A different engine for each map

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Your oppinion (this excludes solars)

Have a different engine for each map
No votes
Have the same engine for each map
No votes
Have the same engine on most maps, but allow some maps to have different engines
No votes
Let the CE or engineers choose it somehow, give them a blank canvas and materials
No votes
Let the CE or engineers choose it somehow, send the whole engine to them
67%
Maps spawn with a random engine
No votes
Maps spawn with an engine based on a CE or engineers preference
33%

Total votes: 3

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: A different engine for each map

Post by CPTANT » #310699

Bottom post of the previous page:

ohnopigeons wrote:
CPTANT wrote:I don't know what happened to that engine and whether it was a fluke or if it was logical, but pretending the sing didn't get released all the time from stupid shit happening is just dishonest.
There is a difference between "stupid shit" and "arbitrary unpredictable mechanics", do I really need to have to spell it out for you?
What arbitrary unpredictable mechanics? If it gets hot it delaminates, if it gets overpressurised it delaminates, if it gets hit by objects it delaminates.

If you pump in oxygen, plasma or CO2 it gets hot and powers up.

How fucking hard is it.

Do you think the sm exlodes more often than the sing got loose?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #310702

CPTANT wrote:What arbitrary unpredictable mechanics?
This one
Spoiler:
CPTANT wrote:Do you think the sm exlodes more often than the sing got loose?
I've seen more SM delaminations than I've seen loose singulos.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310703

ohnopigeons wrote:
CPTANT wrote:What arbitrary unpredictable mechanics?
This one
Spoiler:
CPTANT wrote:Do you think the sm exlodes more often than the sing got loose?
I've seen more SM delaminations than I've seen loose singulos.
How am I supposed I tell you what happened to that engine from just a screenshot? It got pretty stupid delamination and like I said the only thing that I can think of that should do that is rapidly hitting the sm with objects. Another thing that should cause very rapid delamination is a low pressure enviroment consisting of solely CO2.

And I call bullshit on the second part and I would love to see the statistics.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #310705

In the screenshot you're supposed to see an instant delamination, so instant the Instability levels jump to absurd levels, which goes completely contrary to the intended design of the Supermatter and arguments made in this thread.

I'd love to see SM statistics too and they've been talked about by coders/admins but for some mysterious reason they've never implemented it.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310708

ohnopigeons wrote:In the screenshot you're supposed to see an instant delamination, so instant the Instability levels jump to absurd levels, which goes completely contrary to the intended design of the Supermatter and arguments made in this thread.

I'd love to see SM statistics too and they've been talked about by coders/admins but for some mysterious reason they've never implemented it.
But you didn't actually see what happened to it?
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #310709

I was literally standing right there in engineering, witnessing another engineer in the SM room who also instantly died. It's right there in the screenshot.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #310710

The only time I've seen the SM glitch like that was when it was in a vacuum
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #310714

Anyways this thread is partially moot now since PubbyStation was affirmed as the singulo map on github yesterday. Maybe someone should add SM vs singulo statistics so there will be more objective argument points in the future.

Technically there are, or were, other engines but I'm not sure they're being maintained, or even if they're still in the code at all.
Last edited by ohnopigeons on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310715

Replicated:

Is indeed caused by supermatter in a vacuum. I destroyed all the floors around the supermatter, turned on the emitters then put one floor back and it jumped to 1000% delamination

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #310749

You know, the Chief Engineer should decide which engine to bluespace onto the station roundstart. And if there's no CE, then it could either be random or just singuloth/SM
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #310817

Armhulen wrote:You know, the Chief Engineer should decide which engine to bluespace onto the station roundstart. And if there's no CE, then it could either be random or just singuloth/SM
:+1:
MollyKristoph
Byond Username: MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #310824

Armhulen wrote:You know, the Chief Engineer should decide which engine to bluespace onto the station roundstart. And if there's no CE, then it could either be random or just singuloth/SM
Muthafukken Armhulen out the gate with a fukken bangin' idea, though I still prefer the weighted random choice idea where the most weight any one engine has is 60%, and the rest filling in from there.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310997

That stuff with the SM in the vacuum is a bug and is being fixed, it's not a mechanic.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #311004

engine should be a pref like maps.
then when the round begins the game gets said pref from engineers (only engineers) + CE, and then uses that as a weighting.

eg: 3 engis and a CE:
E1 = Singulo
E2 = SM
E3 = SM
CE = Tesla
50% for SM, 25% for Singulo, 25% for Tesla.

