[POLL]Rudimentary plumbing system (plus a potential new job)

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Plumbing system?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
Yes
20%
Yes, but with changes (please comment)
6%
6%
6%
No (please comment)
4%
No (please comment)
4%
No (please comment)
4%
Abstain
3%
Abstain
3%
Abstain
3%

Total votes: 90

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

[POLL]Rudimentary plumbing system (plus a potential new job)

Post by bandit » #28618

An idea I have for a new station job and system. This is merely a design document; I cannot into code or spriting. That said if someone is willing to partner on me it would be awesome. Pointing out flaws/bugs would be cool too.

WATER GENERATION

Water generation is currently magic: sinks and showers and water coolers and the like produce infinite water. This is now ogre. Sort of.

All the station's water is generated from a central source, which would probably be located in a maintenance room. This includes water from sinks and from showers, and possibly from the sprinkler system if that is added (nullifying the need for the sprinkler system to have its own separate beaker, although it could probably be rigged to, like medibots.)

Said central source is a water generator (sprite would probably look fairly similar to a water tower). The water tower will synthesize whatever reagent is in an attached beaker, and that reagent will be what comes out of said sinks/showers/etc. The beaker will be used up slowly -- I don't know the tick rate, but ideally it'd be something like needing a refill every 15 minutes or so -- and when it has run out, sinks and showers and the like will not produce water (messages for each: "The water appears to be slowing to a trickle." "You turn the spigot, but no water comes out!")

By default, the water generator starts out with a large beaker (100 units); it can be swapped out for a cryobeaker from R&D if more units and more time until maintenance is desired. There will be a water tank in the maintenance room (plus tile floors maybe?) for quick refills.

In case it isn't clear from above: if a reagent other than water is in the beaker, sinks and showers etc will produce that reagent, instead of water.

PLUMBING

The water generator is useless without a way to pump said water to the station. There are two ways to accomplish this:

- The thorough way: implement a full system of pipes. Given how laggy atmos is, I am reluctant to suggest this.
- The ghetto way: Next to the water generator is one pipe whose sprite disappears to the ground. It works like an atmos pipe and can be replaced with a pipe from the pipe dispenser should anything happen to it. Wrench to detach, wrench again to attach. This pipe is the sole point of failure; if the pipe works, the station gets water. If not, the station does not get water.

As is typical with real-life pipes, with sustained use this pipe will become corroded by rust. Enough corrosion builds up, water slows to a trickle. I envision this happening pretty much at the same rate weeds do for botany. To un-corrode the pipe, wrench it open and apply lubricant. Yes, space lube now has a purpose. If for some reason you want this to happen faster, add iron to the water generator (rust is iron).

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

- The water generator could be bombed or otherwise harmed. I envision this working like the gravitational generator, where it can be repaired but takes some time, but cannot be totally destroyed.
- A traitor could replace the water in the generator with nasty shit, like blood or poison or polyacid or mute toxin or chloral or a deathmix or you name it. This is probably going to be somewhat difficult to do, as chemists don't have access to this place and the really nasty shit requires chemistry. It will also be maintained often enough for technicians to notice if something horrifying is in there. That said it's possible. Extra fun: enterprising coattail traitors can pour themselves a bucket or beaker full of DEATH from sinks when this happens. It sounds OP but there are methods to do this in-game already (Oddy synthesizing, for instance) and they don't happen all the time. But it can be tested.
- The generator could run out of water and no one replaces it; see below. That said I don't envision any access restrictions so if an assistant wants to be a hero and break in with a ramen cup full of water to the generator, that's possible.

WHO WILL BE AFFECTED:

- Xenobiologists who use sinks for their job
- Chefs in need of water
- Botanists using sinks instead of tanks for their plants
- The janitor, if for some reason he refills from a sink
- Anyone who needs to wash blood off themselves, for whatever reason

I believe the on-station water tanks are more than sufficient to calm any tide of OH GOD I CAN'T GET WATER CALL THE SHUTTLE; if anything I think the capacity of each tank should be reduced, as just one or two tanks are enough to last an entire round. But this can be discussed. I don't remember whether chem dispensers can make pure water, but that is another potential source for water.

