Detoxify dispensers, manifest mutagen

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Jegub
Byond Username: Jegub
Github Username: jegub

Detoxify dispensers, manifest mutagen

Post by Jegub » #367757

When chemistry dispensers were altered to be movable, my initial reaction was vaguely positive; if the lab was partially destroyed the equipment could now be relocated somewhere safe, I thought.
In practice what it has meant is that one or both dispensers will get stolen, most frequently by botanists but I've seen bartenders, virologists and scientists helping themselves as well. Generally this will happen in the first few minutes of the shift, but it's not uncommon to come back from setting up cryo or performing an appendectomy to find the place trashed in your brief absence. This seems to be regarded as an IC issue but trying to get security, if available, to show interest in an AWOL source of explosives and poisons is largely futile. The average time to recover a dispenser is over twenty minutes for me, as the probability that the perpetrator will refuse to return it and assault you is high enough that you need to make preparations for that eventuality. An inexperienced player will likely find themselves without a job for the duration under those circumstances.
No other role has to deal with the fundamental tools of their trade being habitually removed.
A great thing about being a chemist is that you have the opportunity to assist and enable so many departments and individuals, and the converse of this is that when one department arrogates the equipment for themselves then everyone else misses out and the shift can stagnate as a result. No single other profession can make effective use of a dispenser alone, so they will sit around idle for much of the time.

A compromise between immobility and a free-for-all occurred to me today - introduce an anti-theft mechanism. Unless deactivated by being swiped with an appropriate ID, a dispenser could administer an electric shock when someone tries to unwrench it. If no one's currently running chemistry then fine, obtain or effect access to the equipment and make what you need, but leave the dispenser where it is for the sake of all the other people who might need to use it as well. If there's a genuine reason to move it, e.g. an evacuate to mining event, then this can be achieved.

The current situation for botanists mutating plants is the source of this unpleasantness, the selfish behaviour having spread like herpes from there. Now that the stock DNA manipulator cannot improve production speed some mutagen (typically under 150 units) is necessary to bootstrap the process of developing an organic mutagen source in a realistic timeframe. A starter supply should really be available from the vendors, in 50 unit bottles that can be set to 1 or 2 units like fertiliser bottles, as part of the contraband selection. The effective doses could also be reduced to 2 units for inducing species mutation, and 1 unit for a strong stat mutation.
Portable chem dispensers could provide radium, phosphorous and chlorine without needing advanced components, or a simplified board akin to the lifebringers' dispenser could be made available. The idea of allowing mutagen to be made in biogenerators also seems feasible.

Civilised interdepartmental interaction would be the optimal solution, but this is the situation as stands, and it's a detriment to the game.
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Re: Detoxify dispensers, manifest mutagen

Post by Selea » #367823

Yes,just give botanist fucking dispenser. Maybe simplified. In 99%cases,botanists needs only saltpetre,mutagen and cryoxadon. But shitloads of them.sometimes they need sugar for traitoring/griefing.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #367937

my personal policy is i will scream over radio about it once and then if anyone doesn't listen about "not stealing the dispensers" i gulag them for 1000 and let them cry their salty tears over the volcanic ash.
more sec players should do this it cuts down on fucktards stealing them by alot.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #367951

Selea wrote:Yes,just give botanist fucking dispenser. Maybe simplified. In 99%cases,botanists needs only saltpetre,mutagen and cryoxadon. But shitloads of them.sometimes they need sugar for traitoring/griefing.
Alternatively you could not be a tiding douchebag.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #367990

I agree on mutagen starter supplies.

Science gets minerals and sacid beakers, miners get vouchers, virology has a fridge full of bottles, even the chef starts with a box full of cooking supplies. Not to mention the plasma bars everywhere.