Given that the CE is just one of a group of people who will work on the engine, this seems fairer than giving just them the decision.
私は完璧
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #311695

that's a pretty interesting idea, actually, not sure how difficult it would be to pull off but it's probably possible
Limey wrote:its too late.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #311763

SIngulo and tesla were made too perfect at round ending glad to see their destruction relegated to a side effect.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #311764

Anonmare wrote:>10 minutes
Only if you suck at sabotage. It's easily possible to overload the SM in such a way as to produce a singularity or a tesla ball in less than ~5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

The SM's stability can be negatively impacted by over-pressurising it, over-charging it, over-heating it and just outright damaging it by tossing stuff into or shooting it.

My personal favourite method is to pipe in CO2, filter out the safety gases, set the alarm to ignore pressure checks and make it impossible for the gases to exit the chamber. Hell you can just pipe in pure plasma and filter out the safe gases and the thing will delaminate faster than you can see "DELAMINATION IMMINENT".
So still 10 minutes, while you risk someone spotting and stopping you during the preparation process, without having any certainty that whatever you do with the pipes will actually work once you do start tampering with it.

No wonder it barely happens.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311776

100% pure plasma at 5000 kPA pressure will delam a roundstart layout engine in less than 5 minutes, and before that it'll shoot out radiation, anomalies and lightning strikes like crazy. Seriously, next time you get antag, have the N2 get dumped out as waste and filter in only plasma. Additionally, hook up some plasma cans or pipe plasma from atmos and watch the engine delam faster than you can say "George Malons griffing me halp".

Sure someone might stop you but if you want to blow up the engine, but you should have to face a little risk. Like you should have to face risk when you break into the armoury.

The only reason it doesn't happen is because people play engineer to yellowtide with easy access to yellow gloves and toolbelts. Anyone with preliminary atmos knowledge can delam the engine just as fast as snipping the emitters wires was back when we used tesla/singulo. And if you're an engineer, you can break into the CE's office and use the powerflow console to turn off telecoms and by the time anyone will notice (and if you actually know what you're doing) the engine will be at 80% instability.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311777

Also, swap the labels on the freon and plasma cans in the secure engineering storage to really mess with those dumb engies.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311942

Also, fun fact, ATMOS resin will freeze (weld) scrubbers and vents shut if it goes over them. You can use it as an emergrncy means of cooling the SM but you can also use it to destabilise the SM in the long term, though it's a good idea to pump in a bad gas mix first otherwise it'll take forever to destabilise.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #312123

Imagine if randomized engines becomes a thing.

And there was an extra low chance that the engine is just a cluster of PACMAN generators.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #312133

I still don't understand what people find so interesting about the singularity engine.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #312181

The fact that you are barely harnessing a celestial tool of station rape as a battery.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #312239

also autists like things that spin
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #312307

Screemonster wrote:also autists like things that spin
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #312322

SM a shit engine

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Kyrah Abattoir
Byond Username: KyrahAbattoir

Post by Kyrah Abattoir » #317648

I miss the TEG.
ohnopigeons

Post by ohnopigeons » #397238

Anonmare wrote:That stuff with the SM in the vacuum is a bug and is being fixed, it's not a mechanic.
Lmao
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #398412

CPTANT wrote:I still don't understand what people find so interesting about the singularity engine.
The first 20 or so times it's really exciting to set up, you go out into space, risk getting pulled into the forcefield, EMP can bolt the airlocks shut, etc.
Plus the whole having to watch it while it grows larger thing.

