The Production Machine and Design Database

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Gamersauce404
Byond Username: Gamersauce404

The Production Machine and Design Database

Post by Gamersauce404 » #360537

Core Idea
When you destroy something with the destructive analyser, it adds a new record to another database: the “design database” - different from the protolathe list.
From the design database, you can print a set of manufacturing equipment for a design, the cost increasing as the production run increases.
Done using a "designlathe"
Put the manufacturing equipment into a “production machine”. Feed the production machine resources, and it automatically produces that item until the production run completes. The cost-per-item is cheaper than if produced using a lathe.
Science Changes
Scanned items give departmental research points
When researching a tech node, either departmental or general research points may be used. The researcher has several options, the primary being use departmental points first, and general later.
Some nodes cannot be researched, or even viewed, until a specific item or set of items has been scanned.
Automation
Supply-side is automated to some extent - item and number are submitted via any request console, which is to be approved by cargo staff.
Upon approval, the correct manufacturing equipment with the correct production run is printed from the designlathe
When making the items, they are automatically loaded onto a loaded crate, which is released when finished, and locked, depending on restriction.
The crate is automatically sent to the correct place (by request console) via MULE or Disposals.
As much of this or as little may be implemented. I suggest the first, second, and third. The fourth very much feels like a cargo thing to do.
Notes/Auxillary Ideas
Putting a produced item into a destructive analyzer for an “upgrade” to the design , making it cheaper. This may require that all prototype items get a prefix, or a special identifier. Probably not feasible.
As long as the production run is somewhere above one, using the production machine should always be cheaper than using the protolathe or autolathe.
Design disks can be sent to centcomm for supply points - but only once each. May be unfeasible, needing too many checks and variables.
The production machine should initially be located in cargo, and a lathe to print manufacturing equipment also in cargo.
Anything available in the autolathe is automatically available in the design database
The production machine requires authentication from a valid ID when producing restricted items.
But Why?
Gives cargo something more to do, becomes a bit more of an essential department
R&D speeds are boosted
Scientists are given something more to do
Science isn’t the “make me things” department, nor does cargo have to klutz about with getting materials to departmental protolathes.
But Why Not?
Usually, nothing is needed in numbers of above five or so. And so, making the manufacturing equipment is not worth the time/effort to do so. Hence, also making science the make me things department.
Easier for cargo to become isolated and declare cargonia, if the Quartermaster is feeling rebellious and the HoP or Captain are weak.
Cargo is generally not inclined to do anything for any other department, and some members of staff will not go up to cargo and ask for something, or do not have the time.
Even less viable for lowpop - below fourty players or so.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Re: The Production Machine and Design Database

Post by cedarbridge » #360587

I've read this several times and I still have no idea what its supposed to be.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #360614

you destroy something and can make more of it i guess
Gamersauce404
Byond Username: Gamersauce404

Post by Gamersauce404 » #360641

Basically, yeah, the core idea is an alternative to the proto/autolathe which is able to mass-produce whatever items that the proto/autolathe can, given a little bit more effort - maybe saving time or materials.

The other ideas follow on from this core idea.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #360645

/me destroys a wand of death
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #360648

all shitposting aside this doesn't sound that bad i guess? i'm not gonna bother trying to code it (as in someone else is free to do it lmao not my choice) till i do techwebs stuff and make it fun though.