I'm all for gulagging people who steal dispensers though.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368009

give em 50-100u mutagen and a dropper.
they don't need a dispenser.
people who steal dispensers need to be shown the meaning of shitcurity.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #368025

Add more steps for unsecuring the chem dispenser too.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #368032

kevinz000 wrote:give em 50-100u mutagen and a dropper.
they don't need a dispenser.
people who steal dispensers need to be shown the meaning of shitcurity.
Honestly mutagen isn't really the issue, you can ask for that and get it.
It's more things like saltpeter.
Denton

Post by Denton » #368036

kevinz000 wrote:people who steal dispensers need to be shown the meaning of shitcurity.
Bucklecuff and use them as a blood bag for Chemists to make synthflesh with
Dax Dupont wrote:Honestly mutagen isn't really the issue, you can ask for that and get it.
It's more things like saltpeter.
Yeah, RnD never upgrades the DNA machine and this is honestly the only reliable way to reach potency 100 during short /tg/ rounds.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #368040

I don't know why people are so opposed to just asking the chemists to make them something, it's literially their job to make chems for the crew. Too many people jump straight to stealing the dispenser/access. If the chemists seem to be new just tell them the recipe of what you want made.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #368041

TribeOfBeavers wrote:I don't know why people are so opposed to just asking the chemists to make them something, it's literially their job to make chems for the crew. Too many people jump straight to stealing the dispenser/access. If the chemists seem to be new just tell them the recipe of what you want made.
Hey can you make me (chemical)?
1)No reply.
2)Sorry I’m busy.
3)Sorry dispenser is out of energy.
4)I’ll make it soon.
5)I’ll make it soon. (Actually makes it soon).
6)I’ll make it now.
7)Chemistry is empty.

2/7 scenarios you get fuck all.
I play Boris Pepper.
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #368044

Those aren't scenarios, they're random responses you wrote down then acted like they represent actual statistics.

Shockingly, you may need to hold a conversation for more than one sentence to get what you want from someone.

1) PDA them, ask the CMO, if not then get access from the HoP etc.
2) "How soon can you get that made for me?" Or just come back in a minute when they're less busy and ask again.
3) Ask the 2nd chemist, or ask them to use the second machine.
4)"Okay, thank you", then come back and remind them/pick up your chems
5) No response needed
6) No response needed
7) PDA or radio for someone to come to chemistry, if there isn't anyone around ask the AI to open it, CMO or HoP for access, or break in.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #368070

"I need like 500 units of saltpetre"
>handed 30 and get told to come back if I need more

Classic
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #368073

Lazengann wrote:"I need like 500 units of saltpetre"

Classic
It is almost like chem dispensers have a limited store of energy that might need to be used for other things. If I am mass producing synthflesh I may not want to give you 250 energy worth of Saltpeter.

Also who can even build portable chem dispensers anymore? I dont see it in the medbay protolathe and the science department cant print them. considering you cant replaced the roundstart chem dispensers, and for some god awful reason they can be destroyed this is a problem.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368074

Classic
So what you're saying is that chemistry might have things to do that don't revolve around maxing your gaia potency? 500u of anything is a lot my dude.
Denton

Post by Denton » #368104

Classic
For some reason, most Chemists don't know that you can make ~15 100u plastic bottles in less than a minute or just have the ChemMaster spit out a bunch of 30u bottles.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #368110

Chemists are the worst people on the station, guaranteed. If there's only one chemist, botany is clear to take the other dispenser.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368111

Dr_bee wrote:

Classic
It is almost like chem dispensers have a limited store of energy that might need to be used for other things. If I am mass producing synthflesh I may not want to give you 250 energy worth of Saltpeter.

Also who can even build portable chem dispensers anymore? I dont see it in the medbay protolathe and the science department cant print them. considering you cant replaced the roundstart chem dispensers, and for some god awful reason they can be destroyed this is a problem.
Engineering
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368125

kevinz000 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Classic

Engineering
Why the hell would the one department with almost zero use for chem have the ability to print boards for chem machines?
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #368142

cedarbridge wrote:
kevinz000 wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:

Classic

Engineering
Why the hell would the one department with almost zero use for chem have the ability to print boards for chem machines?
Yeah that is somewhat counter-intuitive, should put them in the science circut printer, science got nerfed hard by techwebs and departmental lathes, I dont see much harm in giving them chem tools.
Selea

Post by Selea » #368157

usual set:800 saltpetre,100 cryoxadone,600 mutagen.
If "botanists stole my dispenser" is so often problem, why not just give them it?Botanic needs ridiciously big amounts of reagents. So it's logical to provide them dispenser.
Otherwise we have situation, where one profession needs to either give requests to another, which won't be fullfilled.Which encourages stealing of dispencer.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368159

because botany is powerful enough already they don't need to not have to ever exit their department.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368161

