Randomized Weapon in the Armory

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Randomized Weapon in the Armory

Post by BeeSting12 » #342645

If anyone's familiar with the contraband locker on metastation then they'll know where this idea is coming from. Basically my idea is to add one gun to the armory, usually some sort of gimmick gun. This will replace the temperature gun/drag net and both guns will be added to the list of possible random guns to get. Included will be gimmick ammo for the shotgun, such as meteor shot. List of possible weapons below:

Temperature Gun:
Already in game's code/in armory, no balance issues here.

DRAGnet:
Already in game's code/in armory, no balance issues here.

Meteor Shot Shells:
In game's code, I don't see a problem with adding a box of them to the armory on a random chance. The worst they can be used for is busting open doors or stunning someone. You gotta admit, security using breaching rounds to blow open the door of a cult base sounds funny as fuck.

Laser Rifle:
Slightly higher damage than laser gun, maybe 5 points. Has a zoom-in ability similar to sniper rifles, and also fires slower. A very situational gun, with the added disadvantage of not being able to see around you.

Burst Laser Gun:
Exact same stats as a laser gun, just three shot bursts. Maybe even less damage, though not by much. There won't be a burst disabler or taser for obvious reasons.

Bayonet:
Same damage as combat knife, can be attached to gun and will stab people when used on harm intent. Can only be used on one gun and I thought it would be pretty cool.

Grenade Launcher:
Wouldn't have any replacement grenades so it's a one use gun unless someone manages to bring back another. Probably one of the shittier options because of the nature of having it be one time use.

Clusterbang Flashbang:
I think this is in the game's code. For when you really want to grief catpeople.

I'll probably code this if it gets enough support, I just think it would be cool to see some variety in security's weapons without changing the balance of the armory too much. The ones I can see main problems with are the clusterbang flashbang and burst laser gun, but it will be a random chance and I can always place those with lower chances. Let me know if there's any other gun ideas for this.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Re: Randomized Weapon in the Armory

Post by AnonymousNow » #342732

Random variety that forces security to think about what they've got to respond to threats with is a good idea.

If gun chances can be weighted, it'd be funny as all hell if some stupid officer fields a meteor pen and gets dunked for using lethals, leading to it being out in the wild.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #342835

I like the idea of stuff that forces people to play differently, this is a cool idea

the list of weapons that are able to spawn would require some serious balance passes but solid idea
Limey wrote:its too late.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #342841

Should add extremely low chances for ballistics as well, there's many guns that hardly see any use/deployment.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #342863

At least make riot grenades orderable from cargo if the launcher is happening.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #342940

DemonFiren wrote:At least make riot grenades orderable from cargo if the launcher is happening.
Yeah, and to expand on that, make a surplus weapon crate which would randomly give weapons from this list, probably around 4k-5k credits.
D&B wrote:Should add extremely low chances for ballistics as well, there's many guns that hardly see any use/deployment.
I'm somewhat hesitant to add too many ballistics because most antags are balanced around energy weapons as security's primary weapon- riot shotguns are generally the best counter to a lot of antagonists because their gear tends to counter energy weapons, ie EMP grenades, double eswords, eshields, etc.

I'll probably try coding this at some point this week, adding just the stuff currently found on the list and maybe a few other things if I see something I like. The general goal is to add weapons that aren't used elsewhere in the game/used rarely, this shouldn't replace RND created guns. Most of the weapons added should have tradeoffs, ie the burst laser does less damage and the laser rifle leaves you vulnerable while zoomed in. They should not be 100% OP. Given that, if anyone has any suggestions, please mention them here.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #342943

I'd make the laser rifle much more different from the ordinary laser gun tbh. A bit of syndie sniper, a bit of moist nugget.

On the plus side, it should probably deal way more than 20 damage. Maybe 60?
On the minus, very low capacity, needs two hands and should require cycling like the mosin - call it manually venting the heat sink or shit like that.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #342947

Actually yeah that sounds pretty good, I'll work on the burst laser/laser rifle tonight and see if I can get a PR up.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #342980

No traitor items. Dont want Arh und Dee getting illegal tech on a cult round
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #343058

Nothing too overtly military please. Sec is supposed to be a police force not a mercenary kill team. More less than lethal weapons need to be created in general.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #343062

A box of reinforced bolas and owlrangs
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #343074

Super Aggro Crag wrote:A box of reinforced bolas and owlrangs
Have it come with a bunch of animal/super hero costumes and martial arts chip gloves, entire security force made up of superhero nerds.

Having stuff spawn in as packs of weapons would make it easier to balance actually, and what pack can be mentioned in the round-start report.