Firefighting will likely not be affected by this as extinguishers use water tanks. I don't even think they can use sinks.

Speaking of, it'd be cool if sinks and showers were buildable, but that is fairly low priority.

A NEW JOB?

A new job, the Plumber, will be responsible for all station water matters. This involves performing maintenance, improving the system (maybe you want to slip some tricord into the beaker for healing water? Maybe there's a cult, and you want to rig all sinks/etc to dispense holy water and create SHOWERS OF HOLY DEATH?) and such.

Alternately, the Plumber job can take on responsibility for the gravitational generator (this will likely require some new functionality for gravgen) and be Maintenance Technician. Alternatively it could be merged into atmos, so atmos is responsible for air and water. It all depends on how much work you want one job to do.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
MedicInDisquise

Re: Rudimentary plumbing system (plus a potential new job)

Post by MedicInDisquise » #28625

As long as the plumber gets a mario hat.

But, seriously. Sounds good. I could just imagine the chefs wondering. "Why is everyone dying when they drink my soup?"
bandit

Post by bandit » #28627

MedicInDisquise wrote:As long as the plumber gets a mario hat.

But, seriously. Sounds good. I could just imagine the chefs wondering. "Why is everyone dying when they drink my soup?"
Station plumbers will of course be provided with red jumpsuits and caps (with a green alternate jumpsuit available in equipment lockers) and wear saggy pants.

admin feedback pls
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #28631

You really want the water sprinklers, don't you?

I like this, though. All of this sounds great. I'd say it would be easy to reuse the atmos code, but I think nobody likes to touch atmos code.

In the eventuality that a complete piping system for water distribution is developed, I will dread water sprinklers and broken pipes lubing fucking everything.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #28633

bandit wrote: PLUMBING

The water generator is useless without a way to pump said water to the station. There are two ways to accomplish this:

- The thorough way: implement a full system of pipes. Given how laggy atmos is, I am reluctant to suggest this.
I don't think the laggy part of atmos is the Pipes, It's more so to do with the flowing of moles of gas between each tile as they level out and spread a bit similair to conway's game of life.

For example, Disposals are also a pipe system and that doesn't appear to lag.
I myself coded another seperate item pipe system for shits and giggles once, No lag.
私は完璧
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28635

Would the piping be easy to implent then? Code wise, of course. The map would need a bit of work.
Remie Richards
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #28637

Scott wrote:Would the piping be easy to implent then? Code wise, of course. The map would need a bit of work.
Depends on if you want to simulate the water being in every pipe segment, or just as a sort of "hitscan" for if water can get from A to B or not.
One of those is obviously more intensive than the other, but both would be fine.

Not sure on Atmos but Disposals basically put you inside an item when you enter the pipe and physically move along the pipe segments, which would be the "every pipe segment" version.

The worst part of the implementation would be the map work.
私は完璧
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28639

I don't think simulating water flow is necessary for this. Just a check for being connected to the supply. Pressure could be simulated, so if there's a leak near the supply, the sinks and showers far away lose their connection. In this case, somehow hacking or breaking the water supply device, pipes and sinks could burst and flood the surrounding tiles, keeping them permanently wet until water runs out.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #28642

Scott wrote:I don't think simulating water flow is necessary for this. Just a check for being connected to the supply. Pressure could be simulated, so if there's a leak near the supply, the sinks and showers far away lose their connection. In this case, somehow hacking or breaking the water supply device, pipes and sinks could burst and flood the surrounding tiles, keeping them permanently wet until water runs out.
So Tank A draws a line to Shower B and as long as there are working pipes on that line have it work,
With said line spawning water when it reaches a broken pipe?

