Fixing the Xenobio monkey recycling system

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Fixing the Xenobio monkey recycling system

Post by Togopal » #333348

As many of you know, the monkey recycling system isn't compatible with xenobio in the way that the console uses an internal system to recycle monkeys that doesn't sync with upgraded recyclers.

To fix this, make the button to recycle monkies on the console pick them up instead, and make the recycler suck in nearby dead monkies, much like how the slime processor works. That way, Xenobio will be much more efficient.

AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Re: Fixing the Xenobio monkey recycling system

Post by AnonymousNow » #333363

Togopal wrote:As many of you know, the monkey recycling system isn't compatible with xenobio in the way that the console uses an internal system to recycle monkeys that doesn't sync with upgraded recyclers.

To fix this, make the button to recycle monkies on the console pick them up instead, and make the recycler suck in nearby dead monkies, much like how the slime processor works. That way, Xenobio will be much more efficient.
Seconding this. Having worked xenobiology a lot recently, having two different recycling systems that don't interact seems rather counterintuitive.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #333398

There are several approaches to this.

Monkeys are stored as a simple number within the console. The actual mob is spawned upon using the "Feed Slimes" button. So, we can remove the recycle function and copy the slime storage function, adapting it for (dead) monkey mobs instead of slimes. The console user simply drops the monkeys with a new button on the recycler.

Another clunky version of this would be linking the recycler somehow (proximity, mapspawn ID, multi-tool) to be fed dead monkeys when the user uses the recycle button, and adding the correct amount to the console's monkey variable.

A linked recycler could also simply track its efficiency rating and update that on the console's corresponding efficiency variable. Linking methods would remain the same, though.

One could also make the slime console itself upgrade-able, but computers and construct-able machines are different type-paths. Perhaps putting the console instead of an upgrade-able machine would do it, but this is another hacky way.

Another idea is to have an upgrade board you could apply to the slime console to increase its efficiency variable, cutting out the need for a recycler, and no need for snowflake code to link them together.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334038

Or you could just stop being lazy and manually remove monkeys at the start since the existing monkey grinder does a really good job at skimping efficiency, removing monkies when slimes are occupied eating.

At some point with proper management you will grind up so many grey slimes per intake the recycling monkey system is literally just for cleanlyness and recycling efficiency is for fun. A normal syringe can inject three grey cores at once for about 12 cubes, which then can be instantly deposited in the console using a biological bag, and if you're sitting on 20 or more grey cores (because a fully fully upgraded grinder in itself without slime steroiding the slime can deliver about 4) you're all set to go absolutely nuts with monkies.

I hate to be that guy but 'get good', the xenobio console was never managed as a long term solution, though its a helpful tool.

Spoiler:
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334067

FantasticFwoosh wrote: -snip-
The reason monkey recyclers are regarded that way is because they never got the update they deserved alongside the slime processor when the consoles were introduced. Its not about laziness considering whatever you do on this game you are going to be sitting at a desk. Its about efficiency and doing something that should have been done a long time ago.

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334069

Togopal wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote: -snip-
The reason monkey recyclers are regarded that way is because they never got the update they deserved alongside the slime processor when the consoles were introduced. Its not about laziness considering whatever you do on this game you are going to be sitting at a desk. Its about efficiency and doing something that should have been done a long time ago.
But the monkey grinder does take efficiency upgrades to a notable degree in the place of a computer console, it is wholly feasable to run a department entirely on manual monkey clearing out & grinding with upgrades later in the game, but you'll have so many slime cores in a properly managed deparment that scales, that your suggestion is completely unnessecary because you're using the console.

> Adding upgrades to the xenobio console won't make the department any better, it'll just add equal efficiency ratios regardless of how you process the monkeys, and since the console can do it without moving from your seat, even with a worse efficiency ratio it'll never be worth doing the manual method.

I cite the real reason for monkey shortages is because some xenobiologists actively breed out and kill off grey slimes altogether, which is a enormous mistake to do because they are the xenobio failsafe slime, usually because they are blinded by much more powerful slime strains.

