Stamina rework

A place to record your ideas for the game.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Stamina rework

Post by CPTANT » #317542

It got a bit buried in the other thread, so here it is again:

I propose reworking stamina damage to remove a portion of said stamina damage after it has stunned.

100 stamina damage -> 5-7 second stun AND removes ~50 stamina damage at the end of the stun.

Additional stamina damage while being stunned has no effect.

This way stamina damage can be slowly replace hard stuns without being total aids.

Please keep this thread relatively about this specific rework.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Stamina rework

Post by PKPenguin321 » #317760

I like the flat removal and do think it's a step in a good direction, but considering how much stamina damage things like disabler beams do that damage can still just be applied again for very little cost and the permastun is still very easy to maintain. It also doesn't fix stamina damage causing debilitating slowdown which is a massive aspect of what makes it so disgusting.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #317774

PKPenguin321 wrote:I like the flat removal and do think it's a step in a good direction, but considering how much stamina damage things like disabler beams do that damage can still just be applied again for very little cost and the permastun is still very easy to maintain. It also doesn't fix stamina damage causing debilitating slowdown which is a massive aspect of what makes it so disgusting.
Well you would at least have some window to act, which is contrary to the hard stackable stuns we have now.

Stamina slowdowns might be revised, but is outside of the scope of this idea.

I think this proposal improves our stamina system enough for the effort required to be actionable.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #318238

Nobody actually has an opinion about this?
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #318368

Stamina was never supposed to exist at the same time as one-and-done stuns. You dont need to rework stamina, the entire combat system from the ground up needs to be hit. The fact that this was implemented in such a fashion still annoys me... Cheridan chose the wrong path.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318395

Ergovisavi wrote:Stamina was never supposed to exist at the same time as one-and-done stuns. You dont need to rework stamina, the entire combat system from the ground up needs to be hit. The fact that this was implemented in such a fashion still annoys me... Cheridan chose the wrong path.
I think if we had 0 hard stuns and exclusively stamina damage and it worked the way it does right now, the game would be worse for it. As it is, stamina damage is essentially just better than hard stuns (wont list all the reasons why here unless I'm asked to). At the same time, though, someone with a hard stun can stun somebody with a disabler before the guy with the disabler can stamina stun them, meaning that disablers are better in every instance except for when you're fighting another disabler. Without a hard stun to counter guys with disablers, combat would still be "land the first hit and congrats you have the stun and win" only slower and the stuns are stronger + they have slowdown.
Spoiler:
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #318422

You don't suffer slowdown on the first shot, so no, first shot "doesn't win". Unless someone changed the way we calculate that.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318428

Ergovisavi wrote:You don't suffer slowdown on the first shot, so no, first shot "doesn't win".
This assumes you have exactly 100 health, doesn't it?
Spoiler:
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #318434

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Ergovisavi wrote:You don't suffer slowdown on the first shot, so no, first shot "doesn't win".
This assumes you have exactly 100 health, doesn't it?
You don't assume combat starts at 2 HP. Anyway, damage slowdown is the real issue here, in that instance, not stamina.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318437

I think stamina damage contributing to damage slowdown is the issue. Damage slowdown calculations should ignore stamina damage.
Spoiler:
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #318457

PKPenguin321 wrote:I think stamina damage contributing to damage slowdown is the issue. Damage slowdown calculations should ignore stamina damage.
Damage slowdown existing in the first place is the issue, as it causes a snowball effect in combat encounters. Stamina is irrelevant.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #318466

I disagree. I think stamina accentuates the issues of damage slowdown. Damage slowdown is a good thing in my opinion, as if you beat someone to an inch of their life, literally one health, they should not be able to get up and sprint away at full speed. At the same time, though, being slowed does make you extremely vulnerable in combat, something disablers don't need to have considering they already have permanent stuns. If you get up by some miracle from a stamina stun (which will almost never happen, as any type of damage will re-apply the stun, so once you go down from stamina damage literally any weapon can be used to permastun you as they also do damage), you deserve the chance to run away at top speed. It's different from getting physically beaten to 1 health.
Spoiler:
Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #318492

Except it has nothing to do with stamina and it in no way accentuates the issue. If they were using lasers, you'd be in crit, which is LITERALLY an indefinite stun until you die. The only difference is that one is labeled STAMINA and the other BURN.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #324779

Slightly more detailed and reworked proposal:

Being stunned restores 5 stamina damage per second.

Stamina damage counts for medium slowdown but not for heavy.
DireVictory
Byond Username: DireVictory

Post by DireVictory » #324821

yes, I think that if the (some)stamina damage is removed AFTER the stun and the stun is not lengthened by more inflicted stamina damage it would be better. No more permastunning
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #324823

DireVictory wrote:yes, I think that if the (some)stamina damage is removed AFTER the stun and the stun is not lengthened by more inflicted stamina damage it would be better. No more permastunning
To be honest I don't think it is that bad that reaching 100 stamina damage means you have lost the fight.

You aren't getting up from 100 regular damage either.

And its also extremely likely that someone will just put cuffs on you that also almost permanently incapacitate you.

If you do get up after getting 100 stamina damage however you will have regenerated most of it away.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #324825

If the stamina resets to 50 assuming full health wouldn't that be a slow already?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #324828

I think the movement decrease threshold for stamina is around 33 or so stamina damage.