You'd basically have a little object running along the pipes checking the connections.
私は完璧
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28643

And with that, plumbing would fall to the janitor / new job plumber. Have to wrench leaking pipes, replace pipes, keep that water supply working.
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #28660

>Being able to make the sinks produce blood when you use them
Time to spook the station.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28669

This needs a way to expand the water system though. Install more shower heads, etc. Being able to make the sinks (that really only the chef seriously uses) produce stuff or not is kinda minimal. If you could make piped water actually matter for more things that would be interesting. Things like fire sprinkler systems would be something to look at. Fires happen all the time and fires in space are generally bad news. Thus, we need sprinkler systems like we have on even terran structures to put them out. Junction them to the main water lines. Then anyone fucking with the system can fill them with whatever and start setting off the fire alarms.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #28674

cedarbridge wrote:This needs a way to expand the water system though. Install more shower heads, etc. Being able to make the sinks (that really only the chef seriously uses) produce stuff or not is kinda minimal. If you could make piped water actually matter for more things that would be interesting. Things like fire sprinkler systems would be something to look at. Fires happen all the time and fires in space are generally bad news. Thus, we need sprinkler systems like we have on even terran structures to put them out. Junction them to the main water lines. Then anyone fucking with the system can fill them with whatever and start setting off the fire alarms.
All of this.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #28686

I really like the idea, but the only problem is the average crewmember doesn't rely on water too much. It simply isn't an important resource in SS13.
bandit

Post by bandit » #28690

cedarbridge wrote:This needs a way to expand the water system though. Install more shower heads, etc. Being able to make the sinks (that really only the chef seriously uses) produce stuff or not is kinda minimal. If you could make piped water actually matter for more things that would be interesting. Things like fire sprinkler systems would be something to look at. Fires happen all the time and fires in space are generally bad news. Thus, we need sprinkler systems like we have on even terran structures to put them out. Junction them to the main water lines. Then anyone fucking with the system can fill them with whatever and start setting off the fire alarms.
Yeah, the way I envisioned it was having water be more important. How, I'm not quite sure. (It isn't a coincidence that I posted about the sprinkler at the same time of this -- I do feel that more jobs and more points of !!FUN!! would benefit the game, and this was an obvious avenue.)

As I said I cannot into code -- my guess was that a full water system would be laggy (based on, like, SimCity and shit) but if it is doable that would be cool as well.

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28691

bandit wrote:
Yeah, the way I envisioned it was having water be more important. How, I'm not quite sure. (It isn't a coincidence that I posted about the sprinkler at the same time of this -- I do feel that more jobs and more points of !!FUN!! would benefit the game, and this was an obvious avenue.)

As I said I cannot into code -- my guess was that a full water system would be laggy (based on, like, SimCity and shit) but if it is doable that would be cool as well.
Sim games also attempt to simulate water service to nearly every functional square of their maps. That requires a lot of processing and math based on its levels of interaction with the things on those squares. In this case, the only things that need to be checked for is the reagent in the pipe, if the connection between point A and B is uninterrupted and if the thing requesting the reagent is "on" or "off." Thus, a sprinkler with mater in the service tank (or your generator) would simply need to check for "Is there a line from me to the service tank?" if yes, it serves whatever that reagent is (water) to the sprinkler (assuming it is turned on.)

The more I think about the fire control sprinklers the more I like the idea and the earlier discussion about a sort of "hitscan" pipe check would probably function just fine in a fairly low-lag low-drag way.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28694

>implement ANOTHER shitty buggy laggy piping crap that absolutely nobody will care about because if you need to wash you just use space cleaner which is infinite, xenobio uses fire extinguishers which with water tanks are nigh-infinite, botany also uses tanks and nobody cares about chef

...yeah
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28706

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:>implement ANOTHER shitty buggy laggy piping crap that absolutely nobody will care about because if you need to wash you just use space cleaner which is infinite, xenobio uses fire extinguishers which with water tanks are nigh-infinite, botany also uses tanks and nobody cares about chef

...yeah
We should avoid adding features to this game because bugs might exist. Clearly this is a sane argument. I mean, it hasn't even been coded yet but we already know its going to be buggy and lag the server to hell. Apparently!
bandit

Post by bandit » #28708

I don't understand how space cleaner is infinite -- surely it is limited by chem dispensers' energy and/or chemists' responsiveness (the real limiting factor in most rounds)? It also takes at least a small amount of effort to get if the spray bottles haven't been taken/stolen already. A very marginal benefit: if a traitor has fucked the water supply, soap is more important.

