Malfunction Mode

A place to record your ideas for the game.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Malfunction Mode

Post by kevinz000 » #355600

Basically, reintroduce Malfunction as a mode, and keep traitor AIs where they are.
While traitor AIs can still do everything they can currently do, malfunction AIs will get a wide variety of powers and a new CPU/research system instead of just points to buy things with to make them able to compete as a one-man antag.
Ideas, suggestions, comments?

And no I'm not going to promise to code this because I have too much stuff right now but hey, maybe when I get time :)
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Malfunction Mode

Post by Anonmare » #355650

Rework malf mode to be a computer virus that can ping-pong between APCs but can't move between APCs once the override starts
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #355666

Anonmare wrote:Rework malf mode to be a computer virus that can ping-pong between APCs but can't move between APCs once the override starts
i'm trying to find the john oxford-tier post where i tried to suggest something like that so i can claim that this was my original idea
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355707

it's also nice that once the ai is revealed as malf there's no hesitation - you know that it's you and the crew versus all the silicons, which is a good change of pace from the traitor modes
Limey wrote:its too late.
pogoco25
Byond Username: Pogoco25

Post by pogoco25 » #355766

I'd be down for this. Right now tator Ai is just wait for the crew/antags to kill 75% of the station and then pop doomsday and win.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #355797

I was just thinking about this recently. I kind of miss having suddenly every door and firelock bolt and shut and everybody going "ohhh shit" for 3 seconds before telecomms got shut off.

If there were a way to make the mode playable for more than just the 3 people who preemptively grabbed tools and insulated gloves maybe it would be worth readding, but the main flaw when it was removed was that it just locked too many people out of actually enjoying the conflict of the round because very few people were equipped to even break out of a bolted down room, much less confront the AI directly.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355819

Half the adventure was scrambling for whatever you had on hand to find a way out. Rushing to finish that thermite before the AI realized and water bombed your chem maker, bashing out windows to avoid the shocked doors before the plasma fire spreads to your room, scavenging corpses for tools and space protection on the way out of danger to regroup with survivors.

And the "hey guys just got back from mining what's going on here?" memes
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #355826

cedarbridge wrote:Half the adventure was scrambling for whatever you had on hand to find a way out. Rushing to finish that thermite before the AI realized and water bombed your chem maker, bashing out windows to avoid the shocked doors before the plasma fire spreads to your room, scavenging corpses for tools and space protection on the way out of danger to regroup with survivors.

And the "hey guys just got back from mining what's going on here?" memes
I agree, but even then the second main issue IIRC was that the fights on the AI core were incredibly repetitive, too. Either the borgs were incompetent or the AI got caught too early and was easily stomped by the exact same entry method as the previous malf round, or there are 30 airlocks that are bolt-shocked surrounding the core and the ghosts get to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until the nuke goes off or the AI fucks up and lets itself die somehow.
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #355837

Obligatory re-add telesci.

Though I remember a majority of my AI kills were from gibtoniting a hole in the side of the satellite and throwing floor tiles.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355839

Most borgs still don't realise you can move the turrets around
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355871

i think if people had a reason (beyond "this is nice and a good idea") to help get other people out of bolted down rooms when the ai went nuts then it could help resolve the issue of "only some assistants and engineers can play the game now"
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355942

Technically anyone can now with destructible machinery. All you need to do is grab a fire extinguisher to smash the closet blue APC or camera or vent (why can you smash a vent off the floor?) to help the better equipped crewmembers
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355976

Anonmare wrote:Technically anyone can now with destructible machinery. All you need to do is grab a fire extinguisher to smash the closet blue APC or camera or vent (why can you smash a vent off the floor?) to help the better equipped crewmembers
you can smash a vent in so it collapses on itself maybe?

and yeah but that still bolts you in, so that's a bit of an issue
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #355977

There's usually multiple points of ingress to a room, if there isn't - most people have at least the basic tools on them.

If not then there's only so much you can do, even a lawyer is powerless against a nuclear operative without preparation
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #355978

Anonmare wrote:There's usually multiple points of ingress to a room, if there isn't - most people have at least the basic tools on them.
I suppose it depends on the station layout and job

it's going to be easier for some people to find their way out on their own and it's probably impossible to find a good way to incentivize helping people anyways :roll:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #356014

I mean, I don't think its really feasible to build an antag that is an overwhelming panic response but also counterable by literally everyone without tools or assistance. The panic and adventure in Malfunction is that many times you WILL be helpless. You'll have to struggle, try to find help, look for any options for escape. Its a struggle because its supposed to be.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #356022

yeah i'm not saying it needs to be easy mode for everyone, i was just wondering if there would be some way to incentivize saving other people beyond the fact that it's nice + more people helps, but you can't really in any way I could think of
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #356045

Playing traitor AI on a slow round is fantastic. I have plenty of time to try and hack every APC I want, set up a plan with whatever cyborgs I have on hand, and try and lay everything I can get down before the crew starts to get suspicious and catch on to my schemes.

There's a certain thrill in trying to hide every action I do to ensure I'm not found out. Try and see how many rooms I can bolt-depower down to hack the APC within it before the crew finally finds one and tries to get in. And, when I am caught, there's the thrill of scrambling to set everything in motion before they can get too prepared and shut me down before I go loud.

Watching the chaos unfold of triggering the doomsday and watching everyone go into a full blown panic is lovely. If I'm confident enough I won't even turn off comms, I'll spend the whole time gloating over the radio and roleplaying the classic malfunctioning AI while I thwart what few actions the crew can take to stop me.

