off a neighbouring tile and seal the breach.

You can always make it take alot of time with many steps, perhaps even more than a R-WALL, and require it to use the welding tool 3-4 times so you cant really do it without a welding helmet. I really dont see the issue here.
Air is harder to fix, one single hole could make a room unusable without hardsuit until someone brings a canister, while also venting all the items into the hole making a huge mess.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #308337

XDTM wrote:
burts wrote:

Air is harder to fix, one single hole could make a room unusable without hardsuit until someone brings a canister, while also venting all the items into the hole making a huge mess.
But you can also just smash a single window that is exposed to space and have the same effect.
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #308345

CPTANT wrote:
XDTM wrote:
burts wrote:

But you can also just smash a single window that is exposed to space and have the same effect.
Every room has a floor (literally, by definition), while very few rooms have windows to space.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #308471

Shaps-cloud wrote:
CPTANT wrote:
XDTM wrote:
burts wrote:

Every room has a floor (literally, by definition), while very few rooms have windows to space.
Uhm that's not really true, there are lot's of windows to space. And you can do the same with walls, which are connected to space even more, and all you need is a welder.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #308512

Would it be possible to make it so that removing a floor manually would require the room to already be depressurized? It might prevent people from just doing it to create hull beaches and it'd kinds of make sense from a realism standpoint since I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to rip up a floor tile if there was a vacuum holding it in place.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #308545

Get a RCD.

Though I suppose maybe this could work if it took like 15 seconds to weld the floor open.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz