How to fix changeling death squads

A place to record your ideas for the game.
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

How to fix changeling death squads

Post by InsaneHyena » #310364

Changelings are extremely formidable on their own. Everybody knows that. Changelings get a free traitor radio, so they can unite and destroy the crew. It happens all the time.
Traitors also often ally, but there's a catch involved - paranoia, if you will. You're never sure if you can trust your ally. What if you're his target? What if he'll simply shoot you in the back and take all of your gear and TCs for himself?
There's no such fear for changelings. inb4 "changelings can have objectives to kill one another" - yes, technically, but it never happens, because changelings change identities so easily.

Now, removing changeling hivemind is not an option. I've tried it and got shut down. But what if we add an incentive for changelings to betray one another?
For every changeling you consume, you gain 1-2 DNA points. Just like traitors can discard their allies for sweet loot, changelings can decide that their brethren will be more useful dead.

You can still help each other and cooperate... But SHOULD you? You never know...
Bring back papercult.

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: How to fix changeling death squads

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310366

Remove changelings from the code or bring back oldling entirely.

Those are the only options.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DireVictory
Byond Username: DireVictory

Post by DireVictory » #310370

ShadowDimentio wrote:Remove changelings from the code or bring back oldling entirely.

Those are the only options.
Yup, do it. Or the hippie/yog changeling, maybe modified.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #310371

G O O N L I N G
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310373

Armhulen wrote:G O O N L I N G
Do itttttt
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310375

Honestly the only thing I think worth preserving from our version is flesh clothing
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310381

Anonmare wrote:Honestly the only thing I think worth preserving from our version is flesh clothing
I really like the power, it's extremely useful for QUICK DISGUISES ON THE GO, but I think there should be a small nerf to it so that it's more of an emergency disguise than a permanent shapechange along with clothes. If you examine someone within a tile of them and they're wearing flesh clothing, it should tell you that their clothes look strange and fleshy.

Everything else should get the axe though.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #310394

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Do itttttt
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #310406

ShadowDimentio wrote:or bring back oldling entirely.
I'm sorry? can you speak english please?
私は完璧
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310408

bring back oldling tbh
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #310409

DemonFiren wrote:bring back oldling tbh
No, not german, ENGLISH.
私は完璧
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #310412

Remie Richards wrote:
No, not german, ENGLISH.
Stay triggered
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #310414

Lol fuck off leibniz.
私は完璧
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #310416

Remie Richards wrote:Lol fuck off leibniz.
mean and passive agressive
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310417

Nobody ever listens to me.

The solution is side antag progression ling

No really.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #310418

Armhulen wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:Lol fuck off leibniz.
mean and passive agressive
I don't think you know what passive means.
私は完璧
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #310426

add skill trees to lings, so investing into the combat side makes you unable to have tank/restorative/stealth abilities, and investing in tank/restorative/stealth abilities makes you unable to have full combat abilities.

could be done by grouping abilities into their respective categories (kind of like the wizard spellbook), then making purchasing an ability from one category cause abilities in other categories to go up in price. so say you purchase Armblade from the Combat category. now Fleshmend, Anatomic Pancea, and everything else in the Restoration category will go up in price. alternatively, instead of going up in price, they could instead cost more chems to use. standard ling regen (the one they have innately that lets them rise from the dead) could cost +10 chems for every combat ability in the lings possession, for example.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310460

Good on paper, bad in practice. It'll just mean the lings use guns or other gear more because they don't have to pay to play.

So instead of immortal armblade turbofaggotry we'd have immortal egun turbofaggotry
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310463

leibniz wrote:
Remie Richards wrote:
No, not german, ENGLISH.
Stay triggered
Do I even wanna know where the changeling touched that coder?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310464

Remie has it out for parasting, and is deafeningly silent whenever anyone rightfully points out that ling is worse now than it ever was with parasting
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #310468

I don't disagree it's shit at the moment.
I disagree with the retarded notion parasting was anything but crap of the highest degree.
私は完璧
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #310470

Remie Richards wrote:I don't disagree it's shit at the moment.
I disagree with the retarded notion parasting was anything but crap of the highest degree.
Parasting was complete aids, but something like a stamina destroying sting would be fine.

The difference between being able to do absolutely nothing and being able to walk and act for 10 seconds before falling down is huge.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310480

Remie Richards wrote:I disagree with the retarded notion parasting was anything but crap of the highest degree.
Wrong.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #310483

Shadow literally nearly everyone hated it. It was as close to a consensus as we ever get here
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310487

I've covered this like a dozen times but it was fine when it was effectively the only offensive skill lings had, especially when you consider literally every other antag has skills that are even worse than stunning one dude silently.

Yes, you could turbofuck one guy out of existence at a time, but guess what? Currently lings are worse in every single way.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #310494

leibniz wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Do itttttt
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #310496

ShadowDimentio wrote:Good on paper, bad in practice. It'll just mean the lings use guns or other gear more because they don't have to pay to play.

So instead of immortal armblade turbofaggotry we'd have immortal egun turbofaggotry
still an improvement
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310498

Substantially less of one than just removing lings from the code or porting goonlings
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #310552

nonetheless, still an improvement
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310558

PK I'm going to have to start charging royalties if you keep coming up with ideas I had as well way back when
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #310595

G O O N L I N G

Even if we don't add Goonling, just remove our ling. Its a rotting limb that should've been amputated a long time ago.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #310655

Wyzack wrote:Shadow literally nearly everyone hated it. It was as close to a consensus as we ever get here
Your account seems to be newer than newling, as in, no parasting or extract dna sting changeling.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #310656

The PR removing Parastring links to a thread that is no longer accessible.
However there are no complaints on the PR at all.
私は完璧
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #310663

At least wash your hands after pulling a statement like that out your ass.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #310664

Are you talking to me?
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #310682

Who cares about Parasting if we just get Goonling. We genuinely cannot go wrong with that.

Also Parasting sucked from what I can vaguely recall, and giving Lings parasting is not going to fix our ling at all.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #310684

Parasting was the most reviled feature ever added to this game
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #310772

Steelpoint wrote:Who cares about Parasting if we just get Goonling. We genuinely cannot go wrong with that.

Also Parasting sucked from what I can vaguely recall, and giving Lings parasting is not going to fix our ling at all.
Adding parasting to current ling would just make it worse, but turning back the clock to oldling where parasting was effectively their only offensive weapon would immidiately fix lings and turn the back into 1V1 gods that got dunked in group combat.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #310835

ShadowDimentio wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:Who cares about Parasting if we just get Goonling. We genuinely cannot go wrong with that.

Adding parasting to current ling would just make it worse, but turning back the clock to oldling where parasting was effectively their only offensive weapon would immidiately fix lings and turn the back into 1V1 gods that got dunked in group combat.
Parasting was horrible, It was extremely unfun for the victim, you did not feel like there was any way to react to it, it makes for very bad gameplay.

Goon's neurotoxin sting is a good alternative, as it has a tell, lets you react and move around while taking the brain damage, and still lets you scream out if you are fast enough.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #310883

if i wanted 2 dna points i'll click on dna extract and altclick two people.
not do some dumb nerf by someone who can't get good.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #310895

kevinz000 wrote:if i wanted 2 dna points i'll click on dna extract and altclick two people.
dna points != extracted dna
InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #310993

kevinz000 wrote:if i wanted 2 dna points i'll click on dna extract and altclick two people.
Aren't you that guy who gets outrobusted by clowns?
Bring back papercult.