Selea wrote:Otherwise we have situation, where one profession needs to either give requests to another, which won't be fullfilled.Which encourages stealing of dispencer.
Because botany is not entitled to the "usual set" of min-max chem desires. The fact that you have to deal with another department to get the things you want 1) limits your access to those things and provides a limiter on the department's power controlled by a second player or department, which is typical of a lot of our systems intentionally 2) should serve to encourage botany to do things besides mass-produce max potency death gas grenade tomatoes and acid bananas (like make food) 3) encourage you to use other tools you have access to in order to cover gaps in the things you do get access to from other departments.

This is really reaching "give them an inch" territory.
Selea

Post by Selea » #368164

Another option.Give chemists way to mass produce reagents.To fast make for botanists shitloads of reagents. because making 1500 u total of reagents is annoying and devastating for chemists.
I am not against limiting access.I am against conflict of interests, when even existance of another department giveng a problems.
Example of good dept interaction: Science(old) and miners.They have different access, but job of each other helping both sides.
Chemists just don't want interact needed way. And what do they loose?omnizine? They don't give a fuck.
No now is situation in game balance, when one dept desperately needed help from another.And can offer very little what another dept wants.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #368171

idea, make botanists able to mass convert biomass to energy for the chem dispenser. The biogenerator is a handwave machine anyway, so why not let it create energy cells or something similar that botany can give to chemistry to slot into the dispensers for instant energy boosts? This would incentivize chemists to help botany and botany/chemistry both have a legitimate two-way and simple interaction that isn't niche like corn oil or whatnot.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368177

Selea wrote:Another option.Give chemists way to mass produce reagents.To fast make for botanists shitloads of reagents. because making 1500 u total of reagents is annoying and devastating for chemists.
I am not against limiting access.I am against conflict of interests, when even existance of another department giveng a problems.
Example of good dept interaction: Science(old) and miners.They have different access, but job of each other helping both sides.
Chemists just don't want interact needed way. And what do they loose?omnizine? They don't give a fuck.
No now is situation in game balance, when one dept desperately needed help from another.And can offer very little what another dept wants.
It was really hard to tell what you meant by a lot of this but it is certain that there is very little (apart from capsacin I guess) that chem wants or needs from botany. However, botany is very certain to let chem know that they want everything and the farm. This leads chem to give 1/3 of a fuck about botany's wants or needs and leads botany to try to burn down chem to get their meme fuel. I'm certain this could be addressed by giving botany a plant or trait that produces something that chemistry can't make but would want (an ingredient for corgium or something).

As it stands, there's a lot of antagonism against botany in general because they seem to be very needy of a lot of things but offer very little to other departments. This value went down further when tech webs were introduced. Apart from a community gaia plant and the occasional pod person, botany is just a bomb factory that occasionally turns into a pile of kudzu. This is exacerbated by the "I need it so I'm entitled to take it" thing that caused the complaint in the OP.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #368179

cedarbridge wrote:It was really hard to tell what you meant by a lot of this but it is certain that there is very little (apart from capsacin I guess) that chem wants or needs from botany. However, botany is very certain to let chem know that they want everything and the farm. This leads chem to give 1/3 of a fuck about botany's wants or needs and leads botany to try to burn down chem to get their meme fuel. I'm certain this could be addressed by giving botany a plant or trait that produces something that chemistry can't make but would want (an ingredient for corgium or something).

As it stands, there's a lot of antagonism against botany in general because they seem to be very needy of a lot of things but offer very little to other departments. This value went down further when tech webs were introduced. Apart from a community gaia plant and the occasional pod person, botany is just a bomb factory that occasionally turns into a pile of kudzu. This is exacerbated by the "I need it so I'm entitled to take it" thing that caused the complaint in the OP.
>Chem can make everything botany can

Largely true, but botany can make more, faster than chem can after the initial work is done.