For the SME you just push some buttons while walking around in a safe area.
The only excitement comes if you have to repair it or experiment with dangerous gas mixes (that people barely do because they fear the bwoink).
EvilJackCarver
Byond Username: EvilJackCarver
Github Username: EvilJackCarver

Post by EvilJackCarver » #398446

Honestly my issue with the Singulo/Tesla wasn't in how 'shallow' the mechanic was, it was in how braindead easy it was to sabotage and how difficult it was to fix if you didn't catch it - Go out, snip a wire, come back before the airlocks even close, haul ass and laugh.

The Supermatter's only slightly corrected that in that now you need to go a little bit further out of your way to sabotage it, but it's still the same - go out, unwrench the one heat exchanger pipe out of the camera's view, haul ass back in. There's no complexity behind the sabotage unless you're on Omega, where sabotaging it requires you to either decon an R-wall or grab a pick and do some labour. (Having some distance between it and the nearest airlock could also have something to do with it, which might be why this sabotage isn't common on Delta.) There was absolutely no creativity until recently (you have people flooding in CO₂ now if they're in Atmos).

What makes it worse for the Supermatter is that if that sort of sabotage IS the sabotage that's done, it's difficult to correct because of the buildup of crap in the Supermatter that you're going to have to filter out due to radiation (notably pluoxium, which chokes the hell outta the scrubbers). If you filter it at the side, you'll have to worry about the canisters getting full now that they've messed with the filter code to actually stop filtering at 4500 kPa on ANY side; if you leave it in it clogs up the cooling loop with useless bullshit and chokes up the filters after that while it tries to squeeze all the gas out.

TL;DR sabotage is too braindead easy to do for the difficulty there is in fixing it
R. Andreas Spitzer or SpitzOS (or a random-named human) ingame. Usually somewhere in engineering, or pAI.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #398510

Denton wrote:
CPTANT wrote:I still don't understand what people find so interesting about the singularity engine.
The first 20 or so times it's really exciting to set up, you go out into space, risk getting pulled into the forcefield, EMP can bolt the airlocks shut, etc.

The only excitement comes if you have to repair it or experiment with dangerous gas mixes (that people barely do because they fear the bwoink).
The only part of your singularity engine description that is true is that you go into space (in a sealed containment area that just happens to be exposed to space.) The only time any of those "risks" you mention after that point is if you decide to walk out into the containment after the engine has already been set up for some reason? The containment is self-sustaining and the controls were handled by a single console and some shutters. At no point did you have to interact with the singularity past the initial set up and more than not people would still fuck that up and set off a murderball in the first 5 minutes of a round.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #398580

EvilJackCarver wrote: What makes it worse for the Supermatter is that if that sort of sabotage IS the sabotage that's done, it's difficult to correct because of the buildup of crap in the Supermatter that you're going to have to filter out due to radiation (notably pluoxium, which chokes the hell outta the scrubbers). If you filter it at the side, you'll have to worry about the canisters getting full now that they've messed with the filter code to actually stop filtering at 4500 kPa on ANY side; if you leave it in it clogs up the cooling loop with useless bullshit and chokes up the filters after that while it tries to squeeze all the gas out.

TL;DR sabotage is too braindead easy to do for the difficulty there is in fixing it
it's a lot easier to stop the meltdown though, if the singularity/tesla engines go, there's no fixing it, but with the SM you usually get some warning and can dump supercool n2 into the loop (which you have prepared earlier because you're a good engineer) to halt the meltdown, giving you time at your leisure to shut vents, drain the cooling loop into space and then drain the SM chamber and restart.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #398581

cedarbridge wrote:
Denton wrote:

The only part of your singularity engine description that is true is that you go into space (in a sealed containment area that just happens to be exposed to space.) The only time any of those "risks" you mention after that point is if you decide to walk out into the containment after the engine has already been set up for some reason? The containment is self-sustaining and the controls were handled by a single console and some shutters. At no point did you have to interact with the singularity past the initial set up and more than not people would still fuck that up and set off a murderball in the first 5 minutes of a round.
the only real danger was getting hit by the emitter beams, which was nothing more than a simple timing issue.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #398587

oranges wrote:it's a lot easier to stop the meltdown though, if the singularity/tesla engines go, there's no fixing it, but with the SM you usually get some warning and can dump supercool n2 into the loop (which you have prepared earlier because you're a good engineer) to halt the meltdown, giving you time at your leisure to shut vents, drain the cooling loop into space and then drain the SM chamber and restart.
There's nothing stopping a coder from making the SM/Tesla emitter shields alert the crew if their power goes critical and risk shutting down. It would take like 5 minutes of coding.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #398592

The waste of time it would be given we've already indicated clearly that the SM is the design teams preferred engine given everything about all the engines are nearly identical save thematic elements, making those engines even similar to the SM acheives nothing.

