Adding some strategy to blob

A place to record your ideas for the game.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Adding some strategy to blob

Post by onleavedontatme » #353817

Blob does not have many choices to make or many mechanics to play with. It mostly has to know the build order and place its passive bonus tiles properly and hope it gets points faster than anyone bothers to kill it.

Let us brainstorm new abilities.

I was considering letting it pick its chem per node but that might be tricky to code/it might end up always picking emp.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Adding some strategy to blob

Post by Anonmare » #353823

I was looking at Goon's blob and we could probably implement some things from there. Like building blob turrets that do weak damage and have different effects on people depending on their reagent choice.

Or replacing a tile with a reflective one that has a good chance of reflecting shots back at attackers but are weaker to melee.

We could also have a basic upgrade system so blobs can keep up with the arms race between them and R&D
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #353828

blob emitters that shoot in one direction and act just like emitters
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #353848

make the core shield blob walls resistant to xray lasers?

a blob like the factory only instead of the giant spores it's more semi-consistent stream of weak little puff spores that are like 1-2 hits to kill but crowd up and tank a shot from lasers or bullets

probably a really dumb idea but since smoke machines are a thing what if you could make a blob "smoke machine" that spews out a gas in an area that does your regent damage. obviously not as big as real smoke machines but a small area of denial

another thing which I don't know how it could be done is maybe someway to toggle nodes expanding onto walls. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but sometimes there are cases where say you pop in maint and the easy eay to your core from space is blocked by rwalls, but if you put a node down near that it would expand over them and destroy them making it pretty easy to blam right to your core.

e: also maybe make attacking/killing/converting mobs give you some blob points
Last edited by TheWiznard on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #353866

Kor wrote:I was considering letting it pick its chem per node but that might be tricky to code/it might end up always picking emp.
Somebody suggested chem rerolls randomly generating a list of 3 or 5 or whatever chems, and allowing the blob to pick from the list, reducing the effective RNG a bit
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #353884

CosmicScientist wrote:
Anondoe has an idea with putting in an arms race although that might be better to tie it to damage taken by the blob and if it varies based on the source of damage. So the blobby gains upgrade points from being attacked (the crew could ignore it to starve it of points until they get better weapons) and if it takes into account what hits it (welder, emitter, X-ray, flash bang), then it could hopefully scale based on how good or bad the crew is. It'd be a reaction to participating player population and skill, hopefully, rather than a static system that assumes certain skill levels and fighting population.
How about doing away with chem blob for the most part and instead let the blob evolve and adapt? It could start as a generic, undifferentiated green mass of flesh but over time it evolve to fill a specific niche or to counter a dominant strategy. So it passively generates evo points but it also passively keeps track of the damage it receives, and how it receives it, and that affects the prices of the evolutions. So if it's being attacked by assistants with welders a lot, it'll find it easier to evolve adaptations that counter that (like spines that react to melee damage). If it doesn't get hit by welders for a while though, the discount starts decreasing and each adaptation bought makes the others more expensive.

Reagents could be instead be rolled into the adaptation system and the blob has to purchase reagents but can switch between the ones it has rather cheaply.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #353885

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Kor wrote:I was considering letting it pick its chem per node but that might be tricky to code/it might end up always picking emp.
Somebody suggested chem rerolls randomly generating a list of 3 or 5 or whatever chems, and allowing the blob to pick from the list, reducing the effective RNG a bit
I approve of this.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #354206

since xhuis is a shitler and won't make obvious btd5 towers for clock, throw them in blob.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #354218

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:since xhuis is a shitler and won't make obvious btd5 towers for clock, throw them in blob.
top 10 posts of all time!!
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #354782

A lot of these ideas are the same in my blob thread in feedvack
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #355448

Remove Blob, it's fucking trash.