>Botany is needy and entitled

Somewhat true, but the same could be said about old R&D and the chemists were still bastards then about giving ANY acid. Also, chemists rarely have anything needing to be done that's more than a meme project or producing more healing patches for medbay (a job that will never be done), so at best their excuse then is "I don't want to do it fuck you", which is extremely frustrating when you NEED more mutagen.

>Botany is too malicious

Straight up untrue. Botany is pretty damn harmless compared to chem itself, which can produce all manner of horrible shit. Botany has some very mean toys as well, but chem has them beat handily, barring an experienced botanist planting maxed kudzu everywhere.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #368213

Botany is actually the only source for omnizine and carpotoxin in any decent amount, which are ingredients in two of the most powerful healing chems in the game.

I would love something to aid in chem mass production, like a giant immobile vat to make chems.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #368235

The problem with botany is the real fun is gated behind either theft or a twenty minute wait for science stuff that may never come before the shuttle

If you gate fun behind theft then theft will happen often
Denton

Post by Denton » #368238

cedarbridge wrote:As it stands, there's a lot of antagonism against botany in general because they seem to be very needy of a lot of things but offer very little to other departments.
The issue is that A) botany needs a huge amount of chemicals and B) it is FAR easier to grow malicious plants than healing plants that aren't gaia.

The only unique beneficial plants are what, Ambrosia, Glowcaps, Holymelons, Koibeans and Replica Pods?

This results in people only noticing botanists when they nag for chemicals or kill people with acid smoke grenades.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #368241

Remove chem dispenser.
All base chemicals come from minerals, plants or asteroids. Chemistry extracts and mixes them. 1 bottle of mutagen for 10 pounds of enriched bananas.
Selea

Post by Selea » #368245

1.I like idea of giving for chemists stationary cauldron with packing unit.to just pour there 300 chlorine.300phosphorus.300 radium.And pack it into 18 bottles.Or something else.Possibly it must be stationary machine.
2.Idea of putting all needed botany fuel in biogenerator is very acceptable. Also I like idea of buffing biogen. Up to really wide menu of different clothes,leather things, backpacks, bags,satchels,condiments, etc.This will make botany closer to actually service. Because IIRC, bags/satchels is limited now.
Or split biogen even in several separate machines. One converting plants to biomass(reagent.not abstract points) .Another converts biomass in milk/fertilizers/reagents/mutagen.Third can use some of reagents to print clothes and other shit. I think, it's more interesting to put there whole industry.
3.Also might work expanding of chemistry. Make more interesting reactions. To make chemists ask botanists for reagents.
4.And about techwebs. Need mention, that they ruined one of few stable good relations between departments:mining and science.
Now miners don't need science directly.And scientists have no motivation to even idle, because now they have no toys.
If you think, that restrictions and nerfs are beneficial for department interactiion, this prooves, that you're wrong.
5.And seriously, problem now that botany needs chemicals desperately.Chemists need botany barely. And have very little actual possibility and motivation to fullfill botany demands. So just give em freaken mutagen,saltpetre and cryoxadone.
Another option--make start amount of mutagen and ability to produce cryoxadone and saltpetre. Cryoxadon also needed in medbay.
Selea

Post by Selea » #368247

Where plants needs nerf or rework--kudzu. Because you barely can do anything with this shit, if you haven't army of goats. Or didn't killed it at very start.
Jegub

Post by Jegub » #368392

The lifebringer ghost role is a fun addition to the game, but it seems to be giving a woefully false impression of what is expected of botanists on the station.

I'd like to address the perception that botany requires huge amounts of reagents. The first order of business for a botanist after unlocking the vendors, optimising tray placement and saving the essential stat disks is to produce their own mutagen supply by mutating pumpkins into blumpkins. You would be especially unlucky not to achieve this with 200 units of mutagen, let alone 600. Unless the plant is particularly potent splicing the requisite genes into something like chanterelles should be the next step toward mass production, as the short maturation speed and optimal production speed soon eclipses any need to raise potency over 50.

I don't see why you would need cryoxadone at all, and have never once used it myself. The unhealthy plant light will trigger when a plant's stats degrade following a mutation, this does not mean it is close to death. Unless you are continuing to use 5 unit doses it is extremely hard to kill a plant before its first harvest, I can only recall one time when that might have occurred. The only plant I know of that requires some healing to reach harvest is gatfruit, and that can easily be achieved by feeding it 2 unit doses of diethylamine from the unlocked vendor until the light extinguishes then switching back to robust harvest.

