PDA refactor & merging with tablets

A place to record your ideas for the game.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

PDA refactor & merging with tablets

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308795

Essentially this idea thread addresses that PDA's & Tablets become one and the same item with some noticable differences but essentially equal.

While PDA's might receive substantial UI upgrades from the merge, Tablets are to be the more multi-functional PDA's with a caveat of having data & power limitations in order to equalise being able to run multiple PDA cards at once as well as additional functions to existing PDA card programmes.

The data chips are to be the foundation of how the tablets obtain their programmes to run, as regular PDA's have more generic PDA functions than a tablet computer, but tablets can take & retain the programmes they download as long as there is enough memory space to download each application contained within a cartridge. (For instance you might want 1 particular function of a cartridge)
  • For instance a detective PDA card will cover some of the functions of a regular PDA that the tablet does not have, such a the note maker function, a transcription app that works in the background (you can leave it on if you dont mind burning power to snoop) as well as the usual functions of a medical examiner that with the tablet gives a full health doll as to inspect areas of the body, doctors also get a similar function to their health scanner.
Having multiple programmes open at once will deplete the power of the tablet much quicker than a singular one, even though it self regenerates at a slow rate meaning for single programme tablets, they essentially are equal to PDA's as long as they are periodically turned off but on heavily intense tablets they might deplete rapidly.

Therefore there's a reasonable incentive if you want to get more programmes to contact the HOP who is given a significant buff by access to the cartridge vendor. Some people might argue that having a tablet is op powercreep, but aren't you in a cinch when a PDA has all the supplies to nessecary survival & function without worrying about batteries (unlimited flashlight, messaging, notetaking & the singular PDA card functions)
Last edited by FantasticFwoosh on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: PDA refactor & merging with tablets

Post by Steelpoint » #308798

I'm half certain that Tablets are intended eventually to replace PDA's, but they are just a very long work in progress so currently they are just offered to a few roles as a ancillary device.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308799

Like tatoo's turning into catgirls but never actually arriving with the original project because the maintainers/lead coder ducked out of it leaving a pretty bad feature nobody wants to fix.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #308800

Difference is we won't have people rioting over Tablets like they do over Cat People.

Tablets are fine as is, they already have some good functions such as the Alarm program.

Also several computers use the same function, like some bridge consoles or the Power Monitors in engineering. This is a feature that is going to stay irrespective.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308806

As someone not really convinced by the system, it does sound like you're just tolerating it off a number of virtues when it's been poorly received generally by, the current extent of the playerbase. (*more citational data needed but personally i've seen a poor response, and the efforts to lower collateration damage by projecting hype around the system reveals a lot)

I want to achieve with this idea that tablets are actually used irrespective of whether you have a PDA main or not (because really you can just carry another PDA in game already, but a Tablet with your stuff on it is going to run out of power as opposed to 3 seperate PDA's) for all station roles rather than a select group of people who benefit from unique programmes.

I want to appeal to Average Joey Greytide, Stuttering Nurse Sarah, Atmospheric Amon, Willy warden, Bible bashing billy and even little Timmy Traitor. Everyone should get the opportunity to butt-in on Tablets if they are made half useful but also a fair 'alternative' to PDA's without being a obnoxious publicity stunt.

Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308835

I made some suggestions in the shitty ideas thread on how to make use of tablets. I actually came up with the same idea of using PDA cartridges to load job-specific programs. Like security officers being able to use their tablets to remotely access sec records (maybe read-only for the common officer but potentially giving Warden/HoS/Captain a version of the program that lets them alter the records on the go). The HoP can already use his tablet as a mobile ID console and the RD can use theirs as a portable AI integrity restorer.

I really think lathe's ought to be able to print off common upgrades for tablets with R&D able to import more powerful designs to it (like a stronger flashlight LED, greater capacity power cell, netowrk cards with faster download speeds and so on). Plus I think maintenance should rarely have (and cargo ought to be able to buy a contraband crate of) cartridges that have some illicit software on them. Like the syndie DDOS program or trojans with various utility, like - Remotely accessing someone else's tablet, being able to use their credentials, steal programs/files and even being able to bug their tablet (if they have a camera installed on their tablet so you'd be able to track your target by their tablet).
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308845

I saw, that's what lit my fuse to act on the topic actually

There are already PDA cartridges as loot in maint to pick up, some of them more useful than others but with tablets & a extended list of detailed apps per cartridge it could be very useful. The system im suggesting means you could have both or none, pop out your card from your PDA and download additional application programmes into your tablet or ask the HOP to do it for you at the desk.

Tablets and bot tracking having map UI locators, health scanners having dolls, science reagent scanners & analysers telling you the description of the reagent & additional data similar to a chem master etc.

Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308871

New suggestion: Handcrank power cell charger in emergency toolboxes.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #308883

Please get rid of the download and file manager.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Segmented
Byond Username: SegmentedOdin

Post by Segmented » #308886

What is even the point of the file transfer system? So you can send the exact same programs they can already download to someone?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308909

File transfer system would actually be useful if it was incorporated via note-keeper already installed on the PDA.

- Pop a generic PDA cartridge into the Tablet, download note keeper, now you can transfer notes peer to peer sort of like sending images attached to messages with PDA.

Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #308913

I would use a damn tablet as an engineer if all the programs on it were workable. Finding out that the power monitor program doesnt work on a tablet made me toss the damn thing in the trash the moment I found out.

It is probably the one useful program on there at the moment, and it doesnt work.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #308915

If any of this goes anywhere, you could use it to transfer job programs. I did make a suggestion of being able to store a bank balance associated with your ID on a tablet and you could potentially send somebody some money. I know we don't have an economy but I think it's a flavourful feature.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #308923

[d][e][a] thread

I've got an idea for your fwoosh, learn to code so you actually get things done
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #308959

There's a code freeze silly fruit. Also i don't have the experience to do this category of change and im waiting for other things to fall into place between spriting like a maniac.

Spoiler:
christ110
Byond Username: Christ110

Post by christ110 » #309008

its a pseudo freeze, its a freeze on antag content. stuff for non-antags that can be used for reasons other than hunting/killing antags are allowed. this falls outside the limits of the content frozen by the freeze.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #309107

Im aware but im still taking a break from coding until it passes, back onto the topic do either of you actually have any thoughts about the idea or are you just here to talk about my actions outside of it.

Spoiler: