Particle Physics - New Science Dept

A place to record your ideas for the game.
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Particle Physics - New Science Dept

Post by delaron » #364180

So I am still brushing up on my coding chops in regard to SS13. I figure before I start the process or figuring the system out I would share my idea that got me interested in coding for SS13 in the first place

New Science Department

Particle Physics Lab

Machines:
1 Deconstructor
1 Computer Station
2 Particle Launchers
1 Accelerator loop

The idea being

1. Take objects around the station and deconstruct them.
2. Depending on the object this adds different "particles" to a particle bank.
3. Create 2 complex particles from computer screen (adding particles together from the particle bank).
4. Transfer complex particles to the Particle Launchers.
5. Prime your accelerator loop (atmo pipe loop in the room) by filling it with a gas blend.
6. Fire Particle Launchers.
7. Collect Science points, create a mini anomaly, create a normal sized anomaly, create a anomaly core, create a portal to random? location, pull all items in the room towards point, push all items in room, teleport something/someone? etc

Thoughts? I feel like its easy enough to randomize so its always a new set of mini games and allows for a couple fun things that replicate a gameified science experience.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Re: Particle Physics - New Science Dept

Post by WJohnston » #364218

this is literally just a more complicated experimentor machine.
Apparently I was an director or something.
delaron

Post by delaron » #364227

Yup! But with more tweakables and functional engagement.
-------
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #364234

I think that how fun/interesting this is would depend on what the possible outcomes are and wether or not the setup affects the outcomes.

The outcomes you listed are okay, but probably not enough for an entire extra science department.

Making it so setups affect the results would let people experiment and try to find the best one, which is often more interesting than the results themselves (like the new atmos gasses).
delaron

Post by delaron » #364256

TribeOfBeavers wrote:I think that how fun/interesting this is would depend on what the possible outcomes are and wether or not the setup affects the outcomes.

The outcomes you listed are okay, but probably not enough for an entire extra science department.

Making it so setups affect the results would let people experiment and try to find the best one, which is often more interesting than the results themselves (like the new atmos gasses).

Totally agree and my initial post was a snippet of the total idea. It would be a matter of gas loop setups locks in the available effects and particle combinations setup adjust the % chance of specific effect. It would be likely multiple effects such as added research points and a secondary effect from a large table.

My thinking is once you unlock an effect you can call on the effect with more control for different application.
-------
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #364497

"Woops, I accidently made a black hole"
FUND IT.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #364509

I welcome new and interesting Science content (I do always!) following the double-whammy hits it took recently. Nothing like having That One Round where I 'accidentally' teleport Ashwalkers into the lab!
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #364529

[youtube]DwGcKFMxrmI[/youtube]
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #364794

kevinz000 wrote:"Woops, I accidently made a black hole"
FUND IT.
Don't if admins insist on banning for it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #364949

I like the idea of making the particle accelerator constructable, so science can get a billion points by building an accelerator that fills the whole central hallway ring
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