Portable Turret Control Device

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Portable Turret Control Device

Post by Steelpoint » #310736

As HoS I've recently taken to establishing turrets within Security and sometimes in the public area's outside of security.

Turrets are useful but they have limitations. Once set its impossible for a turret to alter its firing mode. So if you insert a Energy Gun on disable mode, the turret will always fire on Disable and will never switch to Lasers. Leading to amusing situations where a Disabler Turret keeps trying to disable a xenomorph.

----------------------

My suggestion is a unique Portable Turret Control Device that is on offer to the crew, perhaps the HoS gets one in his office.

This device can link up turrets that are not already linked to the device (the device should never be able to link up a AI controlled turret). Once a turret is linked, the user can manually, and remotely, set individual turrets and alter their functions, as well as alter their fire modes. Maybe the function can be expanded to let the user set circumstances where a turret can swap fire modes on its own, or the user can get a turret to eject its weapon so it can be replaced.

Either way, I think this would be a good addition as it would make turrets more serviceable by security and any proactive crew member.

Edit: Alternatively, the device simply lets you interact with a turret at range, as well as alter its fire mode on command.

Also, I think that if a turret is loaded with a weapon that can swap from lethal to non-lethal, that it should automatically use its lethal setting when it fires on a target that has met the "neutralise" requisite.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Portable Turret Control Device

Post by Nabski » #310804

So I don't know what an omni-remote is, but I fail to believe that it's more overpowered than setting up a bunch of toggled turrets in security.

If this was CM this might almost make sense, but what the fuck.

Am I even playing the same game as steelpoint here?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #310808

build turret controls loser
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #310826

ExcessiveCobblestone wrote:build turret controls loser
This!

Go to autolathe, print a turret control frame.
Attach the frame to a wall.
Build your turret and unlock it. (Very important!!!)
Apply multitool to turret. MAKE SURE THE TURRET IS UNLOCKED OR YOU WILL ATTACK IT AND IT MIGHT BECOME IRRITATED.
Upload turret data to turret control via multi-tool. Done!
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310827

I do kinda wish you could configure turrets to only attack people without a certain ID, or to configure them to target cyborgs as well. Would be handy if you're a rogue AI and you know unsynced cyborgs exist and could re-program turrets to consider cyborgs a threat.

Do emagged turrets target cyborgs? If they do, just giving the AI a limited use emag as a malf power would be enough.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #311140

Turrets you make should be really scaled back just a bit and have upgrades, so ones that are meant to be defending places are the actually important unique turrets and self made ones can run at slightly less efficiency but still be pretty dank.

> Add a camera - the turret now has a LOS while its active
> Plasma - The turret stops overheating so much, and will improve its rate of fire by 1 or half a second and last longer

So functionally if you could just jump to a camera console view of a turret or the turrets own camera, the HOS could use the device over the cams to direct the line of fire, and of course the AI could be given a malf ability to do the same thing and manually direct targets.

Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #311228

Ahh good ole turret controls, something that has no guide or barely a reference to it on the wiki.

My point can be shifted that I think turret controls should offer more control to the user on how to configure their turrets.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #311232

I miss the days of xray laser turrets parked in the main hall behind flashers/other projectile blocking, non LoS blocking items, with everyone set to arrest.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #311243

lumipharon wrote:I miss the days of xray laser turrets parked in the main hall behind flashers/other projectile blocking, non LoS blocking items, with everyone set to arrest.
Is there something stopping you doing this again?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #311244

Most things no longer 100% block projectiles. Before you could use shit like girders and consoles to absorb all damage, now there is a whatever % chance to go through. Also sec barriers are now destroyable, not sure if anything else works for this, but there probably is if you look hard enough.