Familiarity System

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Familiarity System

Post by Cheridan » #28171

As you're probably aware, the current system of speech suggests that every person on the station is capable of identifying each other by their voice. Even if someone has their face covered, as soon as they speak they're completely given away.

This makes sense for smaller, close knit stations where it's assumed that everyone has met up with each other in some sort of pre-round orientation meeting. But in a 60+ person scenario, it begins to make less sense. I certainly don't know the voices, much less the names, of everyone I've worked or gone to school with.

The familiarity system would be a simulation of this. As people speak, you gain familiarity with their voice.
  • If you are unfamiliar with someone and they're not wearing an ID, they'll show up as Unknown.
    If you are unfamiliar with someone and they are wearing an ID and mask, their voice will show up as their ID.
    If you are unfamiliar with someone and they are wearing an ID without a mask, their voice will show up as "Unknown (As ID Name)". (It's assumed that IDs are photo ids, so you'd be able to tell that bald dude with a mohawk isn't Zoey Webb).
    If you are familiar with someone wearing a different ID, they'll show up like they currently do, "RealName (As ID Name)"

Radios kind of mess all this up I guess, something would have to be done so that chat isn't just 100 Unknown people. Handwave it as radios having facecams? :^)

Basically, you'll be familiar with people who you've heard often. This will likely include your coworkers and people you've chatted with. This will also include people who you've heard over the radio often, even if you haven't spoken to them personally. Therefore, trying to pose as a clown who has been very vocal over the radio advertising his clown mart would be difficult. Posing as an antisocial maintenance-lurker assistant? Well, that's simple. ;)

Now, the current speech system doesn't handle people disguising their voices. Even if you know someone pretty well, they can still disguise their voice to make themselves sound differently. There would be a Disguise Voice/Speak Normally toggle, which would make your speech count as unfamiliar even to people who are familiar to you. However, ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴇxᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ sʜᴏᴡ ᴜᴘ ɪɴ sᴍᴀʟʟᴄᴀᴘs, ɪɴᴅɪᴄᴀᴛɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ sᴘᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ ɪɴ "Tʜᴇ Bᴀᴛᴍᴀɴ Vᴏɪᴄᴇ".

Overall, the system would add depth to disguising allowing better random muggings and other Antag -> Victim communication, and would give an incentive to small talk with your fellow crewmembers hopefully leading to more total interaction and roleplay.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Re: Familiarity System

Post by Ezel » #28174

gonna kill you with a batton

I like this idea alot since this pushes more sense into the game
Hearing a voice get know it
Gas masked guy voice dont know it
Genuis!
The future is horrible!
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #28175

Its an interesting system I'll grant it that.

It could work, of course its going to be confusing for a while.

The system would need to be set up so anyone in a relevant department is a 'known' individual. So someone in Science would know anyone who works in Science. Also any heads of staff would need to know everyone else. The Captain will be an interesting case to look at, as well as the geneticist knowing everyone in two departments.

You know what would be neat, if your recording someone (Say a Security investigation) that if you get the people talking to state their name, then when the recording is played back it will state their names.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #28178

muh codebabby
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #28184

This makes sense for smaller, close knit stations where it's assumed that everyone has met up with each other in some sort of pre-round orientation meeting. But in a 60+ person scenario, it begins to make less sense. I certainly don't know the voices, much less the names, of everyone I've worked or gone to school with.
Dude what the fuck, it's a video game. And 60 people isn't that much to remember, not to mention every time someone new joins their names are announced, just imagine in your autistic mind that the PDA displays their name and their face for a short while.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28190

Scott wrote:
Dude what the fuck, it's a video game. And 60 people isn't that much to remember, not to mention every time someone new joins their names are announced, just imagine in your autistic mind that the PDA displays their name and their face for a short while.
He's right though. Not everyone makes a mental list of every person they've ever been in a building with. I don't know half of my graduating class. That's not autism. Its the opposite.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #28193

What cedar said, just because you've been with a group of people for a long time does not mean you will know all of their names.