Spoiler:
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334072

The suggestion isnt necessary but it would certainly improve xenobiology. If the department is fully upgraded, why should I still have to depend on slime cores when a machine that makes infinite monkies without the need for blood intake is right across from me? What I suggested would give the console more of a beneficial use and interact with a machine thats usually abandoned lategame, so it would be an automated system much like the slime processor.

InsaneHyena
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Post by InsaneHyena » #334078

(((Quality of life buffs)))
Stop being lazy fags. Slime console was already a huge buff that xenobio did not deserve.
Bring back papercult.

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #334084

Back in my day we fed slimes manually and used the recycler/processor and we *liked* it
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334094

I still blast slimes manually because its scientifically proven to be faster, especially given that a lot of slimes can be stacked onto the same tile.

Spoiler:
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334107

>>>People who use "lazy" as a counterargument

Give me a fucking break, its a video game

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #334123

Anonmare wrote:Back in my day we fed slimes manually and used the recycler/processor and we *liked* it
back in my day you choked out a monkey and dragged it into the metroid enclosure and prayed they aggro'd the monkey first
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334130

Togopal wrote:>>>People who use "lazy" as a counterargument

Sakura clicker is a "video game" too, we do still want to keep players engaged enough to not be a click-to-win game.

Spoiler:
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334133

FantasticFwoosh wrote:
Togopal wrote:>>>People who use "lazy" as a counterargument

Sakura clicker is a "video game" too, we do still want to keep players engaged enough to not be a click-to-win game.
You're comparing apples to oranges, everybody who reads the xenobio wiki at least once knows what slimes evolve into what and what happens when you combine slimes with x chemical so there's no real learning experience or benefit to keeping xenobio the way that it is.

"Click-to-win game" basically describes a lot of things on this game (including combat and mining)

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334147

Apples and oranges are still fruit dumbass. The message is essentially the same that they are interchangable.

Oh so you want to complain ("Its fine for everything else to be about clicking, so why not my idea?"), in your mentioned areas, those are failings that are still being worked on to improve, your suggestion goes in the opposite direction to make it almost entirely autonomous with clicking.

Spoiler:
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #334223

Anyone who's played xenobiology knows how time consuming it is. It's a department based around waiting games and luck, and frequently gets dunked on by The Antagonist of Nearly Every Round because of it.

Linking the console to the recycler seems logical, since it's an actual goddamn recycling unit, and having monkeys be sucked up into an invisible one that's not as good is counterintuitive.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334254

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Image

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334297

• The point is that nobody will work on it unless you attempt to code it yourself because its such contentious subject because xenobiology has already become lazy though extremely convenient and this is even lazier to where the player barely moves. Its RnD level bad where you never have to even leave your laboratory to completely finish everything no matter how long it takes for slimes to grow & breed
> The only interaction of moving out of your chair will be to turn on the slime processor or to use/store the slime cores & chems.

What are you doing in which you can't just spam 12 monkey cubes (three blood extractions from a dead monkey for a syringe that can inject 3 cores at a time) and have close to infinite monkeys as is? especially since the average grey slime pen with low mutation chance gives 3 spare grey slimes per time.

Honestly just get good at xenobio and may the RnG be in your favour is really as much as i can say. I just think you're not the best xenobio player, and can't even address the points i make back because you're projecting yourself by claiming that nobody else understand the issue when you are the issue and nobody understands you or your intents & practices inside this department to play inefficiently then demand better equipment because its not up to scratch to apply any form of manual labour.
AnonymousNow wrote:Anyone who's played xenobiology knows how time consuming it is. It's a department based around waiting games and luck, and frequently gets dunked on by The Antagonist of Nearly Every Round because of it.

Linking the console to the recycler seems logical, since it's an actual goddamn recycling unit, and having monkeys be sucked up into an invisible one that's not as good is counterintuitive.
Its literally just a trash compactor convenience, you have the choice to remove the monkies anytime for efficiency making the slime console recycler is powercreep over the rest of the the equipment of the lab and makes the scientist less involved (especially as i detail, when the nessecity for actually working hard to grind monkies becomes redundant though effective slime gathering techniques) if it was upgradable to a better ratio of conversion.