As for water tanks, I said in the OP that I think the capacity should be greatly reduced. There is no reason to have as much water in tanks on the station as there currently is. Literally the only argument I can think of against this is that it would perhaps require fuel tank capacity to be reduced as well to correspond, which would fuck over blob rounds.

And as for not many jobs using water, that is a valid point and one I hope will hook into new features. Like atmos, plumbing isn't gonna affect every round (nuke ops and revs don't give a shit, for instance) but I think it could perhaps affect more jobs. Hydroelectric turbines that engineering can set up as an alternative to the sing/solars? Miners getting a backpack fracking system they fill from the bathroom sink? A Super Soaker for the clown?

admin feedback pls
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28714

I wouldn't rely on a plumber for electricity, but the hydroelectric engine is a good idea. Maybe if the engineers had their own supply. The fracking sounds awesome.

Water jetpacks, water guns, water balloons, crowd control water cannon for security.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #28717

cedarbridge wrote:We should avoid adding features to this game because bugs might exist.
Duh. This is fucking obvious.
cedarbridge wrote:I mean, it hasn't even been coded yet but we already know its going to be buggy and lag the server to hell.
If we're gonna code pipes in a good way, I'd sooner have atmos and disposals rewritten than some new system with limited usefulness.

Not to mention that nobody's gonna code it anyway.
bandit wrote:I don't understand how space cleaner is infinite -- surely it is limited by chem dispensers' energy and/or chemists' responsiveness (the real limiting factor in most rounds)? It also takes at least a small amount of effort to get if the spray bottles haven't been taken/stolen already. A very marginal benefit: if a traitor has fucked the water supply, soap is more important.
Important for what? The only way you can get dirty is blood and nobody cares about it.
bandit wrote:As for water tanks, I said in the OP that I think the capacity should be greatly reduced. There is no reason to have as much water in tanks on the station as there currently is. Literally the only argument I can think of against this is that it would perhaps require fuel tank capacity to be reduced as well to correspond, which would fuck over blob rounds.
So even if you manage to make a couple of non-vital departments depend on water supply and plumbing, what's that gonna accomplish? Your idea will have a reason to be added?

This just looks to me like adding a feature for the sake of adding a feature. Nobody needs it, but we'll make it so they need it! It would be fine, if the feature wasn't so complex and include pipes.

That said, having some sort of "water generator" magically supply all sinks through blue-space or whatever should be fine. Just no pipes pls.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28728

If there's no pipes, there might as well not be anything. It would just be a minor annoyance when someone fucked with the supply. Pipes allow for fuckery of a superior level. And it could work like APCs do, so you wouldn't have to connect every single output to a pipe. This way you can easily have water sprinklers and fire sprinklers.

Cryo and cloning pods should use water.
bandit

Post by bandit » #28730

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:This just looks to me like adding a feature for the sake of adding a feature. Nobody needs it, but we'll make it so they need it! It would be fine, if the feature wasn't so complex and include pipes.

That said, having some sort of "water generator" magically supply all sinks through blue-space or whatever should be fine. Just no pipes pls.
I've already stated my opinion on new content, which is that I am for it and there has not been much of it in a long time. I think this is a fairly obvious and common-sense gap in jobs that would plausibly have to exist on a space station -- I mean, NASA has an entire page on their water generation shit. The fact that water is magically generated has never seemed right to me. I am also for new content that opens up new wrinkles in playstyle and antaging and in this case counter-antaging (holy water/cult) and I believe this qualifies. I've also proposed a solution for the pipe lag issue, if it even turns out to be an issue.

