Maintenance Equipment - It's Not Just Junk!

A place to record your ideas for the game.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Maintenance Equipment - It's Not Just Junk!

Post by AnonymousNow » #319619

Not a minor suggestion, just about, so it gets its own thread.

Long story short, we currently have items spawning throughout maintenance such as timers, shoes etc. Some of these items look exactly like Syndicate traitor items (Chameleon Projectors, No-Slips etc.), but are of course completely mundane.

I propose that we give these items a very, very rare chance of actually being the equivalent Syndicate item instead. This helps to downplay traitor roundtelling, and introduces a small element of random, fun chaos to the game.

You see where this can lead, of course. The percentages would have to be VERY low to stop powergamers from scouring maintenance and then committing suicide, but that's absolutely fine.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Maintenance Equipment - It's Not Just Junk!

Post by ShadowDimentio » #319628

A good idea, but PSA if you get caught with antag gear you're dead so don't touchy unless you're willing to risk death at the hands of sec
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #319635

ShadowDimentio wrote:A good idea, but PSA if you get caught with antag gear you're dead so don't touchy unless you're willing to risk death at the hands of sec
Totally also a factor. Validhunters will validhunt the shit out of you, unless security takes a moment to think (HA) and consider that this equipment may actually just have a benign origin.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #319651

I've been executed for the throwing stars box that spawns sometimes in the theater.

I wasn't even throwing them at people, I just got arrested and they found it in my bag.
Last edited by Nabski on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #319672

My question is how we'd handle this policy wise. I mean it goes without saying that you've got a number of people who'd use the fact that these nonantag items look and function similar to antag items as an excuse to instantly murder anyone they see holding them and say "Teehee! Oops, thought they were a traitor!"
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #319709

Jacough wrote:My question is how we'd handle this policy wise. I mean it goes without saying that you've got a number of people who'd use the fact that these nonantag items look and function similar to antag items as an excuse to instantly murder anyone they see holding them and say "Teehee! Oops, thought they were a traitor!"
how about banning them for murdering someone for just having contraband. It would do wonders in reducing valid-hunting. Actually giving some incentive to make sure that the person you are killing committed a crime would be a good thing.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #319751

Dr_bee wrote:how about banning them for murdering someone for just having contraband. It would do wonders in reducing valid-hunting. Actually giving some incentive to make sure that the person you are killing committed a crime would be a good thing.
DAMN STRAIGHT

Though inevitably these will be misused, and it will be a good, entertaining thing for the most part when they are. Thermals and noslips and energy daggers and chameleon projectors.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319827

Couldn't people just, confiscate the contraband and put them on a watchlist? Isn't that what the paroled status on sec records si for?
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #319833

>traitor goes to maint and picks up a energy pen
>we arrest him for being suspicious
>find energy pen, brig him for five minutes and tracker implant him
>he gets buttmad
>leaves and comes back with four minibombs and ruins the round for all of sec because we didnt execute him for being a traitor

this is why people don't play security, because of "YOU GUYS ARE BEING VALID HUNTERS"

no shit, should we just let the known traitor with free reign to kill or do anything on the station just walk around the station with a implant that he could so easily have removed?

right.
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #319835

Yeah fuck that noise. I kill people as security because in the immortal words of Mal 'They try to kill me right back'
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #319837

John_Oxford wrote:>traitor goes to maint and picks up a energy pen
>he gets buttmad
>leaves and comes back with four minibombs and ruins the round for all of sec because we didnt execute him for being a traitor

this is why people don't play security, because of "YOU GUYS ARE BEING VALID HUNTERS"

no shit, should we just let the known traitor with free reign to kill or do anything on the station just walk around the station with a implant that he could so easily have removed?

right.
Confiscate their PDA+pen and radio so they can't buy those minibombs then. Spare PDAs can be gotten from the HoP and their department and dorms have spare radios (or print off a spare from an autolathe)
Reece

