just give miners rnd access already

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

just give miners rnd access already

Post by Deitus » #344704

most of the time i play miner science is either incompetent with rnd or havent even done it at all and i either have to ask to be let in or break in to do rnd myself. since the two departments are so mutually dependent on each other, not to mention they already share a radio channel, i really dont see a reason that miners shouldnt have basic sci access (i.e. no robotics/toxins/xeno, just front door and rnd)

fwoosh-tier RD's (aka "REEEEEEEEGETOUTOFMYLAB-search directors) need not apply
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Re: just give miners rnd access already

Post by captain sawrge » #344711

ask the hop
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #344714

captain sawrge wrote:ask the hop
>head competence
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344718

Ask the HoP
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #344719

the RD can give access as well
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #344746

Ask a welding tool and a wrench
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #344747

just make everyone spawn with a gun, full toolbelt, a medkit, and all access
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #344749

Kor wrote:just make everyone spawn with a gun, full toolbelt, a medkit, and all access
You forgot adrenals.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #344752

And a combat RCD, for when toolbelts aren't fast enough.
Also a spacesuit.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #344762

Oh look its another "I want to powergame my routine up without having to depend or rely on other people" thread.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344763

Assistants with toolbelts and insulated gloves when?
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #344777

its a privilege not a right, you should be cool enough to the scientists they want you in there
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #344822

Miners should have a permanent genetic disorder that they cannot interact with the RnD consoles at all.

Stop bitching about how you want everything and just work with what your job has. Which for Miners is a lot.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #344825

We can't give miners RnD access because they can ask the HoP but we can

-Give robotics sulphuric acid because they can't ask Chemistry
-Give Xenobio a chem dispenser because they can't ask RnD for the board or Chemistry for produce
-Give toxins canisters in various forms because they can't ask Atmos
-Give the RD firing pins because they can't ask cargo or security
-Give science in general a base to build and deploy because they can't ask the HoP
-Give science inducers because they can't ask engineering for repairs
-Give Xenobio monkey cubes because they can't ask cargo or botany
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #344827

I just find it really fucking stupid and hypocritical to mock those asking for extra access due to player based departmental stalling in cooperation when we routinely baby one department and its players with means and tools to never interact with anybody else until they are ready to kill everyone as an antagonist or to hunt valids as a non antagonist and praise said additions as quality of life changes.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #344831

We could just add everything from RnD to the mining vendors and replace the lab with some different kind of slimes, maybe little space-bats that you can feed with the fruits from botany and you get bats with different powers.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #344832

D&B wrote:I just find it really fucking stupid and hypocritical to mock those asking for extra access due to player based departmental stalling in cooperation when we routinely baby one department and its players with means and tools to never interact with anybody else until they are ready to kill everyone as an antagonist or to hunt valids as a non antagonist and praise said additions as quality of life changes.
Yeah most maps suck in terms of doing the game a favor by giving players just about everything they want.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Deitus

Post by Deitus » #344840

wow this turned into a circlejerk at mach speed, so try and hop off my dick a second here and consider the following:

why is everyone so terrified of QOL changes? any time one is brought up it is immediately met with "THAT MAKES IT TOO EASY" and "MUH SLIPPERY SLOPE." there's a difference between shortcuts and qol changes, and having access falls under that.
>hey guys lets let miners have science radio access
>NO WAY THEY SHOULD JUST COMMUNICATE WITH COMMON OR PDA MESSAGES WHAT NEXT ARE WE JUST GONNA LET OPS SPAWN WITH THE NUKE DISK XD

when two departments are so dependent on each other to progress to "end game" i would say its pretty important to facilitate interaction between the two
cedarbridge wrote:Oh look its another "I want to powergame my routine up without having to depend or rely on other people" thread.
oh look its another "cedarbridge makes a condescending post ignoring the issue at hand for muh powergame whining" powergaming is a buzzword that can be applied to anything and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. and yes, when science is 1) not there 2) not doing rnd 3) blatantly incompetent then it can be a bit hard to rely on them
Nilons wrote:its a privilege not a right, you should be cool enough to the scientists they want you in there
the times that people are actually doing rnd is fine with access but the problem i have is when nobody is there except one scientist that ran out at roundstart. if you wanted to go with the whole "privelage" thing then you could say that science has the privelage of using the materials miners gather when they could give it to cargo or even hold it hostage, the latter being a dick move but so would holding rnd upgrades from miners.
Steelpoint wrote:Miners should have a permanent genetic disorder that they cannot interact with the RnD consoles at all.
yeah nah you can fuck right off, you know full well that's a dumbass suggestion.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #344860

on a related note, just give quartermasters rnd access and a mining headset from roundstart
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #344861

It's a minerfag spergs out episode
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #344868

just give QM rnd access so that you constantly see a small squadron of a qm, 3 miners, and 2 cargo techs coming for tech disks making three land's worth of travel from cargonia to sciencia
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #344870

D&B wrote:I just find it really fucking stupid and hypocritical to mock those asking for extra access due to player based departmental stalling in cooperation when we routinely baby one department and its players with means and tools to never interact with anybody else until they are ready to kill everyone as an antagonist or to hunt valids as a non antagonist and praise said additions as quality of life changes.
welcome to open source development
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #344871

also lol @ deitus
>Why are we afraid of QOL slippery slope???
After this post
D&B wrote:we can

