FTL Style-Random Encounters

A place to record your ideas for the game.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

FTL Style-Random Encounters

Post by BeeSting12 » #344115

Nice way to get ghosts in the round/cause conflict with the station:

Pirates:
Yarr! All pirates have an objective to steal a high risk item (same for whole team) or a certain amount of cash and fuel for their ship so they can leave. Scales with population, but for every half hour the round has gone on, a pirate is added until it reaches a max of five. (Because of RND getting better loot later on, three pirates could not take on a mech in lowpop after an hour and a half)

Armed with energy cutlasses, surplus rifles, and the captain gets his own nagant revolver. They can choose their landing spot similar to nuke ops.

Distress Beacon:
Will be 1 of 3 things: Hostile aliens, actual call for help which is divided even further into various types, and a Syndicate scout. Three minutes after the ship is placed in near-station space, an announcement is created.

Hostile Aliens:
Only spawns past two hours. Layout similar to what would be a trade ship with somewhat valuable loot to make it worth checking out. A few dead bodies lying around, and three live aliens- a drone, hunter, and sentinel. Several unopened alien eggs are lying around. Should be obvious what is intended to happen here- Aliens can get to the station and take over.

Syndicate Scout:
Small Syndicate ship with the ability to use syndicate comms/given codewords. Can interface with onstation traitors to give them loot/support. Their main goal is to defend their ship until backup can arrive, and only bail out if there's no other option. Both scouts are heavily armed, this is meant to be a challenge. There's also high-tier Syndicate loot onboard.

Actual Distress Call:
Needs fuel: Crew of three in a relatively small cargo ship spawns in near-station space, their job is to acquire fuel for their ship (legally or illegally) while keeping as much of their cargo as possible. Upon acquiring fuel they have the ability to launch and then their ship will act as a white ship basically- they can go between the derelict, lavaland, station, and random area in space. Onboard, they have a console and teleporter used to sell thing for money- their goal is to earn a certain amount of money for themselves. The cargo onboard their ship will never be enough to accomplish this, but they can get $$$ by trading with the station for more valuable items (guns for plasma/tech disks) or stealing.

Alien takeover: Similar to the hostile aliens event, except this will spawn spiders instead, and there's crew onboard trapped in the cockpit and a few other rooms, very lightly armed. Near the rear of the ship after fighting through tons of spiders, there's mid-tier loot. Beyond that, same goal as the "needs fuel" event- get X amount of cash.

Massive Hull Damage: Absolutely wrecked cargo ship with very little actual loot, main benefit is rescuing the three-four crewmembers for extra help onstation. (or more likely, four extra criminals for security to catch.)

NT Prisoner Ship: Set up as a well, prisoner transport ship. Four prisoners onboard and a few already-dead security guards for loot, plus an armory for prisoners to take from. Two minutes after landing, the prisoners can set the pilot console to launch to deep space. At the same time, Centcomm will give the announcement that there are prisoners attempting a hostile takeover of one of their ships. To add extra incentive for the station to stop them, Centcomm gives a rough location and adds that there may be a reward involved if security can bring them back alive. If hostile takeover is completed properly, which takes almost seven minutes, then prisoners can launch to deep space similar to white ship, visit the derelict, check out lavaland, etc. (essentially they're free!) Additionally, they get the option to fire cannons on the side of the ship at the station causing meteor level damage once the takeover's complete. (They could use this as a bargaining chip, ie You let us go and we won't fire BSA!)

I'd actually be happy to map all of these if someone's willing to code it and if someone even managed to code one I can probably take from their example and do the remainder.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Re: FTL Style-Random Encounters

Post by calzilla1 » #344126

Actually I would love a trader ship
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #344128

calzilla1 wrote:Actually I would love a trader ship
kikiyaya
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #344140

code the easiest one and use it for testing I'm going to look into how ftl13 handles their shit.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #344152

I'd be all about this. Weird extra roles erryround.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #344162

How about as an alternative to pirates, there can be a small band of WESTERN SPACE BANDITS. Equipped with six-shooters, rope (themed cuffs), tamed and saddled carp for transportation, and space suits that include bandanas and cowboy hats, their objective would be to raid the station and rob the crew. The bandit base includes a vault that tracks how much credits worth is everything stored inside, with the goal to pass a certain value.

Big issue is valids, if they were full-on antags bandits/pirates would just ignore their goal in favor of getting valids. Maybe dictate them to a rule of only killing people who are armed or uncooperative?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #344178

RandomMarine wrote:Big issue is valids, if they were full-on antags bandits/pirates would just ignore their goal in favor of getting valids. Maybe dictate them to a rule of only killing people who are armed or uncooperative?
The policy would be very similar for all ghost roles: Follow the flavour text. Pirates' goal would be simple enough, get the loot and go, all kills should only be in the name of getting loot. Prisoners/Syndicate scouts would be similar: Don't run to the station and murderbone, your primary goal is defense of the ship.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #344318

RandomMarine wrote:How about as an alternative to pirates, there can be a small band of WESTERN SPACE BANDITS. Equipped with six-shooters, rope (themed cuffs), tamed and saddled carp for transportation, and space suits that include bandanas and cowboy hats, their objective would be to raid the station and rob the crew. The bandit base includes a vault that tracks how much credits worth is everything stored inside, with the goal to pass a certain value.

Big issue is valids, if they were full-on antags bandits/pirates would just ignore their goal in favor of getting valids. Maybe dictate them to a rule of only killing people who are armed or uncooperative?
I'm only in support of western space bandits if they show up in a space train and are made of sun

Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #344340

starbound is a bad game
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #344341

DemonFiren wrote:starbound is a bad game
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #344346

DemonFiren wrote:SS13 is a bad game
:geek:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #344347

get this fake news bullshit away from me

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
megatiger78
Byond Username: Megatiger78

Post by megatiger78 » #344394

DemonFiren wrote:get this fake news bullshit away from me
when you stop spreading it
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #344428

DemonFiren wrote:get this fake news bullshit away from me
But you are the fake news
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #344887

DemonFiren wrote:starbound is a bad game
still, banditos made of star stuff are cool and you know it
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #346247

I'm all for these types of events/minor side "antags". Here's a couple I thought up
-Warriors out of time: Cold War soldiers (US or Soviet) doing time travel experiments end up on the station, ancient knights are teleported onto the station by some long-dead wizard. Could have objectives involving a take over/finding or making a means back

-Mummy: A mummy slams into the hull of the station, drawn to it by some esoteric curse. It has come to retrieve one random (but important) item or kill a Head of Staff's Pet. Strong, slow, always gets back up. If gibbed another mummy with the same name and goal arrives. This goes on until the curse is broken. Maybe make its speech incoherent to everyone except the Curator/Chaplain so it can't just ask/demand their objective item from the crew right away.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #346556

at first i was like
>mummy
>you can't really kill it
>interesting to the average /tg/ player in 2017 AD

then i figured
>mummy
>actually interesting if you're the one faggot who gets to murderbone as it

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #346892

I'd be okay with FTL mutant races too
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
1g88a
Byond Username: Ig88A

Post by 1g88a » #346951

DemonFiren wrote:at first i was like
>mummy
>interesting to the average /tg/ player in 2017 AD

then i figured
>mummy
>actually interesting if you're the one faggot who gets to murderbone as it
You could make the mummy nearly harmless that way it just wanders the station screaming impotently and unstoppablely.
DEAD: ADMIN(Hornygranny) says, "you play in my universe, normie"