As for "nobody needs it" I am trying to avoid suggesting things that would inconvenience everyone or cause immediate shuttle calls, or and are shitty hamfisted game mechanics in general, like a thirst meter. I would rather see water become important simply because it is used for a lot of station activities that people would want to do.
Important for what? The only way you can get dirty is blood and nobody cares about it.
That is more properly a security/detective and perhaps an RP problem. I think officers should be more proactive about searching people and scanning things when there is reasonable evidence, i.e. COVERED IN BLOOD. But that is for another thread.

admin feedback pls
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28758

Sarcasm and the Internet being what they are, I'll assume you were also intentionally be obtuse here.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:We should avoid adding features to this game because bugs might exist.
Duh. This is fucking obvious./

Given zero indications from the concept that bugs would arise, there is no reason to shit up an Ideas thread about possible phantom bugs that have not materialized and there is no codifiable way to examine without actually coding them. This is a lazy way of avoiding talking about the actual concept. If your crystal ball can see these bugs, please tell us what they'll be before the code even gets started.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:I mean, it hasn't even been coded yet but we already know its going to be buggy and lag the server to hell.
If we're gonna code pipes in a good way, I'd sooner have atmos and disposals rewritten than some new system with limited usefulness.
Disposals is ironically your own counterargument. Its a pipe system that actually moves everything square per square and doesn't actually lag the server. The proposal in this thread does no more than that (if that.) Also, we've already talked about why atmos lags but disposals (both pipe systems) doesn't You're lumping both together because they both involve pipes and that's silly.

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Not to mention that nobody's gonna code it anyway.
Well, shit, I guess we're done here, close the Ideas board.

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:So even if you manage to make a couple of non-vital departments depend on water supply and plumbing, what's that gonna accomplish? Your idea will have a reason to be added?
Your barrier for entry doesn't really make sense here. On one hand you complain there's no reason to mess with this because it would never get used (in spite of suggestions like sprinkers/hydro waterers, etc) and then turn around and act like uses for the system don't respond to your complaint. You're just complaining for complaint's sake now.

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:This just looks to me like adding a feature for the sake of adding a feature. Nobody needs it, but we'll make it so they need it! It would be fine, if the feature wasn't so complex and include pipes.
[/qoute]
Sounds like the definition of a feature. You add something and add a way to use it.

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:That said, having some sort of "water generator" magically supply all sinks through blue-space or whatever should be fine.

That's essentially what the system does. The pipes (if you even read that part of the thread beyond the word "pipes") function roughly the same way electrical lines do The generator provides all water-connected services with whatever is placed in it, the pipes check for valid connections, valid connections are served. Its really not that complex.
Lo6a4evskiy wrote:Just no pipes pls.
Considering most of your arguments stem from not knowing how pipes work (apparently) but just assuming that pipes = atmos code is silly. We talked about the difference between pipes and what causes atmos lag already in this thread. You should read it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #28827

We could add poo and put that in sewer plumbing as well.

:+1: from me
bandit

Post by bandit » #28834

oranges this is not the shitty ideas thread

admin feedback pls
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #28835

bandit wrote:shitty ideas
Get it? GET IT?
oranges wrote:We could add poo
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #28904

Plumbing Station 13! Antag plumber secretly switches the water with welding fuel (or liquid plasma) and starts a fire, sprinklers become deathlers!
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #28930

Additional idea that makes this seem appealing without the need for sprinklers: We already have hunger, add in thirst. Put water fountains around the station (near vending machines).

Reduce the number of food and drinks you can get from vending machines (I've wanted this for a while to increase the need for chef). This way people need to use the fountains for water, and a competent plumber will keep everyone happy. But an antag plumber (or anyone else) can make everything very dire.

The issue is if you're going to introduce a job, you have to make sure it either impacts the round in some way tangibly, or is heavy on crew interaction. If you add in thirst to go along with hunger, then people will need to stop by water fountains to take a quick drink and continue along their way.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #28946

Lets turn this into a poll to see how people like it.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Re: [POLL]Rudimentary plumbing system (plus a potential new

Post by Raven776 » #28962

I don't really like the whole idea of infinite reagents coming out of showers and sinks. For one, you could easily fill a beaker with DD, tricord, kelotane, dexalin+, bicardine, and any other healing chemicals you want to throw into the mix and it would make medbay entirely useless. People would be hanging out in the showers or shooting themselves up from the sink.

And it would be impossible to keep this from being an indefinite thing because by what you're saying, the chemicals could just be extracted out of a nearby sink and put right back into the machine to fill up the beaker.