I would imagine only the Captain and maybe the Head of Personal would know everyone by default. Considering their positions.

I think a system like this could work, but it would depend on how it is implemented as well as the scope of its game play impact.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28199

You don't need to make a mental list, remembering faces and names is easy for people.

This system makes no sense in a round based game with rounds that last an hour, two some times, three and four rarely.
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #28204

It's not about realisms.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #28209

How about just everyone in your department starts off as familiar?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28217

Reimoo wrote:How about just everyone in your department starts off as familiar?
I think that's what was suggested thusfar. The only real confusion was on points like the captain and maybe Head of Personnel. Both would have some reason to know each crew member.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28218

Miauw wrote:It's not about realisms.
Except it is.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #28221

What exactly is the gameplay benefit that we are aiming for here?

I can see this giving traitors a chance to slip in and out and not get identified which is a positive.

I'm concerned it will give the greytide an edge though.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28223

oranges wrote:What exactly is the gameplay benefit that we are aiming for here?

I can see this giving traitors a chance to slip in and out and not get identified which is a positive.

I'm concerned it will give the greytide an edge though.
Just about anything that benefits a stealthy traitor will benefit a greytiding shitler too. Punish the shitlers for being shit and let the antags be antags.
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #28236

Steelpoint wrote:The system would need to be set up so anyone in a relevant department is a 'known' individual. So someone in Science would know anyone who works in Science. Also any heads of staff would need to know everyone else. The Captain will be an interesting case to look at, as well as the geneticist knowing everyone in two departments.
I'd make it so that everyone in a department knows everyone else in a department, and everyone knows every head of staff. Traitors should also know the faces and voices of any kill targets. Maybe everyone should also know a few other random people at the start of the round. Beyond that, it's up to meeting an interaction threshold to learn everyone's faces and voices. I like that this could give a motivation to non-traitors to make smalltalk and such, which gives traitors more cover for talking about traitor things together or trying to manipulate non-traitors. As things stand, if some guy from another department keeps making small talk and following me around, I can be pretty sure that he's trying to kill me.

This effect would be strongest if only face-to-face interaction led to familiarity. I think radios shouldn't work toward familiarity, and instead the scripting to identify what job role is attached to the ID of the one talking should be activated by default. That should keep radio chatter from being too impenetrable.

Anyone saying that this is just a realism change for the sake of realism is just being obtuse. It would have significant effects on the way the game is played, and it should be evaluated on whether those effects would be positive or not.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #28258

We could handwave radio stuff by assuming each users headset is tied to their name in the AI database - So the name is always known

would seem a bit weird when you switch headsets but lets assume they are biometrically activated.

Also the AI should probably know everyone by default.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28292

Um

Why?
Arete
Byond Username: Arete

Post by Arete » #28306

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Um

Why?
Cheridan wrote:Overall, the system would add depth to disguising allowing better random muggings and other Antag -> Victim communication, and would give an incentive to small talk with your fellow crewmembers hopefully leading to more total interaction and roleplay.
You're welcome.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #28307

This seems like it would be very complicated to do. Also it would either require removing the status bar or having everyone named "Unknown" there. The webclient has some extra flexibility there so it's not a dealbreaker.

Well obviously if somebody says their name, you should begin identifying them right away. It would be odd if somebody said "I'm Dante Smith, how can I help you?" and they still showed up as unknown. Which, yayifications, means you have to start looping through all speech. Radios can just simply be "Unknown" for everyone you don't know. Actually now that I think about it, that would be a neat thing where everyone would really have to say their name to each other, which might alone help roleplay a lot. And someone who wants to stay anonymous just shows up as unknown constantly. I'm liking this idea the more I hear about it.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28320

Arete wrote:
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Um

Why?
Cheridan wrote:Overall, the system would add depth to disguising allowing better random muggings and other Antag -> Victim communication, and would give an incentive to small talk with your fellow crewmembers hopefully leading to more total interaction and roleplay.
You're welcome.
Overall, the system would add pain in the ass for absolutely everybody, extra pain in the ass for security, command and anyone who likes socializing, extreme benefits for greytiding and antagonists and on top of that it will absolutely destroy any little interactions we have currently.