Want to convince us? Make those engines complex, make them have more requirements than just sustained power. Show us what interactions and complexities you can come up with.

Here's a hint, you're going to end up looking at the atmospherics system for a requirement because it's one of our indepth systems we simulate.

You will inevitably end up with a reskinned SM
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #398685

but whats the point, seeing as nobody actually likes the SM for being "more complicated" or "deep" (it really isnt, its just push buttons, start emitters, load cans according to formula, like every engine).

They like the SM because it doesnt destroy the whole station when you fuck up a little at roundstart (although babies call the shuttle even if the blast didnt even reach the main engineering room), and its possible to shut down engine faults before they become catastrophic.

What you actually should get people to code is some way to know those engines are going wrong before ":e THE LORD COMES", and shut them down. Thats what the SM is liked for
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #398686

>implying the sm is liked
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #398702

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:but whats the point, seeing as nobody actually likes the SM for being "more complicated" or "deep" (it really isnt, its just push buttons, start emitters, load cans according to formula, like every engine).

They like the SM because it doesnt destroy the whole station when you fuck up a little at roundstart (although babies call the shuttle even if the blast didnt even reach the main engineering room), and its possible to shut down engine faults before they become catastrophic.

What you actually should get people to code is some way to know those engines are going wrong before ":e THE LORD COMES", and shut them down. Thats what the SM is liked for
This. Virtually nobody actually messes with the SM to actually optimize or experiment, they all just follow the wiki and dump coolant on it if someone fucks up or a traitor sabotages it. The only real advantage the SM has over the other engines is the meltdown alarm, and even then as I just pointed out there's nothing stopping someone from just adding that feature to the other engines.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #398747

The only way I see having a diversity of engines being worthwhile is when and if power production and consumption becomes more than a binary "Yes the station is powered" and "No, the station is not powered." When power production amount beyond the base minimum required to meet station use matters for more than an epeen graph (which suffices for some engineers I guess) then engineering will have not only the motivation to experiment with multiple engine systems, intentionally monkey with larger and more complex power production systems and configurations and actually stay in engineering maintaining and tweaking the engines beyond the roundstart and fuck off to the bar ritual that we have currently (and have for years, honestly.)

That means we need:
1) Probably a refactor of power use and power consumption based on machines per room, lighting used in room, charging devices including borg chargers, (hell, lets make the lights flicker when the chef turns on his microwaves)
2) Set up power exports for engineering that feeds into the station coffers in the vault. This opens space for either engineering to demand that the surplus they're paying into cargo comes back to them in the form of more engine parts, special engineering crates for more, different or bigger engine setups, etc. Could factor later into departmental budgets or economics when and if that ever gets off the ground.
3) Probably a look at how APCs work currently. Whenever engineering fucked up, even before the SM, and station lost power to anything but a power sink, I could just print super power cells at a protolathe and slap them into every APC and keep the station running on pure battery power for hours.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #398753

Epeen is a pretty driving factor otherwise we wouldn't have had people making quad-singulo engines in cargo maint back then.

Also about number 3, aren't Inducers working against that point as well?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #398757

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:but whats the point, seeing as nobody actually likes the SM for being "more complicated" or "deep" (it really isnt, its just push buttons, start emitters, load cans according to formula, like every engine).

This. Virtually nobody actually messes with the SM to actually optimize or experiment, they all just follow the wiki and dump coolant on it if someone fucks up or a traitor sabotages it. The only real advantage the SM has over the other engines is the meltdown alarm, and even then as I just pointed out there's nothing stopping someone from just adding that feature to the other engines.
I try to optimize the engine. I just did it yesterday.