Edit: In favor of being constructive, one suggestion to deal with this problem is to have it required to have the pipes full of 50% or more water and to have the excess chemicals disappear before the water does, making it eventually dilute over time if you try to fill the tank from a sink over and over.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28963

Limit it to basic chemicals then? Though that would make lube sprinklers impossible.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28975

Raven776 wrote:For one, you could easily fill a beaker with DD, tricord, kelotane, dexalin+, bicardine
Unless I missed something, you can't absorb tricord through your skin
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #28979

QuartzCrystal wrote:Additional idea that makes this seem appealing without the need for sprinklers: We already have hunger, add in thirst. Put water fountains around the station (near vending machines).

Reduce the number of food and drinks you can get from vending machines (I've wanted this for a while to increase the need for chef). This way people need to use the fountains for water, and a competent plumber will keep everyone happy. But an antag plumber (or anyone else) can make everything very dire.

The issue is if you're going to introduce a job, you have to make sure it either impacts the round in some way tangibly, or is heavy on crew interaction. If you add in thirst to go along with hunger, then people will need to stop by water fountains to take a quick drink and continue along their way.
everyone goes assistent
Food supply to short
if we gonna thirstvwe can just addurine and poo to
and make it able to grab withva beaker and drink it
old goonstation times when poo existed
The future is horrible!
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #28981

cedarbridge wrote:
Raven776 wrote:For one, you could easily fill a beaker with DD, tricord, kelotane, dexalin+, bicardine
But you can drink it.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28984

Scott wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
But you can drink it.
That was more of a response to the comment about standing in healing showers or something.

I'm not a huge fan of sinks passing on the inserted contents anyway. It wouldn't even make sense without adding proper poisons that could be added to the water and even then nobody actually needs to drink to get by in a day.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #28989

I don't think people will like have a second hunger bar to maintain.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #28998

Reimoo wrote:I don't think people will like have a second hunger bar to maintain.
This wouldn't be so bad if eating through a helmet wasn't such a pain in the ass.
Douk
Byond Username: Douk

Post by Douk » #29001

Reimoo wrote:I don't think people will like have a second hunger bar to maintain.
Hunger, food, and drinks as a whole need an overhaul to make them relevant to begin with. There needs to be some sort of major consequence to neglecting such needs, like starvation eventually causing melee damage to decrease (due to muscle atrophy), and eventual damage. Same thing with water: it would be a necessary survival element that forces players to ensure that the station supplies are adequately stocked and the more reclusive jobs actually have to come out of their hiding holes every once and a while. I suppose this is a discussion for another thread though.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29005

That makes it even worse. Doubling the negative effects will only make hunger more annoying that it already is. Nobody likes debuffs.

Instead, I would reverse it to where eating/drinking gives you temporary buffs such as increased movement speed, heal over time effect or even reduced stun time (alchohol)? Of course, these bonuses would practically unnoticeable, but positive reinforcement is always preferable to negative reinforcement.
bandit

Post by bandit » #29030

fucking fuck, guys

literally one of the top 10 worst game mechanics that any designer can rattle off is thirst (also hunger but spessmen hunger is basically a joke)
Raven776 wrote:I don't really like the whole idea of infinite reagents coming out of showers and sinks. For one, you could easily fill a beaker with DD, tricord, kelotane, dexalin+, bicardine, and any other healing chemicals you want to throw into the mix and it would make medbay entirely useless. People would be hanging out in the showers or shooting themselves up from the sink.
You could. But this would require crew cooperation and would not last forever. Given crew relations right now -- try being botanist and having to literally beg for mutagen -- it will probably be fairly hard to convince chemistry to give you one beaker of healing mix, let alone another after it runs out. I am generally in favor of shit that rewards cooperation.

admin feedback pls
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #29234

bandit wrote:fucking fuck, guys

literally one of the top 10 worst game mechanics that any designer can rattle off is thirst (also hunger but spessmen hunger is basically a joke)
Raven776 wrote:I don't really like the whole idea of infinite reagents coming out of showers and sinks. For one, you could easily fill a beaker with DD, tricord, kelotane, dexalin+, bicardine, and any other healing chemicals you want to throw into the mix and it would make medbay entirely useless. People would be hanging out in the showers or shooting themselves up from the sink.
You could. But this would require crew cooperation and would not last forever. Given crew relations right now -- try being botanist and having to literally beg for mutagen -- it will probably be fairly hard to convince chemistry to give you one beaker of healing mix, let alone another after it runs out. I am generally in favor of shit that rewards cooperation.
Whenever I'm chemist the second of third thing I do is give the botanist a beaker of mutagen. (First is cryo, of course)