So, I ask again. Why?

Not to mention that it has nothing to do with realism as it is just a way to let people distinguish those tiny sprites that would be actual faces in reality. Hence plastic surgery changes that name of yours. Because your appearance changes.

To sum up, please no, absolutely horrible idea in my opinion.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #28359

What if people could add tags to unknown people?

For example, if someone tells you his name is "John Smith" you could tagging as such and his name would show up as that in the chat. It doesn't have to be a name, either. It could just be "that guy with a funny hat".

This would hopefully remove some of the unknowns that would fill the chat and also lends itself to being able to lie about your identity and temporarily get away with it.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28364

What if we don't do this at all because this isn't Bay?
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #28365

Uhh...60 people is complex and large for you?
Miauw

Post by Miauw » #28370

Scott wrote:What if we don't do this at all because this isn't Bay?
try giving actual arguments.

I mostly agree with MrPerson, this would be pretty hellish to implement. Theoretically speech can be handled and constructed by every hearer seperately, but it is usually constructed by the speaker and only constructed by the hearer if it's neccesary. This would basically require it to be constructed for every person seperately (slow), while looping through several lists (sloooow).
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #28393

The speaker can precheck for interesting things and report those out. Then the listener just checks for special flags rather than having to loop through all speech themselves.

Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28405

Miauw wrote:
Scott wrote:What if we don't do this at all because this isn't Bay?
try giving actual arguments.

I mostly agree with MrPerson, this would be pretty hellish to implement. Theoretically speech can be handled and constructed by every hearer seperately, but it is usually constructed by the speaker and only constructed by the hearer if it's neccesary. This would basically require it to be constructed for every person seperately (slow), while looping through several lists (sloooow).
How is "this isn't bay" not a valid argument? /tg/ isn't heavy on roleplay, this is a thing for more serious roleplay, which we don't have here. It isn't even server policy to have serious roleplay going on, this system has no place here.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #28415

How is it serious roleplay?
MedicInDisquise

Post by MedicInDisquise » #28430

This is convulated just to baindaid-fix a problem that should be solved with the traitor item itself.

I say make a new traitor item that you wear as an exosuit, that allows you completely disquise your skin, hair colour, uniform and hat. Cloaking Device that auto disquises you?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28458

Scott wrote:How is "this isn't bay" not a valid argument?
If you are asking this question seriously I think its time for you to reconsider your argumentative prowess.
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #28472

MedicInDisquise wrote:This is convulated just to baindaid-fix a problem that should be solved with the traitor item itself.

I say make a new traitor item that you wear as an exosuit, that allows you completely disquise your skin, hair colour, uniform and hat. Cloaking Device that auto disquises you?
It's not a problem with a specific traitor item, it's a problem with trying to disguise in general.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #28712

Can we keep discussion related to the OP's idea and not divulge to "Bay vs /tg/" or other (potentially good!) ideas.

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #28906

Not sure this will really help antagonists. Doesn't it work both ways? So you could trail the wrong person in a profession or get thrown off for an entire round by them putting on job atypical clothing. So would traitors get pre-existing knowledge of their targets? Wouldn't changelings reset this system by changing genomes making genetic disguises pointless and making them unknowns or worse popping up as a known you have not previously met?
What about the head of personnel? Isn't it their job to work the roster and change records so they should know everyone? Isn't security just as strong if they religiously work the records and just stun all these unknowns set to arrest? If it does not work over the radio how will the AI get to know anybody? If it does not work over the radio what is to stop misinformation becoming rife without consequence?
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #29424

Konork wrote:
MedicInDisquise wrote:This is convulated just to baindaid-fix a problem that should be solved with the traitor item itself.

It's not a problem with a specific traitor item, it's a problem with trying to disguise in general.
Disguising is easy, there is no problem, people are just too lazy to engineer eachother
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #29462

It's a super-advanced future radio. Don't ask too many questions how it works. The last guy who asked questions about how Telecomms knew everyones name got disappeared.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.