I do want to be able to relive that on Malf mode. With no other traitors to ruin the round, it gives me plenty of time to do what I want and move the round how I prefer: slow, but with a sweet ending.

---
I think the biggest issue that needs to be fixed if malf mode comes back is for the AI to have some basic defense against EMPs. EMPs shut AIs down worse then any amount of bombs or hacking can, because you don't even have to tear down a wall to do it. I have a LOT of ideas posted in my feedback thread for AIs though, and not much of them have gone through.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #356046

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Playing traitor AI on a slow round is fantastic. I have plenty of time to try and hack every APC I want, set up a plan with whatever cyborgs I have on hand, and try and lay everything I can get down before the crew starts to get suspicious and catch on to my schemes.

There's a certain thrill in trying to hide every action I do to ensure I'm not found out. Try and see how many rooms I can bolt-depower down to hack the APC within it before the crew finally finds one and tries to get in. And, when I am caught, there's the thrill of scrambling to set everything in motion before they can get too prepared and shut me down before I go loud.

Watching the chaos unfold of triggering the doomsday and watching everyone go into a full blown panic is lovely. If I'm confident enough I won't even turn off comms, I'll spend the whole time gloating over the radio and roleplaying the classic malfunctioning AI while I thwart what few actions the crew can take to stop me.
The amount of sneaky pokerfacing required for a successful old-style malf was really high. You have to keep the borgs under control, find a good time to nab the captain/RD and space their IDs, find a safe time to space the spare board, wipe the R&D servers, hide your APCs from prowling greyshirts or engineers setting up solars, convincingly name fall guys when you slip even slightly, stir up just the right sort of trouble to make distractions away from your preparations, and so on.

All of this is even harder on full population. One of my proudest moments was going delta on a minimum timer and having OOC after talking about how they had absolutely no idea that it was me until the timer started and the station turned into a fireball. AI is a fairly difficult role in the first place so its fitting that the antagonist role built for it should also be difficult.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #356051

gives all malf powers to traitor ai then bring back malf mode meme

but for real I think it could be interesting.
imo edit:could kind of see turning traitor ai into syndicate ai, lowering the price of the law board, and changing it to include your name as syndicate agent in the ai laws. I mean i guess what; you could buy a syndi/binary key to holler at the ai for this. that way you'd have a for sure way to get the ai's cooperation with you. negatives to this is I guess you couldn't do silly laws but you could still just order it to. alternatively make the law board now like a wireless one time use item that directly adds your name to the ai laws instead, so it still has a unique purpose. also also you could maybe keep it at 14 or whatever it is, then if the ai is just a normal ai, completely turn it into a traitor ai with your name in the laws. giving you the bonus of an ai with powers. possible nerfs could be limit the powers the ai gets so its not total malf levels but could have camera mics and something else. Maybe make it unable to be reset once used and possibly explode when killed/carded so it can't rat you out when it's dead

the main way I remember dying as cedarbridge said was old mining where blessed heretic at the mention of malf would have two reaction zero gibtonite that would destroy the entire ai sat instantly killing you if you were still in the sat. Also I think it was being old mining it was a lot easier to get a ton of gibtonite with no danger to collect. edit: also mining was RIGS and not flimsy suits
Last edited by TheWiznard on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #356058

TheWiznard wrote:the main way I remember dying as cedarbridge said was old mining where blessed heretic at the mention of malf would have two reaction zero gibtonite that would destroy the entire ai sat instantly killing you if you were still in the sat. Also I think it was being old mining it was a lot easier to get a ton of gibtonite with no danger to collect. edit: also mining was RIGS and not flimsy suits
The majority issue was the free RIG suits from space mining more than the gibtonite. The gib was the blasting charge that could only be placed thanks to the plated RIG.
pogoco25
Byond Username: Pogoco25

Post by pogoco25 » #356090

So, if Malf were to come back as a gamemode, what would change to make it fit as a solo antag? I can only really think of more abilities, but im kinda at a loss for what those could be. maybe something that is just a remote emag? Idk
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #356092

If there was a better way for the AI to move around besides APCs it could lessen the repetition of the final battle without reducing it to a game of hide and seek (mech control kind of does this but it's pretty situational as it requires a mech to exist and not be occupied)
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #356093

Maybe a power that makes the AI core grow spider legs that skitter around really quickly
Spoiler:
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #356095

wasnt the whole reason malf ai became traitor ai was because people got fed up with sole antagonists not knowing how to play it well and that rounds were short and cookie-cutter?

have we just come full circle to wanting it back now? just leave it as-is imo, the only difference between malf ai and traitor ai is if they're solo or not.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #356108

PKPenguin321 wrote:If there was a better way for the AI to move around besides APCs it could lessen the repetition of the final battle without reducing it to a game of hide and seek (mech control kind of does this but it's pretty situational as it requires a mech to exist and not be occupied)
Overriding an occupied mech should trap the puny meatsack inside. Possibly with option to forcibly eject them.
Bonus horror points for turning the mech's internal air supply off and strolling into a fire. Or carrying them into lava and ejecting them, or abducting them off into space, or whatever.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #356118

Mech domination forcibly ejects the pilot and moves the AI into the mech
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #356191

One of the main issues with malf mode I think was that you only had 100 points to work with, hacking didn't give them any like it does now. With limited resources, you generally had to play a certain way or those points are wasted.

That was my impression anyway
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #356206

I dont want malfunction back, I just want a proper nuke instead of this pansy doomsday device. Also I want the counter back for the nuke because that timer was always terrifying
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