Saltpetre should be considered an indulgence, not a necessity. Persistence with strong stat mutations is the quickest method of achieving optimal potency in my experience, once in a while you will need to go over 50 doses because a plant fights you all the way, but you can grind up another batch of mutagen and keep trying in less time than it takes to go out on an errand. If I should hit production speed 1, yield 10 and a potency of 55 or greater on something vital like medicinal gaia then I'd consider asking for 90 units in order to capitalise on my good fortune, otherwise I would carry on.
500 units? 800 units? That's 250 and 400 free potency points respectively. How many plants are you growing that need 100 potency? If you're making medicinal gaia you've already had to run the seed through the manipulator to strip out the nutriment and vitamin and insert the makings of mannitol as a minimum, so you've naturally set the potency to 50 as well if it was below that. Let's say you actually have a genuine reason to make a debilitating or destructive plant such as prickly morphine holymelons to combat a cult, again the seed goes through the manipulator and comes out at at least 50 potency in the absence of upgrades. That's healing and offense covered. In the event of power issues some full strength plant batteries might be useful as well, although an inducer could charge the station with much less.
What else actually needs to be maxed out? Golden apples and ice peppers for mass producing gold bars, perhaps. The janitor can't keep up, so you decide to make them space cleaner smoke pumpkins? These would be beneficial, sure, but are they urgent enough to need another department's resources instead of some time and elbow grease?
Insert perennial growth and you will be flooded with more tower caps than you can chop without needing to touch their potency. A tray of 50 potency, 4 yield watermelons can feed a crew if need be. Medbay only needs a few units of carpotoxin to make a shift's supply of rezadone.

To put it in perspective 800 saltpetre, 100 cryoxadone and 600 mutagen, ignoring leftover precursors, is in excess of 200 points of dispenser energy, more than two full charges. It takes around 15 seconds for a dispenser to recharge 1 point, therefore it would take both dispensers over 25 minutes to regain the energy expended in fulfilling such a request.

Botany resembles xenobiology and virology in that it requires preparation, diligence and a modicum of luck to succeed. If someone compliments you on your garden it should be because you've put in the effort and RNGsus has smiled upon you, not because you've stripmined another department to sidestep the mechanics of the challenge posed to you. The line in the wiki "Not robust enough to steal a chem dispenser?" needs to go. There is nothing 'robust' about stealing a dispenser, in fact it's an admission of inability to understand and apply the resources given to you.

Bluespace, have you never had a scientist refuse to print you an item as they sit amidst stacks of unused materials? Never had a chef cleave you when you tried to make yourself some food because you're starving? Never seen a HoP grant themselves all access, shutter their office and wander the halls playing hopcurity? As with negligent service from chemists and indeed interdepartmental theft these are all issues with the person playing the role, not the role itself, and while it's unfortunate to know that you experienced this frequently enough to dislike a department generally I don't see how it has any relevance to trying to prevent the equipment being squirreled away where the vast majority of the crew cannot hope to benefit from it.

ShadowDimentio, objectively bad players tend to be the worst people on the station, and they can wind up anywhere. The other medbay personnel can also have access to the chemistry lab depending on staffing levels or the CMO's indulgence, and a worthwhile participant could sign up at any given moment. I've yet to hear a coherent argument as to how removing anyone else's ability to pick up the slack could be justifiable or desirable.