Anyways, you could just make it so that putting chemicals in the water supply dilutes them. For example, the station starts out with 100,000 units of water or something. If you made it so that the only practical way to inject chemicals was to use a special device, it would be ok.
Example, plumbing unit called 'Injector,' where you bring a certain amount of chemical X. It injects X amount into the supply to keep the chemical concentration at Y%.
There are always possibilities to screw people over. For example, put the injector to inject polyacid or something.
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29257

cedarbridge wrote:Considering most of your arguments stem from not knowing how pipes work (apparently) but just assuming that pipes = atmos code is silly. We talked about the difference between pipes and what causes atmos lag already in this thread. You should read it.
Yes, I suppose I kind of missed my own point. I apologize.

The point is, currently you want to add this and THEN add a reason for it to be in. Please don't make a couple of departments suddenly more dependent on water, that is artificial and serves little actual purpose.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29301

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:Considering most of your arguments stem from not knowing how pipes work (apparently) but just assuming that pipes = atmos code is silly. We talked about the difference between pipes and what causes atmos lag already in this thread. You should read it.
Yes, I suppose I kind of missed my own point. I apologize.

The point is, currently you want to add this and THEN add a reason for it to be in. Please don't make a couple of departments suddenly more dependent on water, that is artificial and serves little actual purpose.
Considering that the addition of what is normally considered a "basic" service is itself somewhat "basic", it makes sense to consider uses and integrations. I've already said, I'm not a huge fan of ideas like feeding chems into sinks or adding thirst. Frankly, I'm a big enough fan of fire sprinklers (both for non-hostile practical reasons as well as possible antag interactions (mediborg/serviceborg subversion even becomes an interesting possibility under the right conditions) to consider it anyway so I'd like to also consider interesting ways to use water without turning it into a hassle.
Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #29388

More importantly, introducing new methods for antagonists to sabotage the station is always a plus. But as of right now, this idea is a weak one because no traitor is going to bother sabotaging something nobody will notice or even care about. Making water important needs to come first.
bandit

Post by bandit » #29417

Reimoo wrote:More importantly, introducing new methods for antagonists to sabotage the station is always a plus. But as of right now, this idea is a weak one because no traitor is going to bother sabotaging something nobody will notice or even care about. Making water important needs to come first.
Bolding mine. In general my reasoning behind this change is threefold:

1. I am trying to open up new and unexplored avenues for traitors to actually sabotage stuff, as opposed to murderboning.

2. It never seemed right for a game like SS13 to have infinite/magical resources, particularly not for something as critical IRL to a space station as its water supply, and

3. The jobs are stale. We need something new for people to do.

admin feedback pls
Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #29467

Reimoo wrote:More importantly, introducing new methods for antagonists to sabotage the station is always a plus.
Er, well, maybe, but not if it serves no other purpose. Like, as a result of sabotage of this thing, a couple of departments will be just left with nothing to do for the rest of the round and... that's it. Nobody's gonna bother to fix it because nobody's affected by it.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29506

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:
Reimoo wrote:More importantly, introducing new methods for antagonists to sabotage the station is always a plus.
Er, well, maybe, but not if it serves no other purpose. Like, as a result of sabotage of this thing, a couple of departments will be just left with nothing to do for the rest of the round and... that's it. Nobody's gonna bother to fix it because nobody's affected by it.
This is still assuming that the only thing plumbing would do is change the sinks. Which isn't and needn't be the case.
Remie Richards

Post by Remie Richards » #29644

[youtube]SiAG5NYE05Q[/youtube]

I wrote some water code.
have fun.
私は完璧
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #29653

Because somebody's going to ask. Does it lag? What sort of calls does it actually make in those cells? I mean, it clearly pushes things around and occupies non-table squares entirely, but what other effects does it currently have?