Supermatter gas interactions brainstorm thread

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Supermatter gas interactions brainstorm thread

Post by Anonmare » #357240

Atmos has acquired its new gases but at this current point in time, the gases do not have any noteworthy interactions with the Supermatter. The purpose of this thread is to deliberate on the gases and how they affect the Supermatter crystal. The gases that are lacking a reaction with the crystal at this point in time are:-
  • Water Vapor
  • Tritium
  • BZ
  • Nitryl/Brown gas (or whatever it's named right now)
  • Hyper-Nobilium
  • Stimulum
  • Pluoxium
(Fusion itself actually isn't a gas)

The Supermatter has five components to it that the usual suspects influence: Temperature, waste gas production, power transmission, heat resistance and power decay. Therefore, it would make sense to affect these when discussing this topic. My suggestion follow the following lines:

As Tritium is effectively a more volatile version of plasma, it would make the most sense to make it function similarly to plasma but with a greater degree of danger. Massively boosting power transmission, waste gas production and crystal temperature.

BZ gas gas's properties are hallucinogenic in nature, perhaps its presence could reinforce the crystal's heat resistance greatly at the cost of making it cause vivid hallucinations to those exposed to it without meson scanners on, even for a few seconds.

Brown gas is acidic in nature, perhaps it's presence causes constant damage to the crystal but boosts it's power transmission equivalently to oxygen.

Hyper-Nobilium is an easy one and I'd suggest giving it freon's old properties.

Stimulum is the safer and stronger version of brown gas. I'd personally have it so that it boosts the Supermatter's power transmission to the same level as plasma without the downsides - very little waste gas and heat is produced.

Pluxoxium is produced by CO2 being exposed to radiation and as such, could act as a safer alternative to CO2. Counteracting the energy decay to a lesser effect without affecting the crystal's other properties. Still dangerous if you use only pluxoxium.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Supermatter gas interactions brainstorm thread

Post by Qbopper » #357242

water vapor should form steam

it doesn't need to be a gas or anything it should just say something about it sizzling because that would be neato
Limey wrote:its too late.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #357244

Maybe vapour reduces the crystal's temperature massively but is destroyed in the process? It could function like coolant
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #357245

Now Freon is gone a coolant would make sense.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
RandolfTheMeh
Byond Username: RandolfTheMeh

Post by RandolfTheMeh » #357246

Anonmare wrote: Pluxoxium is produced by CO2 being exposed to radiation and as such, could act as a safer alternative to CO2. Counteracting the energy decay to a lesser effect without affecting the crystal's other properties. Still dangerous if you use only pluxoxium.
Plux forms naturally in the SM engine, as CO2 waste produced is transmuted due to the radiation the SM naturally emits. For this reason alone I feel that it should not be considered a "safer alternative" in any manner, and should be more dangerous than CO2. A property that goes against its physical ones when used outside the SM, but I find it cheap to make a gas naturally produced by the SM be deemed "safer".
Rarely posts
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #357247

I kinda like the idea of gasses that make the SM produce more power at the cost of making it more dangerous to work on (instead of more likely to delaminate).

Maybe one could increase power output and cause anomalies to start spawning at lower power levels, but also at a slower rate so they're easier to deal with.

I'm not sure which gas though. I haven't messed with them too much yet.
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #357258

TribeOfBeavers wrote:I kinda like the idea of gasses that make the SM produce more power at the cost of making it more dangerous to work on (instead of more likely to delaminate).
What if one reaction heated up gas in a wide range of tiles around the supermatter, even going through walls? So that engineers either have to build a wider SM chamber, or deal with the surrounding room potentially getting too hot to handle.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #357261

Make one of the gasses cause the crystal to shoot out electricity a-la a tesla while increasing the stability of the crystal.

This means you can set up tesla coils to harvest this expelled energy or repair the crystal quickly, but it also makes the engine room STUPIDLY dangerous if not properly set up.

Also, Tritium should cause the crystal to generate stronger radiation, so letting the crystal getting hot enough to create it is bad, but you can also pump it into the chamber to increase power output at the cost of danger.

Similar ideas but different uses and flavor.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #382700

let water vapour to be separated into tritium and oxygen at cost of crystal's energy.So you can use it as freon before to stop SM setup from exploding.Or use tritium to burn it in special chamber with turbine and rad collectors.