As regards the evident issues with botanical reagent abuse, consider the following:
  • Remove any effect on plants from cryoxadone and saltpetre, and swap the somatoray's weak stat mutation setting for a chance of increasing potency, since weak stat mutations have a tendency to be a protracted slide towards 0 potency/yield. That way anyone who doesn't want to take a chance on mutating stats can shoulder the grind of guaranteed improvement themselves rather than offloading it on others.
  • Swap the chlorine in blumpkins for methane, which fits the name better. Restrict unstable mutagen to affecting creatures and introduce a plant mutagen based on e.g. radium, phosphorous and methane. Botanists are issued a box of seven 30 unit bottles of this plant mutagen upon arrival. I usually ask for 180 units of mutagen to yield 36 chances and about 5% of the time that's not enough to get that single species mutation, so 42 chances sounds reasonable for a limited chemical. Perhaps provide a pamphlet detailing the need to make the department self sustaining and how to do so as a primer on using the manipulator. If you opt to ignore the directions and fritter it away on half-assed cannabis mutation instead then that's your decision. If a blumpkin specimen cannot be achieved with that supply then you just have to go back to basics and plant a row of pumpkins in Left4Zed then sit and ponder what you did to make the baby RNGsus cry.
  • Reintroduce research potential for plants to renew a reciprocal relationship with science and increase the probability of getting improvements for the manipulator, as opposed to the frequently asymmetric relationship with chemistry. Neither science nor hydroponics have any equipment the other covets, and each can provide for the other in the furtherance of their own interests.
That would close up what are essentially loopholes and require budding botanists to approach the task in the spirit in which it was developed.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #368397

RNG isn't fun mate
Jegub

Post by Jegub » #368855

If tying the opportunity for a tangible or symbolic benefit to a chance outcome did not provide a dopamine hit then we wouldn't have casinos and the vast majority of board games and role-playing systems would either be substantially different or have never been developed.

With one exception which relates to a possible bug in how weed growth is processed the restrictions added to the DNA manipulator have made the job more fun, as you're no longer pressured to cycle through an array of optimal stat disks to turn out a series of mathematically optimal plants. I'd prefer to take a chance at not producing a perfect plant than churn them out by rote.

I'll give a quick rundown of the round that brought me here to whinge, in case that helps:
I sign up as CMO, a chemist arrives and wants to experiment with voice activated grenades so I answer a couple of questions they had and suggest using the holodeck for testing. I use the other dispenser to start stockpiling some medicines.
While the chemist is off trying out a creation and I'm sorting an appendix a botanist smashes a desk and windoor and takes one of the dispensers.
I tell them it needs to be returned, when they don't let me in I start to dismantle a window. They come out and start hitting me with a hatchet so I sedate them. I leave 240 units of mutagen and 90 of saltpetre and return the dispenser.
The botanist starts spreading shadowshrooms in the hallways, when I go to spray them with plant-b-gone they kill me with combustible lemons. My corpse may have been spaced or stashed while I was cloning, it had been moved somewhere that wasn't medbay.
When I go to find out where my body is and see about getting the dispenser back again I'm informed that I'm a "selfish cunt".

Now, I've gone over the sequence in my head and I don't think I was being excessively selfish or cuntier than usual. I didn't want to be shouldering the chemist out of the way while they learned some new game mechanics, and since the botanist already had gaia that should have been enough chems to be getting on with. I suppose I could have done a better job of explaining why both dispensers were being used.

There's not much you can do to me in the context of a byzantine atmospheric simulator that's even going to register, but I don't like seeing people upset and the botanist in this case seemed especially aggrieved by the situation. Most of the time when I ask if they know how to make their own mutagen I find out they do but it's "too slow". You can get things rolling in two harvest cycles so I don't feel too sympathetic to that position but they do get upset and that gets you down sometimes.
I'm just trying to think of a way to get around this perception that a bunch of chemicals are vital to doing a good job, and encourage botanists to interact with R&D instead of Chemistry if they want to reduce the amount of randomness in the process. I thought the somatoray change might help, and perhaps the manipulators could be moved within sight of the corridor to encourage drive-by upgrades.

I wouldn't be much use as an admin, there'd frequently be too much going on for me to process effectively. I could try my hand at some spriting, but the graphic work I do is mostly vectors. I do get a kick out of showing other players some of the depth of what can be done in the game and trying to pass on tips about how to streamline processes. When it comes to botany I have categorically failed in this respect, and I wanted to try and illustrate how the current mechanics are perceived to see if there's any way of avoiding the hostility that develops.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368860

the best player on the server doesnt' want to be an admin
hurts

anyways i'm lazy, do we want chem dispensers to shock unless you unlock it or just make chemistry harder to break into? honestly the former's better but do we have any other ideas? (id locking them completely is bad and not an option :^))
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #368865

kevinz000 wrote:the best player on the server doesnt' want to be an admin
hurts

anyways i'm lazy, do we want chem dispensers to shock unless you unlock it or just make chemistry harder to break into? honestly the former's better but do we have any other ideas? (id locking them completely is bad and not an option :^))
Chemistry needs to be harder to break into. Nine times out of ten I have a hard time actually making stuff in chem as I am spending half my time throwing assistants, botanists, and clowns out as they try to break in.