Now to think up of weapon packs that are all of the same general strength.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #343105

The general goal is to add weapons that aren't used elsewhere in the game/used rarely
what a weak, poorly-thought out rationale

guess it fits the pattern of gun ideas though
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #343122

I kind of wish sec had an ancient grenade launcher that could load flashbangs and chem grenades with the extended range functionality of the sniper rifle and for any grenade launched by it to detonate on impact with the selected tile. It should be break-action and singleshot only, like the M79
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #343151

Adding... items?
NO
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #343175

pubby wrote:
The general goal is to add weapons that aren't used elsewhere in the game/used rarely

Variety in gameplay is not a bad goal to have. Mixing up the tools used a little bit is a good way of making people approach problems differently then they might normally.

For example, how would security play differently with just less than lethal ballistic weapons and no laser style weapons, certain tactics would no longer work.

Or for another example, how would a traitor who got information about what security is equipped with this round consider their TC choices.

It just would make strategic decision making somewhat possible, as well as add variety.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #343179

Dr_bee wrote:
pubby wrote:

Variety in gameplay is not a bad goal to have. Mixing up the tools used a little bit is a good way of making people approach problems differently then they might normally.

For example, how would security play differently with just less than lethal ballistic weapons and no laser style weapons, certain tactics would no longer work.

Or for another example, how would a traitor who got information about what security is equipped with this round consider their TC choices.

It just would make strategic decision making somewhat possible, as well as add variety.
Wanting Variety and wanting some of the unused guns to find themselves into the common round is a bit different though
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #343189

hey look steelpoint 2.0
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #343198

oranges wrote:hey look steelpoint 2.0
Glad they fixed the apostrophe bug in this revision.

Anyway, I'd suggest fluffing it by placing the random spawn in the contraband locker. Imply that the previous shift seized it from some enemy agent.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #343199

calzilla1 wrote:No traitor items. Dont want Arh und Dee getting illegal tech on a cult round
Super Aggro Crag wrote:A box of reinforced bolas and owlrangs
recent sec main here

contraband locker on metastation comes with semi-random loot in it, its always either
>combat shotgun
>stech pistol
>box of bolas/throwing stars

and the evidence lockers sometimes has stuff in it too.
Spoiler:
inb4 this now gets removed since coders know sec has something cool going for them
i am for the implementation of more loot to the armory though, but it'l never be added because "S-SEC POWERCREEP STOPPIN MUH MURDERBONES," just like how secborgs got removed
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #343213

I'm one of security's biggest antagonists, and yet I'm going to encourage this, because if the selection is wide and varied enough, I think it could be entertaining, especially if it can encourage creative, non-lethal thinking from sectypes. There's a bunch of stunning and wacky guns we can explore.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #343259

>stunning
>non-lethal
but why would you not kill them on the spot if they're already stunned

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #343273

DemonFiren wrote:>stunning
>non-lethal
it's really fucking hard for me to not reply to this seriously because i KNOW somebody actually thinks this way
Limey wrote:its too late.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #343279

one of the many reasons i stopped playing

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #343385

Qbopper wrote:
DemonFiren wrote:>stunning
>non-lethal
it's really fucking hard for me to not reply to this seriously because i KNOW somebody actually thinks this way
That problem is one of policy and server culture and not really in the scope of this idea. If we give the tools we can hope some things change or happen more often. But without some incentive to keep people in the round instead of murdering them like a psychopath as sec/vigilante that probably will keep happening.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #343397

PR up: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/31272.

Gonna work on this a bit tonight. Goal is to have at least the burst laser gun and laser rifle done by tomorrow, do the bayonet is tomorrow, and probably do the spawns tomorrow as well since that won't take much time.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #343466

Careful, you might actually make the warden manage the armoury instead of run around with a combat shotgun
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #343478

Before I gave up on making a meme of a map, I had replaced the entire contents of the armory with contraband lockers and a mech. This seems like a much more sane and balanced answer.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #343495

Sprites for both the laser sniper and burst laser would be great, although I can make my own it'd be nice to have something that looks good. Bayonet sprites as well would be nice. (unless there must be one for every gun in which case fuck that, we don't need bayonets.)
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #343526

How about this sort of thing as a starting point?

Quick and dirty energy gun edits, meant to make a shotgun-like burst laser and a rifle-like sniper laser. An actual spriter can do something with the file proper, if they like.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #343540

I actually like those sprites. I can color it green to fit the laser gun theme later, and add a scope. Sadly scopes are broken right now so I can add that once they're fixed
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #343641

So long as the weapon choices are balanced out thIs would be a neat idea.

Just don't take away the Temp Gun, it's a weapon for the secretly robust
The Clowns Pocket

Post by The Clowns Pocket » #344272

Steelpoint wrote:So long as the weapon choices are balanced out thIs would be a neat idea.

Just don't take away the Temp Gun, it's a weapon for the secretly robust
I mean, it was....
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #344294

Have to get back to this once a bunch of interesting and unique gun ideas have been made for it.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.