Make consoles/tablets useable

A place to record your ideas for the game.
pogoco25
Byond Username: Pogoco25

Make consoles/tablets useable

Post by pogoco25 » #361384

I dont know about the rest of you but the only time I ever even touch a tablet is looking at alarms as an engi or atmos man or im the HoP and I want to set up a mobile hopline, and Consoles are wew hot trash. I think my problem is that they cant really be used for anything useful. No one is ever gonna use the chat client when the PDA message is a thing and why would you ever use the p2p file transfer? I kinda want consoles and tablets to be useful, and I think the way to go about this is probably add more software. Maybe an ebook thing that contains a copy of a whole bunch of guides from the wiki, or maybe something that lets you write custom programs, kinda like circuitry thing, but its more like making something that, say, shows sec records but sorts it based on wanted, parolled, etc, Or maybe a clown makes something that replaces all text on a computer with "honk". Probably a shit idea. I would love to hear what others think about consoles
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Make consoles/tablets useable

Post by CPTANT » #361472

PLEASE get rid of the stupid download menu.

Having to wait on a virtual version of a dial in connection to get to actually use programs isn't fun.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #361521

CosmicScientist wrote:I assume P2P is so you can meme it up as a team instead of murder spessmen before the shuttle's called in five minutes. Can all tablets even use the same programs? I know at least one or two programs I can download as some jobs tell me my hardware isn't compatible but it never said what hardware I'm missing and I can't recall if a head of the same department had less issue.

I know the tablet was supposed to replace the PDA but someone gave up before that could be achieved.
Need to rip off that band-aid at some point. Need to program all the features that PDAs have into the tablet system before it can be done however.

Then maybe the tablet can be a worthwhile replacement to the PDA, as right now it cant do things like scan the air, health scan, or send radio signals like the PDA can.

Right now it feels like tablets are abandoned code wise, I only ever use them for the alarm monitor program when I am an engineer, and most other programs aren't usable on tablets, like the power monitor.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #361836

because tgui sucks
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #366737

I like idea of custom programs for tablets. And idea of programs which can be modifyed ingame.
But not sure,how to achieve it. Because it must be something less crash dangerous than NTSL. And must have wider uses,which can't be covered with one script.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #366781

I've made NTNet packet networking far more accessible / feasible now and I'm sad no one's taking advantage of it.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #366807

I still think think tablets ought to be able to download programs from PDA cartridges to acquire programs not attainable from the downloader. It gives a reason to use the email system as you could send someone access to a program they normally wouldn't, like the lawyer sending a read-only Security Record to a greytider who can use it to monitor his arrest status
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #366810

Kevinz, I'll start making advantage my next PR. I'll make some machines to recieve NTnet signal.And operate with commands
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #366821

Anonmare wrote:I still think think tablets ought to be able to download programs from PDA cartridges to acquire programs not attainable from the downloader. It gives a reason to use the email system as you could send someone access to a program they normally wouldn't, like the lawyer sending a read-only Security Record to a greytider who can use it to monitor his arrest status
Imagine the lawyer getting bribed by the clown to get sent the mass PDA message program. The shenanigans!