You can remove the conversion rate of the xenobio console entirely so that it doesn't return 0.2 monkeys per time and its still a handy tool for making dead primates dissapear out of the pens. A long time ago pre-xenobio console many xenobio scientists were so lazy that they never actually used to remove the monkies out of the pen ever eventually because they literally could not be bothered, leaving every pen jam-packed full of 7-10 monkey corpses littering every tile of the pen in a shift.

> Ok yeah, linking the two machines together i see as mostly okayish compromise since you're going to interact with one or the other, however linking the slime processor & the xenobio console would be step too far for a slippery slope fallacy.

> Opt to give people more tools so they can literally xenobio from halfway across the station with a custom built xenobio console, become even bigger target because all the antagonist needs to do is pull out a double tap and kill you there and then point blank because you're so engrossed looking into a xenobio screen pretending to be a little xenobio AI.

Spoiler:
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #334315

jesus fuck fwoosh put this in a format people want to read
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334318

Newsflash Fwoosh, stretching out your points doesnt make them any more correct :roll:
The point is that nobody will work on it unless you attempt to code it yourself because its such contentious subject because xenobiology has already become lazy though extremely convenient and this is even lazier to where the player barely moves. Its RnD level bad where you never have to even leave your laboratory to completely finish everything no matter how long it takes for slimes to grow & breed

That actually wasnt the point, maybe it was your point but this isnt the thread to invalidate others because nobody will code it. You dont have to leave RnD to get max research either, the only time you will ever have to leave is to get mats.
What are you doing in which you can't just spam 12 monkey cubes (three blood extractions from a dead monkey for a syringe that can inject 3 cores at a time) and have close to infinite monkeys as is? especially since the average grey slime pen with low mutation chance gives 3 spare grey slimes per time.
Not even going to respond to this because I've already answered it in one of your earlier points.

Honestly just get good at xenobio and may the RnG be in your favour is really as much as i can say. I just think you're not the best xenobio player, and can't even address the points i make back because you're projecting yourself by claiming that nobody else understand the issue when you are the issue and nobody understands you or your intents & practices inside this department to play inefficiently then demand better equipment because its not up to scratch to apply any form of manual labour.
Fwoosh, have you even fuckin seen me play? Why are you coming up with all thsse assumptions that I'm bad at xenobiology when all I suggested was something to improve the field? I dont even know what else you're going on about, its just you running out of counterarguments and trying to invalidate me with ad hominem.

Why dont you go take some deep breaths, maybe punch a pillow, and respond when you've calmed down?

Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334319

AnonymousNow wrote:
Togopal wrote:As many of you know, the monkey recycling system isn't compatible with xenobio in the way that the console uses an internal system to recycle monkeys that doesn't sync with upgraded recyclers.

Seconding this. Having worked xenobiology a lot recently, having two different recycling systems that don't interact seems rather counterintuitive.
Thanks for the idea!

AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #334337

I don't understand where the notion that we are bad at xenobiology and don't understand how to use grey slime cores comes from. Is it salt?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #334399

Here's a solution: Make the recycle monkey button pick up dead monkeys, and a drop dead monkey button to place them near the recycler. You get the best of both worlds. Still have to place monkeys in, but don't have to spend all that time gathering each body one by one, and waiting for the windoors to open.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #334421

Hathkar wrote:Here's a solution: Make the recycle monkey button pick up dead monkeys, and a drop dead monkey button to place them near the recycler. You get the best of both worlds. Still have to place monkeys in, but don't have to spend all that time gathering each body one by one, and waiting for the windoors to open.
I would be happy with this. Facilitates quick cleanup and everything.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #334513

Does fwoosh even play this videogame
Togopal
In-Game Admin

Post by Togopal » #334537

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Does fwoosh even play this videogame
I've seen him play on Sybil every once in a blue moon, not sure if he is a Bagil main

Jzoid
Byond Username: Jzoid

Post by Jzoid » #334643

The monkey recycler is fine as it is if you ask me.
I see it as more of an end-game thing, if you upgrade it to the max one dead monkey body will give you three monkey cubes. No need for a change, just leave it with a risk-reward situation.