Also give the medical protolathe the ability to make portable chem dispenser boards to replace stolen or destroyed dispensers, as engineering typically doesnt even know they can make them and science has had their ability to make them removed.
Selea

Post by Selea » #368867

Just give botanists fucking starting mutagen and fucking saltpetre.Better if you give dispenser.
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #368869

no botanists don't need to have even more powercreep.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #368874

Remember when botany was a quiet job you did that no one expected anything except flour from?

Good times
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #368877

kevinz000 wrote:no botanists don't need to have even more powercreep.
As a regular botanist player I actually agree, the mutagen resource gate is a handy time gate to prevent the more crazy shit botany can do.

Here is a hint if you want a alot of mutagen as a botanist, bring your own beakers, or give the chemist some extra beakers. coming with your own beakers saves the chemist a large amount of clicks, and giving them extra beakers is a wonderful gift to roundstart chemists.

In fact, a good way to solve this problem may be to give botany some extra 100 unit beakers to use or give to other departments as a bargaining chip.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #368883

hahahaha look at all these botany mains whining about how they dont get mutagen spoonfed to them
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #368884

BeeSting12 wrote:hahahaha look at all these botany mains whining about how they dont get mutagen spoonfed to them
It's more the sec/chem mains qqing when the botanists break in and steal chem machines because chem is always staffed by faggots
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #368890

The chem dispenser is literially chemistry's entire job, of course they're going to be upset when someone else feels they're entitled to take it because they're impatient.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368892

ShadowDimentio wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:hahahaha look at all these botany mains whining about how they dont get mutagen spoonfed to them
It's more the sec/chem mains qqing when the botanists break in and steal chem machines because chem is always staffed by faggots
Are you being stupid on purpose? Botanists breaking into a department and stealing essential machinery for what is literally not essential to botany makes the victims of the theft the faggots? wew fucking lad
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #368904

I'm all for some starting mutagen, I sure know the hell that is having the chem machines destroyed 2 minutes into the round, chemists being assholes and science ignoring your pleas for a shittier version of the machine you crave; I once spent an entire hour and half round just left4zeding all my trays full of glowshrooms in an attempt to mutate them for my gimmick plant.
Saltpetre on the other hand is more of a small luxury, since you will most probably want potency after getting your desired mutations, which will more often than not be achieved through having mutagen (if you run out of it doing retarded shit before setting up mutagen production first you deserve it, if you didn't manage with what you got then fuck, shit's sad, but that's life), with which you can just use at 1 or 2 units to achieve 100 potency after some grinding. 100 saltpetre is all you should ever need, since the most efficient thing to do is just mutating plants to your desired outcome, squeeze the genes out, put it into a 100 potency perennial growth wheat (which has 1 production speed right off the bat and 50 potency if you use the one on your glass table - hence the 100 saltpetre to get that extra 50) and just get infinite of your chem in no time or, if you put the right genes, just have your meme plant with a really fast production speed.

PD: if you steal the machine do it as unkown in a different outfit (use different fucking gloves in case you fear a detective actually doing his work), hide it in the maints you have access to behind a fake wall (so many retards just put it in plain sight and get rightfully btfo by either sec or the chemist) and then change back to avoid suspicion.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #368908

The portable chem dispenser is restricted to the medical circuit printer.

I'm not even sure all maps have said circuit printer on them.

Code change to make people go wacko for the chem dispensers proper even more?
I'm sure the chemists are thrilled.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #368918

Incomptinence wrote:The portable chem dispenser is restricted to the medical circuit printer.
I'm pretty sure its in the engineering protolathe. For reasons.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #368932

cedarbridge wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:
Are you being stupid on purpose? Botanists breaking into a department and stealing essential machinery for what is literally not essential to botany makes the victims of the theft the faggots? wew fucking lad
The virgin chemists vs the Chad botanists