Post by Reece » #319841

Anonmare wrote:
>he gets buttmad

right.
Confiscate their PDA+pen and radio so they can't buy those minibombs then. Spare PDAs can be gotten from the HoP and their department and dorms have spare radios (or print off a spare from an autolathe)
Why risk it? There is no reward for risking it, but there a possibility of dying. It's basic maths.
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #319857

Anonmare wrote:
>he gets buttmad

right.
then get banned because they're going to ahelp "HE TOOK MY PDA BECAUSE HE THINKS IM A TRAITOR HE HAS NO WAY TO KNOW THAT"

and then bumfuckmctrialmin is going to slap me with a week ban

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #319890

Anonmare wrote:Confiscate their PDA+pen and radio so they can't buy those minibombs then. Spare PDAs can be gotten from the HoP and their department and dorms have spare radios (or print off a spare from an autolathe)
So either metagame and steal all their shit and still die when they make their own bombs and blow you up or just kill them outright for having extremely illegal contraband

Don't touch antag gear unless you're ready to die, it's not complicated you idiots
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
John_Oxford
Github User

Post by John_Oxford » #320019

careful shadow you might get banned because you arent meeting their rp standards or pandering to the way they play the game

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #320020

John_Oxford wrote:careful shadow you might get banned because you arent meeting their rp standards or pandering to the way they play the game
You only get bwoinked if you kill someone and they aren't antag, and every time I've been bwoinked for as such a simple "they had traitor gear what did you expect me to do" usually gets them off my ass
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #320038

Reece wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
>he gets buttmad

right.
Why risk it? There is no reward for risking it, but there a possibility of dying. It's basic maths.
Why risk it? because this is a game that is reliant on antag players to make the round interesting. This was always something that goonstation security did right. Sure you could murder the antag but then the round is BORING, and boring rounds are worse than death.

Also sometimes you will die, and that is ok, death is part of the game, and being able to watch antag shenanigans as a ghost is much more interesting to me than doing nothing as a human because security valid-ed all the traitors for having an e-mag.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #320066

Probably would help to make possession of antag gear more owning contraband than giving the round away and enabling validhunters and executions. The meta will adjust eventually. Also might make things more interesting for other game modes when such antag gear is normally unobtainable. And hell, even the validhunters might enjoy getting their hands on tator gear.

Also gives more of a reason for things like storage implants and even satchels, since being caught with antag gear is no longer necessarily an immediate death/perma sentence.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #320074

The meta or sec players aren't gonna keep people with antag gear alive.

They do, they'll bite the bullet and not do it the next time.
They don't, you're dead, you're one less worry off the 10 people in the round that want you dead.

And if you think admins heavy handing keeping people alive when you catch them with the only indicator of antag status we have is only going to create a shitstorm.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #320078

itt validhunters ruin the game
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #320079

*looks at repukan*
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #320081

Maybe sec should consider more options than 'kill if possible antag, ignore if not'?
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #320092

kevinz000 wrote:*looks at repukan*
Hey I'm not the RD shitter with a catgirl on my back every round to report the valids and help me up if I get tased.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Reece

Post by Reece » #320094

Dr_bee wrote:
Reece wrote:
Anonmare wrote:
>he gets buttmad

right.
Why risk it? because this is a game that is reliant on antag players to make the round interesting. This was always something that goonstation security did right. Sure you could murder the antag but then the round is BORING, and boring rounds are worse than death.

Also sometimes you will die, and that is ok, death is part of the game, and being able to watch antag shenanigans as a ghost is much more interesting to me than doing nothing as a human because security valid-ed all the traitors for having an e-mag.
I'd rather play the game than observe thanks.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #320106

D&B wrote: And if you think admins heavy handing keeping people alive when you catch them with the only indicator of antag status we have is only going to create a shitstorm.
maybe have security charge people with CRIMES instead of just searching for the guy who rolled antag.

validhunting is cancer, it has always been.