People keep arguing "no one does shit with the engine." Maybe I am cynical today, but fuck that argument. I do stuff with the engine; I do stuff with atmos. People do use these features. Just because you don't use these features doesn't mean no one does.

I gotta admit, the SM is way more fun and interesting than the singularity. The singularity is only smiled upon because it's a lot more eventful when things go wrong compared to the SM. The SM, leading up to delamination, is way more eventful and interesting in nearly every way. After delamination, there is nothing interesting about it.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #398759

Hence the *virtually nobody*. There are definitely a very small group of people who fuck with the engine for giggles, but the vast majority will just copy the wiki and call it a day.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #398771

ShadowDimentio wrote:Hence the *virtually nobody*. There are definitely a very small group of people who fuck with the engine for giggles, but the vast majority will just copy the wiki and call it a day.
Virtually nobody plays security, so lets remove it and add security cyborgs instead.

Sorry I misunderstood your argument. I exaggerate, but you see where I am coming from. Despite there being a small audience for the SM, it has more features than the singularity. The people who would mess around with the SM would no longer have that option going to the singularity. All there would be to do is to keep an eye on the singularity. At least you have something to do while watching the SM, and something to do if someone fucks with the SM.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #398774

It'd add some variety. It's been so long since I've seen a singularity that I nearly assumed the iconic fuckers were just gone

Watching the thing tear through the station is a treat, and because it'd be on some maps rather then others it'd keep things fresh
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #398802

If you miss singulo so much, learn to delaimate the SM by applying one of my custom setups.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #398807

Denton wrote:

PSA I allow you to test various gascomps as long as you're not purposefully sabotaging it as nonantag (100% plasma is probably not a good comp guys...).

There's no point of the experimental aspect if you're going to get banned for not following the wiki word for word (which sometimes causes delams or something so lol)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #398808

cedarbridge wrote:1) Probably a refactor of power use and power consumption based on machines per room, lighting used in room, charging devices including borg chargers, (hell, lets make the lights flicker when the chef turns on his microwaves)
2) Set up power exports for engineering that feeds into the station coffers in the vault. This opens space for either engineering to demand that the surplus they're paying into cargo comes back to them in the form of more engine parts, special engineering crates for more, different or bigger engine setups, etc. Could factor later into departmental budgets or economics when and if that ever gets off the ground.
3) Probably a look at how APCs work currently. Whenever engineering fucked up, even before the SM, and station lost power to anything but a power sink, I could just print super power cells at a protolathe and slap them into every APC and keep the station running on pure battery power for hours.
1) Power consumption is already loosely related to actual use by machines. The biggest offender here is cell chargers, which charge the cell at something like 500x (IIRC) the rate they drain the APC. It hasn't been fixed because it would either mean charging cells is either extremely slow or drains the whole room. Working around this by always upgrading the APC first means scientists would either need their APCs to start unlocked or the engineers to cooperate if they want to get anything charged. A full rebalance of relative energy costs could ameliorate the issue, but I doubt solve it.
1b) A system for easing power to lighting briefly when high-powered equipment kicks on on could be pretty entertaining.
2) I don't hate the idea but it would be hard to balance, and the general trend seems to be away from Cargo receiving tons of money for "normal" stuff (removal of mineral and tech export).
3) Power cells from science are not fully-charged when printed anymore, and must be charged via a cell charger (see #1) or by placing them in a charging APC.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #398821

Does it matter if they're partially charged when you only need 1 to have your protolathe build tons more? (also inducer but idk how that works, never used it).

if they're not starting empty then the problem will exist. Whether or not that's ok, i dunno.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #398827

SpaceManiac wrote:1b) A system for easing power to lighting briefly when high-powered equipment kicks on on could be pretty entertaining.
Speaking of, there's a "night shift" mode for lighting that makes them dimmer but doesn't actually reduce power consumption, or at least the APC didn't display it using any less.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #398840

Cobby wrote:if they're not starting empty then the problem will exist. Whether or not that's ok, i dunno.
They do start empty.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #400743

I would like maps to spawn with a random engine type.