-Give robotics sulphuric acid because they can't ask Chemistry
-Give Xenobio a chem dispenser because they can't ask RnD for the board or Chemistry for produce
-Give toxins canisters in various forms because they can't ask Atmos
-Give the RD firing pins because they can't ask cargo or security
-Give science in general a base to build and deploy because they can't ask the HoP
-Give science inducers because they can't ask engineering for repairs
-Give Xenobio monkey cubes because they can't ask cargo or botany
captain sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #344872

why even have jobs. why even make the game mp.
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #344888

The station is built to conduct research its not for dirty peasant miners. Just give Scientists all access lmao

Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #344892

We could re-differentiate the scientists back into separate areas again (Toxins researchers, xenobiologists etc.)
huehuehue
Byond Username: Huehuehue1

Post by huehuehue » #344963

"hey, let's just give the people with dangerous tools and who have the balls to take on massive creatures from literally hell and win full access to the place most notorious for bombs, gold slime shenanigans and deadly weaponry plus overpowered versions of the shit they already have"
"nothing could possibly go wrong"
feem wrote:wtf i like fwooshposts now
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #344968

Deitus wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Oh look its another "I want to powergame my routine up without having to depend or rely on other people" thread.
oh look its another "cedarbridge makes a condescending post ignoring the issue at hand for muh powergame whining" powergaming is a buzzword that can be applied to anything and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. and yes, when science is 1) not there 2) not doing rnd 3) blatantly incompetent then it can be a bit hard to rely on them
The stock answer is then "too bad." You're a miner, not a scientist. If you wanted to be a scientist you'd have become one. Miners mine. That's literally what the role does. The fact that our rules expand allowable player character knowledge to literally everything that exists doesn't give a design reason to expand the number of things a role can to do to literally everything that exists. If science isn't there, see the HoP. If science isn't doing R&D, use your mouth words and convince them to do so. If science is "blatantly incompetent" then convince them to let you in or deal with it. You're not entitled to goodies from science merely because you arrived with minerals. You're a miner. You already have access to huge amounts of goodies that nobody else on the station has access to. Pretending that we need to blur the lines between departments even more than they already are for the sake of "Quality of Life" is stupid and just streamlines interactive content out of the game by allowing players to just skip over (as almost always) player interaction.

This is ignoring obvious shit like "providing minerals to science does not make you a member of the science department. Miners are service, scientists are not. Part of what makes SS13 what it is is the difference between culture and content of the various departments. Each is meant to depend on the others to varying degrees, but each is also meant to be its own area ruled by its own head of staff.

By the same logic, you could give anyone any access at roundstart to any place that has things they would want. Science would become a free for all. Cargo would be a free for all.

No
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #345118

All I see from this thread is people, or in this case one person, wanting to continue to blur the lines between jobs once again and make the game require less cooperation and dependence, both words being very foreign concept in this game already.

When I see Assistants and Miners performing 'complicated' research and development, engineers performing surgical interventions and the Chaplain wiring a highly dangerous and explosive power source, all I begin to see is that your 'job' simply dictates the access on your card and the tools you spawn with, and nothing else of note.

Which is why I detest desires by people to further blur the line and make people be more a jack of all trades, where we should be doing the opposite and making people more dependent on one another, not more independant. Not giving the Virologist more plasma, not giving Xenobio a replenishable source of monkeys, not giving RnD firing pins, the list goes on.
Hatfish
Byond Username: Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #345157

Why do scientists get to cut out the middleman by building an aux base but it's a big no no for miners to get something similar?
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #345158

Hatfish wrote:Why do scientists get to cut out the middleman by building an aux base but it's a big no no for miners to get something similar?
The aux base isn't intended for scientists to mine with, it's supposed to be a base for miners that scientists can build for them. It's why, prior to the blind drop addition, miners had to use the remote to set coordinates for them before they could be deployed.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #345160

I thought it was for miners to make the base for rounds that last longer than usual and there's nothing else to do.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #345163

Steelpoint wrote:I thought it was for miners to make the base for rounds that last longer than usual and there's nothing else to do.
I often use it as a base for curator adventures, and it is handy to drop near the golem ship for diplomatic ADVENTURE!
huehuehue
Byond Username: Huehuehue1

Post by huehuehue » #345198

Dr_bee wrote: I often use it as a base for curator adventures, and it is handy to drop near the golem ship for diplomatic ADVENTURE!
""""""""""diplomatic""""""""""
feem wrote:wtf i like fwooshposts now
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #345203

just give security all access except command already

most of the time i play security the ai is either incompetent with opening doors or hasnt even learned the door hotkey and i either have to ask to be let in or break in to get valids myself. since security and the station are so mutually dependent on each other, not to mention they already share a radio channel, i really dont see a reason that security shouldnt have all access (i.e. no heads offices/bridge, just everywhere else)

fwoosh-tier HoPs's (aka "REEEEEEEEGETOUTOFMYOFFICE-HoPs) need not apply
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?